The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 23, 2018, 12:18:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Who Lives By The Sword...  (Read 47049 times)
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2011, 07:50:55 pm »

"A good plan, whilst you do that I will go back to the 'Moth and send they crew out on some information gathering... After that I will visit a few less than legal operatives and ask what they know. Any of you are welcome to join me, and if you can tell me where you will be located Mr. Yarrow, then I shall endeavour to meet you there when I am done." Longeye said.

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2011, 10:48:27 pm »

At the Citadel, Lord Kevin Glaishire watched with detached interest as the Golem brought in the body. A rather peculiar crime, he thought. Other actual officers of the watch looked on grimly as well. However, none ventured to make an opinion on the matter. Perhaps something that was better left hushed up?

He yawned and went back to drinking tea in the small antechamber. Things were so frightfully dull. He had hoped to be chasing down dangerous criminals for the watch for a little excitement, but nothing really seemed to come up at all.

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2011, 12:32:15 am »

"If you will allow me to go up to my room to get the rest of my things, I can meet you at your apartment whenever you desire."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2011, 05:04:05 am »

"There's no way to tell how long I'll be out and at the Watch Citadel," Yarrow said. "Somethimes they move quickly, sometimes its as if they have molasses in their veins, and it doesn't help much when I change while I'm talking to them. some of tehm know me by sight and reputation, and are helpful and quick, but others tend to be somewhatskeptical until they see me change, and then they think I'm trying to pull a fast one on them. " he paused, and then said in a wry tone, "it could be an hour, or it could be ten, depending."

He handed the Alchemist and the Captain each a card, and said, "Go to Firebird Island, it's lashed to the Royal Precinct. You should be able to tie up the Shadiow Moth there, Captain Longeye. That's my order's home. Present those cards to the doorman at Number 12; its the house that looks like a Georgian mansion (my father's idea, not mine). The Doorman's name is Umlaut. Tell him that Yarrow sent you, and that he is to put you in Sitting Room 3. There should be victuals and books enough to keep you from getting too awfully bored until I can get home from the Tant-- er, the Citadel."

Yarrow left, and after several rather tortuous turns and twists of path and roadway; he had not enough magic -- nor patience, to tell the truth -- left to use the firebolt teleport. He did, however, use the Cloak of Fire, so that  the Tanty guards would recognize him.

Once inside, Yarrow extinguished teh cloak yet again, passed up to the Duty Desk, and gave his name, Hunter's License number, and request to examine a recent Murder victiM, and which one he wanted to examine, giving the location and name of the Public house, and the time and particulars of the incident. The sergeant told him to "wait over there, I think 'is Lordship moight want ter 'andle this..."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
B.Greco
Officer

Analytical and Difference Engine Enthusiast

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2011, 07:08:22 am »

-the man stands there staring at the card for a little while, then looks at the other in bafflement- "Who is Ennis Yarrow and why do you and I have his card?"

The hand is healed, but the neat little bump that moves when I use my index finger remains.

Please visit http://www.abstrata.webs.com to check out my steam/fantasy tabletop rpg.

"Cogito ergo sum" - Descartes
"Carpe diem" - Horace
"Meus tergum vulnero" - Bryon Greco
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2011, 07:31:38 pm »

The sergeant went to the door of Lord Glaishire's study, and knocked respectfully. "Milord, Hunter Ennis Yarrow is 'ere," he said, "askin' after a body taken by one o' our golems, sir. I checked the number, an' it's the one you yourself was askin' after when it come in. I has 'im waitin' at the duty desk bench, milord, figured you moight want to check it out yerself, since you was askin', beggin' your pardon, milord."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2011, 08:18:18 pm »

[To Greco] "Don't worry old chap, let me just jot down a few names..." he pulled a fine pen from one of his pockets, and a small bottle of ink from another. He quickly scribbled down Yarrow's instructions and pocketed pen, ink and card again. "Why don't you just follow me for now, and we'll see where this leads us, eh?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2011, 10:34:50 pm »

Yarrow went and sat down on teh bench indicated by the sergeant. after sitting motionlessly for a while, he took a small cage-like device with tiny geared and graduated dials and pointers from his pocket, removed a phial from his belt, and poured the phial's contents into the tiny urn-like rservoir in the cage. He closed the lid of the urn, which held a tiny wick, and raised his eyebrow at the device. The wick spluttered to life, and a greenish flame arose and wreathed a tiny crystalline panel above it. Yarrow adjusted two or three dials, and an image coalesced in patterns of soot and flame on the crystalline panel. Yarrows lips moved soundlessly, and he appeard to be speaking silently to the miniscule moving picture on the panel in the cage device...
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2011, 06:25:17 pm »

Meanwhile in a harbor somewhere in the South of England, a strange figure was strolling down the ramp. He was dressed in Khaki from head to toe with canvas gaiters, a wide, black leather belt, and an Indian styled Pith Helmet. His mutton chops were wild-looking, his hair poked from under his hat like straw from a scarecrow. His body was thick, his neck heavily built and his head rounded and bulldog-like. He carried a Blowgun made of copper and iron under his arm, and over his shoulder slithered a Ball Python snake......He surveyed the dock from under his helmet, his eyes peering through his round lensed glasses.....

What do we want? Decapitations!
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2011, 10:15:49 pm »

James went to his room, and gathered his various clothes and things that he had left scattered around. While he had seen some strange things, what had just happened downstairs was by far the strangest.
"Now where was I supposed to meet that mage..." He said out loud, as he finished stuffing the rest of his stuff in his bag.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2011, 10:39:02 pm »

Longeye caught the tail end of James asking where the mage would be.
"Well I've got an address you can take if you want, I'll be willing to bet you can just go right there. If you wanted though I'm going to be flying the 'Moth up so you can always get a lift s it were. Up to you of course, good Sir."
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:31 pm »

The body had long since been picked up by the security robot. It was on his way back to his room that he saw another full robot moving around.
now it's suspicious
He figured some investigation was well in order.
He had asked around several pubs and inns and had found a single one that had witnessed a similar occurrence. It was, if he remembered correctly, one of the buildings he had run across earlier.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2011, 11:52:30 pm »

"if it's no trouble, I will gladly take the ride in your ship." Said James, hoisting his bag over his shoulder.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2011, 12:01:03 am »

Madd watched as the porters offloaded his crates, including several large crates where animal voices growled within.  

"Take these to Market Street, address 120".
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2011, 12:28:02 am »

Longeye stretched himself and sighed. "In which case I'm afraid we're due a walk across some rather unsavoury paths. We shall be meeting with a group of colourful characters before we board though, then the bloody crew. God knows I wait for the day I can fly the thing without them." But the cheerful glint in his eye and his slight grin showed he was joking.
"Barman! Are you ready to give my damned staff back?" He shouted at the man. The barman, a rather large fellow, grunted back and drew it out, throwing it to Longeye. It was a simple stick about a meter and a half long, but topped with a perfectly straight sword about half a meter long. There was a metal box at the join between the two, and it had a few wires exposed, but other than that the thing only looked rather out of place.
Noting the off looks he explained;
"The barman doesn't like me having this out at the bar, so I'm only allowed a sword. When I can though, this is the weapon of choice. There are few people who can best me when I have this with me. Now, anyone who is coming with me-" he exclaimed to the room at large "can either follow or they can meet me at the North east docks, pier nine in about an hour and a half!"
And he simply strode out the door and headed directly into the slums.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2011, 01:23:43 am »

An Hour later, the last of the crates were loaded onto wagons at Pier nine as Madd walked around the cages, checking on the animals inside.
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2011, 03:16:43 am »

james ran out of the pub after him, only pausing to throw a few coins to the bartender for his meal and bed.
"bloody hell thats a weapon." he said, catching up to Longeye. "But, what does it do?"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2011, 06:50:59 am »

It was when a man ran out the door after another patron that he decided he'd perhaps found someone who'd have some knowledge of the deaths.
He followed him in time to hear "What does it do?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2011, 07:40:21 am »

Madd eyed the conversation from his dinner of meat pie and a glass of red wine. The Letter he recieved, sent all the way to the Amazon was cryptic, but said he must come here. Why?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2011, 08:41:33 am »

After a seemingly interminable wait, Yarrow was finally let in to examine the body. His findings were somewhat disturbing. He checked both the beam and teh body four times each with 
-The Thaumic Analyzer: a tiny wooden box containing fire-oriented energetic multipliers and thaum accelerators, with an insulated wire lead terminating in a brass bulb that housed very-fine-gauge copper filaments; a flame-bulb on the box's top brightened or dimmed relative to how much or how little magic (Thaumic energy) was present in immediate proximity to the bulb.

-Corpsefire: A rather 'dark' cantrip used to determine whether or not wizardry was used to cause death in the tissues of a body.

Yarrow checked and rechecked his findings to be sure that he was getting the true readings both from his instrument, and from the corpsefire spell. Each time, he found that the beam contained by far the greatest concentration of both innate and residual thaumic energy; indeed, the wood of the huge spar was so imbued with magic that it fairly dripped with it, and even the few shavings that Yarrow acquired from its surface sang with power. One shaving by itself surged power into Yarrow's energy-starved body, just after yet another change; he had found early on, after the duel that caused his condition, that he was prone to such pseudo-vampiric episodes, simply because he was a magic user and the conduit for using it ran both ways. He pocketed the shavings, and also noted the fact that, aside from the bit that leaked from the spar to the body's tissues, the body was entirely destitute of magic.

"My dear fellow," Yarrow breathed, "Who took such an intense dislike to you?"
 On his way out, Yarrow wrote a note to His Lordship, who had apparently not been interested in this particular case after all:

My Dear Lord Glaishire
I hope this note finds you in good health and fine spirits.  The Body numbered 137-B is an interesting case involving a stake impaling the body, which shows little or no magic or magical residue; the beam that impales the body, however, is so imbued, no, impregnated with magic that one mere shaving complelely replenished me after a long and arduous night of Hunting. I believe this case may merit some Higher investigative attention.

Your Servant,
Baronet Sir Ennis Yarrow,
Recondinia Hunter
Fire Magister
FlameMaster of House Yarrow.

Yarrow then  left and took an aerial hackamore to his domicile.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2011, 04:40:07 pm »

"What does it do?" Longeye asked, strolling along. "Well, I once had a alchemist whip me up a rather unique batch of chemicals that release energy very very powerfully, and recharge themselves. Every five or so minutes I can twist here and here-" he indicated some points on the staff "and the blade will light up and zap anything it's touching... if it isn't touching anything another twist will send a blot shooting from it. That and the fact the wood pole is laced with metal makes it quite a powerful piece of..." he trailed off.
Are you all right there sir? [to Corsair] you look a little lost. Anything we can help with?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2011, 06:48:27 pm »

[To Longeye]"Perhaps I can"

Madd entered the room, his ever present Ball Python on his shoulder. The Reptile recoiled slightly at the activity.

Madd whispered to it , calling it "Hannibal" and returned to speaking to Longeye.

"Toxins, Poisons, one of my specialties.. How can I help you?"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2011, 09:14:54 pm »

"Well sir, we have a bit of a death on our hands and could use all the, if you'll pardon my bluntness, expertise in speciality areas. I don't know anyone one with any real knowledge in poisons, so you are welcome to join us. We're just off to visit some old friends of mine if you want, then onto another acquaintance's resident to coalesce our information." Longeye said, pulling back slightly from the snake. He'd seen snakes do some nasty things to people before, and had gained a wary respect for them. Wary was the key point.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2011, 02:09:08 am »

Perhaps detecting His apprehension, Madd spoke softly.

" Ball python you know. Not known biters. Perhaps when we return, I can examine the body and tell you what venom was used.. Let's visit your friends, sir. and compare your notes with my experience. "

Poisons were the way of life in the jungle where Madd had spent the last decade. Everything smaller than a man seemed to carry death as a partner.
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2011, 02:56:51 am »

"Unless being impaled with a giant wooden stake counts as being poisoned, or you feel like dealing with a mechanical golem, your skills won't be needed." said James. becoming involved in the conversation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: