The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 24, 2019, 05:56:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gearcon - July 22 -24 2011- Portland OR  (Read 1591 times)
artvixn
Officer
United States United States

« on: March 28, 2011, 08:10:23 pm »

There is a new steampunk convention in the Northwest. 
Gearcon in Portland will debut July 22nd - 24th 2011 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. 
I will be a participant.  They have lots of wonderful guests lined up.  It should be fun.
http://pdxgearcon.com/

~artvixn

"Steampunk needs historical accuracy like a dirigible needs a goldfish" `Diana Vick
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:37:41 am »

Yes- this is an event not to be missed!  A great lineup of Musical and Literary guests, Steampunks of Distinction, Steampunks of Notoriety, Prodigies, Wonders, and the occasional Misplaced Tourist!

Rose City Steampunks, Local 23 would like to invite one and all to our fair city to participate in PDX GEARCon!

Looking forward to meeting new friends and old.  http://pdxgearcon.com/

Regards,
Mrs. Sullivan

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
Edie
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:09:26 pm »

Hello,

Does anybody know if this event has been cancelled?  The website has been down for a long time, and  I can't seem to find any recent updates on Twitter or Facebook.  I've emailed the festival director but haven't received a reply.  Any scrap of information would be greatly appreciated; thank you!
Oberst Steffen Crist
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 08:24:27 pm »

GearCon has NOT been canceled. The web site has been down due to someone hacking the server it was on. Mr. Couchman, who is chairing the event, has been busy getting things back on track. Bethany Moore and many others are doing what they can to get things setup and ready to go.

There is a weekly concom meeting, held almost every Wednesday at the Magnolia's Corner, on 40th and SE Sandy. It starts at 7PM. On the first week in July, it will be held on Thursday, same time and place.

.... and now for some inside info: Michell and Greg (two of Mr. Couchman's hench-people) have been tasked with convincing Guardian Games to come in and run some demo games. Guardian Games is a HUGE supporter of the steampunk/gaming culture, and always have cool swag to handout.

Bethany Moore and I have been asked to contact Dark Horse Publishing, and see if they have an interest in presenting stuff at GearCon. The folks at Dark Horse have been experimenting with doing steampunk-type comics, and I think we would all like to see more of that. Last year, Dark Horse donated several boxes of assorted comics to OryCon. We would like to see them do that at GearCon, if possible.

Hello,

Does anybody know if this event has been canceled?  The website has been down for a long time, and  I can't seem to find any recent updates on Twitter or Facebook.  I've emailed the festival director but haven't received a reply.  Any scrap of information would be greatly appreciated; thank you!

Oberst Steffen Crist
Komandant, Der Fliegende Igel
Edie
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:45:16 pm »

Thank you for the information, Herr Kommandant, I did hear back from Mr. Couchman.  It sounds like it's shaping up to be quite a splendid event.

GearCon has NOT been canceled. The web site has been down due to someone hacking the server it was on. Mr. Couchman, who is chairing the event, has been busy getting things back on track. Bethany Moore and many others are doing what they can to get things setup and ready to go.

There is a weekly concom meeting, held almost every Wednesday at the Magnolia's Corner, on 40th and SE Sandy. It starts at 7PM. On the first week in July, it will be held on Thursday, same time and place.

.... and now for some inside info: Michell and Greg (two of Mr. Couchman's hench-people) have been tasked with convincing Guardian Games to come in and run some demo games. Guardian Games is a HUGE supporter of the steampunk/gaming culture, and always have cool swag to handout.

Bethany Moore and I have been asked to contact Dark Horse Publishing, and see if they have an interest in presenting stuff at GearCon. The folks at Dark Horse have been experimenting with doing steampunk-type comics, and I think we would all like to see more of that. Last year, Dark Horse donated several boxes of assorted comics to OryCon. We would like to see them do that at GearCon, if possible.

Hello,

Does anybody know if this event has been canceled?  The website has been down for a long time, and  I can't seem to find any recent updates on Twitter or Facebook.  I've emailed the festival director but haven't received a reply.  Any scrap of information would be greatly appreciated; thank you!
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:50:15 am »

I will also be presenting a small DIY salon at GEARCon.  Come join me and make a tiny hat or fascinator!

Regards,
Mrs. Sullivan
Sepiachord
Zeppelin Admiral
Vatican City State Vatican City State

Time Traveling Ethno-Musicologist

sepiachord
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 06:33:19 am »

Very eager for this event
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:46:32 pm »

How's this event going thus far?

The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 07:50:09 pm »

How's this event going thus far?

Yes, please post pictures!

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
Oberst Steffen Crist
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 06:28:19 am »

I have to admit, I thought things might fall through at the last minute - however, Mr. Couchman's crew held everything together.

I was also surprised at the large number of folks attending from out of state. This is ALWAYS a big deal, as it is a lot to ask of people, to travel so far from home, spending their cash attending a new convention.

There were a lot of good vendors, presenters and folks having fun. It was a good weekend.

Things for next year - a dedicated programming staff. This will include someone to post a programming schedule well BEFORE the convention, as well as have a schedule of the entire convention ready for folks to pickup when they arrive at the convention.

A tea party. This idea was dropped due to issues with the hotel. We were going to have a tea party in the Cambridge Room, but the hotel has an odd cork-age policy that ruined that idea. A possible work-around: one of the larger suites rented out by a GearCon staff member, to get around the cork-age issue. If I do it, it will be BYOTC (bring your own tea cup). Might have to organize a "tea cup" competition. Extra points for matching saucer.
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 06:39:59 am »

I wasn't able to attend this year due to financial reasons but I may be interested in offering my skills as a graphic designer for next year. Let me know if you'd be interested. I'm local (just north of Vancouver Wa.) So I'd be able to speak and coordinate in person. My website is here,
Take a look and let me know if you're interested
Sepiachord
Zeppelin Admiral
Vatican City State Vatican City State

Time Traveling Ethno-Musicologist

sepiachord
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:07:44 am »

PDX Gearcon Photos
http://www.sepiachord.com/gearcon.htm
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral