The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 25, 2020, 08:19:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few of my humble Lovecraftian creations (photo heavy)  (Read 54884 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2014, 08:49:18 pm »

I don't recall offhand. I do use these a lot though.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/toybox/propdocs/propfonts.html

Googling "handwriting fonts" brings up some interesting stuff too.

Check out Propnomicon's blog too. He has a few links to downloadable "alien fonts".

Does that help?

Mr. West, if I may ask, what fonts do you use for type on the pieces of paper that come with the boxes?

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2014, 09:28:59 pm »

Yes extremely! Thank you Mr. West!

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #227 on: April 20, 2014, 02:39:58 am »

Sorry I haven't had anything new to share of late. Been concentrating on goggles, and a modded Nerf gun.

But I thought you might like to see my biggest customers Cabinet of Curiosities in their dining room that features a lot of my pieces.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2014, 03:28:32 am »

Another day, another blasphemous tome. This one dedicated to the five armed God of Rust.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:40:17 am by Herbert West » Logged
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2014, 04:26:13 am »

Brilliant work as always, love how prolific you are Smiley

First pants... then shoes
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2014, 09:45:34 am »

Thank you sir.  Although it doesn't show, its hollow inside for carrying small items with me at cons. I'm considering adding some sort of strap to keep it closed if I can figure out where to attach it. I tried inserting a couple of rare earth magnets under the pages, but unfortunately I made the page block a little too distorted so it won't close flat. What did work as intended is a third magnet I hid in the spine to keep the key in position.

If anyones interested in the back story, its all on my DeviantArt page.  http://herbertw.deviantart.com/
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2014, 07:49:34 pm »

I'm considering adding some sort of strap to keep it closed if I can figure out where to attach it.

Have you considered simply synching a leather belt around it the way schoolchildren did to carry their books in the pre-backpack/satchel days?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2014, 12:19:51 am »

Have you considered simply synching a leather belt around it the way schoolchildren did to carry their books in the pre-backpack/satchel days?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh there's a thought. Lord knows I have plenty of leather and buckles from my goggle making. I could even slip a Miskatonic logbook in there, and I won't have to worry so much about the rust texture rubbing off.

Thanks for the suggestion sir.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2014, 11:59:08 am »

Been awhile since I've done any relics. Found a set of crappy plastic keys at Michael's for a couple of dollars. Took a few hours to scrap all the encrusted black glitter off but with a layer of black spray paint, some steel rings from the hardware store, and some careful drybrushing, I came up with three keys that would make old Joseph Curwen proud.

As always, more details available over on my DeviantArt page.  http://herbertw.deviantart.com/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:49:53 am by Herbert West » Logged
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #234 on: October 19, 2014, 08:29:16 am »

Been awhile since I've done any relics. Found a set of crappy plastic keys at Michael's for a couple of dollars. Took a few hours to scrap all the encrusted black glitter off but with a layer of black spray paint, some steel rings from the hardware store, and some careful drybrushing, I came up with three keys that would make old Joseph Curwen proud.

As always, more details available over on my DeviantArt page.  http://herbertw.deviantart.com/

Looks good Mr. West, I like the rust effect

That glitter that's on everything seasonal there is a disaster. I used to be seasonal lead at one of the Michael's stores near me about ten years ago and I'd come home from a shift with pockets full of the stuff that had sloughed off.

On a related note, last time I was at my local Michaels (about a week or two back) there were some decent metal skeleton keys (probably pewter or something) in their impulse bins near the checkout for a couple bucks a piece
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #235 on: October 19, 2014, 12:27:21 pm »

Lord yes, that stuff is evil. Like black sand everywhere. A shame the glue isn't water soluble, but the only way I could find to get rid of it was physically scraping it off.

I've actually got a good collection of old metal skeleton and clock winding keys, so I'm good there. But I've always loved those giant, medieval dungeon/crypt keys. So I was thrilled to find these. I need to go back and pick up some more.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:51:50 am by Herbert West » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #236 on: October 19, 2014, 05:42:56 pm »

I saw a bunch of zinc keys on ebay a few days ago.  They look like brass.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2015, 05:06:49 am »

My goodness its been awhile hasn't it? Well I recently felt inspired to make a prop from a $3 cake decorator. A nice little prop from the mad scientists toolbag.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:44:21 am by Herbert West » Logged
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2015, 02:31:37 pm »

Cool

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Sigmund Shaw
Deck Hand

The Yard has been notified.

« Reply #239 on: March 09, 2015, 12:12:33 pm »

Terrifying and wonderful!  The detailed work payed off - it all looks real.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #240 on: March 10, 2015, 06:36:55 am »

Thank you kind sir. The best part? Someone bought it for $45. Smiley

Been playing a lot of Darkest Dungeon lately, and I have this urge to find some small glass bottles and make poison darts.

I guess I can start by going and buying a cheap dart set for the fins.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #241 on: March 15, 2015, 11:17:53 am »

Mythos meets high tech. After much back ad forth online, and replacing parts, my roomie has finally managed to get his laser etcher/cutter into a controllable state, and was able to etch this design into a wooden box lid for me. Still planning to stain and lacquer it at some point, and will share the results then.

The question remains, should I use a tan or reddish stain, or go fancy with gold paint?

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #242 on: March 15, 2015, 02:10:09 pm »

The black and gold look great!
*wish I had a friend with a laser etcher* Sad
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2015, 02:02:55 am »

Loving all of these things! Very inspirational.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #244 on: March 17, 2015, 04:51:35 pm »

Wow, that looks really great! I like your work a lot.  Lovecraft was able to write the world he conceived into reality via the vector of the written word, You have the gift of accurate translation in the visual medium. As for the paint, the gold gets my vote.

"Of all the fishes in the sea, my favourite is the bass. He climbs up on the tall sea weed, and slides down on his hands and knees."
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2015, 06:08:48 pm »

Looks great the way it is.  I can see it either with the red or with gold, so I am of no help.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2015, 05:25:39 am »

While its hard to been a good, modern electric torch for exploring swamps, storming secret subterranean dens, investigating forgotten burying grounds, or dank caverns. Sometimes you just have to rely on a good, old-fashioned lantern.

Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2015, 05:48:26 pm »

I like that lantern. Ok, spill the beans.  How did you come across such a fine lantern? Did you construct it piece by piece, or did you discover something entire,  from the modern world, and via your alchemical mysteries reconstitute it into it's current form?
Maxwell Grantly
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Author and Illustrator

@MaxwellGrantly
« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2015, 06:01:44 pm »

I do love the lantern too. Candle light is always a magical way of illuminating something.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #249 on: March 30, 2015, 11:08:56 pm »

Thank you kind people. It was $20 at Michael's craft store. All I did was varnish the wood, repaint the metal lid with metallic and rust colors, cu a hole in the bottom to hold the candle, sprayed a bit off matte finish on the glass to smudge it a bit, then replaced the puny metal ring on top with a big steel one I found at a local feed store.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: