The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 29, 2022, 12:03:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian names which ought to be revived.  (Read 61970 times)
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #300 on: June 08, 2011, 01:23:12 pm »

Our daughter is called Amber, witch is multi langual accepted and sounds the same in most languages. We live in a multicultural world, so picking a name means extra caution, when you don't want your kid to be bullied 'cause of it's name.

I love the old names like Leopold, Charlotte, Clarence and of course the ultimate victorian name Victoria. But more of a shortened version like Leo, Lotte, Vicky. I think the victorians shortended names to.

I don't like names like Peace, Flower, Princess, Love, Butterfly or Apple. Perhaps a translated version in a forreign language could work, but chances of the translation coming out is getting big.

Polaris mentioned Benedict. I like that name.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
ValancyJane
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Gravatar

« Reply #301 on: June 08, 2011, 02:53:15 pm »

I adore the name Viktor, and I PROMISE I will name one of my future sons Viktor! I also adore Vincent.

Not a Viktor, but I did name my son Victor.  My husband actually chose it because he likes that his son will always be "the winner".  My daughter also has lovely old-fashioned name as well--Aurora.

"Steampunk makes me feel like we can rewind the future, take tech in new directions, and wear better clothes." Scott Westerfeld via Twitter.
"Steampunk is...a fish...with a cog on its head"
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

"What We Know of the Ether" - 1906

« Reply #302 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:58 pm »

I used to know a guy named Lindsey, and Ash from evil dead would be a widely known, in certain circles at least, male use of Ashley.
They are very rare though you're right.

I think I've known more Male Ashleys than I have Female, until I came across the 'Mary-Kate and Ashley' series as a kid I had always thought it was a Male name. (So did one of my parents, I think. I remember one of them commenting that it was an unusual name choice for a girl.
I'm not sure which country you live in, but maybe it is more common in the UK than the US?

Also, another name that used to be male but is now female, Alison
A Unisex name that I know, Dale (or Dayle), is increasingly regarded as a male name, so it does go the other way.  

Teleportation! See me go from nought to zero in zero seconds!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #303 on: June 08, 2011, 03:20:25 pm »

Vladimir might be misconstrued as stemming from the unseemly interest in all those sparkly emo vampires.

Contrary to popular belief 'Vlad' (as in Vlad Dracula) is not short for Vladimir..it's short for Vladislav.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #304 on: June 08, 2011, 04:13:36 pm »

Some bizarre and strange surnames and places prononced in strange ways

Cholmondley - "Chumley"
Leominster - "Lemster"
Milngavie - "Mulguy"
Featherstonehaugh - "Fanshaw"
Beauchamp - "Beecham"
Caius - "Keys"
Magdelene - "Maudlin"
Gateacre - "Gattacka"
Colquhoon - "Cahoon"
Beaulieu - "Bewley"
Mainwaring - "Mannering"
Menzies - "Mengies"

Theofania - "Tiffany"
The name I would have got, if my Dad hadn't insisted that he didn't want a kid with a confusing name. He suggested Alice, which my mum agreed to because it was a traditional family name for him, and it was victorian and ultra-feminine.
If my brother had been a girl, my mum would have argued to call him "Tiffany" as well.
Contraption Pilot
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #305 on: June 08, 2011, 06:32:05 pm »

Gladys, Lillian, Elspeth, Mabel, Lottie, May, April, June, Suzanna, all female great aunts of my late father who was an Edward like my middle name.
olson.v
Gunner

Lady of Misrule + Lord of Misrule's other half

« Reply #306 on: June 08, 2011, 06:50:57 pm »

Gladys, Lillian, Elspeth, Mabel, Lottie, May, April, June, Suzanna, all female great aunts of my late father who was an Edward like my middle name.

My daughter's name is Lily (a diminutive of Lillian). I've also always liked the names Esmee (my elderly distant cousin) and Eloise.

There's a tradition on both sides of my family, and in my mother-in-law's family to give old family names as middle names. Hence our Lily's middle name is Macavon, and I have girl cousins with middle names like McCullough and Clark, and a brother-in-law with the middle name Wilson.

I've heard this was a fairly common practice in the Victorian era, although I have no idea whether it originated then, or whether it appeared earlier.

When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets fairly crowded.
Contraption Pilot
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #307 on: June 08, 2011, 07:04:32 pm »

I used to work for an Ernest Victor, also a Clarance and a Cecil.  On mothers side   Grandfather was a Fredrick.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #308 on: June 08, 2011, 07:15:46 pm »

Rasputin, Vladamir have to be revived.

Rasputin was not a first name, sorry to state.  The Mad Monk's full name was Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin.

Vladimir might be misconstrued as stemming from the unseemly interest in all those sparkly emo vampires.

Z

I reaslise that Rasputin wasn't a first name. Smiley
Concerning "Sparkly Arsed Vampires", I've had the pleasure of not reading or watching stuff tlike that.  Grin

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #309 on: June 10, 2011, 07:06:46 pm »

my neice's name in English is Raven, which is the short form of "small smart/mischevios  dark bird of fourtuneappearing out of a cloud while singing"; grandma is a Native American with interesting dreams
                                                            Miles

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #310 on: July 14, 2011, 10:37:15 pm »

I dealt with a customer at work with the wonderful name Aloysius A. Horn.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
citizen_erased
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

kojitmal
« Reply #311 on: July 14, 2011, 11:41:27 pm »

I like the amount of Charlotte/Lotte/Lottie`s in here - the first is my actual name and the other two are what people generally call me. Most of my Japanese friends don`t even know my name is actually Charlotte, since I wrote Lotte on all the official forms as well and never used the full name when introducing myself in Japan XD

Personally, if I ever have a son, he will probably be called Flynn, Elyan or maybe Sho (翔)
For girls, I have always liked names like Gwen and Isabelle.

I also love how much thought the Japanese usually put in their names, although there are a lot of very unfortunate names there as well. For example, I know of one actor whose name consists of the characters for "spring" and "horse" (春馬, Haruma). I therefore actually refer to him as "springhorse".

My parents were wholly uncreative when it came to names. My brother has a very normal name, my sister`s name they saw in a movie the evening before she was born, and they didn`t even think of my name themselves. Instead, they let the doctor decide after I was born. I fully intend on putting much more thought into the names should I ever have children.

Sometimes I vlog: www.youtube.com/realkojitmal
(I even once did a steampunk related video!)

There`s a blog too: http://kojitmal.wordpress.com
HR
Zeppelin Captain

If at first you dont succeed, hit it with a hammer

« Reply #312 on: July 15, 2011, 12:00:53 am »

In my family tree I genuinly have a Mary Christmas.
As to place names how about
Hapisborough pronounced Haizborough
and of course Wymondham - windham or to the old Norfolk boys, wum.
Essex Bounty
Gunner

« Reply #313 on: July 15, 2011, 03:28:44 am »

Dana, Josslyn and Evelyn - for men.

Has Sherlock been mentioned?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:33:14 am by Essex Bounty » Logged
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #314 on: July 15, 2011, 04:58:37 am »

Heh, I do my shopping in a town in NC called Zebulon...Wink
TVC15
Zeppelin Admiral

Extremely hazardous...have some?

« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2011, 05:14:26 am »

My paternal great-grandmother's first name was Philomene. She was from Sicily and immigrated to the US after her daughter, Catherine. As a side note about my grandmother Catherine, I still don't know how she got the nickname Pete. Undecided

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2011, 02:33:54 pm »

In my family tree I genuinly have a Mary Christmas.
As to place names how about
Hapisborough pronounced Haizborough
and of course Wymondham - windham or to the old Norfolk boys, wum.

That's funny, a branch of my family have the last name of Christmas, I wonder if we are related? They always get a lot of letters from small children at a certain time of year  Grin
HR
Zeppelin Captain

If at first you dont succeed, hit it with a hammer

« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2011, 04:56:47 pm »

foundlings were often given the sirname of the season they were found in, but it is posible we are related. My lot are from Cambridgeshire.
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #318 on: July 22, 2011, 10:46:47 pm »

On my mom's side, my grandfather's name was Edwin Julius and my grandmother's name was Laura Elizabeth.  On my dad's side my grandfather was Ollie Everett (My dad is jr.) and my grandmother's name was Joyce Elder  (Elder was the name of the doctor that delivered her.

I also had various relatives named Everidge, Myrtle, Florence, Lottie, Teeny, Deeni, and even an "Aunt Toad".  I can't remember Aunt Toad's real name anymore.

My great grandmother on my mom's mother's side was Mattie Gertrude.

As for names, if I ever have a daughter, her name with be Cassandra Janae.  The Janae is in honor of a very dear friend who died of cancer and Cassandra is the name of a recurring character that shows up in my dreams.  I also like the name Alexis for a girl.
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #319 on: July 23, 2011, 07:52:01 pm »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I've always been partial to the name Winston.
inigo jameson-gatling
Officer
Iceland Iceland

lofthussar

« Reply #320 on: July 23, 2011, 09:59:32 pm »

When I was very young I had a friend named Torquil, which may be even older than the 19th century, and my daughter is Vitória, a name that causes some difficulty.

You cannot complain about the sky if you suffer airshipwreck for the second time.
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer

« Reply #321 on: July 24, 2011, 07:52:42 am »

Being a big fan of the Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes series, I really like the names Basil and Nigel
TheodosiaRowatt-Vampire
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #322 on: July 24, 2011, 08:10:56 am »

I would love to name my child Theodosia. It is such a beautiful name! And if they were trans it's just a short jump to Theodore... Tongue

Don't worry, I don't bite... hard...
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #323 on: July 24, 2011, 08:25:32 am »

My cousin was named/baptized "Hendrina".
Reason: if she would have been a boy, they would have named 'him' "Heinrich" after the paternal grandfather. As there is no female german version for it, they went for a "free-flow" of "Henry".
We have so far never found anybody else with this name and she, still to this day HATES it!!
Her major thought: "They could have made it my middle name, but no, it HAD to be the first and only name"
German law about names, changing names etc was/is still quite strict.
So, she was/is stuck with it!
Parents: please give your kids several names, so they can at least legally choose, if they happen to hate YOUR choice! Smiley Cool

"...it was here just a minute ago!"  Motto of the lovely Lady Guinevere Meander
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »

Old fashioned names are really popular in the USA now. Our friends just named their daughter Charlotte. Our niece is Sofia (Sophia is I think the #1 name for girls in the last year or two but this spelling is also popular). Henry, Rose, Oliver all have major usage.

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: