The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2018, 08:54:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few of my humble Lovecraftian creations (photo heavy)  (Read 42846 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2015, 06:14:15 pm »

Maybe. It's a problem i'll have to play with for a later piece.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #301 on: May 21, 2015, 06:38:21 pm »

A heat gun or hair dryer might warp the wings enough to look like they shriveled in mummification. I use candles a lot to age things, but I think that would end very poorly if you tried it on those wings.

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2015, 08:14:07 pm »

That was meant as a compliment.  I have seen insects that shrivelled leaving the wing structure intact until you tried picking them up.  Careful mounting so as to leave the wings intact is impressive.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #303 on: May 22, 2015, 03:14:53 am »

The whole key to something like this build is the "reality factor".  You want someone to look at it and for a moment or more think it is REAL.  I think the new wings give that were the maple seeds didn't.  I think as it stands now a lot of people on seeing it will believe, if only for a moment, "Hey that thing is real"

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #304 on: May 22, 2015, 03:36:01 am »

Thanks Maet's. I confess I was a bit disheartened by your comment at first. But, I thought about it, and decided to take your advice. I like it better now.

In other news, the customer won't be able to pick up the piece til Monday, so I have til then to experiment. Thankfully I have an extra wing I can play with. I'm also planning to use a thin brush and go over some of the wing veins with some clear matte varnish. Maybe try and give them a raised look.

If all else fails, I can always make a note in the description that the wings are made of a surprisingly tough chitinous material that resists tearing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:38:14 am by Herbert West » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #305 on: May 22, 2015, 12:33:07 pm »

Well, I never knew that about fairy wings, but then, they have to made of tough stuff to cope with the amount of work they do.
Excellent work, Mr West.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #306 on: May 22, 2015, 12:41:38 pm »

That was meant as a compliment.  I have seen insects that shrivelled leaving the wing structure intact until you tried picking them up.  Careful mounting so as to leave the wings intact is impressive.

I think Walking Stick has it right about insect wings.  The wings on an insect are long since dead.  The body which was alive will decay but the wings stay as they were.

Thanks Maet's. I confess I was a bit disheartened by your comment at first. But, I thought about it, and decided to take your advice. I like it better now.

Good to  hear.  Hoping to make BG Tactile a place for positive criticism.  Comments are hard to get and then usually just "Nice" or "Great work" or some such.  Best to have a give and take and in the end hopefully better results.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #307 on: May 22, 2015, 08:17:18 pm »

Sorry that I misunderstood Mr Stick. Thank you.   Smiley

And thanks to you too Maets. I admit low self-confidence is one of my problems, and that day had been a bad one in general. But usually if I think about peoples constructive criticism, I'll admit they're probably right.

No luck so far weathering the wings. The trouble with this type of plastic is if you gouge or cut it, it turns white rather than tearing cleanly.
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #308 on: May 23, 2015, 12:55:04 am »

They look beautiful. Could you physically crumple them a bit perhaps?

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2015, 03:19:04 am »

In retrospect, that's true, most of the insect specimens I've seen have had wings that were pretty much the same as a live insect's.

I think your customer will be very happy, the piece looks very nice.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #310 on: May 23, 2015, 03:44:08 am »

I'm not sure about crumpling them, as most insect wings tend to snap rather than fold over. This plastic also doesn't take creasing very well.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #311 on: May 23, 2015, 11:18:37 pm »

Anyone who's read Cherie Priest's novel Maplecroft should get this one.

Seakrits
Deck Hand

« Reply #312 on: May 23, 2015, 11:21:31 pm »

I have not read the novel, but I like this. How did you get it to glow?

I do NOT march to the beat of a different drum, I waddle to the off beat flaps of a kazoo.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #313 on: May 23, 2015, 11:45:08 pm »

I have not read the novel, but I like this. How did you get it to glow?

Taped a green LED to a watch battery and hid it in the stack. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:03:26 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #314 on: May 24, 2015, 01:44:30 pm »

I have been more sporadic with my viewing on here, as of late, and missed these. Sad

Herbert, you have the imagination and creativity to be able to make things that seem complex in how they may be assembled together, but in reality just take being able to see things differently. I like to make things, but, generally, don't  know what materials can be used for this or that so I usually go the harder route. For instance, I would have carved out the body from something (?) and here you cover it with tissue paper and it looks great! And the head, too, same thing.
Now, I usually find interesting ways in which an item can be used, just not better/easier ways to do it.

You're making me stop and think more. And I like it!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2015, 10:02:27 pm »

Aww thanks Drew, I really appreciate the kind words. I'm on a fixed income currently, and have to do most of my projects on a budget. Fortunately there are lots of places like Propnomicon, and Stiltbeast  Studios (along with the whole Homemade Haunts community) on Youtube that have provided tons of inspiraton.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2015, 04:40:29 am »

I used to follow Propnom a few back, but have lost touch...sooooo much to do and learn, sooo little time.
Thanks, I should get back into it to re-educate myself.

Some of the things you've done make me go 'duh, why did I...'
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #317 on: May 26, 2015, 09:06:24 am »

I used to follow Propnom a few back, but have lost touch...sooooo much to do and learn, sooo little time.
Thanks, I should get back into it to re-educate myself.

Some of the things you've done make me go 'duh, why did I...'

He was offline for about 2 months(?) but just recently re-started up the daily updates. I have to say I've learned most of my crafting tricks from his site. I'm a big fan, even if he doesn't care for steampunk and posts way too many Cthulhu statues. Wink
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:01:28 am by Herbert West » Logged
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #318 on: May 27, 2015, 09:45:30 am »

Good to  hear.  Hoping to make BG Tactile a place for positive criticism.  Comments are hard to get and then usually just "Nice" or "Great work" or some such.  Best to have a give and take and in the end hopefully better results.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Meant to come back and touch on this. Indeed, I have been noticing how difficult is is to get comments and feedback here, and on DeviantArt. Lately I've been mostly postign photos of my work on a Facebook Makers group, where I can get more comments in a day than I can here in a week.

Not that I'm not intensely grateful to those of you who do express your opinions. Thank you.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #319 on: May 27, 2015, 12:20:22 pm »

Facepalm Makers group?! Hmmmmm, I need to look into this.
Thank you.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #320 on: May 27, 2015, 01:26:10 pm »

I too need to look into this.  Is there a link?
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #321 on: May 27, 2015, 01:46:25 pm »

Soitenly. The groups I frequent most often are Steampunk Makers Workshop, Steampunk  Tendencies, and The Steampunk Gun Club.

I go by my real name Phil Bolton if anyones interested in adding to their Friends list.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:49:00 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #322 on: May 27, 2015, 05:41:12 pm »

That is a wonderful collection of nasty little sundries your amassing there sir. I am most jealous of your occult collection.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #323 on: September 24, 2015, 07:57:47 pm »

Memorial services for missing Professor scheduled.

Memorial services will take place at the University Chapel on Friday for Professor Arthur Mayfield of the Archaeology department, missing and presumed killed while on a field expedition in Afghanistan.
Not much information has been revealed about the professors trip to the fabled caves of N'kai in northern Afghanistan. He and two assistants not associated with the university were first reported missing in May of 1967.
   Due to local native unrest a rescue mission was unable to make it to the region until August, finding only a few ruined pieces of equipment about a hundred yards inside the cave, a torn backpack pack, and a makeshift dagger or digging tool formed from the tooth or claw of some unknown beast wrapped in surveyors twine. A few small scraps of a logbook were also recovered, though only partially legible. It included vague references to "the hungry giants of the earth ", and "hordes of screaming cadavers". The rest of the notes were lost, having been used to build a small fire.
   A few scratches on the sandy floor were identified, signs of a possible struggle. But further searching of the cave was impossible due to a recent cave-in that completely sealed the entrance.
There are no plans for future expeditions at this time, due to the improbability of finding any survivors at such a late date.
   No further information on the items that were found at the location are currently available. Interested parties may of course contact the Deans office.

-- Excerpt from The Miskatonic Register. Oct 18th, 1967 edition.

Just a couple of quickie creations. The logbook was made using a design downloaded from Propnomicon. Then I just cut up some printer paper and sticked it together into a little booklet.

The tool is just a crappy toy dinosaur claw that I painted, weathered, and bound up with string. Combined, they probably took two hours to make.
  Sorry for the lack of output recently. I very much hope that going to Steamcon this weekend will get the creative juices (eww) flowing again.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:39:50 am by Herbert West » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #324 on: September 24, 2015, 09:40:18 pm »

It is so nice that you are creating a complete story and not just a piece.  Well done.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: