The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 10:02:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orrery on your Computer  (Read 2884 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: February 11, 2011, 08:09:31 pm »

Might be of some enjoyment to somebody Smiley
Orrery
I dont know if it can saved and used as a screen saver?
(Btw, the planets do not become aligned in December 2012).
How hard would it be to build a Tychonian Orrery?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:19:01 pm »

I just spent a good 10 minutes just looking at that.  Cool

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:28:23 pm »

How much more interesting to watch is the Tychonian version though?  Almost makes me sorry it was completely wrong.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:29:28 pm »

Wow!  Great link!  Added to my favorites list. 

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:32:07 pm »

Also with the Tychonian model- several times a year Mars and the Moon collide  Cool  That would be an awesome astronomical display to watch.  Sure, the fall-out from it would cause all manner of havoc (I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of a chunk of hurtling Lunar or Martian rock), but imagine how epic a last five minutes of life as we know it that would make for.  

~Addendum~

I've just watched Venus get in on the "moon-whallop" action too.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 08:35:05 pm »

Btw, I forgot to add...you can alter paramiters on there, by clicking on the greyed out words.  Grin
PLLman
Swab

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 08:30:05 am »

I am very late to this party, looking for information on Orreries.  Noticed this posting and when to click on the link.  I got that unfortunate 404 error.  I was hoping someone had the content or if they knew where the original item might be found now.

Thanks!
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 01:20:12 pm »

Looks like Dynamic Diagrams hasn't had an update since March 2012 - The internet is a fickle thing and web sites come & go, many just vegetate until such time as the server crashes or someone doesn't renew the registration.

However, some sites get scraped and archived - Fortunately, the Orrery has been saved for posterity: https://web.archive.org/web/20140102151636/http://www.dynamicdiagrams.com/work/orrery/ - Rgere is even a screensaver for those that run Windows.

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 02:47:03 pm »

How about an orrery on your wrist, as worn by Matt Damon at the Oscars for Martian. markf

https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/20986/click

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 08:18:02 am »

Brilliant film, amazing watch, but possibly a bit too blingy and glitzy for my tastes (is it just me, or is the finish and look of this a bit cheap and tacky...?), and at $240,000, possibly a bit out of my price range anyway!
:-)

Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: