The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2014, 07:05:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Statement on POODLE: we're safe – learn more

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 48640 times)
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #375 on: February 03, 2012, 05:42:46 pm »

Going to knock out the City of Ember series. I loved the movie and wanted to see what happened after they got out. They are kids books so should only take half the day.
Then I'm going to read:
- Boneshaker  I live in WA so it'll be an awesome read
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
- Mainspring as soon as it gets here from amazon.

If I might say so, having read them, all of the Cherie Priest novels were outstanding.  Dreadnought was brilliant and having just finished Ganymede I am thirsting for more (also looking forward to the Boneshaker movie).  Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was fantastic also and is shaping up to hopefully be quite a nice film as well.  Also, if the alternate history is what you like you might try reading Black Hats, a novel that pits Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson and the son of Doc Holiday (Johnny Holiday), against Al Capone in New York City during the Prohibition.  Great read it was (and hopefully also a film, as there's talk of Harrison Ford having been cast to play Earp).

For myself, leaving the steampunk genre behind for a bit and finally finishing the epic Lonesome Dove and after that conquering No Country For Old Men.  Both of interest to me and more so now for where I live (No Country For Old Men was filmed not far from my town).

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
pakled
Zeppelin Overlord

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #376 on: February 04, 2012, 04:27:43 am »

Rough and Tumble Engineering (I think) by Manning. It's written in small words, for someone like me...Wink It's actually in (excruciating) detail how to run a steam engine. Every stop cock, governor, glass, pump, test...from Bookyards, a free out-of-print ebook site.
James Harrison
Master Tinkerer
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2012, 03:00:06 pm »

Despite my huge backlog of reading material, I got two more books from the library today  Roll Eyes (In my defence, I did go in there just to shelter from the cold and 'picked them up by mistake'). 

One is 'Thunderer: Building A Model Dreadnought' by William Mowll.  Followers of my model-making thread will see that perhaps this particular material is not a completely idle choice...

The other is one I started reading almost immediately; 'Disasters Underground' by N J McCamley- the history of subturranean Second World War RAF ammunition bunkers and the accidents surrounding them (concluding with the detonation of around 4,000 tons of H.E. in Fauld, Staffordshire- still the largest conventional weapons detonation to have taken place in the world).

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
MadeleineJ
Deck Hand
Sweden Sweden

Excuse me. I have to recharge my flamethrower

« Reply #378 on: February 04, 2012, 05:17:52 pm »

I'm reading Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

A Clockwork heart can't replace the real thing.
Capt. Dirigible
Time Traveler
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #379 on: February 04, 2012, 06:04:30 pm »

Having finished and thouroughly enjoyed Alan K Baker's 'The Martian Ambassador' (Martians...Venusians..faerie powered computers...Aether Zeppelins...and a re-juvenated Queen Victoria!!) Today I started Mark Hodder's 'Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon' the third in his wonderful 'Burton and Swinburne' novels and which "concludes the story arc begun with The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack". I do hope there will be more in this series, though.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
pakled
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #380 on: February 05, 2012, 04:39:04 am »

Just started something by someone called Danielewski called House of Leaves. This is one of those weird books (danger sign#1 - it's in 3 or 4 fonts and typefaces, written forwards, backwards and sideways),and appears to be written solely to either be as weird as possible, or to impress girls of a certain type (it was described as 'Pynchonesque' when handed to me...Wink

On the ebook side, something called 'Elementary, Dear Groucho' by Goulart. Much easier on the brain.
Anicsin
Gunner
Hungary Hungary

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

« Reply #381 on: February 05, 2012, 05:26:49 pm »

Vidocq. Smiley

,,Est penes hominem arbitrium et ratio."
neon_suntan
Rogue Ætherlord

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #382 on: February 05, 2012, 05:32:26 pm »

Just started something by someone called Danielewski called House of Leaves. This is one of those weird books (danger sign#1 - it's in 3 or 4 fonts and typefaces, written forwards, backwards and sideways),and appears to be written solely to either be as weird as possible, or to impress girls of a certain type (it was described as 'Pynchonesque' when handed to me...Wink

It's really good if you can get into it and if you make it through then i recommend a further prescription of Umberto Eco, Jorge Luis Borges and Milorad Pavic.

I'm about to conclude listening to the audiobook of "John Dies at the End" by David Wong... can anyone recommend something new and interestin g and available on audiobook to listen to next?

Peacemaker
« Reply #383 on: February 06, 2012, 08:41:53 pm »

I was browsing the sci-fi at the local book store and came across

“Hearts of Smoke and Steam” by Andrew P. Mayer is the second book in the “Society of Steam” steampunk superhero trilogy.

So I'm going to find the first book and read them both. I just couldn't pass this one up when I say it, looks amazing.

Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #384 on: February 08, 2012, 12:29:56 pm »

I'm about to conclude listening to the audiobook of "John Dies at the End" by David Wong... can anyone recommend something new and interestin g and available on audiobook to listen to next?

I don't listen to a lot of audiobooks personally but Neil Gaiman has been handpicking books/narrators and creating audiobooks for them- might find something you are interested in here:

http://www.audible.com/mt/Neil_Gaiman_Presents

New Etsy Shop!
Flightless Phoenix Designs for hand-made gothic and eccentric jewellery.
http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FlightlessPhoenix

Forum members can get 10% off by using discount code: BRASSGOGGLES1
Angus A Fitziron
Rogue Ætherlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #385 on: February 09, 2012, 12:20:37 am »

Halfway through Mark Hodder's Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon. It is slightly different to the earlier two novels in the series in that it has a kind of Murukami quality running two parallel plots. Liking it!

Must get 'Disasters Underground' on order from the library after reading about it in James' thread - my curiosity is piqued to the peak!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Francis J. Hemsworth
Deck Hand

« Reply #386 on: February 09, 2012, 04:30:06 am »

I just finished with Science Fiction by Gaslight. A lot of great stories from magazines published around the turn of the century. Now I'm reading Neuromancer again. I'm not quite sure if I feel like finishing it though.
A.Y.S.,
-Francis J. Hemsworth

Howdy, ya'll!
maduncle
Rogue Ætherlord
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #387 on: February 09, 2012, 10:43:00 am »

Halfway through Mark Hodder's Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon. It is slightly different to the earlier two novels in the series in that it has a kind of Murukami quality running two parallel plots. Liking it!

Just finished it last week, I was left a little flat and I wonder if it is all set up for another series of if it is just designed to leave us wondering?

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
James Harrison
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #388 on: February 09, 2012, 07:13:19 pm »

I'm around 75% of the way through Eldritch Tales (the second anthology of H P Lovecraft stories published by Gollancz).  I still have another eight or nine books to read after this, and last night I had a bit of an ebay binge and bought

The Ghost of the Grand Banks (Arthur C Clarke)

And, by Arthur Conan Doyle,

The Sign of the Four
The Valley of Fear
The Return of Sherlock Holmes
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
His Last Bow

I've no idea how long it'll be before I get through this lot....
OswaldBastable
Rogue Ætherlord

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #389 on: February 10, 2012, 01:55:12 am »

I've recently finished Flashman and the Tiger (the last Flashman book chronologically speaking)which is made up of three shorter stories set several years apart (I think Flashman is pushing 70 in the last one!) and now I'm reading The Ruling Caste by David Gilmour which is about the men of the Indian Civil Service, who'd have thought a book about civil servants would be so interesting Smiley I'm also reading Victoria Cross Heroes by Michael Ashcroft which is about the citations and (where available) background information on the winners for the VCs held in the Ashcroft collection.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
pakled
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #390 on: February 11, 2012, 04:42:03 am »

Ok, you talked me into it...Anno Dracula...Wink
~Dataman~
Gunner
Finland Finland

Dark soul, shadow hanging over internet...

8Dataman8
« Reply #391 on: February 11, 2012, 08:17:35 am »

This time I'm reading very good series, which includes Fever Crumb, Web of Air and Scrivener's moon.
I finished Web of Air on last night, and had very epic feelings.  Grin
Philip Reeve is my favourite author!

James Harrison
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #392 on: February 11, 2012, 01:11:36 pm »

Arthur C. Clarke's Ghost of the Grand Banks fell onto my doormat this morning.  Now 2010 has another reason to disappoint me.  Not only did we singularly fail to make contact, we made no effort whatever to raise the Titanic. 
Bookgal1977
Officer

Everythings a story. You are a story -I am a story

« Reply #393 on: February 11, 2012, 03:45:43 pm »

I just finished a wonderful graphic novel/picture book called "Return of the Dapper Men" by Jim McCann that is beautiful to see, and the language is beautiful to read. Its more clockwork Punk, than Steampunk, but I highly recomend it. One of the most beautiful books I have read in a long time.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. -Douglas Adams
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #394 on: February 13, 2012, 03:23:53 pm »

I have just finished reading the blessing by Nancy Mitford which was rather a jolly good read.

The Blessing is one of Nancy Mitford’s most personal books, a wickedly funny story that asks whether love can survive the clash of cultures.

When Grace Allingham, a naïve young Englishwoman, goes to live in France with her dashingly aristocratic husband Charles-Edouard, she finds herself overwhelmed by the bewilderingly foreign cuisine and the shockingly decadent manners and mores of the French. But it is the discovery of her husband’s French notion of marriage—which includes a permanent mistress and a string of casual affairs—that sends Grace packing back to London with their “blessing,” young Sigismond, in tow. While others urge the couple to reconcile, little Sigi—convinced that it will improve his chances of being spoiled—applies all his juvenile cunning to keeping his parents apart. Drawing on her own years in Paris and her long affair with a Frenchman, Mitford elevates cultural and romantic misunderstandings to the heights of comedy.

"If you are cold,Tea will warm you.
If you are too heated,It will cool you.
If you are depressed,It will cheer you.
If you are excited,It will calm you." Gladstone.
Dr. Lodus
Deck Hand

« Reply #395 on: February 13, 2012, 07:59:44 pm »

currently i am re reading to old Iron Kingdoms RPG books and waiting with bated breath for the new Iron Kingdoms RPG books to come out, but if we are talking exclusively fiction and not RPG source books, I have been reading A clash of Kings by George RR Martin while looking around for a good steampunk book to read.
inigo jameson-gatling
Snr. Officer
Iceland Iceland

lofthussar

« Reply #396 on: February 14, 2012, 01:49:31 pm »

Mainspring -by Jay Lake. I'm less than one hundred pages in and am really enjoying it.

The plot is basically a young lad Heathor Jaques is visited by the Archangel Gabriel and given a mission to save the world as its clockwork mechanism is running down. He has a number of scrapes with various people (his master, a clockmaker, and this man's two sons, a librarian, the Viceroy's agent, a press gang and a whole group of others) and I have got to the bit where he has, by some strange mechanism, become apprenticed to the navigator on an airship, only to lose the job because he was caught trying to work out the rate the world was slowing down.

You cannot complain about the sky if you suffer airshipwreck for the second time.
pakled
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #397 on: February 18, 2012, 12:47:09 am »

Something called KGB: Sword and Shield. Non-fiction, the story of the Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti (sp?)  over the decades. A thick book, suitable for defense as a shield, or even a blunt instrument as a sword. The sort of dense material you find makes you read the same page two or three times because you've lost your place (dear editor, two words...'white space'...Wink.

The literary equivalent of fruitcake; too rich, too dense, takes forever to get through, and probably has passed through a few hands on the way to your door...Wink
TVC15
Zeppelin Overlord

Extremely hazardous...have some?

« Reply #398 on: February 18, 2012, 01:28:44 am »

Picked up "Hunters of Dune" and "Sandworms of Dune" by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. It appears that Frank's son had discovered a pile of notes has written what may have been Frank's sequel to "Chapterhouse: Dune". I've nearly finished the former and will start the latter next week. Kudos to Brian for following very closely to his father's epic work.

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Admiral

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #399 on: February 18, 2012, 06:31:14 am »

I probably read too many things at once, but so far it doesn't seem hard to sort out as long as the stories/topics aren't too similar.

So, let's see:
Just finished 'Salem 1692: What Devils made them do it?' it's more a historical essay than an e-book.
Still reading '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea', but I'm almost to the end.
I was reading 'War of the World' and it's so much more intense than either movie, but I'm not actively reading it at the moment.
Also reading 'Timesplash', pretty sure the science isn't sound, but it's been fun so far.
'Little Wizard Stories of Oz' just because it's one of the ones that wasn't in Grandma's collection, that mysteriously disappeared before I could finish it...
'Zomiblog' it was free at the time, and I like zombie stuff.
And there's probably more half-read books in my room and on my devices...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: