The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 25, 2019, 12:17:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few of my humble Lovecraftian creations (photo heavy)  (Read 48989 times)
The Traveller
Gunner
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

CodexImaginata
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2011, 01:01:49 am »

Perhaps a spot of dry ice under coloured water for that parlour table conversation starter as well.

MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2011, 10:57:52 am »

Its been a while since I've posted, real life getting in the way. Anyway what an amazing thread to break my silence. Sir, as a great fan of the Cthulhu Mythos, I am absolutely delighted with your work. Are you in anyway related to The HP Lovecraft Historical Society over in the States?
http://www.cthulhulives.org
LadyJade
Swab

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2011, 11:22:49 am »

I adore your work. Especially the Kraken/Octopi/Tentacle related items!
Very inspiring to look at x
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2011, 02:05:54 am »

Todays observation: You're doing way too much of this sort of thing if you spend the afternoon boning a boiled chicken, and start picking out all the vertibrae because  you 'bet you could make something with them'. :p

Anyway...

You're very kind LadyJade. Thank you so much.

And you as well Mouse. I'm not involved with the Historical Society, but I did check out their site and found some very useful items to download that I'll probably print out later and use with some of my items. Newspaper clippings to add to my logbook, things like that.

And thanks to all the encouragement, I've gone ahead and start settign up a  Deviantart page. You can see the WIP at http://herbertw.deviantart.com/

Meanwhile work continues on my investigators case. Rebuilding the interior with its felt lining is taking some time to complete. I really need to pick up some larger clamps. Amd good news! I got my very first commission piece! $200 to make a mummified hand.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

aka Helga Von Flam, Lady Aviatrix Extraordinaire

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 11:27:04 am »

hehe, these are great and gross all at the same time! particularly like the green tentacles protruding from the wooden box -really looks alive!

keep it up!
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 04:41:14 pm »

a thought on inlay: perhaps scribing deep lines in the wood, 2 part epoxy gluing in some brass or copper wire in the grooves and then filing/sanding down the rounded edge of the wire to make it flush with the box...
also a small switch hidden by the edge ofthe box could turn on an led underneath for glowy eyes/skin etc would be easy enough to do with a strip of plastic to break the circuit from the battery as the box closes...

ps love the slimebeast and the overall look of the whole item. Please devaint art so i can oogle more!

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
Ravenson
Officer

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 04:17:47 am »

Wow very nice work.   Many of your pieces are in the same vein as some of mine.  Keep posting please I love seeing other artists work.   BTW since I am new here how do you post a picture do you need to have something Like a flicker account or does the forum do all the hosting.  again Great stuff.

Jeff
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2011, 06:00:40 am »

Yay! My fang in a box was the artifact of the day over on Propnomicons blog! I'm so proud.  Grin

Ravenson - Thanks! Yeah, you need an image hosting site to store your pics, then you just link to them here. Photobucket is a good free one.

Good ideas there Miss Groves. I'll pick up an extra box next time I'm at Michaels and give the wire thing a try. And I've thought about the 'glowing eyes thing. Maybe get really fancy and hook up a tiny moter to lift the lid so it can peek out on the hour. Smiley

and yet, setting up a Deviantart page now. see the link above.

Rachel - Thanks! You're not the only one. That one actually sold to one of our members in the UK. I miss the little guy. *sniff*
Engineer
Zeppelin Captain

The League of Bournemouth Steampunks

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2011, 05:29:41 pm »

Excellent work Mr West. I only just found this thread, otherwise I would have congratulated you sooner!

One day I will have a go at a 'collectable' or two ...
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2011, 07:51:26 pm »

Ohhh.  Just had a brilliant idea....  Make one of these creatures in a box, but in the lower portion of the box house a small 4" speaker that has been sufficiently water proofed.  Make a "slime creature" into a bowl around the speaker then fill the speaker with OObleck (starch and water) that has been dyed to match the paint scheme of the slime creature.  Add a latex tentacle that opens the lid via a hidden motor or serve and when the lid is opened, activate the speaker with a nice high-amplitude low-frequency sound to bring the oobleck to "life".
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »

Now yer talking! I may just have to start doing my electronics homework. Smiley

The 'Hand of Glory' I'm making as a commission for a friend really got me stumped. Its one thing to create slimy monstrosities. Its another thing entirely o have to make a realistic bit of human anatomy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:17:13 pm by Herbert West » Logged
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2011, 04:23:32 pm »

Now yer talking! I may just have to start doing my electronics homework. Smiley

The 'Hand of Glory' I'm making as a commission for a friend really got me stumped. Its one thing to create slimy monstrosities. Its another thing entirely o have to make a realistic bit of human anatomy.

You could always make a cast of your own hand, use that as a mold for some Sculpey then shave bits down and add wrinkles to give that dessicated appearance.  Add some candle wicks to the finger tips before curing then either dip the whole thing in melted wax or drizzle the melted wax all over it.

(At least that's how I'd probably proceed)
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2011, 08:10:25 pm »

hmm plaster cast of a hand will have a percentage shrink to it as do some materials you can use to cast.
So you could make a plaster cast of the hand and then cast in plaster from that mold to get a reduced hand, then shave down the plaster in places to dessicate it.
OR
Plaster cast of hand and press wet leather into it....

either way you could make a recess in each finger to fit a birthday cake sized candle in and light them...
ooo creepy!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 01:08:06 pm »

Some great suggestions so far. Thanks folks. I am making slow progress with my sculpting. Right now I have a basic skeletal hand hade from wire, and blobs of epoxy putty for the joints. Then I'll use the Dremel to etch and grind hightlights, then start layering on latex to put some flesh on it.

I'm thinking of doing a design similar to this, rather than the standard 'candles in the fingertips style. The wax can hide some of my mistakes.

But y'know, looking at this thing in its half-finished state does inspire me to perhaps try creatign non-human hands. Maybe with claws, or webbed fingers. That sort of thing.

Taillte
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2011, 02:12:19 pm »

I've only just now come upon this thread and I must say that you have quite a talent. Your work really does seem like something you'd find on an abandoned ship coming back from an unknown land. I think my favorite would have to be your tentacled thing in a box. Keep up the great work. I'm sure you could easily sell your work on Etsy or any other handmade art site.
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 04:01:32 pm »

Don't know if you've considered it or not, but you could probably build quite a career making Haunted House props.
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2011, 05:53:44 pm »

I just had a weird thought. Have you considered a Lovecraftian version of the World's Most Useless Machine?

The Most Useless Machine EVER!DQ

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2011, 04:31:43 pm »

Sorry I've been leavign this thread idle. Been fussing over the hand, and been busy settign up my DeviantArt page. Anyway, I've made a good bit of progress on the hand part of the hand of glory.. Figured I should post what I have so far here for comments and suggestions. Needless to say this has NOT been any easy build.

The real thing is actually a good bit darker than what my crappy camera shows. Though I rather like the yollwish tinge of the first one.

I just had a weird thought. Have you considered a Lovecraftian version of the World's Most Useless Machine?

Hee-hee! Love that! So many possibilities.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:53:19 am by Herbert West » Logged
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2011, 07:05:02 pm »

my first thought was ewww...
mummified hand, wow, looking good so far
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:10 pm »

And heres the finished product. Having wicks on both sides seemed like an interestign feature to me. Though I wish I'd posed the hand differently. too late now though. It seems to burn just fine, but I dunno, something still seems 'off' to me. Any suggestions?

Note: Had to delete this one as the pics have gone missing.  Angry

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:54:57 am by Herbert West » Logged
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2011, 01:01:24 am »

Decided to take the initiative on my own and broken off about half of the wax. Have also cracked the fingers to flatten out the hand and epoxied the broken bits.

*sigh* Doing paid projects when you're still learning is a pain.
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2011, 12:24:54 am »

Well, I was about to recommend that to you. See! You don't really need us  Smiley

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2011, 12:58:38 am »

When did "Thing" die?  He was one of my favorite characters from "The Addams Family" !

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2011, 01:01:12 am »

The Most Useless Machine EVER!

Yes!  "Thing" in The Most Useless Machine Ever would be great!  I may have to build one, leave it on the end table in the Living room and watch what happens.  Smiley
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2011, 01:11:08 am »

The Most Useless Machine EVER!

Yes!  "Thing" in The Most Useless Machine Ever would be great!  I may have to build one, leave it on the end table in the Living room and watch what happens.  Smiley

Why not add a very mild electric shock to it aswell?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: