The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 26, 2019, 02:19:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: essex steam train  (Read 725 times)
the gofer
Officer
United States United States

where ever you are at ...THERE you are!

« on: June 30, 2011, 06:49:19 pm »

let's add the Essex Steam Train in essex ct...www.essexsteamtrain.com/steam.html. great train ride and ride on a river boat. don't miss this one if your in the new england area.
TheMrsFitzDarcy
Deck Hand
United States United States

Princess of Pemberley

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 03:53:09 am »

I am new here. I am originally from the Lower Connecticut River Valley having lived in Essex, East Haddam, and Old Lyme. It's a great area with all sorts of period houses, boats (wooden sailboats, the steamboat), unspoiled woods, river, coves, beaches. I have been on the steam train a million times but not in awhile. Oh yes, if you go there you should go across the river to Hadlyme and go to Gillette's Castle.  It was built by William Gillette who played Sherlock Holmes on stage. It is built with local stones and is sort of Gothic with lots of crenellations. Apparently it has all sorts of tricks built into the castle. Like mirrors by which you can spy on other rooms. He also had a mini steam train. All the track is not there but they did get the engine back. I'm not sure if it's still steam powered though.

http://www.ctrivervalley.com/4-Connecticut-CT-in-of/Major-attractions-in-CT/gillette_castle_state_park/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: