The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 01, 2020, 06:19:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 74   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Collective Thread for All Them Guns Pt. II  (Read 301407 times)
gmjhowe
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Destroyer of Worlds

gmjhowe
« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »

All the Grordbort's Righteous Bison modification contest entries are in, and can be seen here:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/dr-grordborts-custom-raygun-contest-entries-125092/

With the results here:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/dr-grordborts-custom-raygun-contest-winners-announced-126897/

Some lovely work, pity I never got started on mine.

Sad Smiley

wow, it is excellent to see the variation on those entries! Missed it first time around, so thanks a lot for sharing Herr Döktor!

Lets upgrade this conversation to realtime, join me in the chatroom - #brassgoggles
Metal surface on a fragile skin.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #276 on: September 22, 2011, 03:52:37 am »

Two things:  you know for all the rants on the topic of weapons by people from the UK...YOU PEOPLE HAVE ACCESS TO A REALLY COOL AIRSOFT GUN!   Grin
Airsoft review World War 1 MP-18 - EpicAirsoftHD - Episode 5
 Having used the real deal, that is a top notch reproduction, it's a shame I can't find any over here, except one from Japan that is way overpriced.  

Lastly:  A friend of mine loved my Nerf mod so he wanted me to do some work on his toy Uzi.  His one requirement was that it needed to still have the sound effects, so there was a lot that I could not do, but I went for it anyway.  
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is my favorite part, but sadly I could not get it to expose more of the gear without cutting into the mechanism:

My customer loved it.  Originally he traded for it, but when I delivered it he wanted to give me money, but as he is a friend and doesn't have much of that I let my payment be the trade and the agreement to use it if I do any sort of an art show with Steampunk.  

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2011, 12:15:12 pm »

All the Grordbort's Righteous Bison modification contest entries are in, and can be seen here:

With the results here:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/dr-grordborts-custom-raygun-contest-winners-announced-126897/

Sad Smiley

wow, it is excellent to see the variation on those entries! Missed it first time around, so thanks a lot for sharing Herr Döktor!

Amazing inspiring brilliant work by the entrants.

I had a crack at it with my sky blue 'silly cow' but was not near the mark on inventiveness or build quality.

So I pulled it apart after the competition and started again.

Here is where I am at so far, most doo dads attached, now down to paint detail and weathering.

Overall paint finish is rattle can chrome, with real brass parts added. I will do some copper and brass highlighting on the moulded parts, and then weather the whole thing with some graphite.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
gmjhowe
Officer

Destroyer of Worlds

gmjhowe
« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2011, 02:59:56 pm »

With the results here:

Sad Smiley

Amazing inspiring brilliant work by the entrants.

I had a crack at it with my sky blue 'silly cow' but was not near the mark on inventiveness or build quality.

So I pulled it apart after the competition and started again.

Here is where I am at so far, most doo dads attached, now down to paint detail and weathering.

Overall paint finish is rattle can chrome, with real brass parts added. I will do some copper and brass highlighting on the moulded parts, and then weather the whole thing with some graphite.

I assume the Bison is a much cheaper one of the Weta props? I saw it was £99, or is it cheaper elsewhere?
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #279 on: September 23, 2011, 12:41:57 am »

Ah, well - this was all part of a modding competition run on the Replica Prop Forum, for forum members.

Weta provided 'naked' Bisons (assembled but unpainted) for around $40 I think it was (I had Weta dollars from previous purchases with them so it brought my purchase cost down to $10).

There was a limited supply (around 200) and there were just over 50 entries into the competition, so there are still 150 naked Bisons hoofing about in the hands of modders - I suppose they might turn up on eBay cheap - but I think Weta could still have one or two in store if you contacted them.
Sgt.Whatshisname
Zeppelin Captain

Fightin' 4th Irish Brigade

« Reply #280 on: September 23, 2011, 01:07:43 am »

Greetings all.
I haven’t posted in a couple of years so I had to re register and start again at “One”
Oh well,

Here are a couple of pics of some of my collection which allow me to “blend in” as it were.

Now in order to brag, and keep in the spirit of the conversation without seeming a complete ass Wink

A very good freind of mine, Doctor Tymenhopper tends to bring me along on some of his adventures. he has an Airship WITH a built in timemachine. He brings me along as his "Historical weapons" advisor. I've picked up a few souvineers over the years.
  What's interesting , is everywhere we go there always seems to be a lot of shooting, running away from something, running towards something, and scantily clad women, not that the last bothers me all that much mind you.

If you have access to a time machine, Stay away from the Crusades, they are entirely too preoccupied with religion.
[/spoiler]

I Highly reccomend the Roman empire but DON"T DRINK THE WINE! It's hideous. And the Legionairies tend to be about as humorless as the palace Guard at Buckingham.

The 15th Century Tournament circuit is a lot of fun but make sure you're heavily armed.

The Pillaging, burning and looting I can understand but the foaming at the mouth is a bit disconcerting

Now this piece, I have NO Idea who, what, or when they are, let's just say the good doctor and I had a long and "animated" discussion following the "hey let's set the time machine to the distant future and see what happens" incident.  Roll Eyes
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6169/6173725414_38595b2856_z.jpg

Now to ask for some real advice,
I suppose as a weapons expert, I should probably begin constructing my own. here's some bits and pieces I've found in the shop, and I have access to much more. any ideas?
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun?
Steam? Powder? Ray?

We love the land of Liberty, It's laws we will revere
but the devil take the nobility, says the Irish Volunteers!
gmjhowe
Officer

Destroyer of Worlds

gmjhowe
« Reply #281 on: September 23, 2011, 10:32:24 am »

Ah, well - this was all part of a modding competition run on the Replica Prop Forum, for forum members.

Weta provided 'naked' Bisons (assembled but unpainted) for around $40 I think it was (I had Weta dollars from previous purchases with them so it brought my purchase cost down to $10).

There was a limited supply (around 200) and there were just over 50 entries into the competition, so there are still 150 naked Bisons hoofing about in the hands of modders - I suppose they might turn up on eBay cheap - but I think Weta could still have one or two in store if you contacted them.

Thank you, I had assumed they had been sold cheaper. I may just enquire, they may be as good as to sell me one.
Harrison Thynne
Swab

« Reply #282 on: September 23, 2011, 10:57:20 pm »

My first run at a raygun...

Raygun at home...

Raygun in Asylum Military Parade...

There is a strong camera flash set off by the trigger mechanism to charge the glow-in-the-dark fluid in the glass tubing...

Feedback?
BlackReaper
Gunner

« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2011, 12:48:29 am »

Lovely Gun Harrison Thynne!

Be yourself,everybody else is taken.
"All that glitters is not gold,all those who wander are not lost;.."--J.R.Tolkien
GLYAASDI--God Loves You All And So Do I
Sgt.Whatshisname
Zeppelin Captain

Fightin' 4th Irish Brigade

« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2011, 02:40:38 am »

My first attempt out of the gate,
A Thompson inspired RayGun

So I started with these

Then I came up with this

So I cleaned them up, painted and reassembled

Then I took a scrap piece of this

Cut it into this

And came up with this

More cutting, painting and fitting got me from this

to this

To this.

Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt
Zeppelin Captain

Bettering mankind through science and engineering!

« Reply #285 on: September 27, 2011, 02:42:47 am »

So my lady asked if i could post her first ever Steampunk weapon. Shes a bit nervous due to her never doing anything like this before but tbh i think its a nifty little gun Smiley

She calls it The Woman's Scorn

Feedback appreciated!

D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #286 on: September 27, 2011, 02:46:39 am »

So my lady asked if i could post her first ever Steampunk weapon. Shes a bit nervous due to her never doing anything like this before but tbh i think its a nifty little gun Smiley

Feedback appreciated!

Woman's Scorn needs barbed wire, acid, a flamethrower, and bullets that fire "YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID!?"   Grin

Seriously I like it. 
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #287 on: September 27, 2011, 07:15:36 am »

Feedback appreciated!

Well, perhaps it may earn a woman's scorn but I—a mere man—like it immensely.

Jolly good show!  Grin

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

gmjhowe
Officer

Destroyer of Worlds

gmjhowe
« Reply #288 on: September 27, 2011, 10:05:38 am »

Feedback appreciated!

I think she has done an excellent job. The only thing that looks a little 'off' to me is the handle, a nice sloped handle made from wood might be a worth upgrade! As it stands, a brilliant first try.
The_Haberdash
Officer

« Reply #289 on: September 27, 2011, 02:55:58 pm »

Hey, all.
I just wanted to quickly share some of the guns I've been working on...

The first one was just a trial to experiment. It's designed for character use/stage use, so didn't need to be too neat. Thankfully, given it was the first!

Modelled by Captain Marici Roam of The Indefatigable.

The second is Roam's side arm, which when the trigger is pulled, the "battery" at the back (UV liquid) deactivates and the quartz crystal point becomes brighter. I don't know why.

The third is a popular and cheap one from plastic and metal parts (decorative scope) issued to all in the steam army in our little world here.

Hope you like'm. More to come in good time.
The_Haberdash
Officer

« Reply #290 on: September 27, 2011, 03:12:30 pm »

Actually, you can see two recent commissions here...
I apologise for the terrible video quality and presentation. I was suffering from a cold.

war toys.wmv

The choice of music comes from the customer asking for a "side arm" and I got a bit carried away making something around half a meter long. He loved it (if only for the UV laser sight).

You can also laugh at me coming down with the cold, advertising a couple of easy paint mods for rental at the recent Retrofuturists Ball, here..;

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150795158990361

Made the video around 2330, so couldn't go all out Drill Sgt. as I wanted. Neighbours would have been less than enthused.
SpaceClown
Snr. Officer

It's not stupid, it's ADVANCED!

« Reply #291 on: September 27, 2011, 03:13:00 pm »

Feedback appreciated!

Great build!  I think that's an excellent first effort (it's an excellent effort for a seasoned builder as well).  Looks menacing, and when it lights up...I just feel the need to apologize, even if I don't know what I did wrong, just to make it stop.  

Weird.

SC

There is no problem in the world that cannot be overcome with the suitable application of high explosives.

First Build: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31253.0.html
Second One: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38856.0.html
Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt
Zeppelin Captain

Bettering mankind through science and engineering!

« Reply #292 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:18 pm »

Well my lady is very pleased that you all admire her work. She has been such a blessing on my car project and I don't think it would be nearly as awesome as it is if she did not lend her artistic and moral support!

Huzzah!
barb dwyer
Zeppelin Captain

Same planet ~ different world

« Reply #293 on: September 27, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »

Hmmm?

Did someone mention barb dwyer?
 Smiley
I do love the name of the weapon certainly!

Wonderful pieces
and the competition thread
had me needing a lie down.

@Harrison Thynne -
lovely weapon -
is that a neon light inside?
What is it if I may ask?

*Relentless Optimystic *
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #294 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:24 pm »

BadaBing! Cheesy

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
MakerMike
Gunner

MakerMike
« Reply #295 on: September 28, 2011, 09:20:57 pm »

Being a former laser jock, I've got to say that your gun looks a lot like a YAG-pumped dye laser, that is to say, just about right!

Raygun at home...

There is a strong camera flash set off by the trigger mechanism to charge the glow-in-the-dark fluid in the glass tubing...

Feedback?

Capt. H. Viscount
Officer

Oooh, that's champion that is...what is it?

« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:30 pm »

Raygun at home...

Feedback?

I was very impressed with that at the Asylum earlier in the month. I especially like how you used the camera flash and glow-in-the-dark liquid. Nice work! 

Well sir, if that's your attitude I'm not interested in your water tank!
Strapped-4-Cache
Snr. Officer

Oooo! Shiny!

« Reply #297 on: September 29, 2011, 02:56:53 am »

Good evening ladies and gentlemen.  This is my first post, though I admit I’ve been a lurker since 2009.  I attended Dragon*Con that year and was impressed with all the wonderful brassy goodness that was represented by the steam punk crowd.

I’ve begun work on my wardrobe and gear for next year, and have been marveling over the craftsmanship of the weapons that have been displayed in this thread.  Building a couple of weapons is on my to-do list and you have all given me LOTS of ideas to consider.

Although I don’t have any of my own work to share at the moment, I wanted to share an idea that came to me while searching for appropriate items to re-purpose.  I was wandering down one of the aisles in Toys-R-Us when one of the gadgets in the kid’s tools sections caught my attention.

Take a look at the “Real Construction” nail gun when you get a chance.  (I’d post a link, but I can’t find any pictures of a decent size to show the detail.)  The idea behind the toy is that the person using the tool will drive a ‘nail’ by pushing down on a plunger.  Instead of a clip of nails which one would see in a real nail gun, six nails are loaded in a cylinder.  The user pulls a trigger, which rotates the cylinder and lines up a nail to be driven by the plunger.  Does this sound familiar?

The cylinder is impressively large, and fluted exactly like one on a revolver.  I’m tempted to purchase one of these things just to build a monster revolver.  Something on the order of the Pfeifer Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum.  Yeah, it’s that big.

Since both time and finances are preventing me from pulling the trigger on this idea, so to speak, I figured I’d share the idea to see if it had any merit.  Maybe someone else will be able to do some prototyping and mock up an appropriate mammoth-killer.

Just don’t be mad if I swipe the design for myself.   Grin
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #298 on: September 29, 2011, 08:22:25 am »

Hmmm nice - that nail-gun certainly has some steamy potential!

Some really nice pieces on show this month - well done all and keep 'em coming!  It's always inspiring to see what people are up to and to know that one is not alone in persuing with a weird hobby!!! Wink
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #299 on: September 29, 2011, 08:35:27 am »

I'm working on the bandoliers and the blaster for a jawa costume, it's for a friend's son.

the blaster is about half done and coming right along.

I was going to just use a buzz bee hunter bolt action dart gun but I spend two days hitting just about every store I could think of to find one and they were all sold out. so I figure I might as well make a more accurate one.

the bandoliers are coming together fairly easily. I simply wrapped pieces of faux leather around cigarette package sized blocks of wood to make the pouches, with an upholstery tack to mimic the snap closure. they simply slide onto a home made sling or even a large leather belt.
I will get some pictures together of the pouches next.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 74   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: