The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 02, 2021, 11:48:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian names which ought to be revived.  (Read 61758 times)
Lady Anne
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Director of jerry-rigging.

« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2009, 05:18:34 pm »

I believe the names Shannon, Hillary, Ashley and Lindsey were all originally male names, but they have somehow become female names.  Pity it doesn't work the other way around, eh?

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.
Nex
Snr. Officer
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2009, 06:24:23 pm »

I used to know a guy named Lindsey, and Ash from evil dead would be a widely known, in certain circles at least, male use of Ashley.
They are very rare though you're right.

My forename is Irish and goes back to at least the 8th Century so it does get a few raised eyebrows but people usually know one or two of the more almost famous people with it. Smiley

CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #227 on: January 18, 2009, 03:11:48 am »

And besides, it is a parent's prerogative to bestow potentially humiliating names upon his or her children.  Grin
A Boy Named Sue.

My name is fairly Victorian, in that everyone apart from my parents stopped calling their daughters it during the last century. I've met one or two Stephania's (rather than Stefania's) over the years, but none of them ever considered shortening it to "Phania". People have difficulty pronouncing it (unless they're Italian, Greek, or Russian), and most tend to go, "Oh...is it Irish?" for some reason when I correct them. I suppose the unpopularity might be something to do with it being a toxonomical name for a fly. I, for one, think it's pretty, and this way I don't get called "Steph".

Next on my list of names:
Algernon
Vivian (for a boy)
Eleanor
Elliott (this is my preferred spelling)
Imogen
Arkadi
Jethro
Afanasy

Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #228 on: January 18, 2009, 03:26:41 am »

My name is fairly Victorian, in that everyone apart from my parents stopped calling their daughters it during the last century. I've met one or two Stephania's (rather than Stefania's) over the years, but none of them ever considered shortening it to "Phania". People have difficulty pronouncing it (unless they're Italian, Greek, or Russian), and most tend to go, "Oh...is it Irish?" for some reason when I correct them.

Looking at how it's spelled I'd pronounce it Stefania (as in fan, rather than, say, Stefarnia or Stefainia, and the Ste as in step not steep). But given the Irish comment - do you pronounce it Stevania? Not that I'm aware of ph being pronounced v in Irish, but bh (as in Siobhan) is.

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
Mr. Fenn
Snr. Officer

Airship Mechanic and Gremlin Exterminator

« Reply #229 on: January 18, 2009, 11:54:11 am »

I believe the names Shannon, Hillary, Ashley and Lindsey were all originally male names, but they have somehow become female names.  Pity it doesn't work the other way around, eh?
My younger brother's name is Shannon.

<My Webcomic
MadmanMachine
Deck Hand

« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2009, 01:18:08 pm »

Understanding that certain celebrity children will most likely strike back at their parents for giving them such names as "Moxy Crimefighter" or "Harley Quinn", not to mention growing up with an odd name myself, I have decided not to give my children any bizarre forenames and instead will give them a plethora of middle names for their use, should they want to use them at some time in their future.
Nex
Snr. Officer
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #231 on: January 18, 2009, 06:09:58 pm »

Ach I don't think I'd be that mean, but Harleen Quinzell whatever wouldn't be TOO bad a name to give a girl.

Growing up with a name that isn't normal can suck pretty badly, but now I'm older most of the people my age either don't care or think it's cool, though I do still get "yeah and what's your real name" a lot. Cheesy
Mlle A. Aurantia
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2009, 07:36:23 am »

I can't really agree. I grew up with a name so average that there's at least three of me in any set of files. The doctor's offices never pull the right file, and I get asked how I lost 200lbs in one year. I nearly lost $400 this week when my bank deposited my paycheck into the wrong account, but it had my name. I'm getting it changed due to marriage this May, but I'm considering taking my screen name as my legal. Does "Madam Angela Argiope Aurantia-Kahl" sound alright to you? It will sound a little odd to any arachnologist, certainly, but I don't think there are many people who will get it.

Oh, dear. I just read the initials: "A.A.A-K." I like it.
Luella Dobson
Snr. Officer

The Chicago Steampixie

misshistory
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2009, 12:22:26 am »

Lauren is one of those names too, I believe. drat. ):

I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2009, 06:14:10 am »

Ashley is still used as a boys name over here.

I want a son. And he will be called Rhiddian. And I will have a Basset Hound called Ambrose. I do like non-biblical names.

My name is relatively common, being Christopher, but I like it, as it has more than two syllables. Kind of wish it had been a bit stranger though...  And it is a Christian name, even though I am not Christian. Still, my parents weren't that adventurous. Does 'Christopher Duffill' make for a good film director name? Of course I could quote my full name of Christopher Davd Wallace Duffill, but the David part is still boring. (My Father's name, no offense to anyone called David).

I find it sill when I see girls with names like 'Domani' and once I saw a 'Versatchi'. Goodness, what do these people get up to, with their ridiculous names. I mean even a George would make a change (for a boy I mean). Mind you if I had been born a girl I would have been called Francesca (ugh!). I was almost called Thomas, but Thomas the Tank Engine was rather prevalent at the time, so my mum changed her mind. I prefer being called Christopher personally.
Arabella Granger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2009, 01:32:39 am »

I'm rather fond of my name, although I don't go by it very often--I mostly just go by Ari. (Pronounced AIR-y not AHH-ry, thank you.) Other names I like include Tabitha, Adeline (less well-known than Adelaide but just as pretty), Sybille (yes, like Trelawney, but spelled different), Ambrose, Patrick (family name, that), Josephine, Violet, and Thomas.

Traditional Irish or Welsh names are also very fun, whimsical, and charming, although children might grow tired of always correcting the pronounciation. My favorites are probably Rhiannon, Mairead--pronounced Mah-RAY-ad-- and Findabhair--pronounced like Finn-ah-veer. It's the Irish Gaelic version of Guinevere, from what I can gather.

"I will blaze until I find my time and place
I will be fearless!
Surrendering modesty and grace.
I will not disappear without a trace...
I'll shout and start a riot!
Be anything but quiet...
Christopher Columbus--I'll be astonishing
Astonishing...
Astonishing....at last!"
Nex
Snr. Officer
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2009, 02:26:02 am »

although children might grow tired of always correcting the pronounciation.

I assure you those instances always made a delightful change from other kids simply slagging me off I never get tired of the old gem of "yeah and what's your real name?" though. Cheesy

My first names Fergal by the way, it's Irish Gaelic, but luckily it does sound pretty much like it's written so it doesn't often get said wrong, and my sisters got a Scottish Gaelic name...she's less lucky on the mistake front as the end of her name is said nothing like it's writen.  Wink
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #237 on: February 12, 2009, 11:43:02 pm »

I saw a name on an office today, which I don´t know if it is victorian or just foreign, but it sounded interesting. It was Audresius.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Captain Lyerly
RIP/Voyager Beyond
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2009, 05:18:08 pm »

I love the older names - but extreme care and thought must go into the naming of a child.

Recent study: shows some of the problems with it.  Kids can get away with a "weird" middle name, but something too unusual - even "Algernon" shortened to Al could be problematic, as some teachers insist on reading out the whole first name - and kids can be cruel.  I had an uncommon- "unpopular" in the words of the study - first name, and it did cause problems for me in school.

But for a middle name - Abner, Forrest, Jerusha (g-g-grandmother's name), Zeboim (great-uncle), Ballard, Brainerd - I know two Brainerds... some great names out there.

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2009, 05:29:50 pm »

I love the older names - but extreme care and thought must go into the naming of a child.

Recent study: shows some of the problems with it.  Kids can get away with a "weird" middle name, but something too unusual - even "Algernon" shortened to Al could be problematic, as some teachers insist on reading out the whole first name - and kids can be cruel.  I had an uncommon- "unpopular" in the words of the study - first name, and it did cause problems for me in school.

But for a middle name - Abner, Forrest, Jerusha (g-g-grandmother's name), Zeboim (great-uncle), Ballard, Brainerd - I know two Brainerds... some great names out there.

Chas.

Yes, having grow up as a "Chuck" I can attest that it rhymes with all too many unpleasant words.

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2009, 06:24:13 pm »

I had a great-uncle named "Erastus."

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
A.Felix
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2009, 07:42:52 pm »

Ellard, Glyda/Gleda and Lynette are some.

Some of these names you all have posted are quite...interesting. They makee me hungry, to say the least.

Quote from: A.Felix
Sometimes I'm glad you're all the way over there.<br />Other times, I'm lonely.
Also, I love the way you call me 'kid'. Just so you know.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2009, 01:09:17 am »

On the memmorial at the local Legion, there's a Lewthwaite. Quite the name, that. Seems like it should come with a bit of pomp and ceremony just as a matter of course. I believe Tom Hanks character in The Ladykillers had that name.

Edit: Uppon further investigation, it was such: Goldthwait Higginson Dorr, Ph.D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:14:41 am by Sean Patrick O-Byrne » Logged

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2009, 03:52:36 pm »

An Aspidistra perhaps?

I'm now thinking of Uncle in The Adventure Game

Gronda Gronda
karoshi
Snr. Officer

« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2009, 02:11:56 pm »

I'm now thinking of Uncle in The Adventure Game

Gronda Gronda

eep!

you have no idea how many of my childhood nightmares involved slightly vibrating potted plants and invisible ITN newsreader eating vortices  Shocked  Grin

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2009, 02:20:14 pm »

In my genealogical research I've run across a multitude of now-obsolete names. Some of them are IMHO best left that way.

A favorite pair of examples: Tryphosa and Tryphena. They sound to me like either (a) parasitic tropical diseases or (b) obscure and risky surgical procedures.

"Mrs Katz is suffering from an advanced case of Tryphosa, so we are going to try performing a Tryphena on her. After all, it couldn't make things any worse."

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
suriehl
Officer

« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2009, 10:32:23 pm »

I was interested in naming my second daughter Eleanor.  I was vetoed and now have a daughter with the more modern sounding name of Ella.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2009, 11:29:11 pm »

You didn´t sneak in a middle name of Nor?
Rose Streiffe
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2009, 12:13:39 am »

My mother named me "Rose" for the old-fashionedness of it.  She has a bit of a Victorian fetish.

As do we all.
Archillus Faid
Officer

« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2009, 01:24:04 am »

I guess my heirs would hate me for the names of my choice I would give them. I guess my wife would never allow me to do that.

Victorius Dante Amaroq Francis Abercrombie
Lucius Theodorius Cane Isaac Havok
Anthony Tristan Edward Dobius Skyven
Richard Yurius Agamemnon Doyle Octavious
Victoria Seraphine Leandra Catherine Verethragna
Josephine Elizabeth Anastasia Zoe Vespertine

I just like the idea of at least three names so that they could choose one of them as the main name. Well, to make it easy in school the first name would be quite normal.

I also like the names Gilgamesh, Atlas, Daria, Geth, Mandooza, Constantine, Anglicus, Vadislav, Nikola(i), Vincent, Lilith, Rasputin, Desmedona and of course Archillus Faid Grin
In a series of daughters I would like to name them Amber, Scarlet, Violet, Jade - hehe.

Man, I wish my parents would have given me some sophisticated names. I don't like my present name. Maybe I can change it one day.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:55:29 pm by Archillus Faid » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: