The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2020, 11:38:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few of my humble Lovecraftian creations (photo heavy)  (Read 54836 times)
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #425 on: April 27, 2016, 05:58:02 pm »

This is starting to look wonderfully disquietening. Will there be a tentacle, spindly leg or eyestalk starting to peep out of one of the eggs?

Yours,
Mirana.

Hopefully, all of the above!  Cheesy

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #426 on: April 29, 2016, 05:09:49 am »

Took a day off, but now I'm back to it. Here's the wire technique I mentioned. I used carefully straightened paperclips for these two strands. Once they're superglued into position, they hold the egg firmly in place. So now I can glue the other strands in place and carefully pull them taut without worrying about causing slackening in strands going in other directions.

Hopefully this will speed up progress considerably.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:11:35 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #427 on: April 29, 2016, 05:13:27 am »

This is starting to look wonderfully disquietening. Will there be a tentacle, spindly leg or eyestalk starting to peep out of one of the eggs?

Yours,
Mirana.

Hopefully, all of the above!  Cheesy

HP

Ohhh, I've got a third pod. Maybe breaking it open and adding a spider leg partly protruding will work.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #428 on: April 29, 2016, 09:37:57 am »

... or a partially-digested arm ...

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #429 on: April 30, 2016, 08:55:24 am »

One of the great downsides of doing weird art is the lack of references. For example, what color should giant spider webbing be?
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #430 on: April 30, 2016, 09:49:49 am »

One of the great downsides of doing weird art is the lack of references. For example, what color should giant spider webbing be?

Maybe make some a yellowed colour, suggesting being aged within an ancient birthing site that these creatures return to time and again? Possibly because of a nearby source of food for the hungry hatchlings...

Yours,
Miranda.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #431 on: May 03, 2016, 02:44:51 am »

Reading that made my skin crawl
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #432 on: May 03, 2016, 08:19:31 am »

It looks creepier in each new picture.  Most impressive.  For paint I'd suggest a pale mottled look, green, grey and yellow to give a feeling of decay.  You might use some fluorescent paint so that the horror is faintly visible in darkness.  If/when you are installing eldritch lights the cracked pod could have a glowing opening. 
ewoudo
Gunner
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #433 on: May 03, 2016, 09:06:01 am »

wow, this looks very nice!

*maybe you can add a pulsing ledlight on the inside*    so u can add a shade of whats inside.. *shivers*
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #434 on: May 03, 2016, 09:56:16 am »

Toothpicks! Why didn't I think of this before? Very sturdy, and without the hassle of cutting wheels and pliers that wire requires.

Currently I'm adding the 3rd egg pod.

Yeah, adding some yellow and green washed might help. Right now I've got pearl medium over grey which has given everything an unintended metallic sheen. Spraying clear brown coat over it has only managed to turn the threads to gold. So I'm not sure what to do now.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #435 on: May 03, 2016, 10:47:11 am »

Ack! First big mistake of the build. One of the paints I used has reacted to the plastic strip I was using and melted them into rubber. So i'm having to go back and replace a lot of the sagging ones. *sigh*

So later today I'll have to go pick up a package of craft wire, and start stripping off the plastic strands. :p
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:19:53 am by Herbert West » Logged
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #436 on: May 04, 2016, 07:15:06 am »

Don't despair, sir.

On the basis that slime is good, can you use any of the resulting muck to good effect?
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #437 on: May 04, 2016, 08:42:07 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Gold threads. I like that- gives it all a slightly cyborg/alien feel to the the show.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #438 on: May 04, 2016, 12:23:20 pm »

Unfortunately most of the sands are too saggy/rubbery to use, so I'm going to replace them with wire. As a result, I picked up a box of paperclips for $1.25 which I'll simply straighten and glue into place as needed. It'll also give me a chance to explore various options.

While I contemplate the issue, I've decided to do a quick and simple box to store my insulin supplies. Using as always, a cheap and nasty box from Michael's. It's good to have a secondary projects in case things get frustrating.

It's funny how most people try to make a lovely stained and varnished finish, while others want our wood as tattered and decayed as possible.

Day one involved painting the box with a strong tea solution. After lettign it dry, I brushed it with my beloved steel wool and white vinegar mixture.

Day two of the box involved giving the wood a good gouging with a Dremel, a large wood rasp and pounding and scratching it with a small rock. Not quite satisfied, I took it in the garage and scrubbed it well with one of my roomies large wire brushes, which gave me all those lovely long worn scratches in the soft wood. I'm so impressed with it that I'll probably go over it again tomorrow to erase some of those round Dremel holes that I'm not happy with.
After that, I gave it a thorough wash nd wipe down with a mix of brown and black acrylic paint. For now, its been set aside to dry.

Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #439 on: May 04, 2016, 05:30:52 pm »

Looking good.

Distressing is so relaxing, is it not?  Wink

HP
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #440 on: May 05, 2016, 06:32:40 am »

Now I can't decide if I should varnish it, or stain it.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #441 on: May 05, 2016, 06:55:02 am »

My vote goes to stain!
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #442 on: May 05, 2016, 08:08:21 am »

I would also tend more to staining than varnishing, but do you need to do anything?  It looks wonderful as it is - even the woodworm holes can stay, for my money.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #443 on: May 05, 2016, 10:30:23 am »

Yeah, keeping it the natural color sounds like a plan. Though I may hit the inside with a clearcoat just to help keep everything clean.

I'll try hitting the outside with a clear matte finish just to protect the finish. Or at least what there is of it. Smiley

For now, I've got bits glued into plae that'll require drying overnight. Photos tomorrow.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #444 on: May 08, 2016, 10:54:15 am »

Here we go, all done. Here are the beauty shots, using some small scrolls of forbidden knowledge I threw together. Next time I'm at Michael's I need to pick up some sealing wax sticks. The red would be a lot more intense than a red candle.

And heres a shot of the interior, and how it'll be used day to day.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:00:48 am by Herbert West » Logged
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #445 on: May 08, 2016, 12:59:51 pm »

Good Sir, I presume that you are medicating for Diabetes.  Might I suggest a use for the discarded syringes in your work.  The effects of the medical visionary from whom you take your name.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #446 on: May 08, 2016, 10:08:41 pm »

Yes indeed I am.

I'm not sure about these syringes though. They're a bit too plastic-y to pass as authentic artifacts. I suppose there might be antique versions available on Ebay.
keithjones
Gunner

« Reply #447 on: May 09, 2016, 02:18:32 am »

Phenomenal job, sir!  Sorry to hear about the diabetes - my grandfather had it and I know what you are going through.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #448 on: May 10, 2016, 06:37:20 pm »

Good Sir, I presume that you are medicating for Diabetes.  Might I suggest a use for the discarded syringes in your work.  The effects of the medical visionary from whom you take your name.

I like that idea, but my understanding is that, once used, these syringes are medical waste and should be disposed of accordingly. I may well be wrong, but...

Herbert West, have you considered having whatever is emerging from its egg move on its own? There are battery-operated tentacles available, for example.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #449 on: May 11, 2016, 02:29:43 am »

Thank you. The injections are a hardship sometimes. But I guess it beats the alternative. But who knows what'l happen in the long term?

I think if I were to use a syringe in a project,I'd love to have something like this.

And now, back to  the spider web.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: