The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 16, 2018, 10:15:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few of my humble Lovecraftian creations (photo heavy)  (Read 41666 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #400 on: March 21, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »

Ooh, some wonderful things posted up here over the last week. Dear Captain West, love the book, the skull and their enthralling provenance. Dear Ravenson, some lovely, gory pieces there. I can just imagine talking to the neighbours - have you heard my latest composition for skull lute...?  Grin

Yours,
Miranda.
Ravenson
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #401 on: March 22, 2016, 05:41:41 pm »

LOL I am sure the neighbors talk anyway so I might as well give them something interesting to talk about!!   Cheesy
Fizzylicious
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #402 on: March 23, 2016, 08:19:16 pm »

Wow, some really lovely stuff. Great texture on the bottles.

Keep it coming please! Smiley

-Fizzy-
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #403 on: April 01, 2016, 11:23:04 am »

Your work is just wonderful. Your weathering is perfect and your imagination makes me jealous. Sorry for such a non constructive post... I just wanted to acknowledge your genius Smiley

First pants... then shoes
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #404 on: April 05, 2016, 03:26:59 pm »

Oop, sorry I haven't checked in sooner. Congrats on a successful show Ravenson! Got any more coming up?

And thank you Spacebovine, sir. I assume you're referring to me. Smiley   I get so little feedback that it's always a pleasure to get compliments.
 I can't say my imagination is anything special. But it's amazing what reading Lovecraft, authors inspired by him as well as lots of supernatural horror movies will do. Smiley

Currently setting up for a new piece, which I can hopefully share soon. Just waiting for some flocking supplies to arrive in the mail.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #405 on: April 06, 2016, 12:17:03 am »

Reading Lovecraft and the like is great inspiration, but creating 3 dimensional object from nothing more than a text description takes imagination Wink
Ravenson
Officer

« Reply #406 on: April 06, 2016, 10:44:15 pm »

Actually Herbert yes i do..  I am trying a new show this weekend  ( April 9&10) called Victory of Light.. It is a psychic fair but we are hoping the regular leather and resin journals will sell well.  We will have to see LOL  at the very lest it is going to be interesting because both my wife and myself are fighting colds..  Then the last weekend of the month I have the Ashville Viking Fest in ashville Ohio.   I have vended at that show for several years and it has always been a fun show even if the sales are not the best sometimes  ( outdoor show so weather effects sales)    After those two shows I am not sure what is next LOL.   I hope to finish a hand of glory and the mold so I can make hand of glory candles I have been working on here in the next couple months and maybe a couple more pieces we will have to see.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #407 on: April 21, 2016, 03:48:45 am »

As a suggestion for insect or faerie wings in the future:  my father and I both tie flies for fly fishing. He designed an Eastern Cicada pattern with veined wings (btw, trout cant get enough during cicada season). He took a piece of scotch tape and laid out pieces of thread across the tape so that they looked like veins, then placed tape onthe other side. He attached them, then cut them to shape, sealing the edges with head cement (a clear shellack coating type thing that seals everytging up nice. Clear nail polish works, too.)

Thought you may find the idea useful.

I gave this a try.  To get a symmetrical pair, you'd need a template to copy from but I just did one as a test.  Not a bad idea.  Definitely going into my cabinet of curiosities.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those look great! Glad you found some use out of it!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #408 on: April 21, 2016, 10:29:07 am »

Very early work in progress. In fact, I just started tonight. Lord I need to clean up my work table.

And reference photo.

oprion
Officer

« Reply #409 on: April 21, 2016, 06:55:44 pm »

Is that Papier-mâché?
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #410 on: April 21, 2016, 07:12:56 pm »

That is super cool!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #411 on: April 21, 2016, 08:20:08 pm »

Is that Papier-mâché?

Pretty much. It started out as a brown paper ball from the craft store. I sanded down some of the raised details, then coated it with several layers of tetured spray paint, tissue, white glue, and liquid acrylic, then used black yarn coated in thin white glue to  make the veins.

For now, I'm adding lots of fishing line strands to simulate the web, which I'll coat in liquid latex to make it look a bit lumpy
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #412 on: April 21, 2016, 08:49:42 pm »

Have you used the technique of putting liquid latex between two pieces of wood letting it dry a bit and then moving them apart to create latex string spiderweb?  It might be useful here.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #413 on: April 22, 2016, 02:37:29 am »

Genious!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #414 on: April 22, 2016, 05:22:43 am »

Have you used the technique of putting liquid latex between two pieces of wood letting it dry a bit and then moving them apart to create latex string spiderweb?  It might be useful here.

Oh I haven't. Is there a demonstration online anywhere? It'd sure speed up the process.

Here it is a bit further along. The tricky part is keeping all those lines taut.I ended up gluing the sac to the branch so it wouldn't be constantly being drug one way or another.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:30:40 am by Herbert West » Logged
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #415 on: April 22, 2016, 08:39:11 pm »

Looking good so far. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #416 on: April 25, 2016, 09:04:05 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
What a perfectly hideous thing to have found on a Miskatonic University expedition!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #417 on: April 25, 2016, 10:57:27 am »

I haven't found a demonstration of the cobweb method I mentioned, there are some for using a modified drill to spray light weight cobwebs but they don't look like the webs are made to last.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #418 on: April 25, 2016, 06:06:26 pm »

I've seen another method of web-spinning on some prop forums involving a hot-glue gun with a high-pressure air nozzle directed to the outlet where the hot-glue comes out (looks like the nozzle arrangement on some of the larger airbrush/sprayguns... I'll dig out a pic if required).
I may have seen a video of one of these working, or perhaps on Bairdvision, and it seems to work brilliantly- if you have a whole castle to cobweb  Grin. And it needs an air supply from a compressor to shoot the hot-glue out in a fine stream.

However, I haven't tried it yet, even at a smaller scale, as I don't seem to get on with hot glue guns...  Angry

HP

Perhaps it's time *we* came up with a self-contained version- in brass, of course?

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #419 on: April 25, 2016, 09:44:33 pm »

I've seen another method of web-spinning on some prop forums involving a hot-glue gun with a high-pressure air nozzle directed to the outlet where the hot-glue comes out (looks like the nozzle arrangement on some of the larger airbrush/sprayguns... I'll dig out a pic if required).
I may have seen a video of one of these working, or perhaps on Bairdvision, and it seems to work brilliantly- if you have a whole castle to cobweb  Grin. And it needs an air supply from a compressor to shoot the hot-glue out in a fine stream.

However, I haven't tried it yet, even at a smaller scale, as I don't seem to get on with hot glue guns...  Angry

HP

Perhaps it's time *we* came up with a self-contained version- in brass, of course?

That sounds less an artistic tool than an anti-personel weapon...  Roll Eyes

Yours,
Miranda.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #420 on: April 25, 2016, 10:12:34 pm »

Heehee's at the comments.

I know there's a great technique for making normal cobwebs using an airbrush and contact cement. But not really applicable in my case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTaeOT9Uswk

I have some latex here that I'm going to apply later. I should just experiment a bit.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #421 on: April 26, 2016, 11:19:29 am »

Adding the second egg sac tonight. It's turning into a Lovecraft Christmas tree! Smiley

Not sure if you can see it well, but I'l also adding flocking to the eggs, to give them a slightly fuzzy look. I'll probably touch it up a bit once all the lines are attached and taut. As you can see, a lot of strands are still loose. In hindsight I wish I'd added some weight to the eggs, so they'd keep a little tension on the lines.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:44:32 pm by Herbert West » Logged
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #422 on: April 26, 2016, 12:13:09 pm »

If it's going to be a Christmas tree it would be easier to add your eldritch lights at this stage, before you do any more web.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #423 on: April 27, 2016, 07:04:32 am »

*Punches self in head upon realizing that I have a whole drawer of thin plastic strips, large paperclips, and old tapestry needles that would stay a lot straighter and offer more support than fishing line!* Heck,I'm going to cover them with latex anyway.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:08:06 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #424 on: April 27, 2016, 05:52:33 pm »

This is starting to look wonderfully disquietening. Will there be a tentacle, spindly leg or eyestalk starting to peep out of one of the eggs?

Yours,
Mirana.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: