The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2019, 07:29:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rocket pack collective thread  (Read 198388 times)
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2011, 10:07:14 pm »

Thanks for the kind comments on my pic of the great Mr. Jack Union doing his thing whilst wearing Herr Doctors amazing pack. If the good Doctor could send me a high res image of the same picture I'll re-do it at a size that's more appropriate to the grand scale of the image. Anybody want any additions made whilst I'm at it? Zeppelins? Attacking hoards...? 100 foot high "I'm about to take over the world", Steampunk people....? Anything you fancy. I will, of course, do a straight version too.

Where's my helmet...?

Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.
josecou
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #226 on: June 04, 2011, 04:05:48 am »

I think I just might toss my hat into the ring. I've been meaning to make a steampunk rocket pack for this year's Steamcon, and this is the perfect incentive to get going. Plus, I recently picked up a wonderful perfect condition aviator coat (for $10!), which will go perfectly with the rocket pack. Unfortunately, all i have to work with is some cardboard tubes, paint, and a budget of $10. I'm saving most of my spending money for my trip to England in a month.
With cardboard tube, paint and ten dollars you should be able to turn out a decent rocket pack to go with your amazing
jacket. Consider plastic soft drink bottles and garden hose as other useful cheap parts too.

Heh heh, I actually was just heading out to spray paint one of my parts- a plastic soda bottle. I hot glued it to one of the skinnier tubes, and am going to back it one of the... ummm... not sure what to call them. One of the sort of tubey things that the flame shoots out of. Also, I was thinking of incorporating a couple of old  style coca cola glass bottles to be a couple other... tubey things. I would post pictures of my design, but my camera is having trouble, so it might be a while.

Excellent work.

And 'tubey things' is the correct technical description.

I thought the correct term would be "thrusters"
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #227 on: June 04, 2011, 05:48:18 am »

I think I just might toss my hat into the ring. I've been meaning to make a steampunk rocket pack for this year's Steamcon, and this is the perfect incentive to get going. Plus, I recently picked up a wonderful perfect condition aviator coat (for $10!), which will go perfectly with the rocket pack. Unfortunately, all i have to work with is some cardboard tubes, paint, and a budget of $10. I'm saving most of my spending money for my trip to England in a month.
With cardboard tube, paint and ten dollars you should be able to turn out a decent rocket pack to go with your amazing
jacket. Consider plastic soft drink bottles and garden hose as other useful cheap parts too.

Heh heh, I actually was just heading out to spray paint one of my parts- a plastic soda bottle. I hot glued it to one of the skinnier tubes, and am going to back it one of the... ummm... not sure what to call them. One of the sort of tubey things that the flame shoots out of. Also, I was thinking of incorporating a couple of old  style coca cola glass bottles to be a couple other... tubey things. I would post pictures of my design, but my camera is having trouble, so it might be a while.

Excellent work.

Oh yeah. Don't know hy I didn't think of that.  Tongue Ah, well, at least tubey things is fun to say. Though I do feel like a bit of a dunce now, but that doesn't really come as a surprise.  Smiley
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #228 on: June 04, 2011, 05:55:16 am »

Excellent work.

Oh yeah. Don't know hy I didn't think of that.  Tongue Ah, well, at least tubey things is fun to say. Though I do feel like a bit of a dunce now, but that doesn't really come as a surprise.  Smiley

No, I checked my rocket pack manual and 'tubey thing' is the correct term. They are fitted on the end of the 'squiggly bits' that come from the 'tankish shape'.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #229 on: June 04, 2011, 06:53:06 am »

Excellent work.

No, I checked my rocket pack manual and 'tubey thing' is the correct term. They are fitted on the end of the 'squiggly bits' that come from the 'tankish shape'.

Which is all held in place by the "strappy whatsits!"  It's really quite simple, you know...

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2011, 07:19:06 am »

I note that we all seem to be using the terms set out in the Glossary section of 'Home Rocketry. A Primer.' by Mr. Ignatious St. John Chard.

Good to see that this seminal work on the subject still has its adherents.

I personally am still using his design of 'Squirty Dodads' for primary fuel mixing.

Praise is due to the team at 'Practical Fabricator Magazine' for reconstructing most of the text from the remaining, unburnt portions of the original print run.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:29:22 am by Dr cornelius quack » Logged

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #231 on: June 04, 2011, 11:57:23 am »

I note that we all seem to be using the terms set out in the Glossary section of 'Home Rocketry. A Primer.' by Mr. Ignatious St. John Chard.

Good to see that this seminal work on the subject still has its adherents.

I personally am still using his design of 'Squirty Dodads' for primary fuel mixing.

Praise is due to the team at 'Practical Fabricator Magazine' for reconstructing most of the text from the remaining, unburnt portions of the original print run.

Yes indeed - the folk at PFM did a fine job there - although I tend to still use my 'lexicon of rocketry' as the ultimate guide on the more detailed technical descriptions of rocket pack components.

I like the simple layout of the manual with chapters on:

1/. Bendy bits.

2/. Shiny stuff.

And of course - 3/. Dangerous doo dads.

Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2011, 01:25:02 pm »

I will give you that the 'Lexicon' is better in terms of exploded diagrams.
Not entirely surprising, since, by the time of it's publication, a lot more of them had exploded.
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2011, 05:03:20 pm »

Shocked I just had a great idea! We should collectively submit words and definitions, to make The Ultimate Beginner's Lexicon to Complex Rocket Science. It could be the first official book of The Rocket Pack Collective.
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2011, 09:35:55 pm »

Finally got a picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orconwindar/5797795572/#in/photostream

Not a very good pic unfortunately, but it shows the pack. I'm also wearing the coat that I mentioned earlier,  but you can't see it very well.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2011, 10:02:52 pm »

Finally got a picture.

Not a very good pic unfortunately, but it shows the pack. I'm also wearing the coat that I mentioned earlier,  but you can't see it very well.

Ah, the elegance of simplicity!
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #236 on: June 04, 2011, 10:13:41 pm »

Finally got a picture.

Thanks! I tried not to add too much on to it, partly because it would make it look cluttered, and partly because the... uuh... main... chamber-like object in the middle (really need to brush up on my rocket vocabulary), was too small. 
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #237 on: June 04, 2011, 10:49:01 pm »

Finally got a picture.

Thanks! I tried not to add too much on to it, partly because it would make it look cluttered, and partly because the... uuh... main... chamber-like object in the middle (really need to brush up on my rocket vocabulary), was too small. 

I believe that is "Tankish-shape," what you're looking for, good sir (hat's off to Maduncle for pointing this out!)!

I particularly like the "sharkfin bits!"
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #238 on: June 04, 2011, 10:54:25 pm »

Why, thank you! I am partial to the funnely thing at the bottom, but that's just because it was the hardest to put on ( I burned myself with the hot glue, causing me to drop both the funnely thing and the rest of the pack, forcing me to repaint the tubey thing).
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2011, 11:36:21 pm »

Welcome as an offical member of the Rocket Pack Collective.  The fins are a nice touch.

Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2011, 11:37:52 pm »

Thanks! Who do I PM for the number?
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #241 on: June 05, 2011, 10:52:00 am »

Me!

Just PM me your postal address and I shall get it off to you next week.

Cheers (and the rocket pack looks great too).
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2011, 11:46:25 am »

I dug out my old copy of St. John-Chard to help out with the glossary.
Not sure how much use it will be though.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:54:27 am by Dr cornelius quack » Logged
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2011, 04:03:25 pm »

Me!

Just PM me your postal address and I shall get it off to you next week.

Cheers (and the rocket pack looks great too).

Thanks! PMing you as we speak. Er... type.

Also, love the book, Dr. Cornelius.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2011, 05:15:46 pm »

Thanks.

I think it may be a first edition, but it's a bit hard to tell for sure.
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2011, 06:00:23 pm »

Thanks.

I think it may be a first edition, but it's a bit hard to tell for sure.

Heh. I think I might make one of those for myself at some point. It'll look nice next to my third edition copy of "Do-it-Yourself Hydrogen Zeppelins for the Mentally Challenged".

EDIT:

Finished.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orconwindar/5801250732/#in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orconwindar/5801334686/#in/photostream

Sorry for the bad quality, they were taken with my cell phone.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:13:28 pm by Orcon Windar » Logged
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2011, 10:14:41 pm »

Excellently done. You've obviously got your nozzle tuned to a smaller jet.

I wonder what other aspects of steampunk might lend themselves to similarly distressed guidebooks?
A whole library of tomes rendered illegible by reading them too close to the activity they describe has a certain attraction.

A heavily chewed 'Kakenspotter's Guide'.
'Boiler lighting for beginners' with all the pages torn out.
A container of cloudy liquid labeled 'Brew your own Universal Solvent, an Alchemist's Cookbook'.

Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2011, 10:54:17 pm »

Excellently done. You've obviously got your nozzle tuned to a smaller jet.

I wonder what other aspects of steampunk might lend themselves to similarly distressed guidebooks?
A whole library of tomes rendered illegible by reading them too close to the activity they describe has a certain attraction.

A heavily chewed 'Kakenspotter's Guide'.
'Boiler lighting for beginners' with all the pages torn out.
A container of cloudy liquid labeled 'Brew your own Universal Solvent, an Alchemist's Cookbook'.

Brilliant, I'm off to make those.  Smiley Perhaps we should start a new thread for this. I think I'll start with "Taming Your Mechanical Beast: A Beginner's Guide", with a chunk missing in the shape of teeth. *Evil Grin* This is going to be fun...

Edit

Ok...

Taming your Mechanical Beast didn't work out, so I made this. My favorite of the ones I've done so far.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orconwindar/5802254918/#in/photostream
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:59:25 am by Orcon Windar » Logged
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #248 on: June 06, 2011, 06:41:13 am »

Or, the Practical Guide to Airship Piracy, slightly charred, blood soaked, and/or with a bullet hole through it.

Can’t say I’ve made too much progress on my pack, I’ve got some straps, and some hose, and some other bits… And a box with “Rocket Pack Parts” written on it in bright red letters. I think the box is really important at this stage.

I saw a large-ish spice rack at Goodwill... I'm thinking if I can find a smaller one, it's be fun to make a rocket pack that looked like I raided the kitchen to MacGyver a rocket pack, using the spice jars to hold different components of the rocket fuel, so that their mixing creates thrust.

I also found an abandon, but nicely shaped set of boards I thought would make a good pack base... but after cleaning I could see why they weren't currently in use. It's too wet here to use anything wooden that wasn't kept inside.

Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #249 on: June 06, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »

I like the fuel jar idea, very cool.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: