The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 02, 2021, 11:06:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian names which ought to be revived.  (Read 61755 times)
Taluria
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Sometimes it just feels better to hide.

Holli_Tal
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2007, 02:22:23 am »

I remember hearing of an American Puritan family that named it's daughters Faith, Hope, & Charity.

Vienna
It could be worse. I've  met a woman by the name of Chastity. That was a Victorian name I wouldn't use.

Lilian Aston Talbot of the International Cryptozoological and Supernatural Research Society.
"Oh yes, I research and look for mythical beasts. Sea serpents, Phoukas, good men... That sort of thing."
http://twitter.com/OfTheICaSRS
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2007, 02:30:26 am »

Dear Taluria,

Hmm, yes, being named "Chastity", especially back then might be an opening for all sorts of ribaldries, probably mostly behind the woman's back.

Vienna
phuphuphnik
Officer

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2007, 08:24:52 am »

My two are Louisa May and Morganna Rose.

After Well, Alcott, and Morgan LeFey
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2007, 08:41:02 am »

This is not exactly Victorian, but I recently heard a woman talking about "4th daughter names".  According to her, this happens when the parents despair of having a son & give the girl a sometimes very awkward feminization of  their fathers name.

Vienna
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2007, 11:03:13 am »

How about reviving Shirley & Marion as boys names?

(I gave you that name and I said goodbye. I knew you'd have to get tough or die)
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2007, 11:41:25 am »

(I gave you that name and I said goodbye. I knew you'd have to get tough or die)
(Skyhooks)
DreddPirateBob
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2007, 03:34:23 pm »

I was given the name "Robert roy stephen brown", not too bizarre but not too modern. Didnt think much of it when i was a kid, though age has made me happier with it Smiley

at least i wasn't called Merry, like my good friend. Yes. after the hobbit.  Roll Eyes every december he has reason to loathe it.

On a side note, my mother called me robert because there were no other Roberts in the family. She later found there was. 'Mad uncle Robert'. yes. really. Created a religion of which he was the only member, amoungst other things. thank the lord i'm not eccentric like that. ah. dammit... Cheesy
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2007, 04:26:34 pm »

(Skyhooks)
(Boy Named Sue: The Man In Black J. Cash)
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2007, 05:19:06 pm »

at least i wasn't called Merry, like my good friend. Yes. after the hobbit.  Roll Eyes every december he has reason to loathe it.

On a side note, my mother called me robert because there were no other Roberts in the family. She later found there was. 'Mad uncle Robert'. yes. really. Created a religion of which he was the only member, amoungst other things. thank the lord i'm not eccentric like that. ah. dammit... Cheesy

I hope Merry wasn't Jewish or Muslim. And I envy you- You have an eccentric uncle.

http://fugunews.wordpress.com/

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulance and then...explode." --Malcom Reynolds, Serenity
DreddPirateBob
Officer

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2007, 06:56:29 pm »

And I envy you- You have an eccentric uncle.

mad uncle robert was a great great uncle i believe, but of this generation? i have two Smiley

if it wasn't for my lack of siblings i'm sure it would be the role destined for me too (and bob would indeed be thier uncle)
T. Davenport
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2007, 01:14:31 pm »

I remember hearing of an American Puritan family that named it's daughters Faith, Hope, & Charity.

Vienna

That wasn't unusual - Faith and Hope are still widely used, Charity seems to have become less common.

I know a family with three girls by the names of Serenity, Mercy, and Charity.
Orlando
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2008, 05:56:42 am »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Er, OK.
I think the Netiquette term for this is "Threadomancy"
though I can't think why as surely this would mean
"Divination by thread on an Internet forum".
If I receive a reprimand I will delete the post.

When I was at college, I shared a house with two French girls who introduced me to their friend who's name sounded like 'Anne-yes'.  I loved that name and it belonged to a pretty, sweet and smallish girl who spoke English as well as I can.  I got quite a shock when I saw her name written down and realised that 'Anne-yes' is the French pronunciation of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Orlando.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 01:23:01 pm by Orlando » Logged
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2008, 05:10:57 pm »

Dear Orlando,

Thats the first time I've ever seen that warning.  But, I don't think this topic is one that gets outdated, so it's probably fine.

Vienna
Silvia Lovett
Gunner

Gypsy Colored Love

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2008, 05:27:41 pm »

octavious, Edward, alice, jasper, emmet

Broken hearts change the mind, notice that they'er killing mine.
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2008, 05:32:06 pm »

There seem to be a fair number of poor unfortunates named after characters from those books. The younger brother of a friend of mine was saddled with the moniker "Peregrine", although he has managed to convince everyone to shorten it to "Perry"!
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2008, 05:50:04 pm »

There is always the ancient joke about the preacher who took care in naming his dogs, so "Shirley, Goodness and Mercy shall follow him all the days of his life" Smiley

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Dr. Babinski, Ds.D
Gunner

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2008, 07:01:28 pm »

My dear colleauges,

Just what I was thinking... what about Victorian cat names?

My cat is named Muggons, after the colloquial name of the herb, mugwort.

y'rs, Dr. B

It's good to stand behind your work.

I've found that sometimes, it's even better to stand behind a brick wall, about a block away from your work.
CapnSamwise
Gunner

So there I was, naked.

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2008, 07:35:27 pm »

If I ever have a son, I am naming him Compost.

For some reason, the Girlfriend takes offense at that.

The only thing more dangerous than a good idea is a bad idea held by motivated idiots.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2008, 08:00:35 pm »

Falcon seems like a manly monicker.  Smiley

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Lady Anne
Snr. Officer

Director of jerry-rigging.

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2008, 10:28:34 pm »

I have a fetish for weird names, and my family members fear for my future children (who were at one point going to be named Athena and Orion).  I write scifi that usually takes place in the future, and I tend to give my characters old-fashioned names.  I figure some of them will come back into fashion anyway.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.
Ben Franklin's Electric Kite
Zeppelin Captain

Rex Libris

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2008, 12:35:30 am »

This is still very common, at least locally to me. My grandmother insists that the new modern names for three sisters shall be Crystal, China and Silver.

I think it is obvious that the only really proper Victorian man's name is Earnest, even if it's Algernon.

I think the greatest faux-Victorian silly name is "Strangely Brown," which was mentioned in a Blackadder episode once.

I am amused by the occassional odd historical lower-class names of age-of-sail sailors, and the funny names that go with positions ones -- the ship's cook is always "Jack Nastyface" and the guy in charge of the ship's livestock is "Jemmy Ducks."
The Hon. Luc Du Rette
Snr. Officer

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2008, 01:17:07 am »

My favorites from my own geneology: Psalter (for a man), Nathaniel, Alva (again, for a man), Asa, and "Pearl Bernard" (for a man, bernard as the middle name), and Lafayette. Lafayette's middle name was Andrew, and so he went by his initials, "L. A.".
The women have good names, too, particularly with their nicknames: Parthena "Thena", and Henrietta "Retta". Also, Lela Ann, Emmie Lorene, (the Emmie was not her nickname but her full name) Rosina, and Sophia.
I also love the names Rhea (said as ray, not ree-ah), Rhua (Roo-ah) and Alma. Beatrice is another favorite.

-And on another note: The universe repair team needs more duct tape already
Alain Raethorne
Zeppelin Captain

Browncoat and Firefly Flan

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2008, 03:55:44 am »

This is still very common, at least locally to me. My grandmother insists that the new modern names for three sisters shall be Crystal, China and Silver.

Oh god, I once new a girl by the name of Silver. I'm not going into details, but that was an interesting year....

My name, I've always thought, was decidedly epic enough: Zachariah. I know many Zachs, one of which is my best friend, but all of their names are actually Zachary. Seriously, I know something around 20 of them.

I always have crazy ideas for names, but I've kinda settled on Wolfgang Amadeus. And the girlfriend has no problems with it. Win.

I once knew a kid by the name of Blue. First name Stormy. Blue was his middle name.

Navigator aboard the AAV Raziel.

Gold is for the mistress-silver for the maid-
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
"Good" said the Baron, sitting in his hall
"But Iron-Cold Iron-is master of them all."
Jarod20
Snr. Officer

Is only a Rumour...

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2008, 04:07:41 am »

I have it in my head to name my children after writers liked Lewis Carrol Arons or Herbert Phillip Arons
I also love the name Orlando, from Virginia Woolf, but I would never tell my kid thats where I got it

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw
Orlando
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2008, 05:15:48 am »

Why not ?

Orlando.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 06:07:59 am by Orlando » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: