The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 07:58:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Cocktails!  (Read 21263 times)
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

aka Helga Von Flam, Lady Aviatrix Extraordinaire

« on: May 01, 2011, 09:40:49 pm »

So, recently on facebook The Governess alerted friends to a very steampunk sounding cocktail called and Earl Grey martini. Not only does it contain the steampunk staple of tea but also Gin!

so tonight we had a go at making one.....phew! farily easy to make, great flavour but very strong!

Reason for this experiment is that at Waltz on the Wye we plan on having a cocktail available.

So Earl Grey Martini is a strong contender but i wondered if anyone could suggest to us any other Steampunk style cocktails?
Cordelia Forward
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:26:23 am »

I have a book called Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails by Ted Haigh and he gives a recipe for 'The Fogcutter'. I havent tried it but I think sounds quite Steampunk (and delicious). The recipe goes
1 oz white rum
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz brandy
1/2 oz sweet and sour mix
2 dashes simple syrup
Combine with ice and blend. Pour into a goblet. Add a float of cherry brandy on top and serve.

Tea Vicar? or shall we crack open another Sherry?
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:51:15 am »

There was another tea cocktail mentioned here by me a few weeks ago.

There is also a link to many tea based recipes.  Which I shall also post here.

http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/19/

and most importantly the blatantly renamed by me

"Tea & G"

2 parts Gin
    2 parts brewed and chilled Earl Gray Tea
    Squeeze of lemon juice
    Spoonful of sugar
    lime wheels for garnish
Froglet
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Jaqfrog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:31:01 am »

I'd like to put something together in a test-tube, that's green (Midori) and smoking.  But dry ice isn't safe to drink, I guess.

"if that is so, then derry-down derry, it's evident very our tastes are one"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
unashamed plug for my partner's business:
http://www.blackpyramid.co.uk - check out the Tea Wars range of figures
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:40:41 am »

There was another tea cocktail mentioned here by me a few weeks ago.

There is also a link to many tea based recipes.  Which I shall also post here.

http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/19/

and most importantly the blatantly renamed by me

"Tea & G"

2 parts Gin
    2 parts brewed and chilled Earl Gray Tea
    Squeeze of lemon juice
    Spoonful of sugar
    lime wheels for garnish

thanks for the link and T+G is the same as the Earl Grey martini Smiley
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 12:01:42 pm »

Indeed, it was created back in 2007 by Beefeater in honour of the film The Queen.

It has been pinched by many articles and reposted all over the place since Smiley  and indeed it is the same recipe that I posted a couple of weeks before the Governess posted the martini named one.  Personally I prefer the name Tea & G... but possibly only because I cam up with the name, lol.

May I recommend the Artillary Punch though... jolly refreshing.
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:20:38 pm »

Always preferred a mai-tai myself but it's not especially Steampunk though it does contain a minimum of 3 kinds of rum :-)

In terms of old fashioned drinks does anyone know where I can buy actual Porter from not just something that "evokes its memory"....

Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 01:37:52 pm »

Two things come to mind as steamy cocktails for me.

Ginger Ale and Rum.
One of the first commercial ginger ales was Vernor's Original. Although regionally limited in distribution, it dated from just after the Civil War. The ginger, a much favored Victorian era spice (almost as much as lemon, a cocktail of which with gin, sugar and ice is also most refreshing), along with a hint of vanilla works well, especially with a strong spiced, molasses heavy rum like Kraken. I suggest a stoichiometric proportion of  2 parts ginger ale to 1 parts Kraken, shaken with ice and a lime slice garnish.

The Sazerac
A classic New Orleans cocktail dating from before the Civil War. Formulations vary, however the main ingredients generally include sugar or cane sugar simple syrup, Rye Whiskey, Absinthe (other, lesser spirits have been substituted over the decades when it was unavailable), Peychaud's Bitters, Angostura bitters (an optional variation that is not entirely classic but which seems to have become traditional) and a lemon peel twisted and dropped in the mix. I like a little dash of cognac in mine as well. Traditionally, one swished the Absinthe in a chilled glass then discarded it before adding the other ingredients. This is wasteful. Frugality demands that it be put to a far more noble use, such as remaining in place or being consumed as part of the Sazerac preparation ritual.

Here is a link discussing it and providing mixing options sufficiently detailed and erudite to satisfy the aesthetic complexity and mad scientist synthesist chemist cravings of any steampunk:
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/sazerac.html

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 01:58:59 pm by Prof Ainsworth Halfmain » Logged

Believe me, there exists no such dilemma as that in which a gentleman is placed when he is forced to reply to a blackguard. ~Edgar Allan Poe
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

Blithely combining Comestibles and Combustibles

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:07:37 am »

I would like to suggest the classic Boilermaker as a steam-worthy cocktail.  Very simple : mug/glass/pint of beer and a shot of whiskey.  To have a really-o, truly-o Boilermaker, one must drop the shot glass of whiskey into the beer, then drink (so be sure to leave a little headroom in the mug when pouring).
Capt Mannfred Eckermann
Officer
Australia Australia

Keeping a weather eye

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:56:33 am »

In 1840, the then young Eckermann, lied about my age and enlisted in the Royal American Steam-Mech Cavalry and was sent with the New Zealand occupying forces.
While on the troopship "SS Hiram Dee" enroute to China Mannfred invented the “Rico's Revenge” (or Rico for short)

Rico’s Revenge Recipe
Take a triangular shaped glass, (ala martini)
Insert a green olive,
Lightly moisten olive with lemon juice,
Fill glass with gin that has been stored in ice for a considerable time, (should be extremely frosty, Antarctic if you will)
Add three drops of Angosura Bitters.
Enjoy!

This immediately led to the coining of the phrase “Phwaaagh!”

For Queen and Country
Capt. Mannfred Eckermann, Marines
RDC
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:36:08 am »

A little late for Steampunk (missed it by a decade-supposedly invinted in 1922) is the Brandy Alexander (it tastes like a chocolate milkshake-it's my favorite cocktail ever.  Introduced to my by Leslie Feist-look her up, quite the vocalist!).

It is quite tasty, easy to make, and did I mention after a few of 'em you're feeling fine?

1 part Brandy/Cognac (I prefer Christian Brothers VSOP or XO)
1 part Crem de Caco (use dark-if you use white it's called a Panama)
1 part half and half cream (or whole cream)

Mix 'em in a shaker with ice, shake till chilled, strain into a martini glass/brandy snifter, garnish with nutmeg, enjoy!

Then there's the venerable Gin and Tonic.  Cant go wrong with that, quite possibly the most steampunk drink of all, outside grog.

Lesse...  Silver and Soda is nice, would be more of a southern type drink...

2 oz Silver/White rum
8 oz Soda/Tonic water
Pour over ice in a collins glass
Garnish with lime wedge and mint leaf

Then there's one I just found-called "Blood and Sand," (again, supposedly from 1922, but the NAME suits an air pirate, aye?)

1 part Cherry Brandy
1 part Scotch Whiskey
1 part Sweet Vermouth
1 part Orange Juice
Mix in shaker with ice
Strain into cocktail/martini glass
Garnish with orange slice

Then there's another favorite of mine-extra points to anyone that can tell me the name, and where it comes from!

3 measures of Gordon's
1 of vodka
1/2 a measure of Kina Lillet
Shake it very well until it's ice-cold
then add a large thin slice of lemon peel.
Got it?

My second favorite coctail in the world, right there.  I prefer to use Smirnoff Red for the vodka, but occationally will splurge on Skyy or Crystal Head.  HAS to be Gordon's gin.  PERIOD.  In lieu of Kina Lillet, you can use various other vermouths (even though Lillet is not really a vermouth at all-it's a fortified wine-somewhat bitter as well...  Maybe adding a dash of bitters in with the vermouth will help give it that flavour?  Need to try that, myself).  I use Martini and Rossi DRY.  It's a very complex drink-suited to the upper class, the well to do, all in all, a very steampunk cocktail (probably the most so on my list outside G&T, even though it comes from the 1950s!).

I also have a LAUNDRYLIST of regular coctails, as I WAS going to be a bartender, but found out my state frowns upon those with bad mental history serving drinks.  So, I'll never have my liquor license, but I'm more than happy to be the resident bartender here!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:42:01 am by Xenos » Logged

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 11:41:53 am »

I cant remember it's proper name but and equal measure of gin and dubonnet shaken with ice and strained in to a glass is divine.

"If you are cold,Tea will warm you.
If you are too heated,It will cool you.
If you are depressed,It will cheer you.
If you are excited,It will calm you." Gladstone.
Capt Mannfred Eckermann
Officer
Australia Australia

Keeping a weather eye

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 12:35:54 pm »

My dear XENOS,

"HAS to be Gordon's gin."

I assumed that went without saying.  It has such a long pedigree.
It floated down the river behind the African Queen,
It must have been the drink of Chinese Gordon,
and it is the main ingrediant of a Rico!

Until recently I believed that there was only ONE gin, I have been informed otherwise but am not convinced.

XENOS I salute your good taste!

cheers
Eckermann,
Capt Marines
RDC
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 02:34:47 pm »

Gordon's gin is a good Gin BUt there are some other gins that  I feel are more refined and all have subtle difrences and are also just a tad more expensive

Bombay Sapphire
Hendrick's
Tanqueray
Whitley Neill-London Dry Gin
Pink 47-London Dry Gin-A Pink Gin
Plymouth Gin
and last but not least Jensen's have Old Tom Gin and Dry Bermondsey Gin
All well worth a try if you can get hold of them. pink47 is great neat on the rocks Grin
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 02:39:32 pm »

English Rose cocktail very girlie but oh so yummy this is for one drink so scale up for more peeps
3/4 oz apricot brandy
1 1/2 oz gin
3/4 oz dry vermouth
1 tsp grenadine syrup
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1 cherry

Rub rim of cocktail glass with lemon juice and dip rim of glass in powdered sugar. Shake all ingredients (except cherry) with ice and strain into sugar-rimmed glass. Top with the cherry.
loads more ideas here www.drinksmixer.com
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 07:59:07 pm »

Gordon's gin is a good Gin BUt there are some other gins that  I feel are more refined and all have subtle difrences and are also just a tad more expensive

Bombay Sapphire
Hendrick's
Tanqueray
Whitley Neill-London Dry Gin
Pink 47-London Dry Gin-A Pink Gin
Plymouth Gin
and last but not least Jensen's have Old Tom Gin and Dry Bermondsey Gin
All well worth a try if you can get hold of them. pink47 is great neat on the rocks Grin

i never used to like gin until i tried Hendricks -gorgeous stuff.
The only others that i like are Sipsmith and Tanqueray 10.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 08:28:10 pm »

Can I share a cocktail recipe given me by Warren Ellis himself?

The Pint of Whiskey
1) Take one (1) pint glass
2) Fill with whiskey
3) Slap the (deleted) out of anyone who orders a [frou-frou] drink

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 08:37:58 pm »

Goodness Gracious Me!! that's a rather extreme way of taking a dram!! - It would put most folk flat on their backs!!!

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 09:25:59 pm »

Goodness Gracious Me!! that's a rather extreme way of taking a dram!! - It would put most folk flat on their backs!!!

And this is why I thank tha good Lord every day that I'm Irish!
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 12:40:45 am »

It displays the unimpeachable virtue of simplicity.  Besides, it is not as if I would be drinking all that quickly.  A full pint of whiskey will last for at least an hour on most evenings for me.
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 02:50:54 am »

Miss du Chine,

As a (recovering) New Yorker, I must disagree on one small detail:

If you pour the shot into the beer, it is a Boilermaker.

If you drop the shotglass into the mug, it becomes a Depth Charge Smiley

(and in the Bronx in the late 60's, you could request the "Irish" version of either, it would be Guinness and Jameson's)

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 03:28:46 am »

Miss du Chine,

As a (recovering) New Yorker, I must disagree on one small detail:

If you pour the shot into the beer, it is a Boilermaker.

If you drop the shotglass into the mug, it becomes a Depth Charge Smiley

(and in the Bronx in the late 60's, you could request the "Irish" version of either, it would be Guinness and Jameson's)

You are quite correct, though most people are not aware of the subtleties of the difference.  Another name, if kept separate, is A Beer And A Bump.  George Thorogood altered the recipe slightly - one bourbon, one scotch, one beer  Wink
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 03:35:14 am »

I am a Gordon's Girl - I WANT to taste the juniper, thank you!

I would also like to suggest the Bacardi Cocktail as it was one of my favorites in Panama.  It was served with just a tiny dash of grenadine and very frosty.  Yum!  Back home, we used to play a game (?) called Bartender's Roulette.  Tell the barkeep to let the Old Mr. Boston's Guide fall open and with eyes closed, stab at a drink.  Open, make, serve to the assembled group.  Found some amazing beverages this way and it got us out of the 'gimme the usual' rut.  Smiley
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 04:50:09 am »

I am a Gordon's Girl - I WANT to taste the juniper, thank you!

I would also like to suggest the Bacardi Cocktail as it was one of my favorites in Panama.  It was served with just a tiny dash of grenadine and very frosty.  Yum!  Back home, we used to play a game (?) called Bartender's Roulette.  Tell the barkeep to let the Old Mr. Boston's Guide fall open and with eyes closed, stab at a drink.  Open, make, serve to the assembled group.  Found some amazing beverages this way and it got us out of the 'gimme the usual' rut.  Smiley

My friends and I have something similar we do.  It's called "Get Xenos liquored up and give him a mixer!" tee hee hee  They just stick me infront of the bar, and say "Have at it.  If it's good, we keep it.  If it's bad, well... *pulls out taser*"

So far we've come up with SEVERAL good shots...  Truth Syrum (recorded), the Tussen (sadly lost), the Orancesicle (recorded), the Pussy (recorded), and the Regurgatating F*** You Up Jackhammer (recorded). 

Truth Syrum is sort of "Our Shot," as it were.  The Jackhammer is a gag shot.  Either you WILL be hung over the next day, or you WILL throw up shortly after drinking...  Something about Butterschnapps... 

OOOOOOH!  Butterschnapps and Bailey's!  I'll bet that'd be pretty good...  Oh wait... That's a buttery nipple, nevermind...  Sorry, forgot.

Now I want Sex on the Beach...
Grymm
Officer
England England

"If I want your opinion I'll thrash it out of you"

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 01:32:57 am »

Le Fee and red bull, tastes like blackjack chews and makes for very silly nights around the campfire we called it a RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

The Dark and Stormy(Steamy?) Dark rum, ginger beer(Old Jamacia or Idris never never ginger ale) proportions of 1 to 4-6 (depending on personal preference) and splash of lime cordial..... Made somewhat more dangerous by using Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer instead of the soft stuff. Then there's a Safe Haven which is a Dark n Stormy with a large port in it.

Or The Monkey Gland 50/50 Gin and fresh orange juice, shot of absinthe, splash of grenadine and somewhere soft to land.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

I've tried to see it from your point of view but I can't fit my head up your arse'ole too.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: