The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 02, 2021, 11:11:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian names which ought to be revived.  (Read 61756 times)
Orlando
« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2008, 05:35:19 am »

Not quite as stylish as the other names in this thread is my middle Name: Edward.
Together with a fantasy characters last name, it gives quite a nice steampunkish name i think. Edward H. Jenkins. That's why i choose it to be my steampunk name. I like the sound of it  Cool

Welcome to the Brass Goggles forum Mr Jenkins.
Want to hear on old joke?

What do you call a man with a wooden head?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Orlando.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:38:04 am by Orlando » Logged
Edward H. Jenkins
« Reply #201 on: June 05, 2008, 05:48:44 am »

I am highly amused  Grin
Derranged-Gadgeteer
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Only going to live twice

« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2008, 06:26:19 am »

I like the name Rupert, I'm actually going by that name through my time in college.  It sounds more anacronistic than Rob, Robbie, Bob, Bobbie, or, heaven forbid, my real given name!  (Besides, I just discovered that there's another freshman enrolling this coming year who shares both my first and last name!!  I must set myself apart!)

Updated as often as practical.  Worth a visit.
Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Freelance Hero, and Beau Sabreur.

« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2008, 12:25:06 pm »

Edward Woodward. It's an interesting name: sounds like a fart in the bath Grin.

"What do we do? You're asking me 'what do we do'? We do what we always do....We CHARGE, by thunder!" Captain Haephestus Burnside, of the "Reckless Abandon", shortly before a boarding action.

"You rampallian! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe!" Henry IV, Act II Scene I, WS.
Lady Anne
Snr. Officer

Director of jerry-rigging.

« Reply #204 on: June 06, 2008, 03:18:02 am »

I'm afraid I don't get the Edward Woodward joke...

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2008, 04:44:26 am »

I suspect you must say it out loud, with a thick British accent (Eton? North Midlands? Northish, I think, anyway).

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Freelance Hero, and Beau Sabreur.

« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2008, 12:00:58 pm »

Just say it very quickly. And it wasn't me who said it, in any case. It was an actor called Sir John Gielgud, I believe. You may remember Mr Woodward as the man who played Tom Weaver in 2007's Hot Fuzz.
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2008, 11:48:51 pm »

And the older members may remember him as The Equaliser, and the policeman in the original Wickerman

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #208 on: June 07, 2008, 12:10:46 am »

...A classmate of mine has it for a middle name. She claims it was either her grandmother's or great-grandmother's.

It seems a lot of these names survive as middle names.

Most of these sound fairly normal to me...names in my family include such gems as Mortimer and Cornelius...my own isn't bad either in this vein (though I'll respectfully apologize for not posting it  Cheesy ).  And these people are still among the living, not that old either.  No, no one in the family is trying to be steampunk (though as my hundred-year-old granny enters the Digital Age, she comes close with no effort), except maybe one cousin of mine.  They've just got the names for it.

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
Miimno
Snr. Officer
Syrian Arab Republic Syrian Arab Republic

Causality by any other name...

« Reply #209 on: August 01, 2008, 01:47:03 am »

I am all for any name that involves a lot of spitting  -- in fact, I shall stand behind you.

"On the way...difficulties and horrors, and extraordinary and wonderful things..." كتاب ألف ليلة وليلة
Order of the Brazen Dawn, charter member
Fate or Free Will survived the first 7 pages!
Professor Lidenbrock
Zeppelin Captain

Semper Cedentia Retro

« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2008, 07:54:48 am »

And the older members may remember him as The Equaliser, and the policeman in the original Wickerman
And the Really old amongst us remember him as Callan.

"Through the ruins of a city stalked the ruin of a man."
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2008, 11:10:50 pm »

Good grief - Callan had completely slipped my mind (not that I was even around for all but the last two years of the series).

Wasn't there similar thoughts that The Equaliser was Callan, in the same way that The Prisoner was John Drake (Danger Man)?
Professor Lidenbrock
Zeppelin Captain

Semper Cedentia Retro

« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2008, 11:23:36 pm »

Good grief - Callan had completely slipped my mind (not that I was even around for all but the last two years of the series).

Wasn't there similar thoughts that The Equaliser was Callan, in the same way that The Prisoner was John Drake (Danger Man)?
There has indeed been speculation to that effect. It is actually very ambiguous. If one chose to interpret The Equaliser as a sequel it does lend itself to that interpretation. Conversely if one were to interpret it as unconnected to the previous programme, again the evidence supports the hypothesis.
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2008, 01:33:33 am »

My name is Thomas William Taylor the Third
and i intend to name my first Son Thomas William Taylor the fourth calling him Q for short (quad)

And Dante Byron would be a fantastic name as well
and if  you read colfer (whose first name is Eoin, thats unique) , Artemis is a cool name

Ive got a friend who clames he knows a Mary Etta Green Pikle

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:26:47 pm by T.Taylor the Third » Logged

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2008, 02:07:37 am »

Theophilus

as in Theophilus Shepstone [imperial despoilerof Africa?]

I also like my Great Aunts long departed brother

Ralph,  pronounced Rarf, not Raif apparently.

Miimno
Snr. Officer
Syrian Arab Republic Syrian Arab Republic

Causality by any other name...

« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2008, 02:45:12 am »

Theophilus

Theophilus! Hurrah.

Which immediately reminds my of my personal favorite (for a variety of reasons):  Thelonious
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2009, 07:29:34 am »

I must get this out of my brain before it eats a hole in it, a name;

Carbon Filament.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Mlle A. Aurantia
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2009, 08:51:33 am »

Theophilus

Theophilus! Hurrah.

Which immediately reminds my of my personal favorite (for a variety of reasons):  Thelonious
I, being a Trekkie, recognise that one. Howabout "Tiberius," though? Did I miss someone giving it?

I do like "Phineas," and had a character named "Desdemona" once. Shakespearean names rarely go wrong. "Ophelia," anyone?

In reality, my husband and I are considering reproduction at some point, and are planning "Victor" for a boy and "Agatha" for a girl. I'm hoping for a "Zelpha" in there somewhere. It's a family name, and I think it's the most perfect Steampunkish name in the world.
Geisterlibrarian
Gunner

« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2009, 07:29:38 pm »

Looking through the top 500 of the US Social Security Census in 1880 and 1900, I'm struck by how many of these names are in the upswing again, or never really went out of style to begin with.  Notable examples being Susie/Susan from the 1880s list (both my mother's name, and the name of a 2 month-old child I have in my storytimes) or Amanda, which is fairly common in my generation (late 20s) and is near the top of the 1900s list.

I'm also highly amused by such names as Pinkie, Dollie, and Birdie: makes me feel less bad for all the Barbies or Tawnys, Gigis or what-have-yous out there - embarrassing child-girl names have been around for a long time.
The other shocks are the really un-PC names (for the US, now anyway) like Mayme or Mamsie. 

My favorite name so far is Sophronia, shortened to Phronsie, because I remember it from a book I read as a child - the Five Little Peppers.  I don't recall any other names other than Polly and Benji (I think short for Benjamin) but I do remember them being nice names.

And as far as wanting 'whole' names, not nicknames, the 1800 list at least has TONS (metric) of given names that we would consider nicknames - Nellie, Polly, Effie, Jennie - even Lizzie! (in many many permutations.  I'm another Liz/Lizzie/Lisbeth but not 'Elizabeth' lover.)

The website I'm on is  http://www.socialsecurity.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi which someone linked to earlier, but it's so much fun to scroll through!  I'm an onomastophile (isn't that a cool word!) - I love studying and learning about names.  It's one of those weird things.

Geisterlibrarian
Gunner

« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2009, 07:37:17 pm »

ps - also the Spastic Onomastic blog and related links are quite nice, and often (as now - which is why it counts as Steampunk!) has relevant historic naming adventures.  Currently the story of an unfortunate girl in 1882.  The proud father, Mr Hogg, in honor of his own father's poetic attempts (featuring heroines named Ima and Leila) chose... poorly.  It's an interesting story, and has the benefits of being (at least as far as can be determined) true!

Apologies in advance for my non-linking technical failure.   Embarrassed

http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/blog.html

lady sakara
Snr. Officer

Empress of the 9th Parallel

« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2009, 08:53:39 pm »

my grans name was Hilda and her middle name which has become one of mine is Louisa, which i adore.
Ill have to try and find out the names of her 10 sisters....yep 10...and one brother.

ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2009, 09:39:58 pm »

Anyone naming a child Ophelia must make absolutely sure that she can swim.

Some of my favourites would have to be
Male: Anything with the Aethel- or Ed- prefix (Aethelwald, Edwin), Robert, Stephen, Franklin, Lauren, Agamemnon, Rupric, Ketterie, Fares, Greenthorn
Female: Ealdgyth, Eadhyth, Miranda, Laudanda, Desiree, Beatrix, Felicity, Swaantje, Mareike, Aleydis, Isobel, Levity, Alana, Zipporah, Marian

(Mostly taken from the back of my family Bible)

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2009, 09:40:27 pm »

I would like to nominate two good Victorian names:
Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and Capability Brown.

On the fictional side, Crawford Tillinghast needs a mention, I think.
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2009, 12:50:55 am »

Miss Holmes, I'm not sure your're son Lauren would appreciate that name.

http://fugunews.wordpress.com/

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulance and then...explode." --Malcom Reynolds, Serenity
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2009, 01:40:11 am »

It was originally a male name, and I do have a distant cousin (male) who was either blessed or cursed with it.
And besides, it is a parent's prerogative to bestow potentially humiliating names upon his or her children.  Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: