Author Topic: The rocket pack collective thread  (Read 313120 times)

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!
    • The Writings of A.J. Smith
Re: The rocket pack collective thread
« Reply #275 on: June 14, 2011, 03:29:39 am »
I'm reminded of a design me and my buddies came up with for the "RedBull Flugtaag (sp?)" some years ago...

Shoes with wings.  Reckon if shoes with ROCKETS would count?

Just thinking out loud, here...

Good idea - perhaps you could start with a big old pair of ski boots and go from there...

I'll see what I can find laying around at the mission...  AND on the Bay of E, and the List That Craig Keeps!

OOOOOHHHH!!!

Ok, yeah...  The boots, and have the squiggly bits go from the tankish shape down to the boots, which will hold the funnle looking whatsit!  It's a PERFECT design!  (Impractical, improbably, and well, let's face it, a bit whimsical, but a perfect design none the less!)
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #276 on: June 16, 2011, 05:21:43 am »

Xenos,

Why not get a pair of old ski boots, paint them up all coppery or brassy or whatever, mount a small fire extinguisher or a soda bottle on the outside of each boot (upside down) and fit small funnels as your jets coming out the bottom of them.

Fins on the back of the boots would look cool too.
”Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown”

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2011, 05:30:55 am »

Xenos,

Why not get a pair of old ski boots, paint them up all coppery or brassy or whatever, mount a small fire extinguisher or a soda bottle on the outside of each boot (upside down) and fit small funnels as your jets coming out the bottom of them.

Fins on the back of the boots would look cool too.

Becase as awesome as that would be, I want it to at least be PLAUSABLE (like Bart should have changed his "D"s to "B"s instead of "A+"s...). 

Right now the issue is finding a cheap pair of skiboots...  They get a bit...  Up there.

But yes, that is the basic idea for the boots themselves.  I'm also looking into getting a milk can for the "Tankish shape," and I've already got leather strapping.

SO, the trick now is getting the money to get the stuff to make the set!  :D :D :D

Steampunk Sid

• Gunner
« Reply #278 on: June 16, 2011, 07:28:28 pm »
After the pleasure of meeting Herr Doktor at the MCM expo and once again seeing the magnificent Jet Pack, I am going to have to grease up my digits and come up with some infernal propulsion device, wonder if the coglings will buy me some parts for Fathers Day? I spent ages unable to sleep the other night for thinking about Jet Packs!

josecou

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2011, 10:06:48 pm »
Why not try looking for ski boots at goodwill? It's summer, so there's a chance that there might be some.

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #280 on: June 17, 2011, 03:16:19 am »
Why not try looking for ski boots at goodwill? It's summer, so there's a chance that there might be some.

Plan on checking Goodwill, local thrift stores, and the mission's thrift store.  It'll have to wait a bit (as everything I plan to do does), regarldess-my financial situation is...  Well, let's just say I can't afford to pay attention!

Dr cornelius quack

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.
« Reply #281 on: June 18, 2011, 07:51:04 pm »
I'm in the process of positioning my Main Thruster Cluster.

Correct use of a Thruster Cluster adjuster avoids Thruster Cluster Fluster.

Only way to be sure that your Thruster Cluster passes Muster

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

Captain Shipton Bellinger

• Master Tinkerer
  • Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!
    • Steampunk Engineering
« Reply #282 on: June 19, 2011, 04:58:18 am »
I hope you'll be finishing with a coat or two of Max Factor rocket-packer lacquer. It gives a lovely lustre to your thruster cluster adjuster.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

VampirateMace

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Mein Hexapod
« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2011, 05:06:53 am »
Now, now, don’t bluster him into using your lack-luster lacquer on his thruster cluster adjuster.

Dr cornelius quack

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2011, 06:04:20 am »
I hope you'll be finishing with a coat or two of Max Factor rocket-packer lacquer. It gives a lovely lustre to your thruster cluster adjuster.

Naturally.

However, the damp atmosphere in these Northern climes is a terrible attacker of rocket packer Lacquer. It causes it to knacker and turn blacker.

You have to keep applying it with a Thruster Cluster Adjuster Duster.
It's a Ball-Buster!! >:(

Mr. Phikset

• Gunner
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2011, 09:31:39 am »
Well, this thread has certainly been an entertaining read, now I just need to build one!  I have a backpack frame, a smallish keg (maybe 1.5 gallons) for the tankish shape, and other bits and bobs...  I shall have to undertake this endeavor and hopefully not blow my shop up this time.

Miphet, in regards to the catalyzed dihydrogen dioxide steam generation, I have mechanations to harness this steam in an alternate method than rocketry and utilize the large amounts of steam produced to operate a functional steam powered motorcycle...  Not to get too far off topic. 8)

(Edit, add picture)

Well, I made a rough sketch of how I wish my pack to be.  I already have the keg, now it is just a matter of getting the rest of the fittings.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:16:34 pm by Mr. Phikset »
When asked how long something will take, always tell them longer than what you think it will take.  That way if something goes wrong you have time to fix it and if everything goes smoothly then you look like a miracle worker.
 - Scotty

Maets

• Hero of The Realm
  • Immortal
  • Airship Builder
    • The Steam Emporium
« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2011, 12:28:18 am »
Finally shot the test firing of the winged rocket pack I had posted sometime ago.  As suspected most of the exhaust is through the central thruster with only a small amount out the two side thrusters. Three of my five rocket packs can be test fired in this way.

Winged Rocket Pack

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2011, 03:29:17 am »

Ah Maets - you've done it again!

Sensational.

And now we return to the thruster cluster adjuster discussion...

mephit

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2011, 09:10:14 pm »
Miphet, in regards to the catalyzed dihydrogen dioxide steam generation, I have mechanations to harness this steam in an alternate method than rocketry and utilize the large amounts of steam produced to operate a functional steam powered motorcycle...  Not to get too far off topic. 8)

Very nifty idea. Perhaps using a catalytic converter for the platinum catalyst matrix? "IT! COULD! WORK!!"

Also, the keg is a great idea for a tank!

christoffer

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »
Maets how on earth? Or over earth? - truly a masterpiece!
That generally goes to all rocket - participants ive seen on this thread, great work!

Mr. Phikset

• Gunner
« Reply #290 on: June 20, 2011, 11:17:14 pm »

Very nifty idea. Perhaps using a catalytic converter for the platinum catalyst matrix? "IT! COULD! WORK!!"

Also, the keg is a great idea for a tank!

That is actually what I was thinking of for my initial experiments...  I will post more later in a seperate thread on this so this one is not derailed.

Oh, and thanks for the comment, I wil hopefully have this in the works soon after my engineers notebook and my wife/dolls key mechanism has been finished...

Maets

• Hero of The Realm
  • Immortal
  • Airship Builder
    • The Steam Emporium
« Reply #291 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:25 pm »
Many thanks to Maduncle for sending me the official numbers.  The post cards are fantastic.  I am envious!

This is a fun thread and I look forward to seeing more and more rocket packs.

One of these days I hope to actually do the photo shoot I have been planning for sometime.  Need a few volunteers and good weather.

Orcon Windar

• Officer
    • Dr. von Optikon's Compendium of Extraordinary Contraptions
« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2011, 12:06:35 am »
Love the pack, Maets. I really like the wing design.

On another topic, I just received my number a few minutes ago. It actually fit very nicely. Here's a picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/orconwindar/5854459225/#in/photostream

Also, love the postcards. Wish I lived a little closer to Australia so I could see the store.

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2011, 07:02:19 am »
Love the pack, Maets. I really like the wing design.

On another topic, I just received my number a few minutes ago. It actually fit very nicely. Here's a picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/orconwindar/5854459225/#in/photostream

Also, love the postcards. Wish I lived a little closer to Australia so I could see the store.

Excellent - another numbered rocket racer!

Mr. Hatchett

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Unnaturalist
« Reply #294 on: June 21, 2011, 06:08:01 pm »
Well, I made a rough sketch of how I wish my pack to be.  I already have the keg, now it is just a matter of getting the rest of the fittings.

I find myself in the opposite position - I have all the exhaust ports and peripheral parts, and I'm just waiting to happen across a suitable wooden keg.
When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish.

Maets

• Hero of The Realm
  • Immortal
  • Airship Builder
    • The Steam Emporium
« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2011, 06:24:14 pm »
There is beer that comes in a mini aluminum keg.  Could be painted for the desired look and lots of fun emptying the keg in the first place.  Better yet, design one so that the keg is swappable and you will be a walking (or flying) beer dispensor.

Steampunk Sid

• Gunner
« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2011, 09:06:31 pm »

is my single cylinder contribution, hopefully worthy of a racing number, lost track of where we were with the numbers! Hand control valve wip!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:12:35 pm by Steampunk Sid »

Orcon Windar

• Officer
    • Dr. von Optikon's Compendium of Extraordinary Contraptions
« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2011, 11:08:50 pm »
Great rocket pack! Is it all metal, or painted? Either way, it looks fantastic.

Maets

• Hero of The Realm
  • Immortal
  • Airship Builder
    • The Steam Emporium
« Reply #298 on: June 22, 2011, 12:42:32 am »
Welcome to the Rocket Pack Collective.  Interesting rocket configuration.  Nicely done.

Steampunk Sid

• Gunner
« Reply #299 on: June 22, 2011, 03:27:10 am »
Great rocket pack! Is it all metal, or painted? Either way, it looks fantastic.
all metal and painted