The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2021, 10:31:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian names which ought to be revived.  (Read 61344 times)
cwoolbrightjr
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2008, 05:33:36 am »

Astrid, Elsebeth, Ruth, and a couple of others that will come to me in the wee hours of the night
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2008, 05:41:19 am »

My grandmother (b. 1898) and her sisters were Leona, Helen, Margaret, Fay, Dola and Rhea.

My grandfather (b. 1895) was Clarence Humphrey, always known as Humphrey.

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Lily
Snr. Officer

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2008, 08:40:31 am »

I have a fetish for weird names, and my family members fear for my future children (who were at one point going to be named Athena and Orion). 

When my youngest was in the fourth grade she decided she was going to have twins, a boy and a girl, and name them Isosceles and Scalene. As the future grandmother to these children, I vetoed that idea post haste.

I do understand her however. She and I both have the most common female names of our times. I struggled to find her a more unusual name but the name she has is the only name that suited her. Still, there's unusual and there is completely out there.

Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.
vermillion
Snr. Officer

Captain of the air-ship Orfiel.

« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2008, 05:03:08 pm »

My real name is Marguerite.

I grew up hating my name because it was long and nobody ever got it right when they both wrote it or said it.
though as I got older I began to really like my name, BECAUSE noone can ever get it right.

As for names themselves, I'm giving my kids names that they will hate until they're old enough to apprieciate them as well ^_^.
Doc Rivets
Officer
Australia Australia

Relative Density Tester

« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2008, 08:47:18 pm »

My all time favourite character name, from a novel that is now forgotten...

"Ulysses Urassis Dragin"

Grin
Doc

"The law of gravity, may need to be repealed."
Ben Franklin's Electric Kite
Zeppelin Captain

Rex Libris

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2008, 09:18:18 pm »

I once knew a kid by the name of Blue. First name Stormy. Blue was his middle name.

Now we are drifting off the topic, but I'm compelled to comment that I once lived with a guy named Rocky Mountain. No middle name.
Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2008, 11:13:40 pm »

Well, back on topic, a few good names from the glorious era are Ogilvy, Henderson, Stent, and Kingston. I recently stumbled across these names and thought they were rather charming..

Silvia Lovett
Gunner

Gypsy Colored Love

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2008, 11:57:37 pm »

I will always be desprately in love with the name Edward and Ian.

Broken hearts change the mind, notice that they'er killing mine.
Dr. Babinski, Ds.D
Gunner

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2008, 07:41:21 am »

I have a fetish for weird names, and my family members fear for my future children (who were at one point going to be named Athena and Orion). 

Among my circle of friends, young folks names are: Cedar, Orion, Dorian, Laurel, Harrison, Zachary, Zenith, Alexandra, Hans. And these are not a bunch of science fiction convention people, just very creative folks. Far in the future they will be called "hippies."

BTB is there a Victorian way to say "science fiction convention?"

Dr. B

It's good to stand behind your work.

I've found that sometimes, it's even better to stand behind a brick wall, about a block away from your work.
Doc Rivets
Officer
Australia Australia

Relative Density Tester

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2008, 08:49:22 am »

Dr. B

Scientific Fable Convocation ?

Doc
Luella Dobson
Snr. Officer

The Chicago Steampixie

misshistory
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2008, 02:54:49 pm »

My sister's boyfriend wants to name a kid of his Fuck.

and Freakazoid.

He's also thought of Captain Mussels.

nobody said he was bright.

I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means
Ella Kremper
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Retro-Tech Dystopiac

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2008, 03:09:54 pm »

My sister's boyfriend wants to name a kid of his Fuck.

and Freakazoid.

He's also thought of Captain Mussels.

nobody said he was bright.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sod Off Baldrick?

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.
Atticus
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steampunk Anti-Hero

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2008, 03:30:20 pm »

Chauncey, Leslie (which used to be a masculine name), and Thaddeus.
I also had two very dear stuffed cats named Buford and Eustace as a child.

For female names, I've always been partial to Mathilde and Zylphia.

My middle name's Leslie cause it's my dad's name.
If I have a son I plan to call him Isaac.

"Whoops! Forgot my goggles!"
Your Grim Reaper Has Arrived
The Hon. Luc Du Rette
Snr. Officer

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2008, 03:51:50 pm »

Dr. B
Well, I like the idea of using a French phrase, in honor of Verne:
Rassemblament de liseurs des "romans d' anticipation scientifique".

Or "Assemblage of readers of speculative science novels"

Although, somehow, I doubt there can be a good Victorian way of including the sense of what a sci-fi con is without writing a short novel, to explain the phenomena. Here's a very brief attempt:

"Assemblage of readers of speculative science novels; including a proprieter's bazaar, aspirers to thespian costumery, devotees of specific themes found in such speculative fiction, and artists singing parodies of popular music."
I think that covers a sci-fi con, with a merchant's booth, costumes, fanbois, and filksingers.
Ouch, now my brain hurts. I think I bruised it trying to Victorianize fanboi and filksinger.

-And on another note: The universe repair team needs more duct tape already
cefriedl
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2008, 05:54:25 pm »

I've never been one for Victorian names but I do love traditional names with a twist or uncommon names. My first name is Carrie, which everyone spells wrong (don't even get me started on my random German last name I married into). My husband's name is Karl, which everyone also spells wrong because he spells it the German way. We have a 1 year old son whose name is Kevin Ehren. Kevin is his uncle's name and a wonderful Irish name (I'm Irish-American). Ehren, how I love my son's middle name. I had to pick an "E" name because all the boys in my husband's family have the same initials. Edward was already taken by his uncle and grandfather, Erich (yes the german spelling( was taken by his great uncle and father. I really had a HARD time finding a Good 'E' name when I happened upon Ehren in a name book. It is German for honorable but I also like it as an alternative spelling to Erin. I love how my son's name hints at his heritage without naming Hans Seamus.

The girl's name my husband and I have picked out is Kaylee Elizabeth (again with the KE). We fell in love with Kaylee from firefly's sweet nature. Elizabeth, while terribly traditional and somewhat boring is my middle name and I just think it is pretty.

If we have another son I've become rather fond of the name Tristan (from Stardust). It would break tradition but who cares.
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2008, 08:36:19 pm »

The girl's name my husband and I have picked out is Kaylee Elizabeth (again with the KE). We fell in love with Kaylee from firefly's sweet nature. Elizabeth, while terribly traditional and somewhat boring is my middle name and I just think it is pretty.

Kaylee rocks.   Grin

Is this name for a daughter who has already been born and named, or one who is on the way (or just hoped for)?  If the latter, then you might also consider variants of Elizabeth (which I personally don't think is boring, btw).  Some "E" variations on the name would be Elspeth, Elise, Eliza, or Elsa / Else.  But "Kaylee Elizabeth" has a nice flow to it.   Smiley

Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2008, 08:53:57 pm »

The names Olivia and Lilly (as in short for Lillian, not as in the flower) seem to be making a comeback, at least in my area, and so is Grace.  On the other hand, I haven't heard of anyone rushing to name their daughters Clothilde or Hortense lately, and the youngest Geraldine I know is of my parents' generation. 

My grandmother's name was Myrtle, which isn't a name one hears very often nowadays.  She told me if I named my daughter that, she'd disown me, because she grew up hearing countless "Myrtle wears a girdle" jokes.  (Maybe she should've been glad she wasn't named Hortense....  Wink )There's also a Sallie Euvesta somewhere in my family tree.

Male names in my family tree are fairly traditional (John, Neil, Daniel), though there's at least one Angus and a Forney.  My husband's ancestry boasts a few men named "Philander" and, worse, "Philanderer," which one hopes wasn't descriptive of their character as well.   Cheesy
Lady Anne
Snr. Officer

Director of jerry-rigging.

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2008, 09:03:19 pm »

Digging up fun names from my ancestry:
for men: Garland, Percival, Clayton, Oscar, Theron, Mathias, Elwood, Oswald
for women: Lulu, Ferris, Cordelia (Della), Augusta (Gustie), Berit, Margit, Tholine

Just happen to have a family tree book.  There's a nice Victorian names section, bracketed by things like Sigard and Jorgen at the far end, and stuff like Kimberlee and Tawni at the recent end.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2008, 09:37:57 pm »

Seriously, though, I am particularly fond of Demetrius, along with Ambrose, Zebediah, Theodore, and <b>Henry</b>. There really aren't enough Henries around these days. Also Tristram. But not Tristan.

my boyfriend is called Henry (and he's only 18)
I've heard that its a tradition (maybe Scottish) to give the oldest son his mother surname as a first name.
Therefore my first cat will be called Mischa (which is a diminutive of my surname)

I like the name Ivy and those Puritan 'virtue' names.

I read somewhere that Abigail was such a common lower class name in teh Victorian era that sometimes servants were referred to as 'Abigails'

Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2008, 09:59:45 pm »

my friend named her golf cart Abigail. Don't ask me why. I guess a golf cart could be considered a servant...

as for victorian girl names, i like Adella, Minerva, Zylphia, and Mildred. there are many other good ones, obviously, i just like those.
Alain Raethorne
Zeppelin Captain

Browncoat and Firefly Flan

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2008, 10:09:15 pm »

Just to dig up some crazy names from my ancestors that I remember off the top of my head:
At least one Hezekiah
More than a few Moses's (Mosi?)
More Henrys than you can shake a stick at
And to top it off, my grandma's name: Mary Teresa Albina Bernita Chandler. Yeah. Or it could be 'Bernita Albina', I mix the two up.

Those are just ones from my mom's side, and we have records of our family going back about 600 years. Don't get me started with my dad's side..... (Here's a hint: There's an awful lot of Cherokee in that family)

Navigator aboard the AAV Raziel.

Gold is for the mistress-silver for the maid-
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
"Good" said the Baron, sitting in his hall
"But Iron-Cold Iron-is master of them all."
Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2008, 10:15:51 pm »

oh dear. native american names can get pretty weird.
Orlando
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2008, 10:23:04 pm »

Lady Penelope mentioned Myrtle - I used to work with a lady who was nicknamed Myrtle by a co-worker.
Laverna Lovett~ mentioned Mildred.
How about Hilda,  or Prudence.
It would be great to know a Prudence - letters could start....

"Dear Prudence,
    Won't you come out to play?"

Orlando.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 10:26:40 pm by Orlando » Logged
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2008, 10:28:26 pm »

Honoria.
Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2008, 10:47:04 pm »

"Dear Prudence,
    Won't you come out to play?"

haha it would be fun to write letters to Prudence.

I like the names Felicity and Pippa as well. Those names come from Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: