The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 12, 2020, 09:28:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: >The Smoking Room< The Second Storey  (Read 99276 times)
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #575 on: November 11, 2012, 01:52:27 pm »

Help yourself, my good chappie. 'Ware the green fairies. Sugarcube and water?

Cheers!
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #576 on: November 11, 2012, 03:35:06 pm »

*smacks the Hairy-harris across the snout with the toasting-fork*

Oi! Get this thing away from the sugar-cubes... its ugly enough now, who knows what it will look like if it hits the...

*hits it again to keep it from the absinthe fountain*

Does anybody own this thing?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #577 on: November 12, 2012, 03:30:16 am »

It..*hic*...just wandered..*hic*..in here..*hic*..one day.

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #578 on: November 18, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »

*makes the last defensive swipe to protect the green-fey dispenser from the incessant encroaches of the snuffling Harris-creature*

Well, he's finally learned his lesson - just in time too, this fork is looking ready to snap after all this extra work.

I don't suppose it matters that he's followed that length of string down the corridor, does it? As long as he's gone...
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #579 on: November 19, 2012, 12:59:33 pm »

Oh shi... my string! DON'T BREAK THAT STRING YOU FILTHY CREATURE! Gods, I will never get back. Excuse me, help yourself gents. *Grabs poker and runs through the portal. String still attached to the door frame suddenly goes slack. The faint echo of "oh crap" can be heard as the portal closes*
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #580 on: November 19, 2012, 04:10:04 pm »

Well, you know what this means... that was our last poker for the fire, so no more toasties.

Is there anything else to eat behind the bar or do we eat raw dodo sashimi-style?
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #581 on: November 21, 2012, 05:06:39 pm »

*begins eyeing-off the ungainly beaked-scrotum-bird while trying to picture it as thin strips skewered on those neat little wooden toothpicks from behind the bar*

Hmmm, it's probably not very palatable, but probably safer than an untoasted stale Bar cheese sandwich.

*continues rummaging behind the bar to find..*

Blimey..!

DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #582 on: November 21, 2012, 05:17:29 pm »

beaked-scrotum-bird? They taste like dry-roasted peanuts, only less peanutty and more dry-roastedy.

Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #583 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:26 am »

Mmmmmm. dry roastedly......

*notices from the corner of his eye the one of the bookshelves has come away from the wall, and is emitting a sound reminiscent of a herd of pigs being tortured in an iron works*

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #584 on: November 22, 2012, 04:50:01 am »

*hits the moment of clarity, events of the last 10 minutes begin to filter through brain and make sense*

Right! IM BACK!!  *jumps to feet in one movement*  Firstly, hands off the Dodo - I have a feeling we might need it for something!

*picks up the Dodo and drops it back in nest* Right, YOU stay! STAAAAY!  Good Dodo!  God you're weird looking!...

It seems we now have the issue of a lost bar tender - A pity, he was rather good at his job. I feel we need a plan of action to save him. And could somebody please stop torturing pigs in the Iron works - it's really distracting!!

*eyes the chronoperambulator with suspicion* Hmmm, this thing is the only way to save our bar tender, but it's risky. I nearly didn't make it back last time! I need to make some repairs...

*begins to adjust the crystal matrix, pauses and looks around*

I say chaps, would any of you happen to have a large diamond, roughly about 2 carat ?...   You will get it back, although it may be a little bigger afterwards...

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #585 on: November 22, 2012, 04:54:58 am »

*unscrews cane top and hands it over* You can have one of these, but take it from the lower half so it's not so easy to notice
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #586 on: November 23, 2012, 02:10:57 pm »

Hello? Hellooooo? I picked a door, but the ensuring brawl caused the bar to burn down. I can't find anywhere else with alcohol nearby to create another B-space portal. This is sad, but the fact there is no alcohol nearby is sadder. Hello? Crap. *sits back down in the sand, trickling it between his fingers.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #587 on: November 23, 2012, 03:12:02 pm »

As I said earlier, chaps - Blimey...

*gingerly lifts a grapefruit-sized crystal sphere out from under the bar*

It's like one of those novelty snow-domes except instead of some kitsch tourist landmark, there's a diorama of a burnt-down bar and a little doll that looks like Whatsisname, the missing bartender.

Hey, I wonder what happens if we shake up the sand..?
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #588 on: November 24, 2012, 12:26:43 am »

*Tears a strip off his apron to tie around his face, and places goggles (course I had a pair on me!) more firmly over his eyes.* Where in damnation did this storm spring from? who knew tiny sand crystals could sting so much! And *shifts uncomfortably around in pants* get absolutely everywhere!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #589 on: November 24, 2012, 05:36:18 am »

*finally manages to pry out a suitable jewel*

Got it!!  Right - this is the tricky part, I need to get this right or we are all going to horribly......*notices concerned looks*...erm be absolutely fine...yeah.  *moves to slightly safer distance from others*

So, moving swiftly on.... This Diamond should be good enough to refocus the photonic beam splitter into the photonic crystal amplifier matrix. The beam of light from the miniature Helium and Neon gas mixture filled Geissler tube is internally amplified by the use of two mirrors, one of which is only partially silvered, allowing light to escape. The resulting beam is of unique property, unlike that of normal light, and is strongly focused. Once fed into the splitter the resulting multiple beams recombine into a single self amplifying coherent beam inside the photonic crystals, where they are internally reflected resulting in an annular confinement "trap". The single beam now results in the formation of a confined cylinder of light, which is constantly increasing in power and density, producing a gravitational field of rapidly increasing strength. As the gravity field increases, and the resulting axial spin of the photonic beam, a degree of influence can be observed in space and time - which can be viewed as a single entity of "time-space" - and this imparts a degree of change in the orientation of the rotational axis of a rotating body within the field. The frame of reference in which a clock ticks the fastest is one which is revolving around the object as viewed by a distant observer. This also means that light traveling in the direction of rotation of the object will move past the massive object faster than light moving against the rotation, as seen by a distant observer. This dragging of the reference frame, or "frame dragging" if you will, results in a physical manipulation of the time-space which surrounds us, and as the energy of the circulating photonic beam increases not just frame-dragging occurs, but also closed timelike curves begin to form. This allows traversal of the time-space in a reversal of the normal flow!!

*inhales deeply after running out of breath*

To create the time-space traversal event horizon, a singular point of infinite density and mass is formed within the field by the injection of an inert....

*notices the blank expressions, some drooling and glazed over eyes*

Uhm....*sigh*... The shiny makes the big wibbly timey-spacey thingy appear!!...   Cretins!

Anyway, I've finished it.  OK, need to power up the photonic... *sigh* I need to switch it on.

*a small orange-red glow is seen within the device, slowly increasing in brightness but allready painfull to look at - snaps the cover shut to protect eyes*

OK, this will take several minutes to warm up - time for a quick drink!  I just hope it's not my last one!...

Somebody pass me the brandy!   

*idly picks up the dome with the sandy scene inside, swirls it around producing a spinning vortex within while waiting for drink*
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #590 on: November 24, 2012, 06:51:01 am »

* the winds around him increase in speed, and begin to swirl. He finds himself in the middle of a hurricane,  is lifted bodily from the ground and is thrown in a circle, over and over again. Begins to flap his arms wildly, moving against the current, sand clogging his pores. Finally he reaches the 'eye' and slides down an almost solid wall of sand to the ground again. Of course, by now the hurricane is belting across the landscape, and he has to sprint to keep himself in the center of the storm. Not quite sure how long he can keep this up.*
Demetrius Rust
« Reply #591 on: November 25, 2012, 03:28:26 pm »

*cautiously pokes head thru b-portal and looks around* "Oops, wrong bar!" *ducks back into portal and disappears*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:05:48 am by Demetrius Rust » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #592 on: November 25, 2012, 04:35:08 pm »

*loud "ding" bell sound as device reaches full power*

Ahh, right here goes....  *presses coordinates into keypad, activates the portal*

Wish me luck - I'll NEED it!!...

*Small blue dot forms in mid-air, slowly growing larger and darker. Wind starts to blow strongly around room, papers being sucked into the vortex. The room is filled with a roaring sound like a waterfall heard through a long length of drain pipe*

*Portal now at full size, steps forwards and disappears into the rift*

*arrives 20 minutes earlier in same room, appears in small broom cupboard, cracks door open to check coast is clear and sneaks out.  Sneaks over to string on door frame, opens door and hides in B space*

*10 minutes later bar tender rushes past in pursuit of the badger, so silently follows him while leaving a trail to follow through B space, until reaching a door and slipping through a few minutes later after finding the break in the string and tied the two ends together*

*Enters door and appears in burnt down ruin of bar, sand covering everything*

Ahh, evening chaps - I see you have the drinkies sorted!   I'll have a Gin and Tonic ta!

Oh, by the by, I've fixed your little String theory problem.... You should be able to find your way back now.
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #593 on: November 26, 2012, 12:11:39 pm »

Ahh Mr Skumins. So glad you could make it. Yes String Theory can be quite tricky if it unravels mid theorem. Shall we get back to the bar? This place sucks eggs.
*As they depart, James feels an unusual wrenching of his soul. Here, as in many time travel paraboxes, a second stream of time begins, and James gets to travel down both. One returns to the bar with Mr Skumins, making polite conversation, and sharing the remains of the last bottle of brandy from a soot blackened bottle, all that held the portal open. The second travels along the other leg, that leads to sand storms and endless running. Glad I am on this one!*
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #594 on: November 26, 2012, 02:28:05 pm »

Oh, great, you're back... Hey, Bartender, look at what we found - its like a snow-dome but full of sand, and if you twirl it like this...

*with a flick of the wrist he sets the sand-filled orb spinning on the bar-top again*

... this tiny little figure in it goes swirling around in the miniature sandstorm. It must be a very cleverly built doll because youd almost swear it moved like a real man. Here, have a go, its really quite amusing to watch...
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #595 on: November 26, 2012, 04:50:39 pm »

Hey Siliconous, old chum, Where's my diamond? You promised payment with interest!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:52:18 pm by DreamHazard » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #596 on: November 26, 2012, 06:44:29 pm »

OOPS!  Yes indeed, I owe you one diamond!  Two ticks...

*flips open device, removes a small red glowing lump with a pair of tweezers* Ah here we go, now then, I need to make a small change to the structure...

*places super heated red lump on bar counter, steps back and adjusts controls on temporal device*

EVERYONE SHIELD YOUR EYES!!

*Activates the device. a small dark spot envelops the glowing lump, with a final adjustment of the controls, the small spot suddensly increases in size and turns brighter than the sun. The bright object is now about 6 foot across and rapidly becomes unstable, suddenly evaporating with a bright flare and massive release of heat and energy*

Uhm, that was a bit more energetic than I was execting - I think my internal organs now have a suntan!

*the bar is partially vaporized and carbonised black, but in the middle is a large clear perfect diamond about 2 feet in diameter*

Er... there go, one diamond. As I said it may be a little larger once I finished with it....  A side effect of the intense gravity well and increased mass due to traveling faster than the speed of light, don't you know...

I'm not entirely sure where the knob has gone, I thought I left it on the bar. Oh well the diamond looks big enough to replace it anyway. Hope that's not a problem...?
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

« Reply #597 on: November 26, 2012, 10:26:45 pm »

*opens his eyes after a number of days in a coma, spent mainly exploring D - space. Looks around, notices that half the bar is missing, the Hairy-Harris has run off, and a large lump of glittering carbon sits where the bar used to be.

A loud crash causes him to turn towards the balcony, whee he sees a large brass knob sitting on the ground. As he watches another one hurtles out of the sky, followed by another and then another. Soon the entire byilding is being deluged by brass knobs*

Right, who has been messing with time, the universe and everything?
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #598 on: November 27, 2012, 12:07:10 am »

hmm... Yes, that'll do nicely, Mr S.

*pulls out a glowing dremel and cuts a thread into the base of the gem then mounts it atop cane*

That'll do nicely indeed.
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #599 on: November 27, 2012, 10:05:40 am »

Oh dear, it seems the trousers of time split that occurred when Mr skumins picked me up seems to have taken us into a dimension where it is possibly to rain brass knobs. This is theoretically possible of course, but about as likely as a universe filled end to end with Persian patterned mattresses, all singing "Five little speckled Frogs" in harmony. *he shrugs at the quizzical looks* Anything is possible in an infinite number of Universes right?
Hmmmm, maybe the little figure in that globe holds the answer. A possible universe contained in a snowglobe? Interesting....
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: