The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 07:44:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So you have an altoids tin... As a steampunker, what would be inside it?  (Read 12009 times)
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 07:15:09 pm »

Cigarettes. An Altoid tin will hold 19 of the 20 cigarettes that come in a pack. Good way to keep your cigarettes from getting crushed in your pockets.

"Tie two birds together,
and although they have four wings,
they cannot fly."
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 02:50:18 am »

At one time von Zarkov had a Sucrets tin (similar to the Altoids) in which he kept a dessicated frog, a skorpion, and a chicken's claw: a miniature Kabinette of Wunder.

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 06:29:52 am »

I wish mine were full of cinnamon gum but alas, it has been taken off the market. Now all I have is an empty tin and inferior Big Red

What gum are you speaking of?  I used to chew a clove flavourd, I cannot for the life of me remember the name...  Bloody hell, it was amazing!

Cigarettes. An Altoid tin will hold 19 of the 20 cigarettes that come in a pack. Good way to keep your cigarettes from getting crushed in your pockets.

I had never thought of that before...  My ex (bless her for a Saint) stole my cigarette case (a gift from another ex-engraved to boot!) as an attempt to get me to quit...  Instead I just started rolling my own.

Then I found the joy that is Hookah!

--------

These days I'm using an old "Napoleons" tin as a medication carrycase to work...  Does that count?  Come on, it says NAPOLEON ON IT!!! Cheesy

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 10:48:32 am »

My "new" sparkly handle tiny folding knife, a compass, a tape-measure, 1$, a St.Jude icon(I'm SO lost...), any penny I find on the way, 2 "red" gums, a mini magnifying glass, 3 ginger altoids, as of right now(I have 4 tins left), 2 aspirin, a nail file, a mini screw-driver set and super glue, a sewing set and a farm worth of fluffy dust-bunnies Grin

"...it was here just a minute ago!"  Motto of the lovely Lady Guinevere Meander
Rose Streiffe
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »

I would expose myself as a dirty hippie if I told you what I kept in there. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 11:38:12 pm »

Now I don't have an altoids tin; but I do have a nice parquet art deco-ish box. 

Which contains:

-A St Christopher pendant
-A pair of vintage cufflinks
-Two boxes of 0.5mm technical pencil leads
-Some nuts, bolts and washers
-A pencil sharpener 
-A jacket button
-Some bubblewrap
-A square of tissue paper. 

Quite what half of that list is doing in there I have no idea...

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 12:22:15 am »

Now I don't have an altoids tin; but I do have a nice parquet art deco-ish box. 

Which contains:

-A St Christopher pendant
-A pair of vintage cufflinks
-Two boxes of 0.5mm technical pencil leads
-Some nuts, bolts and washers
-A pencil sharpener 
-A jacket button
-Some bubblewrap
-A square of tissue paper. 

Quite what half of that list is doing in there I have no idea...

You could tell people that this is the only remaining evidence of your successful endeavor to teach jackdaws to sketch:
"Ran them past the M.O.D. as scouts. And they called me mad! Ahahahah!!!"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 09:26:56 am »

I now manufacture a pair of tiny, clothespin dueling pistols for mine.

What do we want? Decapitations!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 05:20:56 am »

As a child I used to carry coins in a Prince Albert tobacco tin, but I stopped because the coins made too much noise when I ran.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 09:02:30 am »

These days I'm using an old "Napoleons" tin as a medication carrycase to work...  Does that count?  Come on, it says NAPOLEON ON IT!!! Cheesy

A likely story. I recommend you get a small butterfly net and tiny straitjacket, and...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 03:10:04 am »

Tiny scarlet, turquoise and emerald parrot feathers.  Small Swiss Army knife with scissors, blade, file, screwdriver and toothpick (useful for many things, never picking teeth), handkerchief, nut for air valve on tyre, single earring, mystery key, Xanax in case of crisis, fluff.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2013, 02:20:41 am »

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
My tin is empty, except for two black elastic garters.
Why, do you perhaps ask?
Because, like Miss Climpson in 'Strong Poison', and Verity in 'To Say Nothing of the Dog' (the latter using a sugared violets tin, which is ideal, as you must empty it first by eating them).
Where was I?
Ah, yes.
One attaches half of the tin to each upper limb with the garter.
Why, you ask again?
So as to make a popping sound when the two halves are brought together to mean Yes (Once) or No (Twice).
Why, you say, perhaps tetchily?
Because you are at a seance at which it is vital that you extract information from your fatuous companions.
Not to say by any means that I would dream of doing such a dishonest thing.
Simply that one wishes to be prepared.
Camellia

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 04:30:28 am »

I would expose myself as a dirty hippie if I told you what I kept in there. 

Then add a sliver of soap and a piece of washrag!
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 11:57:07 pm »

My Dears,
Do look at the web page of this feverish but fertile inventor. Not quite Steampunk, but he has indeed given thought to the contents of his tin, a micro survival kit.
C.W.
P.S.
I did not read about it, as it is more enjoyable to speculate: Is that an eyeball? And a razor blade. I hope there is no connection.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2013, 05:41:26 am »

My Good Netizens -
whilst I too have emulated the efforts of the prior posters, I offer this use of the Altoids tin:
securing the paper cartridges for my Colt 1860 revolver and Sharps 1863 Business Rifle:

( fyi, images are not mine....)

If one chooses to Japan the tin it is quite period correct!

As a sprat, prior to the availability of Altoids tins I treasured the occasional Sucrets Tin that my relatives would pass my way:

yhs
prof marvel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2013, 05:49:23 am »

Indeed, Sir. Japanned (black-lacquered) tin boxes were most popular in my century. I believe the one stored by Dr. Watson was such a box. And there is this wonderful object described in Lady Chatterly's Lover. . .
Not an Altoids tin - apologies - but I feel it is in the spirit of ingenious compression within a restricted space. Wouldn't you love to have it!
C.W.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:02:33 am by Camellia Wingnut » Logged
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2013, 06:02:10 am »

I'm quite fond of altoids and similar sized tins, aside from making great wallets (they're the same size as a standard card) and survival kit containers, they're also fun make into mini games like pool (billiards) and golf.
http://vampiratemace.deviantart.com/art/Mini-Pool-Table-262094823

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2013, 08:15:10 am »

A mini-Farnsworth.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:35:01 am by Arabella Periscope » Logged
Plutus Sar
Officer

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2013, 06:09:50 pm »

A mini-Farnsworth.

Funny you should say that!  There's a company which makes a amateur (ham) radio which fits into an Altoids tin.  It's called the "Rockmite" and it operates QRP (extremely low power) on either the 20 or 40 meter bands.  You have to be a licensed radio operator to use one (a "ham" operator in the U.S.) but I understand they can be great fun - and sort of like a "mini-Farnsworth"!!!!  I've read reports of people "talking" (code, really) thousands of miles on these little wonders!

Plutus (licensed amateur since 1985 - but not associated with RockMite in any way)

"The problem is not that I was born in the wrong time, but that I should have been born in a time which has never existed..."
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2013, 10:27:58 pm »

Hmm.  You interest me strangely.  I shall research this.  It sounds very appealing.  Who does one talk to, though?  Long-haul truckers may speak a different language?
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 07:25:18 am »

Hmm.  You interest me strangely.  I shall research this.  It sounds very appealing.  Who does one talk to, though?  Long-haul truckers may speak a different language?

oh my yes!

-.-. --.-
-.-. --.-
-.-. --.-
-.. .
.-- -. ----. .. ..-. .--.

over to you.
yhs
prof marvel
(formerly) WN9IFP
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 10:44:11 am »

Oh, dear, Prof. Marvel.

Really, code? And I understand that the Rockmite must be ASSEMBLED?  It looks like rocket science to me.  And I would have liked a little Farnsworth in an Altoids tin.  (Sigh.)
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2013, 10:56:05 pm »

My Dears,
I had a dekko, and it seems the RockMite can still be obtained from Hong Kong, and the original people are now making something called - would you believe it? - a Super Octopus!
Perhaps there are some rocket scientists among you who could do the assembly and sell on. . . . Although, as the kits cost about $40.00, the result might be beyond our netted purses.
I would be able to secrete (if you will pardon the expression) an Altoids communicator in my reticule and pass it off as peppermints..
Auntie C.
lientie
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

bethanlientie
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2013, 01:38:11 am »

As a steampunk, my Altoids tin contains a mini watercolour painting kit..not related to steampunk at all, but still very handy and something I use all the time.
Also Pentel aquabrush, best thing i've ever bought, I recommend them to anyone doing watercolour painting out and about.

I do want to make a mini survival kit once I find a nice enough tin, I've been meaning to put one together for ages..I like the look of the one linked by Camellia Wingnut above Smiley
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:40:11 am by lientie » Logged

Confabulation!
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2013, 03:20:42 am »

You're right about that Aquabrush.  An amazingly simple idea and it works so well.  Why doesn't it flood? I have had one for years and the bristles are still good and they have not become discolored in such a way as to pollute any new tint. Coloured pencils can be bought in useful flat tins sometimes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: