The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 04, 2020, 12:21:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Kraken Theory  (Read 2424 times)
Maurautius
Officer
United States United States

Ingenieur der musikalischen Traummaschinen

« on: August 14, 2007, 04:53:46 am »

I was putzing around the æthernet and stumbled upon this bit at Wikipedia under the "Flying and Gliding Animals" article:

"Flying squid (gliding). Several oceanic squids, such as the Pacific flying squid, will leap out of the water to escape predators, an adaptation similar to that of flying fish. Smaller squids will fly in shoals, and have been observed to cover distances as long as 50 meters. Small fins towards the back of the mantle do not produce much lift, but do help stabilize the motion of flight. They exit the water by expelling water out of their funnel, indeed some squid have been observed to continue jetting water while airborne possibly providing thrust even after leaving the water. This may make flying squid the only animals with, at a push, jet-propelled aerial locomotion."

A subsequent, though merely cursory search yeilded little more than standard squid pics. I'd love to see one in "flight." Nonetheless, it got me thinking...are these perhaps the marine-bound cousins of our favorite beast of the upper atmosphere. Did evolution pluck some of these out of the sea and, over the aeons, send them higher and higher until they made their home in the clouds? Obviously, they don't use water as the primary means of propulsion anymore, although after having adapted to life in the atmosphere I wonder what kind of jet-like organs (and terrifying speed) a large air kraken would have developed. Interesting (crypto-)zoology, don't you think?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."<br />
~Oscar Wilde
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:14:07 am »

very cool and a good theore at that too
vae_editor
Gunner
Antarctica Antarctica

Editor: Victorian Adventure Enthusiast.com

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 02:40:31 pm »

Perhaps the aqua-kraken is just the seabound cousin to the original air kraken?

BTW: Have you read A. Conan Doyle's "The Horror of the Heights"?

http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/ff3/heights.htm
Maurautius
Officer

Ingenieur der musikalischen Traummaschinen

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:27:19 pm »

Perhaps the aqua-kraken is just the seabound cousin to the original air kraken?

Ahhh...so the Air Kraken came first and then a small offshoot went into the sea. I like that evolutionary idea as well.

That got me thinking though on another model: might that perhaps answer the question as to why no Air Kraken bodies have ever been found on terra firma? Perhaps, at a certain point in their life cycle they go into the sea. From terrorizing airships to sinking pirate ships. COOL!

BTW: Have you read A. Conan Doyle's "The Horror of the Heights"?

Oh yeah! I loved it. I remember in high school drawing big floating jellyfish for a few days after I read that. Heck, I still do that from time to time....
vae_editor
Gunner
Antarctica Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 04:15:11 pm »

So the aqua-kraken is part of the late life cycle of the air-kraken?

Interesting...

Yet we get very few giant quids washing up on beaches, probably because they live and die in great depths or far out at sea.

Perhaps the air-kraken is like the salmon: it spawns over the farthest parts of the ocean and then dies there... it's body landing where now ships generally travel or they sink to the depths well before the could wash up anywhere.
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 06:03:10 pm »

something like this
vae_editor
Gunner
Antarctica Antarctica

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 02:50:35 pm »

Yes... I'm more and more intrigued by this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: