The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 27, 2020, 06:15:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: >The Smoking Room< The Second Storey  (Read 88654 times)
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #625 on: December 19, 2012, 07:46:55 am »

Now things are looking up! What can I get you two fine ladies? And let us let the gents fight over who is paying.
returns attention to globe. Interesting, one enters it and is in a different dimensional space to what we can actually see when peering inside from the outside. We have here a self contained universe, bigger on the inside, and able to focus on a point of desired attention.
*taps globe* Globe! can you show us the interior of the Smoking room, coordinates 354 5635.
*watches with interest as the globes snow whirls around, knocking over the little figure inside. Waits to see the image that will emerge.*
By the way, waving to get the attention of Skummins, do you know that dodo will look smashing with a leather aviators helmet and goggles.

Cheers!
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #626 on: December 20, 2012, 12:25:44 am »

And here I was thinking that the dodo would look absolutley smashing served with roast potatoes and peas, but each to their own....

*eyes are suddenly drawn to the globe.....*

What in the blazes?Huh?

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #627 on: December 21, 2012, 05:28:05 pm »

Wowzers, that's us here... and if you look closely there's the globe inside the globe.... and, if we could look deep enough, inside that will be another smaller globe... and...

*grabs hold of the nearest bottle of whiskey and his cane, bracing himself against the bar*

Hell, where before it was a two-legged time-trouser-thingey, now you've gone circled it back on itself and that's made it into a funnel that repeats in on itself...

*the globe begins to expand, now it's the size of a beach-ball, and its gravity seems to be increasing, drawing loose objects and furniture towards it in a circular motion*

Hold on!

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #628 on: December 22, 2012, 11:50:26 am »

Mum always warned me not to play with inter-dimensional space and time....should have listened. Look its glass, what say we just smash it?
*Hefts poker which he draws from....never mind.....*
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #629 on: December 22, 2012, 12:30:17 pm »

No, I say we all adjourn to the balcony, and see what happens.

*Meanders outside, lights pipe, swigs port, and leans back against railing looking into the room.*

This should be fun, oh and JR, wash the poker when you are done with it.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #630 on: December 23, 2012, 04:50:50 pm »

*peers at the newly enlarged crystal orb from behind the safety of the bar and double bottles of single malt*

Well, I don't know about interesting, but there is at least one other layer of Fairley B. Stranges in there trying to get out - and I'm pretty sure this layer of the multiverse is only big enough for one of us... and, now he's got hold of their universe's beaky-thing and is waving it at the edge of the globe... that the hell is that about?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #631 on: December 24, 2012, 12:53:29 am »

I have no idea what that's about, but it does raise the question of where OUR dodo has gone...

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact I found the dodo in another universe? Maybe the dodo has some effect on the globe, it might explain why it seemed to choose to try and hatch it. Maybe the little beaky twerp knows something we don't...

And as if matters didn't seem bad enough, I've just run out of cigars.

That globe is getting a bit big, isn't it?... and what's that creaking sound??

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #632 on: December 24, 2012, 01:50:34 am »

*notices cracks beginning to form in the floor of the Smoking Room, and that the smoke from his pipe is being drawn towards said crack. Pulls a stout bit of rope from his pocket and lashes himself to the balustrade of the balcony, as the wind begins to get stronger*

I say, this reminds me of my days on board the sloop Gethsemane, as we rounded the Cape of Good Hope. Wonderful journey that, hunting the elusive Prairie Jane, Swamp Muddy-Mucky, and the women, oh, the women.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #633 on: December 24, 2012, 04:29:48 am »

Talking of women, ours seem to have run off. Seems they may have been the smarter ones...

*reaches behind and feels around leather belt for the clip, pulls out a length of steel cable from utility belt, then loops around balustrade and back to clip*

I have a feeling this is going to get unpleasant...

I say, that chap in the globe is still waving the dodo around, I think he's trying to tell us something! Oh, hang-on, looks  like something else is happening... That other chap, the one who looks like me, he seems to be holding one of those Russian dolls with the little dolls nested inside. And now somebody at the back is waving the dodo nest around and pointing at it furiously.

*turns to face globe, then shrugs with a downturned bottom lip and shaking head slightly - the international signal for 'I don't understand what you are on about!'"*

I hope there is a point to all this! 
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #634 on: December 24, 2012, 04:39:29 am »

It concerns me that I have yet to appear in the globe. Maybe, the recent trip I made there has upset the space-time continuum somehow, and my doppelganger has vanished into the aether. Hmmm...

*notices the man with the dodo nest fling it furiously to the ground and begin to jump up and down on it.*

Perhaps they are trying to tell us that they are part of another universe, and that to free them we need to destroy the dodo nest on our side?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #635 on: December 24, 2012, 05:56:00 am »

I doubt it - the globe rolled over and crushed it about 5 minutes ago.

*observes the Siliconous doppelganger empty out the dolls, hold up the smallest one and then crush it under his boot*

Maybe we have to break something else...?

*gives international signal for "what?" again*

Maybe it's because the nest got smashed, that caused this to happen?....

*somebody in globe holds up large banner that reads " STOP INFINTITE GLOBES U IDIOT!" *

....Or not. Charming!  Why the hell didn't they just do that in the first place!
Well at least we know what they want now. The question is, what are we going to do about it?

As far as I understand the situation, they want us to destroy or stop the globes within each globe from connecting to themselves in an infinite loop. Oh..that must be why our globe is expanding - to accommodate the growing number of pocket universes held within.

OK, so we can't destroy our globe, because it's on the outside of the loop, and it would destroy our recursive universes. So we have to stop the one at the furthest point down in the loop from connecting to it's own location in the first place. And that was technically US in the first place...  Well, my temporal transport is a little flaky, but I can transport one person to our exact location at a point just before this happened. As you pointed out Octavius, you have not appeared in the globe, so I would assume we, well they tried to send you back too, but it would not work for them - we are the original universe, and as such are the only ones able to alter our past.

So Octavius, are you ready for a little trip?...
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #636 on: December 24, 2012, 06:50:45 am »

*Looks at the ever expanding globe, the widening cracks in the floor, and the supercilious smirk on the face of the dopple - dodo*

Lets go!!!!!!!!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #637 on: December 24, 2012, 04:13:53 pm »

*powers up the temporal perambulator, the air crackles with ionised gas and electrical discharges. The event horizon forms as a small point, quickly growing in size. The black depths of the now fully formed wormhole seem to flow and ebb like a malevolent black gas*

This is a one shot deal, and I can't be too sure about the accuracy of the transport, but it should be good enough to get the job done. Once you arrive, you have to prevent the globe from being connected in on it's self, but whatever you do, don't destroy the globe - it will cause the pocket universe to expand into our own, thereby destroying both in the process.

Right, just walk into the vortex and you will arrive back in the lounge sometime before the globe problem occurs.

Erm, you might feel a slight stinging sensation...  Good luck!
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #638 on: December 26, 2012, 03:48:04 am »

You go first.
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #639 on: December 29, 2012, 04:32:50 am »

No, please good sir, after you. You will go down in the historical tomes of Scientific Research, a hero in our time. Think of the prestige! *sidles a little closer to the B-space portal for a quick escape if necessary*
Tell you what, how about I find a worm door, place it on the other side of the B-space corridor, you nip back there, grab the globe as it appears, return here, toss it through this portal, across the corridor and out the other door, I'll shut and lock it, then we burn the door. We may not ever know where or when it ends up, but it should remove the problem from our bar at least.
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #640 on: December 30, 2012, 10:52:10 pm »

Look, that all sounds as if it would be an excellent plan and I for one heartily approve. However, due to my old war wound acting up, I regret that i will not be able to move fast enough to accomplish said mission.

JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #641 on: January 02, 2013, 10:35:03 am »

Well it can't be me, I need to set up the worm door, and find a good place to deposit said globe. I never liked the Artic, too bloody cold. How about we lob it at the North Pole?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #642 on: January 03, 2013, 02:12:55 am »

*sigh* Right, I'll deal with this...

LOOK - A ZEPPELIN ! *points*

*as Octavius von Gilgamesh turns to look, he is unceremoniously pushed through the vortex*

...And dealt with. Oops, almost forgot...

*scribbles note, : "Dear Octavius, thank you for your brave actions to save us. Fear not, you will be able to return - just press the red button on my temporal perambulator device. It can be found on the bar where I set it down while I moved the dodo nest. It is an emergency return, it will reopen the last nearest vortex. Regards, Siliconous".*

There we go, now to send it...  *crumples up into ball and throws into vortex* ...that should get his attention - everytime debris have followed me through the vortex, it has always hit me in the back of the head... or sometimes the crotch, but that's pretty unusual and not likely to happen....
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #643 on: January 05, 2013, 05:39:21 pm »

What the...?
*uncrumples a ball of paper that just hit him in the crotch, and reads 'Dear Octavius, thank you for your brave efforts...', stops and looks up*

It's a note, for you apparently, Octavius - now where the hell has he disappeared to?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #644 on: January 06, 2013, 07:22:51 pm »

*globe now uncomfortably close,getting bigger all the time*

*sigh* Looks like something is wrong... Octavius should have been back by now, and this reality should have bootstrapped.

Right, I'm going in!  *fires up the temporal perambulator, vortex appears looking suspiciously unstable*
This should be interesting...  *steps into vortex*

*appears at event horizon of vortex, approximately 10 minutes before globe becomes locked into reccursive loop. Vortex fluctuates and spits Siliconous out at high speed, clear across the bar and into the broom cupboard*

*groan...* 
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #645 on: January 06, 2013, 10:09:48 pm »

LOOK - A ZEPPELIN ! *points*

Ah, the old Lurk Gambit, haven't heard that since the 14-18 unpleasantness, right Up the Front...

Wink

Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #646 on: January 06, 2013, 11:18:09 pm »

*slowly opens his eyes, and finds that he is lying in total darkness, upon what appears to be a wooden floor. He gets to his feet, a massive headache pounding at his skull, the usual result of an incomplete trip through an unstable vortex.

He tries to see where he has ended up, but the darkness is total. Sighing resignedly, he pulls out his Zippo and lights his pipe, looking around with intreset at his surroundings as illuminated by the light.

The wooden floor was flanked by four stone walls, and a set of steps led upwards towards the unknown*

Skumins, if I ever find you, a note to the groin will be the least of your troubles.*

*trudges up the stairs, and pushes open the door at the top*

.....What in blue blazes......
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #647 on: January 08, 2013, 09:26:39 am »

*wakes up inside cupboad in pile of broken brooms and mops, one foot stuck in a bucket*

*cough*...owwwch!... *removes broomhandle end from fundement*

Oh my head!  *looks at watch*  Crap! Need to get out of here, not long before the globe incident is set in motion!

*gets up, tries to open door...locked* Bugger! *searches for another way out, notices another door behind him opening slowly - turns around*

What the fff......
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #648 on: January 09, 2013, 03:59:09 am »

*stands aghast to see Skumins standing in the middle of the cupboard to which the door had opened into. His eyes take in the broomhandle held in one hand, and the bare foot, encased in a bucket.

A sudden noise form the corner of the cupboard draws his attention, and he watches, horrified as a small dodo creeps out of the corner, a bemused expression on it's beak*

"SS what in the name of all that is dark and unholy have you been getting up to in he........"

*His voice trails off as he notices a bright light forming behind the figure before him. A moment later a huge hole has been ripped in the wall, and he stands looking out onto a plain in another dimesion. It is a green and pleasant looking land, huge trees stretch off into the distance, while situated at the bottom of a valley, a huge pyramid, reminiscent of the Mayans stands before the pass.*

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #649 on: March 04, 2013, 11:12:43 pm »

*The blackness of the empty void seemed to last an eternity, and yet no time at all. For this was result of the universe being destroyed by the pocket universe that had grown within. Thusly time its self was destroyed, at least in this existence. No time, no space, no mater, no....nothing. An infinity of nothing.*

*As the endless eons went by, or "a blink of an eye" depending on your reference frame of time, nothing changed - there was nothing TO change. Eventually something happened, nobody knows what exactly, there was nobody to see it. This singular event was catastrophic in it's reaches, the endless nothing suddenly became an endless something Time began in an instant, the universe was created and the resulting release of unimaginable energy, rapidly expanded to fill the void. A hot dense mass pervasive throughout the entirety of space and time began to cool and clump together. Simple things at first, the newly created subatomic particles began to form simple atomic structures, and the resulting gravitational fields began to clump these simple atoms together, denser and denser...*

*Many tens of millions of years pass and something new begins to emerge, a large singular mass quickly grows as it gains the mass of falling matter attracted to it's strong gravity. After millions of years later this large spherical mass begins to generate an internal heat, the growing pressure of the core crushing the matter into new forms. Much time later this new body begins a new process when the mass and pressure reach a critical level. Nuclear fusion begins as a single "spark" of neutrons cascades outwards, the pressure and temperature soaring as it does so. This hot dense body becomes something new. The first star is born, formed in a dense cloud of dark matter and gas... The shockwave from the birth cry of this new star ripples out across the dense gaseous matter, causing small ripples and swirling eddies that would eventually lead to yet more stars being born.

That primordial star was a massive blazing behemoth that burned brighter and faster than any star around today. It had a mass of about 100 times that of Earth's Sun and it spewed out vast amounts of energetic radiation, especially in the ultraviolet range. Had human eyes been around to see it, it would have appeared blue-violet in color. A single point of light in the entire universe.

Several Gigatons of matter were converted every second, into pure energy, for millions of years. This massive star would only have a short but spectacular life, but it's death would be the most spectacular event this new universe had seen. In it's death throws and allready the brightest thing in the universe, it quickly became hundreds of times brighter - a light that even today would have outshone even the brightest of the known galaxies containing billions of stars. It's fuel spent, the first star exploded in a titanic stellar cataclysm called a supernova, flinging heavy elements forged during the star's lifetime into space, setting the stage for the next generation of stars.

The second generation stars formed about a million years after the first. Within five million years, there were about 100 stars; within ten million years, 10,000 celestial orbs of fire were lighting up the heavens.*

*New clusters of stars formed, and died, seeding the universe with heavy matter such as Carbon, Iron, Oxygen and so on. These star clusters became larger as the number of stars increased, and as the clusters merged under gravity. It took about another 370 million years for the first galaxy as massive as our own Milky Way to form. And so the universe continued for the next 9  billion years or so. Around this time a new  main-sequence  star formed in a stellar nursery in a spiral arm of the Milky Way. Eventually this star is expelled from the nursery, residing about 26,000 light years from the galactic centre. During this time, planets have formed in orbit around the star.*

*On the third rocky planet surround this star - a world 2/3rds covered in water and sporting an abundance of life forms - a solitary person walks into a bar, lights the gas lamp and takes a seat at the bar. He produces a young Dodo from his coat pocket and places it into his hat, resting it on the bar counter. He leans forward and stretches behind the bar, feeling for a bottle, and finding his target, pulls it out and sits back down. The bottle is a fine Cognac. Reaching into his pocket he pulls out a several shot glasses*

So - Anyone fancy a drink then?...  *grins subtly to himself*
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: