The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 02, 2021, 11:33:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian names which ought to be revived.  (Read 61757 times)
LizPf
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2008, 07:20:04 pm »

I'll stick with the simple, Scientific Romance Afficianado's Assemblage

Lady Anne
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Director of jerry-rigging.

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2008, 11:08:48 pm »

I think it is obvious that the only really proper Victorian man's name is Earnest, even if it's Algernon.
Oh fantastic! Excellent reference!

If I have a son I plan to call him Isaac.
Please, no. My real name's Isaac (thank you for spelling it correctly and not Issac or even worse Issiac) and every time someone withing hearing distance says "this is a..." or "there is a..." I always think they're saying my name.

God, I nave that same problem when people say "exactly". I always think they're saying my name, Zach. So, to this, I generally respond with: "ex-what-ly?"

I think this is a very common problem.  My name is actually Annie, and I've always had that mental someone's-talking-to-me reaction when the word "any" is used by people with a certain accent they seem to have around here.  I suppose it would be worse if I was Anne, though.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.
Silvia Lovett
Gunner

Gypsy Colored Love

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2008, 11:17:32 pm »

.... i'm out of names ..... >.>

Broken hearts change the mind, notice that they'er killing mine.
Luella Dobson
Snr. Officer

The Chicago Steampixie

misshistory
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2008, 01:54:40 am »

My sister's boyfriend wants to name a kid of his Fuck.

and Freakazoid.

He's also thought of Captain Mussels.

nobody said he was bright.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sod Off Baldrick?

...wut? lol, no seriously, I'm confused. XD

I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means
Buford Mathias, Esq. FRS
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

That's becauses you're American.   Grin
Baldrick is a charactaer in the hilarious British TV series Blackadder. IIRC in one episode he thinks his first name might be "Sod Off" since that's what was usually said to him in his childhood.

If you read this rather long and convoluted statement (and it is worthwhile, believe me) in the end you will find out (apart from the realization that I like overly long sentences but am severely limited by the maximal amount of characters allowed on signatures) that you have just lost
The Game.
Ben Franklin's Electric Kite
Zeppelin Captain

Rex Libris

« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2008, 03:35:37 am »

"Hello. My name is Baldrick."
"Yes. We know. Sod Off Baldrick."
Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2008, 10:44:32 pm »

awww....poor fellow....

CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2008, 10:55:25 pm »

If you have not seen (at least) the original Blackadder series, please do so - a Comedy Masterpiece Smiley

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Freelance Hero, and Beau Sabreur.

« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2008, 11:17:34 pm »

"Hello. My name is Baldrick."
"Yes. We know. Sod Off Baldrick."

"One last question, Mr Blackadder. What does the 'S' in Mr Baldrick's name stand for?"
"Sod off."
"Very well. None of my business, I suppose."

"What do we do? You're asking me 'what do we do'? We do what we always do....We CHARGE, by thunder!" Captain Haephestus Burnside, of the "Reckless Abandon", shortly before a boarding action.

"You rampallian! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe!" Henry IV, Act II Scene I, WS.
Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2008, 04:03:02 pm »

::chuckles::

that does sound quite entertaining =)
Ella Kremper
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Retro-Tech Dystopiac

« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2008, 04:05:24 pm »

Especially how in the WW1 series he is credited as 'Private S. Baldrick'.

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.
Malati_Sunil
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2008, 07:03:03 am »

Coral and Lemon
Though Lettuce still makes me giggle
(did you know Lettuce is a mild aphrodisiac? The Egptians knew!)

My brother and father (funny enough) are both Victor!

I was supposed to be Victoria, but my parents fell in love with Jasmine instead.

If we have a boy, we plan on naming him Seamus. If it's a girl, I'm leaning towards Moon Unit (just kidding).

Tsen
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2008, 07:40:27 am »

Speaking of atrocious names, my niece is named Liberty Bell Hellwell.  No, I'm not kidding.

But on the topic of semi-steampunk and/or Victorian names, I fully intend to name my children Jack Rackham, Mary Read, Anne Bonny and Edward Teach.  Hopefully my wife doesn't realize I've named all of her children after pirates until it's too late.
Zastrozzi
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2008, 09:00:12 am »

Some friends of mine called their daughter Agnes, which I think is a lovely name.

What annoys me (unreasonably, I know) is when people call their child by a contracted version of a proper name - so we have Jack (which should be John), Harry (which should be Henry), etc etc.  By all means let them refer to their sons as Jack and Harry, but can we retain the proper names?

Mutter, mutter, grumble... rack and ruin... bloody Lloyd George... etc...
Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2008, 01:39:31 pm »

Speaking of atrocious names, my niece is named Liberty Bell Hellwell.  No, I'm not kidding.

But on the topic of semi-steampunk and/or Victorian names, I fully intend to name my children Jack Rackham, Mary Read, Anne Bonny and Edward Teach.  Hopefully my wife doesn't realize I've named all of her children after pirates until it's too late.
haha i'd love to name my kids after pirates! hopefully they won't end up acting like their namesakes, though. it would suck to have a son that grew his beard into dreadlocks and set them on fire as he raided the local zippy-mart with his band of shabbily-dressed hooligans.
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2008, 03:21:58 pm »

What annoys me (unreasonably, I know) is when people call their child by a contracted version of a proper name - so we have Jack (which should be John), Harry (which should be Henry), etc etc. 

Except for when "Jack" is a nickname for Jackson, and "Harry" is a nickname for Harrison....   Grin

Seriously, there are many people nowadays who have no idea that Jack originated from John, or that Harry originated from Henry, or Ned from Edward, or Nell from Eleanor (or Penelope, for that matter), or Peggy from Margaret, or Nancy from Anne, et cetera.  They are generally considered quite separate names to most moderns, although previous generations would've considered the former name in each pair to be a nickname only.  And that doesn't even touch into other naming complexities, such as "Lily" being a flower name but "Lilly" being a nickname for Lillian.

What if a mother quite likes the name "Peggy", but loathes the name "Margaret"?  Or adores the name "Jack", but "John" happens to be the name of her dirty old grand-uncle, whom she has no desire to name a son after?  There are sometimes reasons for a name choice that aren't at all related to either knowledge or ignorance of name etymology.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2008, 03:47:54 pm »

Personally I donĀ“t see the point in naming a kid one thing, say Henry, and then spending the rest of their life calling them Hank.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Laverna Lovett~
Officer

« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2008, 03:56:17 pm »

you have a very good point there, sir. that's why i usually call my friends by their whole names, even when everyone else calls them some nickname.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2008, 04:02:32 pm »

Well *a* nickname is okay, but it is the official ones like Bill that I find odd.
Lady Penelope
Zeppelin Admiral

Aiming to misbehave

« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2008, 04:13:37 pm »

Nicknames sometimes happen as a matter of convenience (s/a "Jo" being less of a mouthful than "Josephine," and therefore much easier for younger siblings to say), and sometimes they happen from pure whimsy.  For instance, I heard of one child who was named "Amber" by a mother who detested nicknames and hoped her daughter would never end up with one.  A few weeks later, she caught her son calling the new baby "Amberger" (rhymes with Hamburger), which ended up sticking, much to Mom's dismay.   Cheesy  My daughter answers to "Roo" just as readily as she does to her actual name.  "Roo" fits her personality, and she likes it.

And some people absolutely detest the full names that their parents gave them at birth, and they shorten it to a nickname so that they don't have to answer to the longer version.  If a man has the misfortune of being named after his Great-Grandpa Egbert, for instance, and he can't stand the name, I have no problem respecting his wish to be called Bert instead.  I happen to have a first name that gets mangled and mispronounced much more often than not, so I've gone by a nickname all my life, and even though I happen to like my legal name well enough, I prefer for others to call me by my nickname because it's easier for their mouths and my patience.   Cheesy
Sir Newton Bridges
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2008, 12:22:46 am »

What about the name Ambrosius?

has anyone seen the move "labyrenth" ? there is a dog/mount-thing named that

first time i thought of that movie in a long while..... *goes to find his copy*

i am living in mine zyrian fantasty
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2008, 09:18:01 pm »

My husband's real name is Harold, but has gone by the nickname "Hal" since childhood.

If you really want to get him going, call him "Halbert"...

My own first name is Mary, but my parents always called me "Min", "Minnie". or "Minnow".

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
Cerridwen
Gunner

Gogglemaker

« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2008, 11:35:23 pm »

My husband's (female!) cousin is named Eustatius, an old (male) family name from the Victorian era.  She goes by "Dick".

Check out the fabulous steampunkery on my etsy:  http://www.waywarddreams.etsy.com
Mention you found me on brassgoggles for a ten percent discount.
Gentleman-Adventurer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Freelance Hero, and Beau Sabreur.

« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2008, 11:57:34 pm »

One poor fellow in a history tutorial in my University goes by the unfortunate handle of "Maximilliam P. Ramsbottom".
Also, I have the rather morbid habit of looking around graveyards for character names for stories. I ran across a man from 1786 called "Amadeus Valentine". How I yearn for the romantic days of yore!
Cerridwen
Gunner

Gogglemaker

« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2008, 10:32:34 pm »

Ah, should mention--if we ever procreate, my husband gets to name it if its a boy (his family tradition) and I get middle name.  So, someday, I may have a son named Victor.  (I talked him back from spelling it with a k)  He wants to nickname him Thor.
Considering our kids will be cursed with a long hyphen last name, I'm still debating what the middle name will be.
(For what it's worth--A girl will be Rebecca Taylor--Rebecca after my late cousin, Taylor as an old female family name on his side which used to be a last name)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: