The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 20, 2018, 03:33:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Modeling Book  (Read 2535 times)
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Sky Pirate Brewer

« on: March 02, 2011, 05:05:14 am »

I found this cool looking Steampunk Model making book, titled "Steampunk Modeller" at:
http://www.scififantasymodeller.co.uk/English/shop.php?PHPSESSID=6765b279987f56b07110196afbb9a1c0#SPM1

or to make it easier:
http://tinyurl.com/64ypnj6

Has anyone obtained a copy of it yet?  If so, how is it as far as construction of scratch built models?

Also, I'm still wanting a new Steampunk movie!

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Gunner Gregson
Snr. Officer
England England

Hired Gun, Gunsmith

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:13:13 am »

ive seen this book on Play.com, i was gonna grab myself a copy but was unavailabe.
ive seen a few pages inside and doesnt look too bad, but would need to hold one in my hands to make an accurate assessment.
the page i saw was regarding the motorcycle (the one on the front cover) it looked to be a conversion from the GW space marine bike, but didnt get a great look.
gonna shop around a bit see if i can get a copy.

GG

Ananias S. Wildwire at your service, for a price of course.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:00:13 pm »

The book is now available again from Sci-Fi and Fantasy Modeller   (scroll to bottom of page) although I just snaffled the last one at Amazon...

There is also a second edition available and I understand a third on the way. The first book in the series looks at various techniques to produce a range of steampunk models and artefacts. This is not a step by step how to guide but instead, the very skilled modellers take you through the various stages, giving useful information of sources, materials and adhesives. Some good tips on painting and weathering as well.

The book is divided up into 12 projects, 5 by Jean-Marc Deschamps who focuses on cinema subjects like a scratchbuilt diorama of Méliès 'Le Voyage Dans La Lune', the Mole from Hammer's 'At The Earth's Core', a dirigible described in the 19thC book 'The War in The 20th Century', a tripod from 'War of The Worlds' and a proposal design for Captain Nemo's watch. In the same vein is a 1:1 scale model of a steampunk communicator. My favourite projects are by Barry Ford who kitbashes 1:35 scale models and featured here is a Martian Excursion Vehicle diorama. The backstory is that after the Martians have been trounced on earth by germs, an Earth Expeditionary force is dispatched off to Mars to 'wipe up' any future threat to earth after first bombarding the planet with more germs. He extends the backstory in the second book with a Martian bus based on the Airfix Old Bill I think. The other project in book 1 by Mr.Ford is a Heavily Armed Steam Trolley, the "Empire's response to the vampire menace". You can see some pictures of these models on the MAD Museum web site, where they are for sale.

Remaining projects are - a junkyard motorcycle kitbashed from Ju88 Stuka parts amongst others, an interpretation of the Confederate Steam Ship Manassas, a steampunk steam 'stage' described as the The Steam Follies ~ using thin metal foil mainly this time and finally, a kit bash of a 1:16 knight into a Vernesque deep sea diver.

Overall I have found the book very interesting and inspiring and will be seeking out the second volume!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: