The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 02, 2021, 04:46:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian names which ought to be revived.  (Read 61763 times)
LizPf
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2008, 11:14:56 pm »

Nicknames ...

As you have doubtless noticed, I use a moniker that is commonly a nickname. Indeed, my parents gave me the non-nickname version of the name.

However, as I grew to maturity, I associated the name Elizabeth with frail, pale women, generally of a poetical bent, and rather helpless. [Stereotype, I know.] I was a thin child, and fair of complexion, but I was always more at home in a wood shop than a copy book, and would never describe myself as helpless.

To put it simply, the name my parents gave me does not fit.

Fortunately, "Elizabeth" is a name with a plethora of nicknames. Betty? Too mid-century. Beth? Like Elizabeth, only frailer. Liz? Overblown movie stars aside, that nickname suits me. Since coming across that name as a young child, I have been Liz ever since, responding to nothing else.

And the Victorians had their nicknames too: Phronsie, Fanny, Nell, Nettie ...
MonsieurBaggyTrousers
Gunner
United States United States

Conceiver of the Ill-Conceived

« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2008, 03:00:07 pm »

If I may weigh in, I've always held Athenasius to be a good name, although I'm also quite fond of Atticus.

I'm a fag, I'm a Jew, how do you do?
That's Mr. Anarchist to you!
You think your scene's dead?
 Mine got killed by some dimwit's triumph of the will!
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2008, 08:17:02 pm »

If I may weigh in, I've always held Athenasius to be a good name, although I'm also quite fond of Atticus.

Are you a member of the Athanasius Kircher society?

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2008, 10:20:07 pm »

OH, i simply adore the name Atticus. I also love the character Atticus Finch, but that's besides the point. There's also the name Abbot, which is somewhat similar to Atticus, though not nearly as awesome. If i were to name my children old, weird names, Atticus would definately be on the top of my list.

MonsieurBaggyTrousers
Gunner

« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2008, 11:21:09 pm »

Good to hear someone else has heard of him! Tragically, madam, I can claim no membership to any such group, as societies, leagues, and the like tend to eat into what I am in the habit of referring to as my "creative loafing" time. However, I find the fellow quite interesting, and find the sheer bally eclecticism he exhibited fascinating! 
Buford Mathias, Esq. FRS
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2008, 11:29:09 pm »

Good to hear someone else has heard of him!

On this board it would probably be hard to find a person who hasn't heard of him.

If you read this rather long and convoluted statement (and it is worthwhile, believe me) in the end you will find out (apart from the realization that I like overly long sentences but am severely limited by the maximal amount of characters allowed on signatures) that you have just lost
The Game.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2008, 03:58:18 am »

Well *a* nickname is okay, but it is the official ones like Bill that I find odd.

I BEG your pardon, Sir!

Kindly make arrangements for your second to confer with mine at the earliest convenience.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:01:59 am by OldProfessorBear » Logged

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2008, 04:07:57 am »

My family tree is notably boring with respect to names, though there are a few interesting ones, such as Eli, Martha Parthenia, Benza, Ethel  ...

On my wife's side there are Alva, Sumner, Myles, Amelia and Adelia (twins), among others.

I've also come across (though I would not recommend them for naming children) Tryphena and Tryphosa.

Keziah is interesting. So is Sukey, which is short for ... hm, something ...

Tanvi_Sunil
Deck Hand

ToastandTeapunk!

« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2008, 08:54:18 am »

My family tree is notably boring with respect to names, though there are a few interesting ones, such as Eli, Martha Parthenia, Benza, Ethel  ...

On my wife's side there are Alva, Sumner, Myles, Amelia and Adelia (twins), among others.

I've also come across (though I would not recommend them for naming children) Tryphena and Tryphosa.

Keziah is interesting. So is Sukey, which is short for ... hm, something ...

Those are all pretty interesting!!

There are barely such things as "normal" names on my side of the family.

My grandparents (mothers side) have fairly common Spanish names. Celia and Guillermo (which is William in Spanish).
They named some of their children Nelly, Jr (Guillermo jr. of course) and my mother's name is Evelyn (which kinda reminds me of Victorian/edwardian names).

My father is Victor, he has a sister named Candy and a sister in law named Cookie...
My brother is Victor Pablo (paul) and I am Jasmine Leilani...our last names are Catala (Say that Five times fast!).

My boyfriend on the other hand and his family all have names like Jeffery (my boy), Amanda, Robert and June.
But his grandfather who he looked up to was named Norman (pretty steamy name eh?).
So if we have a son we will name him (get this) Seamus Norman Kyle.
Did I mention that his last name is Kyle! Not as exotic but much easier to pronounce for people than Catala!

If I have a girl she will have an even more unique name, I'm not one for common names.
I'm starting to love these Victorian names! Coral still makes me smile (lettuce even more!)
But I'm leaning towards Katara (yes, like from Avatar), Nadian (secret of blue water reminds me of the Steampunk world!) and maybe even Tanvi!

"I'm a boy, I SWEAR!"
-Raj Sunil

"Bread and Water can so easily be Toast and Tea..."
-Unknown
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2008, 11:33:55 am »

I've seen Elizabeth broken down into so many shortenings: Liz, Lizzie, Ebe, Libby, Beth

I knew a guy whose last name is Mathias. It is a cool name.

I recently found out my real name, Ryan, derives from the original Irish/gaelic spelling of Riaghan. How sweet is that? It means 'Little King' or 'kingly', and according to some sites 'water'. Thus, I'm using Water in my current screen name, taking Riaghan and changed it for some flare [basically so it would sound good with Meridian, which I really like as a last name].
Ri = King with -an being the diminuitive suffix, so yes it would be Little King. It's pronounced Rye-vawn I believe. Never heard it spoken myself.

I've always like the old Irish spelling of names for boys. My father was Michael Patrick [Surname] and I'm C. Shawn Patrick [Surname] so my son, should I be lucky enough to have one will be [Open to discussion] Padraig [Surname]. Fearghas, or for simplicity, Fergus is in the running perhaps. For girls I also enjoy names like Sinead (Shin-ayd) or Moira, but I also like some of the eastern european or russian names, as well as scandinavian.

Family tree wise, I have Valerie, Cheryl, Lisa, Sara, Mary and... Grace. Also, Michael, Shawn, Brian (whose middle name is John) and, I think a Henry. My knowledge of my family tree is somewhat weak because someone slept with someone else and nobody talked about it. -Extremely- frustrating to us a ways down the line.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
MonsieurBaggyTrousers
Gunner

« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2008, 12:50:41 pm »

I've a "Gaylord" in my family, as well as several generations of "Egberts," all on my mother's side. (You'd think the first Egbert would have the sense not to propagate the humiliation by sharing it with his son.) On my dad's side, they're nothing but Germans, with standard Prussian names (Wilhelm, Fritz, Walter, &c.)
Ben Franklin's Electric Kite
Zeppelin Captain

Rex Libris

« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2008, 11:26:05 pm »

Fergus is in the running perhaps.

I like to imagine three enormous scotsmen named Fergus, Angus and Grievous.
SoCalian
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2008, 05:49:14 am »

When/if I ever have a son, I am determined to name him Disraeli.
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2008, 06:25:25 am »

When/if I ever have a son, I am determined to name him Disraeli.
I've noticed a steadily growing "surname as first name" trend. I guess this is our version.

If I had a daughter, I would name her Fatima.

http://fugunews.wordpress.com/

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulance and then...explode." --Malcom Reynolds, Serenity
Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Freelance Hero, and Beau Sabreur.

« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2008, 12:04:29 pm »

Fergus is in the running perhaps.

I like to imagine three enormous scotsmen named Fergus, Angus and Grievous.

Only if the family name is Bodily-Harmsworth.

"What do we do? You're asking me 'what do we do'? We do what we always do....We CHARGE, by thunder!" Captain Haephestus Burnside, of the "Reckless Abandon", shortly before a boarding action.

"You rampallian! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe!" Henry IV, Act II Scene I, WS.
Zastrozzi
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2008, 02:55:08 pm »

My father's family all have the name 'Lionel' somewhere in their name.  Usually as a middle name, as most of them dislike it.

My stepfather's middle name was 'Amyan' (pron. Ay-mee-an), which I've always rather liked.
Tanvi_Sunil
Deck Hand

ToastandTeapunk!

« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2008, 03:22:34 am »

My father's family all have the name 'Lionel' somewhere in their name.  Usually as a middle name, as most of them dislike it.

My stepfather's middle name was 'Amyan' (pron. Ay-mee-an), which I've always rather liked.

Never heard of Amyan, I like it too.
DeseretRose
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2008, 09:34:12 pm »

We stole an Italian name for our daughter,  Alessandra.  Since she's still just a toddler, though, she answers to Allie.   My husband and I can't come to an agreement on boy's names, though, so if we ever have one, we're in trouble.   
Lady Anne
Snr. Officer

Director of jerry-rigging.

« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2008, 11:17:28 pm »

My parents were thinking of naming me Ariadne (so really the Orion and Athena thing isn't so far off) but decided instead on a more mundane name.  I should use Ariadne as a character name or something.

How about Lucien, Lottie, or Latimer?  Too many of my characters have L names...

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.
DK Gibson
Gunner

« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2008, 06:37:12 am »

The USA Social Security Administration has compiled the top names in the US since 1880 from the census  files here http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/babynames/.
Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2008, 08:50:11 pm »

hahah i cannot believe the name Abigail is on the top 5 girl's names for this year. I never thought that name would come back in style. Or hoped, rather.

but upon looking at that list for 1880, i saw names such as Julius, Rufus, Alonzo, Roscoe, and Silas. I only really looked at the boy's names, obviously. But i really like Julius and Silas. I also saw Ernest on there, which i cannot believe i forgot, since it's my father's middle name and his cousin's first name.
MonsieurBaggyTrousers
Gunner

« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2008, 08:56:58 pm »

The name "Napoleon" was at number 297 in 1887. Now THAT'S pretty cool.

"This is our little Napoleon. We have big... monumental... hopes for him."
Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2008, 09:12:48 pm »

hahaha, that is indeed awesome, monsieur. there was also the name Moses on the list...i can't imagine naming my son Moses. every time i called him in for dinner, i'd set a bush on fire and use an empty paper towel roll to call "Mooosseeess" in the deepest, Godliest voice i could muster.
Lady Anne
Snr. Officer

Director of jerry-rigging.

« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2008, 10:10:37 pm »

but upon looking at that list for 1880, i saw names such as Julius, Rufus, Alonzo, Roscoe, and Silas.

Ah, but Roscoe is such a productive name, no?
Radio Saturday
Officer

« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2008, 10:21:36 pm »

The name "Napoleon" was at number 297 in 1887. Now THAT'S pretty cool.

"This is our little Napoleon. We have big... monumental... hopes for him."

There's a Napoleon Comfort in my family, and my younger sister's middle names are "Magdalena Comfort." We have a friend who calls her "Comfy." Grin

OBSCURE
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2190763/1/">Anapura</a>
<a href="http://www.radiosaturday.com">Radio Saturday Press</a>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: