The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 29, 2022, 12:10:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian names which ought to be revived.  (Read 61971 times)
Clockwerk Wolf
Snr. Officer
United States United States

He's a right looney, that one...

« Reply #275 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:27 am »

I've often joked that my full name will one day be amended to Judah Benjamin Tiberius Joseph Constantine Singer the Great. Once I become World Emperor anyway.  Grin

I think I will name one of my sons Viktor.

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #276 on: November 18, 2009, 11:03:05 am »

I adore the name Viktor, and I PROMISE I will name one of my future sons Viktor! I also adore Vincent.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #277 on: November 18, 2009, 12:30:11 pm »

Just seen this.
Both of our children got old fashioned names. Our daughter is called Emily and our son, Jacob.
However, it appears Emily came back into fashion as, unbeknown to us, it was the most popular name that year (1998) and we thought she'd be the only one in her class  Roll Eyes

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #278 on: November 18, 2009, 01:52:21 pm »

There was a story in British newspapers recently about a guy who assisted his wife's suicide and the report included quotes from their two grown up children...Caracticus and Boudica.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2009, 11:32:01 pm »

Caracticus Potts!!

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
Zer0
Officer

« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2009, 11:43:19 pm »

Personally,I feel Lettuce would be a good Forename for someone whose Surname was Pray :-)
Funny, my mentor always called me "Lettuce Flea" when his town square demonstrations exploded.
It was always, "Come, Lettuce Flea! Back to the lab!"

'
ROFLMAO

To see your world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower. To hold infinity in the palm of your hand, An eternity in an hour.  -William Blake.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #281 on: November 26, 2009, 03:45:02 pm »

I've been looking at records for my Victorian ancestors and on my dad's side they didn't have a lot of imagination as from 1730 until 1910 (6 generations), they were all named from a selection of John, Donald, Alexander, Peter, William or Edward for the boys and Mary, Margaret, Jean, Elizabeth, Janet, Catherine and one Jessie for the girls. There were a few named Georgina and Williamina, using the Scottish convention of adding 'ina' to a male forename to make a female one. Once into the 20th century the families seemed to get bigger and more names were needed, so 'new' ones like Robert, Henry, David, James, Charles, Russell, Ruth and Annie appeared by the first world war. In 1921, the 'ina' tradition was still going strong with Robertina though she was usually known as 'Ruby'.

On my mum's side there was a greater variety of the popular names, adding to the above, Alice, Caroline, Emma, Alfred, Frederick, Sarah, Minnie and Ernest. They did however have a couple of interesting names more akin to this post ~ Elfreda Ethel, Isaac, Rhoda, Hannah and Hephzibar!

So it seems to me, ordinary Victorians were probably much like us with currently popular names. Most are still in circulation so don't need to be revived. Maybe we just prefer to talk about and remember the unusual?

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #282 on: June 05, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »

I guess this is the most appropiate thread for this I want to say that I have become an uncle, to a little baby girl. She is going to be named Caroline Elise. Elise is my grandmother´s name, but she was born in 1914, so I can´t say if it´s a name used much in the Victorian era. Still, it at least sounds old fashioned.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Captain Lyerly
RIP/Voyager Beyond
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #283 on: June 05, 2011, 09:13:21 pm »

That's wonderful!

D'Oh!  Thread necromancy!!!  That's okay... but really, you could have put a whole thread in for Caroline Elise.  We wouldn't mind.  Beethoven's famous sonata was written "For Elise", so the name had been around quite a while.  Pretty name, too. 

Oh, and Congratulations!!!

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Nephele
Zeppelin Captain

MISTRESS OF NAMES

« Reply #284 on: June 05, 2011, 09:19:33 pm »

I guess this is the most appropiate thread for this I want to say that I have become an uncle, to a little baby girl. She is going to be named Caroline Elise. Elise is my grandmother´s name, but she was born in 1914, so I can´t say if it´s a name used much in the Victorian era. Still, it at least sounds old fashioned.

Congratulations on your unclehood, Atterton! 

As for the name "Elise"....  Census records reveal that, while the name "Elise" was in use during the Victorian era in the U.K., it wasn't as popular as the forms "Eliza" and "Elsie."

-- Nephele
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain

"What We Know of the Ether" - 1906

« Reply #285 on: June 05, 2011, 10:30:44 pm »

I use to know someone in school whos nickname was Lettuce. Her actual first name was Leticia. (Not sure if I have the spelling right) It is easy to see how nicknames could be mistakenly recorded as first names during a census, not everyone wrote their own details down, and just a missing out of quotation marks or even a single letter can change a name or make a nickname appear as a first name.

As for names, my brother and I have always been fond of Ancient Roman names, which could work in a victorian setting. My favourite is Tiberius, despite the tragic story behind it.

Teleportation! See me go from nought to zero in zero seconds!
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #286 on: June 05, 2011, 10:44:15 pm »

A good friend of mine has the nickname 'Effie', her full name is Euphemia.  My sister's mother-in-law is called Griselda (sounds like one of the ugly sisters to me).

Another friend's mother decided to give her cat a name she thought was classically Victorian, so she called it Rubella.  It was soon renamed Ruby when she found out it wasn't Victorian, but German measles.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:54:28 pm by Major Wolfram Quicksilver » Logged

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
rhylla
Snr. Officer

The Navigator

« Reply #287 on: June 05, 2011, 10:46:06 pm »

my family tree is littered with Alexanders and Jeans on one side and Nellies and Willies on the other (good, solid Scottish names)

my husband did some family tree work on his side and found slightly more interestingly: a Gentilda and an Ethelinda!

but the best name i have ever heard was when a friend told us that one of their old family names was Ezekiel and they were very tempted to attach that to an old family surname: Polecackett and label their oldest sone with it...

- what an awesome name - Ezekiel Polecackett!!!

the fact that their son is the tallest, and gangliest type imaginable fitted so well  Cheesy (think Ichabod Crane from the Legend of Sleepy Hollow cartoon hehe) but maybe not the easiest of names to live down at school!

and congratulations Atterton!
-Rhylla-

Navigator of the Airship Tartan Crow (and the reason why we generally travel in the wrong direction!)
Nephele
Zeppelin Captain

MISTRESS OF NAMES

« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2011, 12:11:29 am »

I use to know someone in school whos nickname was Lettuce. Her actual first name was Leticia. (Not sure if I have the spelling right)

"Lettice" (spelled with an "i" -- not a "u") is an actual name -- derived from Leticia/Laetitia -- and dates as far back as the 13th century in England.

-- Nephele

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:14:31 am by Nephele » Logged
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2011, 02:37:17 am »

There really were some wonderful names in victorian times.

Personally though I would advise against long forenames when naming your children, unless they can easily be shortened if your child wishes. I hated growing up as 'Josephine'- having a name which is taller than you is no fun. Hence, I became very firmly a 'Josie' and it's stuck, perhaps because with an adult height of 5'2" i'll never grow into my name!

However I think ununsual names are great as middle names. I know a family with 3 children, their middle names are Bathsheba, Balthazar and Boez (they also have a cat called Hepzibah). I think this is fantastic.

Someone also mentioned the name Serafina. I know a wonderful lady who is doubly priveledged, not only is she a Serafina, but when she met Phillip Pullman he told her 'I've been waiting my whole life to meet you' because of it (Serafina Pekkala is a character from the His Dark Materials Trilogy).

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Captain Lyerly
RIP/Voyager Beyond
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2011, 03:23:57 am »

In my family we have first names Ballard, Forrest, Stuart (Confederate generals) for males; some females were Irene, Jerusha, Adele, and Gloria.

One of my favorites, however, was a g-g-g-g-g? Grandfather.  Named Agin Agi'li.  He has quite an impressive monument in the cemetery at Talequah, at the far end of the Trail of Tears.

Cheers!

Chas.
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2011, 01:53:09 pm »

My kids are all getting victorian names.... Honora, Cordelia, or Venetia for a girl or Felix, Benedict, or Calvin for a boy.

Jasper and Belladonna used to be on there before the Twilight saga came out... ¬__¬

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Emperor Bob
Snr. Officer

« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2011, 07:22:35 pm »

I love the name "Alastair", but I would be afraid to force a son to go through school with the nickname "Alice," which I feel like someone would shorten it to almost immediately.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that boy's name #310 on the list for 1880 is "Pink"
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30:26 pm »

Actually I just remembered that my grandmother was called Elise, but her mother was called Caroline. I assume she grew up in Victorian times.
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2011, 08:06:43 pm »

I love the name "Alastair", but I would be afraid to force a son to go through school with the nickname "Alice," which I feel like someone would shorten it to almost immediately.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that boy's name #310 on the list for 1880 is "Pink"

Actually, I've met a couple of people with that name and they've always been called Al, or Ali. There is a chance of being called 'alice' in school, but it didn't happen to the people I've met. Possibly because it's not an unusual name around here. (not common, but not rare, either)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2011, 08:17:15 pm »

Rasputin, Vladamir have to be revived.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #296 on: June 06, 2011, 08:33:00 pm »

One of my ancesters was named Pink, and his sibling had an even more unfortunate name, but I can't remember what it was. I have no idea where the printout of the family tree went when we moved.
Captain Lyerly
RIP/Voyager Beyond
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2011, 02:51:06 am »

Rasputin, Vladamir have to be revived.

Rasputin was not a first name, sorry to state.  The Mad Monk's full name was Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin.

Vladimir might be misconstrued as stemming from the unseemly interest in all those sparkly emo vampires.

Z
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2011, 02:59:28 am »

Oh well, I tried Smiley
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #299 on: June 08, 2011, 12:33:05 pm »

It is my (untutored) understanding that names like "Despair" and "Illness" (I cannot remember the Arabic translations) are much-used in some Arabic-speaking desert-regions of North Africa ( "The Maghreb", specifically), because many other common names, such as "Akhbar" ( "Great") are considered to be parental-hubris, and therefore unlucky/blasphemous.

I could easily see this practice spreading out in a more Steampunk Universe, with faster communication and cultural exposure.

"Oi, mate, this is me nipper - Unfortunate Events Jones.."   Smiley

*wipes tea off keyboard and chin*

"...it was here just a minute ago!"  Motto of the lovely Lady Guinevere Meander
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: