The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 02, 2021, 05:15:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian names which ought to be revived.  (Read 61766 times)
Professor Lidenbrock
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Semper Cedentia Retro

« on: August 09, 2007, 02:36:51 pm »

This thread has been inspired by discussions taking place on the OMG Wow! Thread.
These are all Genuine Victorian-era Forenames:Abishag,Feather,Brained,Lettuce,Ham,Uz,Clapham,Despair,Tram,Water,Energetic,Murder & Wonderful.
Perhaps if any of you good People are planning on extending your family,you might like to consider a name from the above list?
Conversely you might not.

"Through the ruins of a city stalked the ruin of a man."
Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

A Most Improper Victorian Lady

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 02:42:46 pm »

Oh my, what delightfully strange names! If I ever planned on having children (which I don't), it would be Despair for a girl, and Tram for a boy. Perhaps I will content myself by obtaining a chameleon and naming it Abishag...
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 02:47:33 pm »

If your last name was Sandwich, would you name your children Lettuce & Ham?

Vienna
Professor Lidenbrock
Zeppelin Captain

Semper Cedentia Retro

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 02:50:45 pm »

Personally,I feel Lettuce would be a good Forename for someone whose Surname was Pray :-)
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 02:52:13 pm »

Definite shades of the Lancre area in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series - where people have names such as Total Biscuit and Yodel Lightley, and one unfortunate girl was named Chlamydia...

Now, naming my cat (if I had one) Tram, that does appeal - tram enthusiast here!
Hydrargyrum
Snr. Officer
United States United States

member.GetText(Hydrargyrum);

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 04:40:16 pm »

Personally,I feel Lettuce would be a good Forename for someone whose Surname was Pray :-)
Funny, my mentor always called me "Lettuce Flea" when his town square demonstrations exploded.
It was always, "Come, Lettuce Flea! Back to the lab!"

Nothing you can make that can't be made...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 06:45:05 pm »

What about the name Ambrosius?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 06:55:49 pm »

I'm a fan of the name Clytemnestra...
I may kidnap an orphan and rename it...
(N.B. I would like to make it plain that I have absolutly no intention of kidnapping a child and renaming it... just in case any tabloid journo is reading this...)
WisconsinPlatt
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 07:19:39 pm »

...Allowishus Devondander Abercrombie... Wink
Rosalind Fairchild
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 07:30:33 pm »

Oh my, I just adore victorian names!
If I ever have children, they shall be blessed (and cursed) with very strange names.
Professor Lidenbrock
Zeppelin Captain

Semper Cedentia Retro

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:39:40 pm »

My dear outa spaceman,there is no need to put yourself to the trouble of abducting a whining brat unfortunate child.
Surely Clytemnestra would be the perfect name for a houseplant,in the style of that perfectly splendid chapess Morticia Adams.
An Aspidistra perhaps?
Don Ramo
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 09:47:37 pm »

Hmm.. Eustis, Alluicious, Barnaby, Fenton, Horatio or Loquacious are good names for a guttersnipe saved from the dustbin. I'd head the route of Esteban, Nuncio (I have a cousin by that name), Octavio, or maybe even Devante; or if a girl go with Gitana, Matia, Tulia, Ines or Esmeralda.

I do dislike the lack of diacritics for use on the forum. I'd have so much fun putting in the Slavic names I find appealing that have been recycled over and over again.
p0stal b0b
Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

Zees goggles, zey do nuzzink!

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 10:07:43 pm »

Seconding Horatio, & adding Phineas, Ambrose, Thaddeus, and Harrison. Smiley
Dr. Redmoon
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 11:08:31 pm »

While not particularly Victorian, I am fond of the name Serafina for a girl. I've known girls named Erandi, Twyla, and Griselle.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 01:55:58 am »

[/quote]
Seconding Horatio, & adding Phineas, Ambrose, Thaddeus, and Harrison. Smiley

Here here! I have a classmate with the name Ambrose. Nice fellow, a bit unable to control his tongue...

Personally I like the name Octavius.

Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer
little-spoon
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 02:27:52 am »

Chauncey, Leslie (which used to be a masculine name), and Thaddeus.
I also had two very dear stuffed cats named Buford and Eustace as a child.

For female names, I've always been partial to Mathilde and Zylphia.
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 03:02:04 am »

It is my (untutored) understanding that names like "Despair" and "Illness" (I cannot remember the Arabic translations) are much-used in some Arabic-speaking desert-regions of North Africa ( "The Maghreb", specifically), because many other common names, such as "Akhbar" ( "Great") are considered to be parental-hubris, and therefore unlucky/blasphemous.

I could easily see this practice spreading out in a more Steampunk Universe, with faster communication and cultural exposure.

"Oi, mate, this is me nipper - Unfortunate Events Jones.."   Smiley

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
NoraBray
Officer
Australia Australia

Turtles are steampunk friendly

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 04:41:41 am »

Even if you do name a child with an outrages name they can be changed in this day and age.. though they have to wait till they are legally old enough to do it themselves... I think if I had had the chance to I would have picked something more interesting than my name, hell there are so many others with the same name that I was called by my last name at school rather than my first!

Turtles are neat..
Charleson Mambo
Zeppelin Captain
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Cyberpunk is a Hello Kitty claymore mine.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 06:26:45 am »

For one of my failed NaNoWriMo attempts I named a couple of characters thusly:
Viridian Porter, a young lady quite skilled at "lifeshaping", and,
Jason Alter Wright, an adventuring engineer (and a cyborg).

Hmm, maybe I should haul out that particular manuscript and give it another wack.

Charleson Mambo

--
To confuse, inveigle, and obfuscate.

The Alt.Cyberpunk.Chatsubo Anthology website: www.accanthology.com
Duncan Hawthorne
Officer

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 02:05:12 pm »

I have some friends who, when they married, both changed their last name to "Marvelous" - which is kind of off-topic, but brilliant nonetheless.

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde
rollerboi
Officer

Subaquatic Alchemical Inquisitor

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 05:16:10 pm »

A list of victorian names: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~poindexterfamily/OldNames.html

"Release the penguins."
imperialgirl
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 05:21:18 pm »

I have some friends who, when they married, both changed their last name to "Marvelous" - which is kind of off-topic, but brilliant nonetheless.

Brilliant indeed!

My boyfriend's aunt married a gentleman with the surname of Pickles, but they both changed their names to Brock when they were wed. A pity they weren't more adventurous!
Don Ramo
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 07:52:15 pm »

Merciful Buddha! I looked at the list of names and I remember a gent in my HS days in Indiana that was named Zebulon. I completely forgot about that until reading that list because he was just referred to as Zeb.
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 08:28:12 pm »

There is also Zebediah. 

Vienna
teawithsteph
Officer

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 09:13:26 pm »

Naming children can be tough. You want a name that is different yet not so odd sounding that they will get made fun of.

I can't tell you how many Briana's, McKenzie, McKenna, etc my little girl goes to school with. However we picked a fairly unusual yet common sounding name "Treanna". She has never been made fun of because it is so similar to all the other girls yet at the same time it is unusual enough that people almost always comment about how pretty it is.

For our son we picked a more European name (Actually we often just tell people our children have European names and leave it at that. Most people really don't know better around here.) that is even historic. Alaric. Sounds normal enough and anyone who has read history might know of the name. However it is unusual but he is rather proud of his name (for now) and corrects people frequently on exactly "how" to pronounce it.

Then again with our again normal sounding surname that nonetheless is unusual we needed names that would balance it out. We think we did a rather good job and we don't tend to get those "What were you thinking" stares from other parents.

Stephanie Ganger
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: