The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2018, 08:21:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few of my humble Lovecraftian creations (photo heavy)  (Read 42843 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #325 on: September 24, 2015, 09:52:46 pm »

It is so nice that you are creating a complete story and not just a piece.  Well done.

Seconded.

I see nothing "humble" at all about the quality of your craft, sir.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #326 on: September 25, 2015, 01:39:15 am »

I like the back stories - they "add verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative". That is, it is easier to believe in such a tool when it is combined with scraps of journal and a funeral announcement. I assume that a weathered copy of the announcement torn from a newspaper will be included?
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #327 on: September 25, 2015, 06:07:22 pm »

Probably a good idea Banfili. I'll look into it when I get back from the con.

These were both such minor pieces that I felt silly even bothering to share them. But I figured if I combined them and added a back story thy might at least be worth noticing.

Sadly I've been in a creative slump lately. I'm rather hoping the con this weekend will inpire me to do more items.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #328 on: September 25, 2015, 07:13:12 pm »

Ah, we shall mourn the unfortunate professor. Do you think a follow-up expedition will be launched and new artifacts found? If so, I look forward to seeing them; my curiosity is piqued as to the "hungry giants of the earth"...

Yours,
Miranda.
Raphael Garibaldi
Swab

« Reply #329 on: September 25, 2015, 09:58:43 pm »

Dear Mr. West,

Seconded that there is nothing "humble" about your work.  Thank you for your photos.  You've inspired me.

I am planning a Steampunk Murder Mystery Dinner to be hosted at my home in February.  I plan to avail myself of not only Propnomicon, but also the HPLHS Free Prop Documents archive.

Regards,
Raphael
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2015, 01:58:47 am »

Mr West, I hope the second expedition finds not only the missing professor and his expedition staff but also their mummified remains shrunken to toy size by "the hungry giants of the earth"!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #331 on: September 29, 2015, 06:50:35 am »

Well I took your comment to heart, and redid it overnight, printing out a set of Cicada wings onto printable plastic film, spritzed it with transluscent brown spray, and glued them in place. I also added more hair, and updated the name tag.  So it's more of a traditional fairy now. Better?

Seriously creepy!  (that's a complement)

Your pieces look real.  Very impressive.
ewoudo
Gunner
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #332 on: October 02, 2015, 09:22:37 am »

WOW! some very nice creations good sir!

specially love the creatures and monsters..
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #333 on: October 10, 2015, 07:53:49 am »

As always, thanks for the kind words everyone.

A bit off topic, but I wanted to make a film recommendation. Final Prayer (aka The Borderlands in the UK). Despite having the usual boring horror film jump scares throughout, that makes it feel like a standard angry ghost or demon story, the ending propels it straight into HPL story.

Its helped by the fact that it features intelligent adults rather than stupid teenagers. But yes, very atmospheric and creepy. I give it two thumbs up.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #334 on: October 10, 2015, 06:34:46 pm »

So much amazing work. I have never read H P Lovecraft's works, and now am quite inspired to do so. Thanks for the kick in the butt.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #335 on: October 11, 2015, 12:43:44 am »

You definitely should.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #336 on: October 11, 2015, 07:57:39 am »

As a suggestion for insect or faerie wings in the future:  my father and I both tie flies for fly fishing. He designed an Eastern Cicada pattern with veined wings (btw, trout cant get enough during cicada season). He took a piece of scotch tape and laid out pieces of thread across the tape so that they looked like veins, then placed tape onthe other side. He attached them, then cut them to shape, sealing the edges with head cement (a clear shellack coating type thing that seals everytging up nice. Clear nail polish works, too.)

Thought you may find the idea useful.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #337 on: October 11, 2015, 11:02:08 am »

You definitely should.

...The reading or the butt kicking?  Wink
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #338 on: October 11, 2015, 04:18:24 pm »

You definitely should.

...The reading or the butt kicking?  Wink

Yes.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #339 on: October 11, 2015, 05:30:52 pm »

Grin
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #340 on: October 12, 2015, 12:39:39 am »

Thanks for the idea Mr Ratchet!

Well theres your answer. Smiley
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #341 on: October 12, 2015, 02:20:06 pm »

Smiley

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2015, 01:37:39 pm »

So dissapointed at how few decent supernatural horror films there are to be found for a Lovecraft fan. I paid $10 last night to watch a film called "As Above, So Below". It sounded promising. Exploring lost tunnels beneath the Paris Catacombs.  They spend 90 minutes exploring dark tunnels run into a what I suppose are supposed to be representations of their personal fears, a few people are killed by people in scary, then they find a way out.

I suppose if you're into psychology, or are claustrophobic you might get something from it. Otherwise don't bother. It's basically a Halloween haunted house on film.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:13:54 am by Herbert West » Logged
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #343 on: October 13, 2015, 07:37:14 pm »

So dissapointed at how few inspirational supernatural films there are to be found. I paid $10 to watch a film called "As Above, So Below" involving exploring lost tunnels beneath the Paris Catacombs. Meh. They run into a what I suppose are their own personal fears, a few people die, then they're back out.

I suppose if you're into psycology, or are claustrophobic you  might get something from it. therwise don't bother.

Although it may fit better in another branch of the board, I can recommend The Lovecraft E-zine for reviews and recommendations of all things HPL and creepy. Well worth a look.

http://lovecraftzine.com/

I'm not affiliated, just a regular reader  Smiley

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #344 on: October 14, 2015, 12:20:14 am »

Although it may fit better in another branch of the board, I can recommend The Lovecraft E-zine for reviews and recommendations of all things HPL and creepy. Well worth a look.

http://lovecraftzine.com/

I'm not affiliated, just a regular reader  Smiley

HP

I see it promoting itself on my Facebook timeline all the time.I'll have to have a look.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #345 on: October 31, 2015, 03:22:21 pm »

So dissapointed at how few decent supernatural horror films there are to be found for a Lovecraft fan. I paid $10 last night to watch a film called "As Above, So Below". It sounded promising. Exploring lost tunnels beneath the Paris Catacombs.  They spend 90 minutes exploring dark tunnels run into a what I suppose are supposed to be representations of their personal fears, a few people are killed by people in scary, then they find a way out.

I suppose if you're into psychology, or are claustrophobic you might get something from it. Otherwise don't bother. It's basically a Halloween haunted house on film.

Do you know about these people?  http://www.cthulhulives.org/HPLHSPress/PressIndex.html

Their The Call of Cthulhu is quite intriguing, having filmed it as a silent movie, with stop-motion animation.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #346 on: December 24, 2015, 12:59:21 pm »

Apologies for my long absence. Creative slumps are the worst. But I'm back again with yet another mummified hand. This time quite literally. Smiley

So far I only have WiP shots, but I hope it might be inspirational for some of my fellow creators.

I started out with part of a plastic skeleton I picked up at a Halloween store back in October. It was part of a door wreath which set me back $20. A bit pricey, but after dissasembly I ended up with two arms, two legs, a skull face, and a couple of pulsing red LED's. All of which will be useful for later projects.
 The fingers were originally straight  but using a Dremel to add slots between the fingers, then using a heat gun, and careful bending, I got the hand into a suitable claw-like pose.

Next, I trimmed the stump, drilled out a hole and used a steel bolt to attach the hand down to a wooden plaque. Then I proceeded to use a new technique for me which involved unrolling cotton balls and applying liquid latex with a brush. I'm told its a technique that the pro's use.

It's taken several layers of latex, and several days of applying and drying to get a decent amount of 'meat' on the arm, and work continues. Since the hand needed knuckles and tendons, I applyed them with lumps of epoxy putty. They don't have to be neat, I just need the rough shapes that I can cover with more cotton and latex.

While the hand is drying, I decided to start on the wrappings. I picked up a yard of linen from the fabric store (it occurred to me later that I probably could have saved myself a pretty penny by just buying packs of linen handkerchiefs) which I cut into strips and tacked down onto a painting surface.

Then I gave then a healthy coat of Glossy Wood Tone, my very favorite paint for giving things a brown aged look. Add to that a dusting with brown paint, and a light brushing of my old friend, the steel wool/vinegar solution. I may experiment with coffee or tea staining later.

Heres a sample of real mummy wrappings to show the effect I need.

Once the arm is wrapped, I'll give it a dusting with pastels and acrylic weathering.

So that's all I have thus far. What do you think sirs?

Do you know about these people?  http://www.cthulhulives.org/HPLHSPress/PressIndex.html

Their The Call of Cthulhu is quite intriguing, having filmed it as a silent movie, with stop-motion animation.

Indeed I do. I have it on dvd. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 01:12:53 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #347 on: December 24, 2015, 03:01:47 pm »

I like the fact that you can take something rather plain and after a while you turn it into a piece
with a great deal of subtleness and attention!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #348 on: December 26, 2015, 11:41:52 pm »

Disturbingly real, Mr West. I await completion with interest.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #349 on: December 27, 2015, 01:41:55 pm »

I believe I have enough meat on the bones that I can start drybrush some brown and fleshtones on it soon. Then the fun part. Wrapping. I also need to create a few small burial amulets to insert into the bindings.

And finally I have to finish up the background story, describing the arm as a remnant of one of the mummy bodyguards who avenge the disturbance of the burial place of the Black Pharaoh Nephren-Ka.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:28:42 am by Herbert West » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: