The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 25, 2019, 04:35:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Edison in la  (Read 1042 times)
toxickun
Officer
United States United States

« on: July 28, 2011, 03:11:05 pm »

ok im not 21 yet (just turned 20 yestrday >x<) anywyas i just found this awesome industrial era like bar or place called The Edison o.o
im wondering if anyone knows about this, whats it like inside? :3 (is curious to know) is it a restraunt or a bar or both or what o.o and could i just waltz in?

...wth is a signature ._.
[sorry for my fail in grammar]
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:15:12 pm »

ok im not 21 yet (just turned 20 yestrday >x<) anywyas i just found this awesome industrial era like bar or place called The Edison o.o
im wondering if anyone knows about this, whats it like inside? :3 (is curious to know) is it a restraunt or a bar or both or what o.o and could i just waltz in?
(oh whoops its spelled los angeles) x-x stupid me.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:26:50 pm »

I went there a couple of years ago while on holiday (I grew up in SoCal, so I go back every few years), and The Edison is positively wonderful. It's ritzy, and most certainly on the high-end of prices (I spent about $400 on drinks and a couple of appetizers for a party of four), but it's worth it. It's built inside an old private power plant, and it's got a lot of the original eqipment still there (though fancied up and not actually operating). They've got great music, and they play old movies up on the walls, as it's kept pretty dark inside. It's a velvet-rope sort of place, and there is a dress code, but I had no trouble getting in as me and the boys were dressed rather dapper. All in all, it's a really good mix of steam and diesel.

Once you're of age, go. And make sure to reserve a table in advance.

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:37:49 pm »

oh wow, thats pretty intresting o.o. i never knew their was something like that here in la, would so love to go their someday! (although i never really experienced going to a bar or someplace fancy before (also it sounds like only high rich people goto so im not sure ill fit in at all T.T)
but thanks for sharing that with me :3
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:40:27 pm »

oh wow, thats pretty intresting o.o. i never knew their was something like that here in la, would so love to go their someday! (although i never really experienced going to a bar or someplace fancy before (also it sounds like only high rich people goto so im not sure ill fit in at all T.T)
but thanks for sharing that with me :3

It's not all highly rich people, just people willing to spend some extra cabbage on an elegant evening. It's a damn shame the boys who went with me aren't really on the forums any longer, They've been more than I have, since they live there, and they could probably have given you a better idea of the place.
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 03:45:53 pm »

(sweatdrops) but u spent like...about $400 on their... not to mention theirs a dress code and reservations idk i never been to something like that before DX and awwww D: im sorry to hear they dont hang out on the forums anymore :/ i hope they do indeed come back >x<
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 03:50:02 pm »

Yes, but I was paying for four people (despite their protests) and avid drinkers all. Making a reservation is simple, just a phone call. And I suspect you can put together something approprately elegant in a year's time Wink
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 03:57:14 pm »

...*looks at my closet* .....yeaaa no. . .god i need new clothing (hung my head low) =.=
well whats the dress cloths like?
(also it is all about alcohol their? cuz i don't really drink at all. >x<
<---is clean.

is that a bit of a problem?
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 03:59:07 pm »

...*looks at my closet* .....yeaaa no. . .god i need new clothing (hung my head low) =.=
well whats the dress cloths like?
(also it is all about alcohol their? cuz i don't really drink at all. >x<
<---is clean.

is that a bit of a problem?

Well, you certainly won't spend as much money, as it's primarily a bar. But check out the website for more details. I can't say much to the current state of it's afairs, as my visit was in 2009.
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »

Ah.. ok. ._.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 08:05:11 pm »

The Edison is fairly well known.  Several Abney Park music videos have been filmed there.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:38 pm »

Oh shoot really?!?!? I love abney park!! XD. so hows the people over their like?
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 06:40:49 pm »

Here's one of the rooms. I need to go there the next time I'm in LA. Someone should have a steampunk event there. I'd go down to LA for that.

They have a cute web site.

It's mostly a bar; the menu looks disappointing.
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 11:40:07 am »

Great god... that's beautiful o-o

And ohhhh so its mainly a bar,alright thank u for explaining that to me. :3
Fraulein Flieger
Snr. Officer

machinafatalis
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 08:24:37 am »

There are also a few other "steam-ish" places to check out in LA once you're of age. One is The Wellesbourne http://www.thewellesbourne.com/ and another is The Villains Tavern http://villainstavern.com/ . Both places, as well as The Edison have hosted a local steampunk meetup/drinkup group called The Longneck Libation and Confabulation Society, a group of local steampunks. I think your best bet is to be a part of The Manticore Society, LA's steampunk group http://www.facebook.com/groups/179121261222/?ap=1 . They have all kinds of events going on, including those that don't include drinking. Wink

Join us on SoCalSteam for steampunk events in Southern California www.socalsteam.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: