The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 21, 2019, 12:30:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Who Lives By The Sword...  (Read 49148 times)
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #225 on: March 06, 2011, 03:53:11 am »

"There is a museum within flying distance... I think about a quarter mile that way-" he pointed south south east.
"If you want we can take the ship or walk, I don't mind. They should be open today, but with this they might have shut. Whatever you want to do, I need to let the 'Moth know though."

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #226 on: March 06, 2011, 07:59:18 am »

"Here's what I need: Fly over the Museum.. If it is shut, I can still break in, and find out who the Geologist-in-residence is, and we can find his residence. Kidnap him if we have to."

What do we want? Decapitations!
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #227 on: March 06, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »

"I like that plan! We can do that... If we get back to the ship... hang on," he looked at Ethan, "How did you get down here? And how will you get onto the ship? We only have two harnesses down here, if you want we can lower one down after we go up? Either way Doctor, I think it time we left this rather dusty place. Yarrow; I assume you can get wherever you need on your own? You don't need our help..."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #228 on: March 06, 2011, 04:29:49 pm »

"I cannot simply 'port into the museum unless its doors are open; given the current situation, I rather doubt that such would be the case. Their doors are probably closed, and their antimagic wards up and running, I shouldn't wonder. Thankfully, though, It's still not necessary to kidnap Professor Corewell." Yarrow pulled a perfectly ordinary-looking pocket watch from the depths of his robes. "I shall meet you at the side door on the west side of the Museum in, oh, lets say... thirty minutes, shall we?"

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #229 on: March 06, 2011, 05:06:25 pm »

"Quite possible if we hurry along. Ethan, I assume you'll be joining us? Unless you have a way of getting there yourself."
Longeye led them back to where the ropes still hung from the ship. He quickly showed Madd how to hook his up to his back again, and then gave the rope three hard tugs. The doctor lifted gently into the sky, before vanishing in the dust.
"Ethan, take mine." Longeye said, taking off his vest and handing it over.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #230 on: March 06, 2011, 05:20:36 pm »

"I cannot simply 'port into the museum unless its doors are open; given the current situation, I rather doubt that such would be the case. Their doors are probably closed, and their antimagic wards up and running, I shouldn't wonder. Thankfully, though, It's still not necessary to kidnap Professor Corewell." Yarrow pulled a perfectly ordinary-looking pocket watch from the depths of his robes. "I shall meet you at the side door on the west side of the Museum in, oh, lets say... thirty minutes, shall we?"

"Who said anything about Magic?" Madd replied, " I was thinking a small gunpowder blast inside the locking mechanism...But if this gentleman has a better method, we can avoid any clashes with the constabulary." The Python tensed a little as  they were lifted up, along with Madd's crate of army ants, "Not today, friends..." He whispered to the angry, seething mass.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:22:32 pm by Dr. Madd » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #231 on: March 07, 2011, 04:39:54 am »

Yarrow set off on foot in the direction of the Museum; he didn't want to use magic this time, as he only had four more transportive vials on his belt, and was franly getting to feel a little stretched. A snack on teh way to teh Museum would be capital, and a cab the best way to effect that solution.

As hge went along his way, then, he hailed a hansom cab that had just deposited another hunter, a fellow from the House of Piltdown, who handled most aspects of Earth magic. Yarrow had waved the fellow onward, with mention of the remains of the now-grounded Sarsen stone.  "I say, Yarrow," the man had exclaimed, "that's awfully good of you, but you should really leave the grounding-out of stones to us, old man. wouldn't want you to get drained or sommat, what!"

Yarrow thanked the fellow for his concern, and told him to not worry, and that he would be more discrete the next time. After Piltdown had gone on, Yarrow spoke to the hansom cabbie, saying, "There's the regular fare plus two sovereigns if you can get me to the British Museum by 10:00, My good fellow..."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #232 on: March 07, 2011, 05:49:48 am »

Madd was in the furnace room. He had skinned the head of the man killed below and was placing several ball bearings into the skin as it dried and shrunk.  Meanwhile He sipped tea and played with that ever-present Python. 

"Captain Longeye deserves a gift for saving my life, Hannibal, " He said, as he stitched up the eyes and mouth and placed a leather thong on the newly minted Shrunken head.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #233 on: March 07, 2011, 10:31:47 am »

Longeye finally got himself winched onto the ship and greeted his First Mate with a clap on  the shoulder. "Any problems?"
"No sir! Everything was fine, the guests have been shown to a pair of rooms and we're ready to sail."
"Good! I want you to set course for the museum and hold above it. I'm going to my quarters to write out a few bits, if any of our guests need anything please send them in."
"Aye aye Sir!" The First Mate said, before moving away and shouting out orders to the crewmen.
Longeye wove his way through the rushing people with a well practised ease, nodding to people as he went, clapping shoulders here and there, occasionally giving an order of his own or pointing something out.
Eventually he reached his own cabin and sprawled at the desk. He threw a few bits of equipment onto his bed and pulled out some paper and a pen from the desk, before jotting down what had happened so far.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #234 on: March 07, 2011, 04:46:11 pm »

"Captain.."Madd said, " As a token of my appreciation I'd like you to have this." Madd held out the newly shrunken head, " Among the Jivaro this is good luck and big medicine."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #235 on: March 07, 2011, 05:03:13 pm »

"My! Thank you very much... I must admit I've received some strange things over the years, but nobody has ever given me a head before! Will you sit and have a glass of something? My drinks cabinet is usually kept fairly well stocked."
Longeye gently took the head, not sure of how resilient it would be, and placed it in a small alcove on his dresser. It had a raised lip on the front so that the contents wouldn't fall out during turbulence.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #236 on: March 07, 2011, 07:11:05 pm »

"Thank you yes." Madd took a seat and helped himself to one of the tasty bottles of Root Beer on Longeye's shelf.

"It is good to see Sarsparilla. " Madd toasted his host and smiled.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #237 on: March 07, 2011, 08:51:19 pm »

"Nothing but the be-" There was a sharp rap at the door. "Come in!"
A panting crewman opened the door and gasped out; "We're here sir!"
Longeye nodded and stood, he strapped the things he'd discarded back on, and held the door, gesturing for Madd to go first. "It seems that we're about to find out some answers!"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #238 on: March 07, 2011, 08:56:36 pm »

Answers would be very welcome. He didn't like the Madd fellow but being with these men gave him purpose. he didn't have anything about his fresh start here really figured out so the longer he spent not having to live that life the better.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #239 on: March 08, 2011, 02:25:18 am »

Madd followed Longeye outside, His Python over his shoulder, blowgun in hand,  following Longeye at their destination.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #240 on: March 08, 2011, 07:55:57 am »

Yarrow's hansom cab pulled up at the sid edoor of teh Museum at about teh same moment that everyone else arrived. he got out, paid teh cabman his gold sovereins, and walked briskly up to teh door and pulled teh doorbell chain. Show us to te professor, old fellow!" Yarrow said to teh Valet. "We have some business of both a professional and a scientific nature to duiscuss with him..." 
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2011, 09:58:48 am »

The Valet sniffed at them, seeing only a few drifters coated in dust. After a second he noticed the cut of Yarrow's clothing, the various equipment he had strapped to himself and the fact that one of them was carrying a huge snake. He thought this was the sort of thing that adventurers from far away places should have, so let them in.
He led them through several small corridors, each finely made but bare and empty. They suddenly turned off into a large hall that contained several very expensive paintings. There was a door set into the wall, and it was this they headed for, simply marked with only a little brass plaque to say it was any different from the other doors.
The Valet knocked and admitted them. As Longeye walked past he whispered to them man; "this isn't your job... why are you leading us around."
"Hard times sir, the museum's nor very popular. I'll leave you to your business."
The group strode into the new room and immediately a sense of chaos and clutter hit them. There were things everywhere, from skeletons (half assembled mostly) to whole creatures, ankhs to swords... The room was a veritable catalogue of... Stuff.
In the very centre was a short rounded man, a thin beard on his face and thinner hair on his head. He was observing some piece of stone very closely and locked up when they entered.
"You here about the explosion?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #242 on: March 08, 2011, 02:37:08 pm »

Madd looked about the room, at the various bricabrac. Such centers of knowledge , to his mind, were wasted on people in cities. The world of brick and smoke and noise and crowding was not, in his mind, conducive to appreciating such works of beauty and art. Some of the skeletons he recognized, as he studied others he was unfamiliar with.  Turning from that, He stroked Hannibal's head and turned to Longeye and the conversation, lest he miss something.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #243 on: March 09, 2011, 07:30:26 pm »

"How do you know about the explosion?" Longeye asked him,
"Dear boy I heard it! Sounded bad. Why are you here though?" the man replied.
"Well it wasn't an explosion. A rock appeared from nowhere and ripped large chunks of buildings apart. We have some samples here and want to know what you can tell us." Longeye motioned and the samples were handed over.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #244 on: March 09, 2011, 07:33:39 pm »

Madd watched as the professor examined the samples.

"Any chance that what happened here could spread, Professor?" Madd asked.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #245 on: March 09, 2011, 07:59:24 pm »

"My honest opinion? God only knows. It's no the rock. This is composed of sand particles held together with silicon bonds... Sarsen. Nothing special about it. There are some burns on it, someone recently discharged it?" Yarrow nodded. "Apart from that there is nothing special about it. It's not even a particularly nice piece, not been shaped or tooled, no markings... it's just a rock.
"There have been legends about Stonehenge for centuries, about how it straddles ley lines... but this rock has no special properties that I can find. Does that help?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2011, 12:00:17 am »

"You mentioned burns," Yarrow said, speculation coloring his voice and giving it an almost predatorial air. "Can you tell what kinds of burns? Was something burned on it in an intentional way, leaving a rsidue behind like a foreign substance, such as an accelerant such as alcohol or paraffin, or perhaps highly-flammable tallow? The ritual or process used to move the stone might be determinable in that manner, if such evidence is present."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #247 on: March 10, 2011, 12:05:06 am »

"Well from what I can tell it's a radial burn originating roughly in the middle of the side this was taken from. The burn can't have been any substance, because the burn rings are too exact. There would be blurring and such between them if it were a chemical of some sort because it wouldn't burn perfectly. I don't know if this was done to remove the rock, propel it or just an accident. Magic isn't really my forte."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #248 on: March 10, 2011, 12:14:37 am »

"Ah, of course. Silly of me." Yarrow said somewhat ruefully. "Can you give us any indication, then, of which formation it originated in? Such as, for instance, whether it might have come from Ireland, or the South Downs, or that outcrop over by the Roman Wall? That might give us some clue about where to start looking for the culprit's trail...
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #249 on: March 10, 2011, 12:33:49 am »

"Give me a moment..." The man cut three very small shavings from the sample and dropped them into three different vials. He ran around the room adding drops of this, splashes of that... some to one vial, some to all three. Eventually he was done, he shook them all and put them in a holder.
The first was brown, the second brown and the third brown.
"Well... I'm afraid they didn't. One should be blue or green. They either didn't come from any of those places or they've been outside for a long time and the markers this checks for have simply been washed out from rain and such."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: