The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 20, 2019, 05:43:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few of my humble Lovecraftian creations (photo heavy)  (Read 48949 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2012, 05:14:09 am »

Yes you should do you have a link to Aves web site?   If the  you do not like the chalkiness of the sculpy you Really need to try the super sculpy.  The chalkiness is why I can not stand plan sculpy.     Also as a sculptor remember Smooth is a texture and it is the hardest texture to make look right.  Another tip do not try and go straight from the rough sculp to a smooth texture.  Use a medium texture in between before going to a smooth texture.  I have often found I even like a light texture better than smooth. 

JJ

I really do appreciate your suggestions. Once I manage to hopefully sell a piece, I can invest in some of the stuff. I did find something similar on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Sculpt-White-Epoxy-Clay/dp/B003AL7I1A/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1356061592&sr=8-8&keywords=epoxy+clay

You're right about the texture thing. Something I need to learn. But at least in this case, the coating of polyurethane helps strengthen the tentacles.

So I've got everything painted, and tonight I start applying the tissue and white glue outer skin.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Ravenson
Officer

« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2012, 02:53:50 am »

Hey it is all about learning and experimenting when it comes to materials.     I have tried Magic Sculp but it was a while ago and I do not remember liking it...I think it was the texture or maybe it was to sticky.  Any ways if you look at the Price it is cheaper before shipping for 5 or 4 ponds of magic sculp or Apoxy sculp on amazon than for 5 pounds of super sculpy.   One thing you is try as may as you can they are all similar but a little different so some people like one better than the other.  Also when switching from polymer clay to the epoxy clay there is a learning curve.  I compleatly understand the money thing. Thankfully my last show and etsy has been good to me this year so I have been able to keep myself in materials.   I am wanting to try the new epoxy clay from Smooth-on....I think it is called free form Earth.....I tried the Free form Air and it is interesting,  I would not want to use it all the time but there are some really good uses for it.

JJ   
Jimmeh
Gunner
South Africa South Africa

function is more important than aestetics

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2012, 05:49:22 pm »

i'm reasonably new to steampunk i've been lurking on various forums for a while now but these creations dear sir have inspired me to start reading lovecrafts works i've just downloaded "An_HP_Lovecraft_Anthology_1000915139" from www.forgottenbooks.org I've read a few but im loving it also you've inspired me to work harder on my own feeble attempts at steampunk related crafts. sorry for being off topic and for my lack of punctuation 

"What good is a gun that doesn't shoot bullets?"
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2012, 09:14:02 pm »

I wonder if there's a site anywhere that compares the various brands of epoxy clay? This is a one-shot affair as I don't have the budget to buy and compare.

As for the creature, its been skinned with glue and tissue paper, with liquid latex stippled on the tentacles to add some light texture. for now the problem is gettin a good color. I've layered various shades of brown and tan, but it still looks very splotchy and unrealistic. I'm thinking my next effort should be a solid translucent color to blend everything.

i'm reasonably new to steampunk i've been lurking on various forums for a while now but these creations dear sir have inspired me to start reading lovecrafts works i've just downloaded "An_HP_Lovecraft_Anthology_1000915139" from www.forgottenbooks.org I've read a few but im loving it also you've inspired me to work harder on my own feeble attempts at steampunk related crafts. sorry for being off topic and for my lack of punctuation  

No need to apologize sir, and welcome to the board! Howard's works are wonderful things aren't they?
The main reason I love these props is because unlike a lot of crafts, precision and neatness aren't required. Heck, havign them appear broken, dirty, or off-center just adds to their appeal. Of course, making them look authentically filthy has its own set of challenges. I do hope that once you've created something that you'll share it with us.

And since I hadn't mentioned it lately, http://propnomicon.blogspot.com/ should be your one-stop reference for all sorts of creepy and fantasy props and art creations.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:15:47 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Jimmeh
Gunner

« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2012, 08:25:29 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
just a couple of the things i've been working on, the sewing machine has lost its manual ages ago and no one seems to know how it fits together. the lamp i've built from a brasso tin and baby food bottle,sand blasted to frost the glass, the next step is to etch some symbols on the glass probably from the key of Solomon or something similar. the machette im busy putting a maple handle on, its taking a while to shape and polish, sorry that noe of its particilarly lovecraftian i dont mean to hijack your thread.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:52:22 am by Jimmeh » Logged
Jimmeh
Gunner

« Reply #130 on: December 24, 2012, 08:27:55 am »

hmmm. they didnt come out:( to the help thread!!!

after some study i've discoverd that i need to post to the net then to the forum. to photobucket!!!!

hahaha fixed!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:52:45 am by Jimmeh » Logged
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2013, 10:15:50 am »

Looks great so far Jimmeh! Keep it up!

Hmmm, any thoughts on a product called Aqua-Resin? Some friends gifted be with a tub of the stuff, which comes as a powder and a liquid.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:50:42 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Ravenson
Officer

« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2013, 09:00:56 pm »

I have heard of it but never gotten to play with it.  I would be interested in what you think of it once you have tried it.

JJ
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2013, 04:18:46 pm »

The face in a box is finished! Now all I need is to get outside so I can snap some decent photos of the thing. Sadly, trying to snap photos with my ancient camera using flash and indoor lighting gives me some pretty poor results. If I'm going to try and sell this I'm going to want the best images possible.
Ravenson
Officer

« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2013, 08:40:57 pm »

A couple years back I picked up a $40 light box cube off of ebay.  Some of the best money I have ever spent.  It really helps your pictures.  I also picked up a nice Nikon D60 digital camera a year or two ago. It has been worth every penny I saved and spent on it.    I Look forward to seeing the pictures of your finished piece.

Jeff
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2013, 09:34:18 pm »

If your looking for a reasonably good and cheap camera, I highly recommend the Canon PowerShot Elph 110 HS - 16.1 Mega Pixels, good HD video, low light and most important easy to set the white balance so the lights you are using don't matter that much.  I got mine at Best Buy for $120 new.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2013, 06:06:39 am »

Thanks for the tips guys.

Finally the beast is complete! It doesn't show well in these shots, but 2-part epoxy makes a fairly convincing clear mucus.

You can visit my gallery for full text descriptions of each photo.

http://herbertw.deviantart.com/gallery/

Now if I can just find a buyer.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2013, 05:37:37 pm »

Came out nicely. Well done.
Ravenson
Officer

« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2013, 09:19:47 pm »

I really Like it.  Ahh Finding the buyer....that is often the most exciting part.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2013, 10:08:35 pm »

Just looking at the website.  Nice collection of work.

The Thing in a Box 1 looks wet.  Was that just for the photo or is there something that makes it look that way without being wet???
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:11:51 pm by Maets » Logged
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2013, 11:24:39 pm »

Just looking at the website.  Nice collection of work.

The Thing in a Box 1 looks wet.  Was that just for the photo or is there something that makes it look that way without being wet???

On that one I drizzled a bit of clear casting epoxy. I did the same with 2-part epoxy on this new one, it just doesn't show well in these shots.

Shows up better in this one.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:28:32 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:19 pm »

I love the entourage in your pictures!

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2013, 03:35:48 pm »

Well that's just great. Somebodies been stealing starter plants from the Miskatonic greenhouse!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:30:51 am by Herbert West » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2013, 04:08:49 pm »

Nice and they never need water.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2013, 06:10:53 pm »

very awesome. I got for Christmas HP Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction. Its great. Its all his stories even the ones not dealing with elder horrors or the like. Its probably my fave present this year or right up there. Every time I read I think about what sort of Lovecraftian creations I could make
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2013, 04:31:33 am »

Nice and they never need water.

Maybe a finger, or small rodent once in awhile...
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2013, 05:30:13 am »

very awesome. I got for Christmas HP Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction. Its great. Its all his stories even the ones not dealing with elder horrors or the like. Its probably my fave present this year or right up there. Every time I read I think about what sort of Lovecraftian creations I could make

That's cool Titan. Welcome to the wonderful world of the mythos!

And next from the garden, a cookie to whoever can tell me what movie this plant is from.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:16 am »

That would be The Thing From Another World, Christian Nyby and Charles Lederer's 1951 adaptation of John Campbell's Who Goes There? (Necessarily a loose adaptation, due to the limitations of special effects of the time.) I seem to recall that the giant walking vampire asparagus was played by Gunsmoke's James Arness.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2013, 11:22:05 am »

Well spotted sir. Here's your cookie. Smiley

Only regret that I couldn't make them breathe.

Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2013, 11:24:36 pm »

That's cool Titan. Welcome to the wonderful world of the mythos!

heck in a D&D pathfinder campaign I currently serve a lovecraftian horror as my deity lol. If this char dies gonna make another that serves also but carries a bound leather book that he keeps others from reading and stuff lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: