The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 25, 2014, 04:02:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking steampunk?  (Read 5585 times)
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: July 02, 2011, 05:17:27 am »

The theme for the 2012 Nova Albion Steampunk Exhibition is "Vikings,  Villains &  Celts! (Oh, my!)".

I'm the proprietor of the Aetheric Message Machine Company, and we've had a sizable printing telegraph office with equipment and messengers at the last two Nova Albion events. We have a rather Victorian setup, and I have no idea how to do Viking steampunk.

Now what?

pakled
Zeppelin Admiral

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 05:58:59 am »

There was another thread on this, sometime in the last year or so...I think in this very forum...
Mahogany
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:29:07 am »

My first suggestion would be to research the Vikings.  I know that steampunk is not historical reinactment of any era, but knowing more about your subject will give you a better grasp on matter.

I know that Vikings were worries and sailors - pirates, of a sort - and they were really into rading and pillaging.  Well, that's the Hollywood version.  I haven't done a lot of actual research into them, so I'm not sure how true that is.  Then again, you may want to go with the media version, because it's all for fun and everyone knows that version, right?

Some off the top of my head ideas for the steampunk aspect: Viking robots, airship Vikings (instead of boats), a bit of Hiccup's tech from How To Train Your Dragon . . . yeah, that's all I've got for now.   I'm not sure where you want to go with this, so I hope this helps.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 04:25:39 pm »

You could search the forum for the phrase Vikingpunk, I started that thread.  Cheesy

I guess the first thing would be to change the writing of your message machine to be runes. Ravens were meant to be the messengers of Odin, perhaps you could incorporate them somehow. Or something to do with the wisdom of Mimer, the bodyless head.

In space, no one can hear you steam.
andrew craven
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:29:44 pm »

The word "Vik" in viking is Old Norse for a bay (sea-side or river-side sort of bay). Viking simply meant "Bay-Dweller". This harks back to the Norse peoples use of the Long Boat and how they used it to trade in places where there were no harbours or docks. Their name is central to trade and comes up in many place names in the UK such as Smethwick and Greenwich....Wick and Wich was originally pronounced in a Germanic tone..hence "Vik"....such places is where they used to trade regularly.
 It is supposed to be the later Christian missionaries who clashed with them in some areas and were entered into history books by such Christian scholars as murauding brigands. Hence the reason that the meaning of the word viking became synonimous for piracy in the dark ages.

One thing about the Vikings is that they were hardy men and women who wouldnt take any shit and braved the seas in their open long boats...they went as far as Asia and Newfoundland in North America. They had extraordinary ship building skills and sword making to bow making skills, armour, utensils, housing....it is said they had some skill in medicine as well but that is not absolute as history is hazy and you have two sides of opinion from an historical point of view. Plus you have their old religion that did not require worship and of course Shamanism as the Allfather, Odin, the highest of the norse gods was mostly seen as a god of wisdom, knowledge and shamanism.
 I guess combining their exploration skills and craftsmanship with science fiction may have some point of inspiration for a steampunk viking. Perhaps a Longboat-airship to fly to Asgard to meet the gods, or some sort of clockwork armour to fight the frost giants or the arseholes from over the next fjord who are wanting to marry your wife? World of Warcraft Caper here methinks!?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:55:47 pm by andrew craven » Logged
Capt. Dirigible
Time Traveler

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:33:48 pm »

I know that Vikings were worries ..

Will their be enough room in the long ship?...what if there's nothing to plunder?...what if there's not enough women to rape?..supposing we anger the Gods? ...did I remember to put the fire out in the hut and bolt the door before we left???
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:36:02 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Mahogany
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 08:41:34 pm »

I know that Vikings were worries ..

Will their be enough room in the long ship?...what if there's nothing to plunder?...what if there's not enough women to rape?..supposing we anger the Gods? ...did I remember to put the fire out in the hut and bolt the door before we left???
SHUSH!  It was late!  I was tired!  XD  Well played, Sir.
Jonny B. Goode
Zeppelin Captain

The Gentleman Soldier

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 06:50:43 am »

It's cliche, but helmets with horns. And braids, both the men and women could wear braids. If you're doing illustrations and such, perhaps a steam-powered viking longboat, or a cross between a longboat and a dirigible. Or give Thor some sort of Tesla-esque lightning generator, maybe a hand-held Tesla coil instead of a hammer.

Sky Marshal Jonathan Baines "Jonny B." Goode, F.O.S.S.L.
"The Gentleman Soldier"™
Commander, Air Corps Elite for Steel (A.C.E.S.)
Flagship: Hyperion Class I.S.S. Runcible
Amalia_Lila
Deck Hand

Punkish_Nerd
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 07:04:36 am »

I know of an renactment site that would be most helpful to you. Its called http://sca.org
I was a part of the group for a long time. Their sources can be very helpful and should give you ideas.

We all carry our prisons with us.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 05:06:45 pm »

It's cliche, but helmets with horns. And braids, both the men and women could wear braids.

The aesthetic is so far from Victorian that it doesn't fit well with steampunk.

Combining the Industrial Revolution with the Viking aesthetic seems to yield a post-apocalypse world, a  combination of Road Warror, Mordor, and the London Docklands circa 1980.

I find this profoundly depressing. The steampunk era was one of hope and progress. This isn't. 
Rockula
Immortal

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 05:20:41 pm »

The Viking 'Lost World'.

An island settled in ancient times by 'off course' Vikings that has had it's population continuously added to over the centuries by an influx of other lost mariners including Victorians.

And Top Hats with horns. Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
NicholasTheRed
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 05:48:31 pm »

Since the theme is Vikings, Villains, and Celts, another option that might be a better choice for you is to go the villains route instead of vikings.  You could be shady information brokers, acquiring your facts through dubious means.  Making a healthy profit being the middle men through which crime is organized.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 05:57:16 pm »

Since the theme is Vikings, Villains, and Celts, another option that might be a better choice for you is to go the villains route instead of vikings.  You could be shady information brokers, acquiring your facts through dubious means.  Making a healthy profit being the middle men through which crime is organized.

Thanks. That's an option worth considering.
polyphemus
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 07:42:32 pm »

Replace the eyepiece with goggles.

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Mr. Boltneck
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 08:40:36 pm »

I have to say that if I make it to next year's Nova Albion, I'm more likely to go with "Villains" myself.
That being said, 19th Century Romanticism and National Romanticism produced the images that most people still have of the Viking era, and the Celtic Revival that began in the previous century did much the same for the "Celts," including the notion that one could use reasonably this term in a sweeping fashion to refer to a series of European cultures spanning the time from the Bronze Age to the MIddle Ages. And let's not even get started on the whole "Ossian" business.
Most of these ideas about history are, of course, nonsense by the standards of modern scholarship. The images and words that we get from Scott, Morris, and Wagner just to name a few, gave to the Victorian era were about as historically accurate as Hollywood movies. Horned helmets are entirely a romantic invention of painters and costume designers, for example. The germ of the notion is said by some to have come from a still-extant Bronze Age ritual helmet that was dug up just in time to inspire some silly headgear at Bayreuth.
So if you like to pin your steampunk to the Victorian age, I suppose that you could base a design not on the actual Vikings, but on the Victorian interpretation of Vikings.
Capt. Dirigible
Time Traveler

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 09:23:33 pm »

An island settled in ancient times by 'off course' Vikings that has had it's population continuously added to over the centuries by an influx of other lost mariners including Victorians.

COUGH~ISLANDATTHETOPOFTHEWORLD~COUGH Wink
Maets
Immortal

Rocket Man

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 09:37:14 pm »

Think - Steam saunas.  Vikings harness steam earlier then the rest of Europe due to the use of steam in saunas.  They use that steam to propel boats, war machines, etc. Grin 

Steampunk Vikings.  Guys in towels, with horns on their heads, in a sauna. Grin 

Maets
Immortal

Rocket Man

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 10:18:17 pm »

Just remembered an old Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas Viking movie. Not remembering the name.  Tony gets his arm cut off and has a prosthetic are for most of the movie.  Great thing to steam up.
polyphemus
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 11:39:06 pm »

It was 'The Vikings'
Lady Ashgrove
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 12:47:38 am »

I think going for the laugh might be a good way to go

I love the top hat with horns idea - add the braids to the hat too (make them out of yarn)

and put a "messager tag" of some sort on the hat

myself I think that would be all that I would do different than my reg setup

after all this will most likely be a "one shot" deal - right?
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 12:49:46 am »

"Ragnar you old fool. Its Pillage the houses and R**e the wimmen!!"

Sorry could not resist it!!

Hansome cab plz!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Argus Fairbrass
Immortal
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 01:10:08 am »

And lets not forget 'The Long Ships'...

The Long Ships - Golden BellDQ

and of course "Cough Sneeze Whoosh", ISLAND AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD....again! lol

The Island at the Top of the World (trailer)DQ
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:19:06 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 06:38:14 am »

I think going for the laugh might be a good way to go

It's an option. I'm having a hard time taking Viking steampunk at all seriously.

A Viking theme doesn't inspire me to put months of work into doing something authentic and functional.
Chestnut
Gunner

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 07:33:23 am »

I remember back in high school a teacher of mine was raving about how technologically/mechanically advanced vikings were, he brought in some artifacts he collected that i would have to say were actually pretty advanced for the time they came from such as a an early paddle lock, some cranks and pulleys, gear assemblies from who knows what ( some of the gears were made from wood and obviously very rotted) and other such stuff. I would think that would be some stuff to look into and build upon, they could very well have advanced into a steam powered industrial society given they right circumstances.
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 08:05:21 am »

I remember back in high school a teacher of mine was raving about how technologically/mechanically advanced vikings were, he brought in some artifacts he collected that i would have to say were actually pretty advanced for the time they came from such as a an early paddle lock, some cranks and pulleys, gear assemblies from who knows what ( some of the gears were made from wood and obviously very rotted) and other such stuff. I would think that would be some stuff to look into and build upon, they could very well have advanced into a steam powered industrial society given they right circumstances.
The same could be said for any culture. The Vikings were advanced enough to copy and possibly improve on those items, but they didn't invent them. In fact, padlocks date back to Rome, and possibly earlier, and gears and pulleys date back to ancient Greece. Both of these cultures were far more advanced than the Norse.

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: