The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2018, 08:06:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Who Lives By The Sword...  (Read 47749 times)
B.Greco
Officer
United States United States

Analytical and Difference Engine Enthusiast

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2011, 04:36:59 pm »

"Ah sir... your creature seems to have found someone... I think...."  Huh

The hand is healed, but the neat little bump that moves when I use my index finger remains.

Please visit http://www.abstrata.webs.com to check out my steam/fantasy tabletop rpg.

"Cogito ergo sum" - Descartes
"Carpe diem" - Horace
"Meus tergum vulnero" - Bryon Greco
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2011, 05:03:16 pm »

"Indeed," Yarrow answered. "Who are you, Madame?" Yarrow asked, forcing his voice to be neutral. This could, sfter all, possibly be a noblewoman out mixing with the commoners for higher purposes than his own; best to be respectful, as far as was possible within the scope of th job at hand. "Why do you wish to remain concealed? You have little or nothing to fear from myself, if you are not responsible for this man's demise."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2011, 08:58:57 pm »

"I have no stake in this business" Said James, making his illusion disappear,"I simply decided to have a little fun, though I can see now that may not have been the best idea."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:00:29 pm by Man of Steam » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2011, 11:25:39 pm »

"Oh, don't be concerned, my illusionarily-talented fellow," Yarrow said. "I may be a hunter, and I might be bound by law to serve the law, But i am allowed a degree of rein in so doing, and  dispensation is allowed in matters of grave import -- and a murder is probably the gravest import there could be, save perhaps for treason.

I think you'll find me lenient unless you use firemagery right under my nose, to try and thwart my hunt."  He smiled. "But come: it could easily be argued that illusion is not the same as fire-magic in any case. If you have illusionary help or talent to offer, I will gladly allow it's use in helping to track down this murderer and bring him to justice."
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2011, 11:56:54 pm »

"Hmm, well I'm not doing anything currently, and I do frown on murder, so why not. You can count on me to do what I can to find out who did this."
B.Greco
Officer

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2011, 12:36:09 am »

*The man takes a small plate from behind the counter and begins marking it up with chalk. After a few minutes, he has a simple geometrical design of interconnecting triangles in a circle. Setting down on of his samples, he places two fingers on either side of the circle, which then glows slightly. The wood disintegrates into its component molecules, each making a neat pile on different sections of the plate.* "Aha! I have discovered something!"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2011, 02:15:21 am »

Yarrow moved closer to the alchemist. "Truly? what is it?" he asked, intrigued by the quick result. He kept one eye on teh mysterious woman, however.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:18:12 am by MWBailey » Logged
Rosalia
Gunner

Professional Opheliac

MorbidVintage
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2011, 02:43:34 am »

Norah stood there with fright. She was hoping not to be seen, but she had. She sighed and shifted her weight to her other foot. She brushed her brown hair out of her eyes and set them on the mans.

"I'm Norah Seymour." She said coldly.

"I AM THE CONFUSED MALE ALIEN IN THIS RELATIONSHIP!"
B.Greco
Officer

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2011, 04:10:43 am »

"Its wood. Non tampered with wood. Local." -he points to a certain pile- "Thats selenium, which there is a high concentration of in a grove near my home. Id say this wood hasn't traveled over 100 miles in its existance."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2011, 05:06:07 am »

GAHHH... Bloody change coming on again, Yarrow thought fatalistically. And I cannot keep up this expenditure of magic much longer. "That is...most interesting," he answered responded to teh alchemist. HE gasped, then, as a feeling of being doused with cold water passed over his body. in that instant, his body and face changed again, slanted eyes spilling baleful blue light, the craggy face of a denizen of Asiatica Orientalis, topped by hair that was a riot of white, black, and blond tresses, the moustache disappearing and a goatee appearingalmost simultaneously, his black-coaqted from changing to a nearly-starved leanness.

The firedrake golem on the young woman's shoulder vanished in a sudden swirl of wind and flame that burnt nothing, the coin hanging in midair and then vanishing with a bright flash. Yarrow leaned on his staff in a paroxysm of weariness. he had used too much magic, too quickly. he fumbled at his belt for the restorative potion that would keep him upright until he could conclude the tavern investigation and return to his apartments.
B.Greco
Officer

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2011, 05:20:18 am »

"Yes, and you see the concentration of copper between the fifth and sixth loci?" -he looks around, and not seeing the man begins scanning the crowd, looking for him- "Sir" {addressing Yarrow unknowingly} "have you seen the m an who was standing where you are now... wearing... the same... outfit... and... Who are you!?"
Rosalia
Gunner

Professional Opheliac

MorbidVintage
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2011, 06:01:52 am »

Norah jumped back at the display of magic. She pulled her shawl tighter around her. Suddenly, the man wasn't the same. There was someone else standing in the same spot, in the same clothes.

She stared, unbelieving.

"That's quite an ability." she muttered.
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2011, 06:19:51 am »

'What the..." cried James, seeing Yarrow disappear before his eyes.
"You there" he called to the man, whipping out his dagger, "what have you done with the mage who was just there!"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2011, 06:47:31 am »

"I am Ennis Yarrow, the Cursed Mage," Yarrow answered. "You may have heard of me, or you might not have. In a duel with a miscreant transfigurationist back in my younger and less intelligent days, I was blasted with a curse of Transfiguration. I won the duel, but at at a price. You have just seen that price in action." his voice turned wry, then. "I now must walk the world in different guises, for all eternity, never the same face, nor the same body, twice -- and sometimes I change very frequently." He turned to the young woman, and said, gently yet still wryly, "Yes, a wonderful ability, or it would be, if I had any control over it."

He turned back to the dagger-wielding man, then, and said, "Please, put the dagger away. I am that selfsame fop of a mage who stood here only a moment ago," he said, self-deprecatingly, as he quaffed the round-bottomed vial of restorative. In a few short moments, he felt much better. "The night passes onward into morning, and soon the dawn will arrive. I would like to be in my laboratory with your results," he said aside to teh alchemist,"and a bit of this man's blood, by then. I may be able to locate other information with the instruments there."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:02:59 am by MWBailey » Logged
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:02 am »

After a few minutes of sitting, a man burst into the pub with a frantic look on his face.
His first few words were incoherent and rushed but eventually he managed to blurt
"He's bloody dead! I don't know what in the devil's bloody name... HELP!"
He stood up and followed the man out the door and run to the location of the apparent murder.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2011, 11:25:00 am »

There was a crash, and a huge chunk of the wall surrounding the door disintegrated. A large man shaped object stood in the door, and as it shuffled into the room it became apparent what it was. The large brass body, then small head with the glowing crystalline eyes, the hulking arms (one ending in tiny pipes, one in traditional fingers) and the legs that looked comically small on the figure. It was one of the city watch patrollers. Given the task of simply finding and reporting crime to humans, how could then work on solving it, they were nigh unstoppable and fairly heavily armed. They possessed a great deal of strength, and the arm ending in tubes could contain anything from an acid to a flammable liquid.
"STOP THIS IS THE CITY WATCH THIS IS A CRIME SCENE STEP AWAY FROM THE BODY" it intoned completely monotonously. When people were too shocked, or unwilling, to move away, the patroller simply walked towards it and pushed everyone out of its reach. When there was a large enough space, it sat on the body. As it did, the underside of its torso opened, the legs moved to the side and tiny little claws hooked themselves into the body. The whole body was lifted into the chest cavity, and the patroller sealed itself up, standing again.
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION YOU MAY BE CONTACTED AT A LATER DATE TO DEAL WITH ENQUIRIES PLEASE HAVE A NICE DAY" and with that it lumbered out through the hole it had created, leaving only silence in its wake.
After a moment Longeye found his voice once again.
"Bloody hell..."

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2011, 02:38:28 pm »

James sheathed his dagger, and watched the golem come in and take the body away.
"bloody hell..." he heard one of the men say.
"Bloody hell is right, you, fire mage can you get the body back, or at least figure out where they are taking it?"
B.Greco
Officer

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2011, 04:51:21 pm »

-picks up a washcloth and begins cleaning the blood off the floor like its the most natural thing to do, gaining the sample without suspicion-
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2011, 04:58:40 pm »

"We could chase down the body quite easily" Longeye said, very carefully ignoring Greco "But the problem is that the Watch tend to be rather antagonistic towards people who try and stop them investigating a crime. Regardless of whether we are trying to or not, stealing the body won't look very good. If you want to give it a go I'm sure I can get it onto the Shadow Moth and up in the air for a while before they find us..."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2011, 05:28:30 pm »

"I know exactly where our mechanical public servant is taking the body," Yarrow answered, gratefully accepting the blood-soaked cloth from the alchemist and placing it within a rubber bag that he removed from a pocket of the greatcoat and unfolded, opening the article like  a sandwich bag. "taking the Watch Golem aboard the airship would in fact be the quickest way to regain access to teh body, and would save the several hours waiting time required to regain access via the beueaucratic machinery of the watch -- If, Captain, you have some way of containing the golem's destructive potential?" he smiled ryuefully and somewhat crookedly, then.

"Otherwise, it could simply serve as an example to the rest of the citizenry of our fair city of exactly why it is unwise to resist the watch." He continued to smile. "I am a nobleman (a hereditary Baronet) and a functionary of the law, yes, but not a very high-up functionary. If I were someone like Messires Walpole or Disraeli, say, or the Watch Commander, then I might have a prayer of wresting the body away from the Watch. As it is, I, like everyone else below a certain level, must apply at the Watch Headquarters and wait upon the 'machinery' of that institution, so to speak."

B.Greco
Officer

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2011, 05:58:55 pm »

-thinks solemnly for a few minutes- "You know, I know a fair bit 'bout machinery myself, being a mechanic and all... I'm sure if you could get it up to the airship, I could take it apart."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2011, 06:03:00 pm »

"Getting it up there isn't that difficult, I can get my crew to drop down some magnetic clamps and hoist it up in under five minutes. After that the 'Moth'll out run anything the Watch have, and that's before you factor in their deployment time. The only problem is the constructs own defences, will to not be kidnapped and built in alarms. I don't have a clue how to sort that lot out, but as an alchemist... any ideas?"
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2011, 07:35:44 pm »

"Well, what are the possible repercussions for doing something like this? I don't want to be sent to jail for helping you lot."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2011, 08:37:45 pm »

"Well that would be number one... The Watch could pin anything on us; theft of Watch property, obstructing justice, concealing evidence, accessory to murder, piracy, unlawful use of Airship, unlawful use of magics... Going that route would almost certainly lead to some of us becoming wanted" Longeye looked at Yarrow, "Though all you'd need to do is get a different coat..." I would suggest that although the 'Moth has seen her fair share of piracy and illegal... goings on, that we save that one as a last resort."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2011, 02:11:57 am »

"Agreed. Well, I must hie me to the Citadel, then, to see about a wayward body, and thence to my apartments, to test what we manage to secure from said body.." Yarrow sighed. This was turning out to be one very long night. "I at least have the blood, thanks to our alchemical friend, here, so at least we have that, if everything else fails to pan out."

"Anyone else who wishes to accompany me may do so," he added, "just be sure that you avoid doing anything that might complicate our task."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:56:08 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: