The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2019, 03:01:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rocket pack collective thread  (Read 198793 times)
Baron von Fogel
Officer
United States United States

LeagueOfSTEAM
« Reply #250 on: June 07, 2011, 07:12:16 pm »

Huzzah! Now this is a thread I fully support!

I made my "Short-Range Jump Pack" in Summer 2008, and it's been through a lot with me since.

Here's a photo of the pack, complete with integrated lights and spinning fans:

And here's one of me wearing it on an adventure:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

About a year after building it, I decided that it needed something big and showy for our League of S.T.E.A.M. performances, so I added a pyrotechnic effect to it!  Here are a couple of photos of the effect in action (this is a real physical effect, no photo manipulation has been done on these shots!)
As you can see, the pack malfunctions every time, and produces a burst of fire which is never quite strong enough to get me off the ground!

Here's the original thread for construction progress shots on this project:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10142.0.html
And MANY more progress shots and details on my blog:
http://baronvonfogel.blogspot.com/2008/07/jetpack-project-part-1.html

Anyway, hope you enjoy mine!  It's been great reading through this thread and seeing all the wonderful, creative ways people have interpreted the concept!

Check out my site at: www.andrewfogel.com

Follow the League of STEAM on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LeagueOfSTEAM
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #251 on: June 07, 2011, 07:50:37 pm »

As you can see, the pack malfunctions every time, and produces a burst of fire which is never quite strong enough to get me off the ground!

THRUST!  I've ran some calculations, sir, and it seems you forgot the key element of thrust!

Birds, like ducks and geese, when they take off, what do they have?

THRUST!

If you were to focus the blast a little more (it seems to me like it's a weak flamethrower), you may very well achieve that lift...  Perhaps invert the ejection ports-narrow them up a bit, as it were?

Either that, or get a good running start, and JUMP!

There IS that old fashioned "Giant Slingshot" method as well...

All in all, a very pretty pack! Cheesy

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #252 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:53 pm »

Very nice.  No mention of the special pants required while firing? Grin

Welcome to the Rocket Pack Collective.

Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #253 on: June 07, 2011, 11:40:09 pm »

Love it, very cool. I think I may have seen it at Steamcon II at the LoS booth. Very nice work.
mephit
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2011, 01:33:00 am »

Well, I don't think this qualifies me (yet) for entry into the rocket pack collective, here's what I'm planning on building, once I get all the kinks ironed out.

I'm weird and like to make my stuff plausible at the very least, so here's the skinny: Theoretically, the tank is for hydrogen peroxide, which is pumped through a nichrome heating element via a double-piston reciprocating pump. The heating element vaporizes the H2O2 as it is injected into the reaction chamber. The chamber contains sponge platinum. The hydrogen peroxide reacts explosively with the platinum, creating superheated steam which jets out the nozzle, creating thrust. The nozzle is angled 45 degrees downward to provide a thrust vector that is both above the pilot's center of gravity and that pushes the pilot forward and up. The wings fold back when not in use and allow for short glides between firings of the thruster. There are meshed gears attached to the bases of the wings which are driven by a single cog inside the pack. At the back of the pack is a heavy leather shroud to keep me from being roasted and to help protect from shrapnel in the case of a rupture. The plan is for the wings to be motorized to open and close and for the "heating element" to light up. If I can finagle it, I'd also like to have steam shoot out of the nozzle, but I'm not sure if I can rig that on top of everything else.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2011, 07:00:25 am »

They actually have belt thrusters using the H2O2 principal...  Bravo for practicallity!  Granted, in order for it to work, you'd need greater than 68% solution...

And again, BRAVO for knowing the reaction with platnium!  (I only just learned the other day, when looking up about the link I provided!)
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2011, 11:30:08 am »

There are some great new rocket packs on this thread, I love 'em!

@Baron von Fogel - great work there, I like the use of colanders in the ends of the rocket tubes, I wonder if they could be rigged to fan open and closed with a lever action to narrow the thrust?

@Mephit - simply brilliant - sheer genius, now go build it.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2011, 11:35:20 am »

I heard you saying that first bit like Bilbo Baggins praising Smaug in the Rankin Bass Hobbit movie, before giving a dead stare, deadpan voice for the "now go build it." bit...

Just thought you'd want to know!
mephit
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2011, 04:36:42 pm »

They actually have belt thrusters using the H2O2 principal...  Bravo for practicallity!  Granted, in order for it to work, you'd need greater than 68% solution...

And again, BRAVO for knowing the reaction with platnium!  (I only just learned the other day, when looking up about the link I provided!)

Thank you! Yep, the Bell rocketbelts use H2O2 with a platinum catalyst. On top of that, hydrogen peroxide has been synthesized since the late 18th century and the fact that platinum (especially in sponge form) is a catalyst has been known since the 1820s, so both work for a Victorian period rocket motor (except for that whole purity issue. Or the low specific thrust. But hey!). On top of that, the bell-shaped nozzle (which is called a de Laval nozzle, by the way) was invented in the 1880s and resistive heating was first studied in the 1840s.

Yes, I am that much of a nerd. (sighs)
mephit
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #259 on: June 08, 2011, 04:38:56 pm »

Yeah, yeah! Cheesy
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:11 am »

I heard you saying that first bit like Bilbo Baggins praising Smaug in the Rankin Bass Hobbit movie, before giving a dead stare, deadpan voice for the "now go build it." bit...

Just thought you'd want to know!

I am glad you picked that up, it is exactly what I was aiming for.

Really.

Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:03 am »

Great/twisted minds think alike!  Wink

--------

I've almost got my pack drawn out...  I'm just not...  Happy with it as is...  It's missing... SOMETHING, you know?

I'm thinking about doing a "Jump-belt" style thrust system for it...  Just working out the kinks...  If we can ever find our camera, or I get a scanner, I'll have pics up!
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #262 on: June 10, 2011, 12:05:25 am »

I have collected sundry parts for a rocket pack and hope to have time to begin some construction this weekend.

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #263 on: June 10, 2011, 02:06:58 am »

I have collected sundry parts for a rocket pack and hope to have time to begin some construction this weekend.

What is the silver thing?that says REMO on it
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2011, 04:09:16 am »

That is marching band drum-holder-thingy. I'm sure there's a proper name for it. It carried a snare and a tom-tom. I got it at a garage sale years ago and the drums are long deteriorated. It fits over the head and is relatively light weight. I'm thinking about a frontal apparatus that links to a propellant canister in the rear. Still in the planning stage.
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2011, 04:45:50 am »

That is marching band drum-holder-thingy. I'm sure there's a proper name for it. It carried a snare and a tom-tom. I got it at a garage sale years ago and the drums are long deteriorated. It fits over the head and is relatively light weight. I'm thinking about a frontal apparatus that links to a propellant canister in the rear. Still in the planning stage.

Looks like It's going to be great! Great find on the drum holder thingy. Wish I could find something like that.
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2011, 05:04:13 am »

Is anyone going to be at Steamcon this year? Perhaps we could arrange some sort of meet-up and discuss... rocket packy things. I don't know. Just throwing it out there.
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #267 on: June 11, 2011, 08:43:25 pm »

Are ther any numbers left? I am thinking of building my own sometime.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #268 on: June 12, 2011, 11:10:38 am »

Are ther any numbers left? I am thinking of building my own sometime.

There certainly are!

I have just posted number 5 off to Orcon Windar this week, so numbers 6 to 25 are still available!

Dear Squire - I love the drum holder thingy - and the idea of using the front of the pack for stuff. I look forward to seeing your results.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #269 on: June 13, 2011, 02:45:58 am »

Wonderful, so only 6 more have to be posted before I get my act together, buy the parts, and build/post mine! (I'm going for numbers 12 or 21...  23 in a pinch...)

I believe I'm going to take the minimalist approach-that just works, aye?
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:35 am »

I'd have wanted 6 myself, but obviously my rocketpack isn't done. Oh well, c'est la vie.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2011, 11:16:20 am »

I am sending numbers 6 to 9 to MAETS for his four other rocket packs, the man is a virtual rocket pack assembly line and is well deserved of another four numbers.

So the next race number I dispatch will be the first of the double digits.

Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2011, 06:27:50 pm »

I'm reminded of a design me and my buddies came up with for the "RedBull Flugtaag (sp?)" some years ago...

Shoes with wings.  Reckon if shoes with ROCKETS would count?

Just thinking out loud, here...
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2011, 11:14:32 pm »

I am sending numbers 6 to 9 to MAETS for his four other rocket packs, the man is a virtual rocket pack assembly line and is well deserved of another four numbers.

Many thanks Maduncle for your effort with the numbers.  Looking forward to receiving them.
Shoes with rockets has been on my mind too.  Ala Ironman.  He has the rockets in the shoes and palms, not on the back.  No plans on attempting it soon on my end, but I would love to see someone do it. 

Good rocketing to all!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #274 on: June 14, 2011, 02:49:43 am »

I'm reminded of a design me and my buddies came up with for the "RedBull Flugtaag (sp?)" some years ago...

Just thinking out loud, here...

Good idea - perhaps you could start with a big old pair of ski boots and go from there...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: