The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 19, 2014, 12:50:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 47244 times)
kungfooey
Gunner
United States United States

kungfooey
« Reply #400 on: February 18, 2012, 03:13:03 pm »

'Dr. Eckener's Dream Machine' by Douglas Botting. I've only just started it but it seems really interesting after only the first few pages.
Capt. Dirigible
Time Traveler
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #401 on: February 21, 2012, 05:14:18 pm »

Just finished the third (and concluding?) volume in Mark Hodder's 'Burton & Swinburne' trilogy, 'Expedition To The Mountains Of The Moon'.

WOW!...Just....WOW!
Can't really see how he can continue the story arc so I'm guessing this is the conclusion but I'd love to read more adventures set in the wonderful alternate past he created for these amazing books.

I am infomed by a work colleague that I would really enjoy the Flashman books so I think it's time I  checked those out...

EDIT:

Hugely relieved to read the following in an interview with Mark Hodder:

This trilogy is set predominantly the 1860s. I have plans for a second trilogy, based in the same alternate universe, but taking place at the turn of the century (hint: the First World War starts early and some characters are not when they should be).
Also, if there’s a demand for it, I’d be happy to return to the 1860s for further adventures of Burton & Swinburne in “Albertian Britain.” I’d really like to do a “casebook” of shorter tales. Wouldn’t you like to know more about The Case of the Polite Parakeet?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:30:41 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Captain
Italy Italy

« Reply #402 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:12 pm »

I received a kindle for my birthday and I've been busy filling it with free classics and all the steamy goodness that I can't buy in the stores here!

Just finished Johannes Cabal: The Fear Institute, which was absolutely great, and I'm now heading through The Martian Ambassador by Alan Baker.

Enjoyable, but the editing isn't great and the constant references to the 'oesophageal tract' have been getting my hackles up. The first couple of times irked me, but then I just thought perhaps I didn't understand it. Until it was referred to as connecting the gills to the lungs. Gaaaaah!

Come on, a tiny bit of research please. The trachea connects to the lungs, the  oesophagus connects to the stomach.
neon_suntan
Rogue Ætherlord

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #403 on: February 22, 2012, 01:30:29 am »

'Dr. Eckener's Dream Machine' by Douglas Botting. I've only just started it but it seems really interesting after only the first few pages.

An excellent book and very well written.

I've just started Hilldiggers by Neal Asher with Orbus, also by Neal Asher on the 'to-read' pile.

Whn I'm not reading I'm listening to "The Fall" the sequel to the Guillermo Del Toro/Chuck Hogan novel "The Strain"

James Harrison
Master Tinkerer
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #404 on: February 22, 2012, 07:44:33 pm »

I've just finished Stephen Hunt's Jackcloudie.  Gripping and fastpaced, an excellent addition to his Jackelian series of novels. 

I'm now reading Gary Staff's Battle of the Baltic Islands 1917- Operation Albion and how Russia was finally knocked out of World War One. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
OswaldBastable
Rogue Ætherlord

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #405 on: February 23, 2012, 02:18:02 am »

I'm currently about half way through Bernard Cornwells The Fort, I've still not quite decided if I like it or not; it seems more obviously based on direct sources of the period than he usually works with but the story doesnt flow as well most of his writing.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
maduncle
Rogue Ætherlord
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #406 on: February 23, 2012, 10:42:56 am »

I've just finished Stephen Hunt's Jackcloudie.  Gripping and fastpaced, an excellent addition to his Jackelian series of novels. 

I'm now reading Gary Staff's Battle of the Baltic Islands 1917- Operation Albion and how Russia was finally knocked out of World War One. 

Ah - good news about Jack Cloudie, I was thinking of picking that one up soon.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #407 on: February 24, 2012, 04:49:18 pm »

Just got my copy of Timeless, by Gail Carriger. I had to stop halfway through, as I want it to last longer. Alexia and the " infant inconvenience", Prudence, are amusing as ever. Lord Akeldama makes a wonderful Step-Parent.

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
James Harrison
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #408 on: February 26, 2012, 12:02:21 pm »

I finished A Study in Scarlet and started Retromancer last night.
Seaton Begg
Zeppelin Admiral

Anarcho-Dadaist

« Reply #409 on: February 26, 2012, 02:12:03 pm »

Short Stories, Short Plays and Songs by Noel Coward.

Dell Paperback 1st edition published in 1955. I found it in a local charity book sale Smiley

We shall bewilder the masses with seams in our trousers that could cut paper, trilbies angled so rakishly that traffic comes to a standstill; and by refusing the bland, watery substances that are foisted upon us by faceless corporations, we shall bring the establishment to its knees.
pakled
Zeppelin Overlord

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #410 on: March 03, 2012, 12:38:31 am »

Leviathan rising, part of the Pax Britannia series (or so I'm told, it's my first)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:55:23 am by pakled » Logged
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Overlord

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #411 on: March 03, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »

In genre: Shadows Over Baker Street. Sherlock Holmes vs Cthulhu stories. Includes Gaiman's "A Study in Emerald," which is even more fun on subsequent readings.

Also currently reading The Three Musketeers (because I always thought I knew what it was about, and I am finding I was wrong), Maelstrom, the third book in Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series (WWII destroyer is dimensionally slipped to an Earth where dinosaurs did not go extinct), some disposable David Weber novel, and I have bogged down about a third of the way through A Dance with Dragons.

I recently completed S. M. Stirling's two-book series set in a Burroughsian solar system - steaming jungle Venus with dinosaurs and cave men, ancient dying Mars with swordsmen and canals. Very fun.

Non-fiction includes a Churchill biography, a book on the personalities of the men responsible for American public policy leading up to our imperialistic expansin with the Spanish American war, and King Leopold's Ghost, about the horrors of the exploitation of Africa.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Admiral

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #412 on: March 03, 2012, 07:03:20 pm »

... Also currently reading The Three Musketeers (because I always thought I knew what it was about, and I am finding I was wrong)...

As often as that is the case, I'm always still surprised.

Done with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

EDIT:
Started The Hunger Games, it was practically forced on me, but so far it's acturally quite good. Very easy read (it was written for teens) so I'm about halfway through it. My only real complaint is how the dialog is formatted (There's nothing wrong with the dialog itself mind you), it's all:
"...," he says. "..."
"...," she says. "..."
instead of something like:
“…,” he suggests, “…”
“…,” she argues, “…"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:00:02 am by VampirateMace » Logged

pakled
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #413 on: March 11, 2012, 04:59:19 am »

Finally got the KGB book out of the way...whew...Wink

Niomi...er Naomi...uh (Novik) Tongues of Serpents. Latest installment of the Napoleonic wars fought with Dragons...Joe Bob sez check it out...Wink
Rockula
Immortal

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #414 on: March 11, 2012, 02:55:38 pm »

I've also just finished Mark Hodder's 'Expedition To The Mountains Of The Moon'. The best so far and I'm so glad that the author plans to return to this particular universe.

Chris Wooding's 'The Iron Jackal', another 3rd of a series and, again, the best so far. Looking forward to further trips on the Ketty Jay.

Now I'm starting Gail Carriger's 'Timeless', the 5th in the 'Parasol Protectorate' series.

I'm still waiting for Jonathan Green's latest to make it to paperback. I think I've got a long wait for that one. But at least Al Ewing has a new one set in the same 'Pax Britannia' universe due out soon.

And does anyone know if Toby Frost is going to do a 4th in the 'Space Captain Smith' books?

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
James Harrison
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #415 on: March 11, 2012, 03:54:50 pm »

Currently slowly working my way through "The Architecture of Deane and Woodward", after which I have my eyes firmly set on "The Sign of Four", or maybe Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars" trilogy. 
pakled
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #416 on: March 11, 2012, 11:54:55 pm »

I read the 'Mars' trilogy; but I think there's actually a couple of other books afterwards (hey, if Hitchhiker's Guide could be a 'trilogy'...)
  They were good, as far as I remember. They get political at times, but what doesn't?
Maxwell B. Cooper
Officer

Imitation shows a lack of imagination.

« Reply #417 on: March 12, 2012, 12:09:35 am »

I've just finished 'The Steampunk Detective' by Darrell Pitt. It's a good read filled with many nods to Sherlock Holmes, for example the main character is called Ignatius Doyle.  Smiley

A good scientist considers gravity a fundamental principle of the natural world, a great scientist considers gravity a challenge.

The Imperial Code of the Second British Empire:
1. Be decent.
2. Carry on.

“If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians.” – H. P. Lovecraft
Angus A Fitziron
Rogue Ætherlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2012, 03:13:45 pm »

Bit of an odd one really. I bought my lovely wife
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
as a stocking filler and recently, having finished Mark Hodder, I had nothing to read so she suggested I give it a go. This is the first (and last) book by Mary Ann Shaffer, which is a great shame because it is a delightful, funny, sad, thoughtful little book described as an epistolary novel - it consists only of letters written by about 20 characters to one another. It is about an author and her life and reflections on wartime Guernsey under occupation. I haven't finished it yet but I happily recommend it to you.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Overlord

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2012, 06:32:46 pm »

I feel the need to warn my friends and collegues away from a book I just finished. David Weber's "Out of the Dark."

Standard alien invasion, outdated survery data, they are expecting crossbows and swords and are met with tanks and fighter jets. Sh*t blows up real good. Plucky humans fight them until the aliens are desperate enough to start engineering a bioweapon to kill us all.

Then, when all is darkest in the last sixty pages, Count Dracula and his team of vampire commandos infiltrate the alien bases, take over their starships, and save the day.

Really. Vlad Drakul himself. I don't want that to be in a spoiler box, I feel it is my duty to warn everyone about this book. There is no foreshadowing at all to imply that this is a world which includes vampires. There are no hints that we can say "Oh, that's what [page 47] meant! Of course! How clever!"

No, this is just the most blatant deau ex machina ending I have come across in years.

I don't often accuse a writer of cheating, but Weber actually p*ssed me off with this book.
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #420 on: March 12, 2012, 11:27:07 pm »

Angus,
As I was browsing in the book section of a thrift store one day, a stranger came up to me and practically forced a book into my hands! She babbled on about how good it was, and said if she ever found a copy, she recommended it to someone. Well, I bought it and enjoyed it very much. It was, of course, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I have since passed it on to a friend. Good book!
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #421 on: March 13, 2012, 02:18:39 am »

Currently re-reading Titus Groan. It's every bit as good as I'd remembered, even considering that the first time I read it I was in bed with the flu. A temperature of almost 100 tends to make things seem more surreal and fantastical, but it actually is that wonderful.

New Etsy Shop!
Flightless Phoenix Designs for hand-made gothic and eccentric jewellery.
http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FlightlessPhoenix

Forum members can get 10% off by using discount code: BRASSGOGGLES1
pakled
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #422 on: March 21, 2012, 03:15:12 am »

I feel the need to warn my friends and collegues away from a book I just finished. David Weber's "Out of the Dark."

Too late...Wink

Haven't had that kind of 'wtf' moment at the end of something since Star Trek:Enterprise gave us 'space nazis'...Wink

As for current reading - of all things 'Reading Lolita in Teheran' which has much more to do with Iran than with Nabakov...Wink
Professor Higgins
Snr. Officer

What, what !!!

« Reply #423 on: March 21, 2012, 09:02:12 am »

Erm with Out of the Dark there are hints earlier in the book.  Id figured out that the mysterious savior in the hills of eastern europe was supernatural pretty early and given the location Id assumed vampire too. 

Ok the fact that it was supposed to be Dracula himself I did go gah on and I will agree that it is no where near up to Weber's usual standards.
Professor Phineas Brownsm
Snr. Officer

« Reply #424 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:53 pm »

Currently reading Issac Asimov Foundation and Earth, will return the the original trilogy (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation) after this one

Experimental Master Brewer - The Infamous Ginger Brau Emporium
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: