The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2019, 02:39:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Museum at F.I.T. (NYC)  (Read 611 times)
Nephele
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

MISTRESS OF NAMES

« on: February 20, 2011, 03:08:03 pm »

If anyone here plans to visit New York City between now and May 10th, there's an excellent exhibit going on at the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology.  The exhibit is titled "His & Hers" and it "explores changing perceptions of 'masculine' and 'feminine' dress from the mid-18th century to the present. Side-by-side comparisons of men’s and women’s clothing highlight their differences—and similarities."

Of particular interest to steampunks will be the clothing on exhibit from the 19th century.  I visited the exhibit yesterday, and there were a couple of smart Victorian-era women's suits that I definitely would wear.   All fashions are displayed on manikins and admittance to the exhibit is entirely FREE!

A separate (also free admittance) exhibit on Japanese fashion is also having an extended run (through April 2nd) at the Museum.  Anyone here into Gothic Lolita will enjoy this exhibit as well.

Museum address is:

Seventh Avenue at 27th Street
Manhattan, New York
Information phone: 212-217-4558

Hours:

Tuesday through Friday: 12:00 noon to 8pm
Saturday: 10am to 5pm
Museum is closed Sundays, Mondays, and holidays.

If you take the train/subway to nearby Penn Station, you'll be coming out onto Seventh Avenue and 31st Street, just a short walk to the Museum.   On the way, if you're hungry and looking for good and inexpensive eats, check out The Loving Hut (348 Seventh Ave., between 30th and 29th Streets).  Their menu (entirely vegan) is amazing.  I had the steamed dumplings and spicy lentil soup yesterday – delicious!  The elegant and gracious co-owner, Lisa Wang, is there on weekends, and she serves up a bracing cup of black (or green) tea.  If stronger brew is more your style, after your quick bite at The Loving Hut you can saunter along to the Triple Crown Pub (330 Seventh Ave., between 29th and 28th Streets) before reaching the Museum.  

It all adds up to an entertaining (and very inexpensive) New York City outing.

-- Nephele
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:11:02 pm by Nephele » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: