The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 02, 2021, 04:02:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian names which ought to be revived.  (Read 61762 times)
Lord Vespertine
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Workshy Fop

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 10:59:49 pm »

I adore the name Ambrose. I am also fond of the names Dorian, Amadeus and Lysander.
Jacob Squirrel
Officer
United States United States

Teller of Good Stories, Maker of Bad Jokes

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 07:32:38 am »

Forenames:Abishag,Feather,Brained,Lettuce,Ham,Uz,Clapham,Despair,Tram,Water,Energetic,Murder & Wonderful.

I'd imagine those name being of the members of one really messed up Sky Pirate ship crew. Murder of course would have to be the name of the first mate (always trying to kill or overthrow the captain (captain keeps him around as a means for keeping himself vigilant (Starscream - Megatron kinda relationship (Parenthesis!))))

(alternatively, Murder being the name of a butler; I'd have all kinds of fun with that (Parenthesis are your friends))

edit: That would be a hella' awesome intro: "Hello, my name is Murder." (only in a bass-less, almost but not quite like a really loud whisper) God that would entertain me to no end, playing it over n' over in me skull... amazing what kind of stories can be crafted from just a name
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 07:37:01 am by Patman_Bluff » Logged

"Madness is never to far away."
     -Jim Carrey
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 12:19:46 pm »

I see your Lysander, my lord Vespertine, and raise you a Demetrius.

Seriously, though, I am particularly fond of Demetrius, along with Ambrose, Zebediah, Theodore, and Henry. There really aren't enough Henries around these days. Also Tristram. But not Tristan.
Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral

You cannot mesmerize me...I'm British!

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 01:57:33 pm »

When I was a young teen I met a lad called Torston Stribling,  I believe he now works at the beeb and has aquired a second barrel to his surname and is now Torston Stribling-Wright.

During a fundraser last year at Broughton Castle I had an interesting conversation with the next Lord Say and Sele.   

"I should probably finish one project before taking on another, but the badger won't fit in the freezer." -Steamblast Mary

http://smaggers.deviantart.com/
http://www.bongofish.co.uk
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 02:53:02 pm »

If I had a son I would be interested in naming him Byron or Dante. As a fan of Frankenstein, if I had two daughters perhaps I could name one Mary and the other Shelley.  Smiley

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2007, 06:16:14 pm »

On the male side, how about the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley (I think I spelled his middle name correctly, it always inerigued me).

Vienna

Buford Mathias, Esq. FRS
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 06:21:25 pm »

Alaric. Sounds normal enough and anyone who has read history might know of the name.

You ma'am are a genius.

If you read this rather long and convoluted statement (and it is worthwhile, believe me) in the end you will find out (apart from the realization that I like overly long sentences but am severely limited by the maximal amount of characters allowed on signatures) that you have just lost
The Game.
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 04:36:41 am »

There are also many Latin-Based Victorian names, most of which have survived, ie Victoria.

http://fugunews.wordpress.com/

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulance and then...explode." --Malcom Reynolds, Serenity
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 05:07:31 am »

I think I recall reading somewhere that Queen Victoria's actual first name was Alexandrina, which she hated, & chose her second name, Victoria, as her monarchial name. 

It is certainly easier to say than the Alexandrinian era, also easier to spell.

Vienna
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2007, 05:32:46 am »

...........And also decreases confusion betweeen Greeks/Macedonians and the Brititsh.
J. Cornelius Metcalfe
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2007, 12:45:20 am »

For the Ladies:
Desiderata,
Olwynn,
Beatrice.

For the Gents:
Hiram,
Clarence,
Havelock.

I also really like the idea of ridiculously long names. Nicholas Barbon, the founder of the London Fire Brigade, shortened his name from; Nicholas Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebones. I know he's not a victorian, but i still think it's a cool name.

Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2007, 03:50:40 am »

Was he by any chance descended from Praise-God Barebones. a member of Parliment during the British Civil War?  The names seem to bear some sort of family resemblance.

Vienna
Lizbt Action
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Noble-born Wire Pirate

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2007, 04:31:55 am »

I think I recall reading somewhere that Queen Victoria's actual first name was Alexandrina, which she hated, & chose her second name, Victoria, as her monarchial name. 

It is certainly easier to say than the Alexandrinian era, also easier to spell.

Vienna

When she was young, people called her by Drina, which I think would be an awesome steampunk name.
Lord Vespertine
Gunner

Workshy Fop

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2007, 07:53:47 am »

For the Gents:
Hiram,
Clarence,
Havelock.
Ah, a mixed bag, here...

I actually live just down the road from an Hiram, who is an old farmer very much of the "Ooh arrr! Ooh arrr! Gerroff moi laaaand!!" school of English agriculture.

I dislike the name Clarence, mainly because I see it as the name of a sex attacker. I can imagine a Clarence, replete with pastel-coloured bow tie and greasy centre parting, watching children playing in the park with an unwholesome smile on his face.  (With apologies to any Clarences in our midst, of course. Simpering deviants that you are. Roll Eyes )

Havelock, however, is utterly glorious.  Grin
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2007, 10:39:40 pm »

I recently remembered finding some pseudo-gothic girls names inspired by Walter Scotts "Ivanhoe" & its many offshoots in ladies magazines of the 1840s.  Inspired by fictional heroines named "Morayma, Clemira, Orinda, Zemira, Glaphyra (that sounds like a disease to me), & Adelgitha", girls were named Arzelia, Ermina, Rejessa, Markina, Clarimond, & Diademia.  The author got these names from tombstones of the time.  Some don't really really sound that bad, but the author commented on the embarrasment factor of being stuck with a formerly fashion faddish name for the rest of their lives.

Vienna
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 07:28:48 pm »

Which is why you need to make sure to give them bog-standard middle names they can fall back on just in case.
batty
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2007, 07:34:27 pm »

Male: Volney, Harlan, Lucious, Murray,
Female: pretty much any flower you can think of, Bertha, Barbara, Irene, Lula
(these were/are real names of relatives)
I've been using Mindel Hartcourt in a comic set in 1905, it just came to me one day in class being bored.
Apparently Mindel's Hebrew equivalent is Miriam (which can be a boy or girl's name) meaning "bitter sea" and is a name given to the sister of Moses in the Torah after they crossed the red sea.

skribb
Officer
American Samoa American Samoa

The Antithesis of Normal

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 10:26:38 pm »

Lewis Carroll's father was named Skeffington. I like that name.

But all the clocks in the city,
Began to whirr and chime.
O, let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time!
Radio Saturday
Officer

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 07:04:12 pm »

Jupiter. This is actually on some early-American documents. (Which, okay, is before the usual steampunk timeframe, but it could be a family name!)

We have both Comforts and Joys in my family, as well as a Napoleon.

Consuelo is a good one.

Let's see... Edgar, Millicent, Frevisse (actually Medieval and French), Achille, Théophile, Ferdinand (always sounds like it should have "the Great" or be prefaced by "the remarkable" or "the outstanding," therefore making it awesome), Spider (legit Irish name), Peregrine (legit English name, pre-Lord of the Rings), Morleena, Malvéna, Ludivine (actually, those last two are modern French names but I like them) and Aurelian. And I know it's not actually a people-name, but I have a thing for Claret. As a name.

OBSCURE
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2190763/1/">Anapura</a>
<a href="http://www.radiosaturday.com">Radio Saturday Press</a>
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2007, 12:25:23 am »

Female: pretty much any flower you can think of, Bertha, Barbara, Irene, Lula

Corpse plant?
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2007, 12:33:48 am »

I remember hearing of an American Puritan family that named it's daughters Faith, Hope, & Charity.

Vienna
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2007, 12:35:58 am »

Hmm, thinking of "corpse plant", how about the middle name of the fictional detective Lord Peter Wimsey....it was Death.  Was that ever really used?

Vienna
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2007, 12:36:47 am »

I remember hearing of an American Puritan family that named it's daughters Faith, Hope, & Charity.

Vienna

That wasn't unusual - Faith and Hope are still widely used, Charity seems to have become less common.
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2007, 12:44:49 am »

If I ever have a son, his middle name will be Death, too. His first name would be zsjdnfguioawintn, pronounced "Joe". He's gonna hate me. Grin
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2007, 11:48:30 pm »

I have 2 from polar expeditions:

Francis Rawden Moira Crozier-Captain of the HMS Terror on the Franklin Expediton

Appsley Cherry-Garrard-Scientist on Scotts last expedition

Vienna
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: