The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2018, 08:06:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Who Lives By The Sword...  (Read 47748 times)
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #200 on: March 02, 2011, 08:38:32 am »

The mage, who he had not met before, appeared in very spectacular fashion. Ethan was startled not by the sudden nature of the appearance but instead by the mode of arrival. The mage had clearly teleported. The other two showed some immediate recognition of the mage, they must have met before...

Again, he thought it best he stay out of the way and act as security, though he guessed he was thoroughly out-classed by the mage.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2011, 08:40:44 am »

While Madd watched the Mage, he looked nervously back and forth, blowgun at the ready.

"I hate cities." He muttered to himself.

What do we want? Decapitations!
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2011, 08:42:49 am »

Mr Madd muttered that he hated cities.

"Better than where I used to live..." He added. It was genuinely true. Once you've lived in a bloodsport game, everywhere is a better place to live.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #203 on: March 03, 2011, 04:09:49 am »

"Not to worry, Captain," Yarrow soothed. "I'll be dispersing the energies into the ground; Teh soil and bedrock of our England is a veritable heat-sink for magic both old and new, " he said, as he produced a pouch of halide rock salt from the depths of his cloak, and began casting small handfuls of it at the base of the stone at the bottom of the crater. He continued thus until the stone was surrounded with a small field of rock salt a mere one-crystal-shard's-thickness deep, like white frost against the blackened, scorched loam at the crater's bottom.

The fire-mage chanted a short chant, and suddenly both the rock and teh field of salt glowed, first softly, then lambently, then balefully, until in a blinding flash the thaumic power that impregnated the stone grounded itself and fled into the earthen base of the bowl-like crater. the rock itself began to crack and crumble, shedding a good part of its former bulk in teh form of a dessicated, crumbling shell around teh still-solid nucleus of teh rock.

"Well, so much for keeping a low profile," Yarrow said, somewhat ruefully.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2011, 08:13:24 am »

Mr Madd muttered that he hated cities.

"Better than where I used to live..." He added. It was genuinely true. Once you've lived in a bloodsport game, everywhere is a better place to live.

"Cities're cages, " Madd said, his southern drawl peeking out from his clipped manner of speaking, a little, " People crammed like farm animals into little houses and flats. No freedom, because they are willing to surrender their very soul for a promise of being taken care of. How's that working out for you? " Madd snarled.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #205 on: March 03, 2011, 08:16:11 am »

"better than matches in actual cages..."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2011, 08:21:11 am »

"Most of these poor fools have had the fight taken out of them. That's why they're in cages. A cage fight might be enough to spark some life back into'em."
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2011, 08:42:37 am »

"A cage fight may spark life, but half of those who enter still wind up dead."
He was getting angry now.
"I've lost friends closer than brothers in cage fights! When someone who has always got your back is suddenly gone you feel so vulnerable you want to curl up and die. But you can't you have to keep fighting because the sadistic masses want blood! You high-class tw*ts can't fathom how scarring and atrocious a life that is! This city may be a cage in your mind, but it has a damn sight more opportunities than the cages I know!"
It was rage, pure blind rage. How dare this ridiculous man say such a thing to him? Did he have any knowledge of the bloodsports he had been forced to participate in?
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2011, 09:15:44 am »

"Do  not make the mistake of presuming my class, " Madd replied, calmly, " Everything I have, I've fought for.. Killed for. I've seen my country overrun by the damn yankees, and I have friends whose plantations fell to Sherman's torch, so don't you lecture me, Sonny jim on life and death. I've made life and death my life.  Cities are cages, friend. And people stay in them because they fear what lies beyond them.  When I finish whatever it is I am fated to do, I shall return to my laboratory in the Amazon, far from these brick dungeons."
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2011, 09:51:31 am »

"You, sir, are an ally only in that which is happening around us. When you return to your jungle I will be glad to stay behind in this beautiful mess of a city."

He turned away from the man.

"Do we have any clues as to what has gone on?" he asked the others.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2011, 09:55:56 am »

"Fair enough. " Madd replied, "And I shall be glad to return to my mansion in the jungle."
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2011, 10:03:07 am »

Longeye watched the energy disperse with satisfaction. It was now safe to enter the area, though he gave Yarrow a sideways look first, and when he nodded Longeye strode up to the rock. It was... a rock. That was it. Having no experience of any geology he knew nothing else. He turned to Madd and Ethan but saw they were having some sort of argument. He decided it best not to get involved; he had a rather short temper that had gotten him into more trouble than he cared to admit, and he would rather avoid shooting someone now...
---
Ethan looked around and asked about clues.
"Well! We have a rock. Anyone recognise it?"

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2011, 10:10:15 am »

"IT would be prudent to get a sample." Madd replied and approached it, geologist's hammer in hand, "See what it is."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2011, 09:07:45 pm »

"Sarsen," Yarrow said, that single word identifying the rock. "There's a huge outcropping of it only a short thirty miles or so from Salisbury Plain. Half of the Henge there is made of it." He shrugged. "As you say, just a rock. It's not one of the Stonehenge 'Dancers,' however."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2011, 09:15:43 pm »

"How common is it? If it's an isolated type we could quite easily go and check it out..."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #215 on: March 04, 2011, 03:05:23 pm »

"And I should wonder what scientific use it might have, too." Madd added, again with Hannibal on his shoulder. The python flicked its tongue contentedly as Madd stroked its slick, shiny back.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #216 on: March 04, 2011, 04:40:51 pm »

"Scientific use? What do you mean by that?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #217 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:36 pm »

"it would depend on what properties, in addition to magic, that it may possess."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #218 on: March 05, 2011, 02:11:02 am »

"Well it would make sense if the rocks they built the henge out of were magical in some way, but I don't know... I've never really studied rock that much; air is more my forte."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2011, 04:08:32 am »

"And Biotoxins mine. Know any geologists?"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #220 on: March 05, 2011, 04:09:53 am »

"I know one but he's in Holland..."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #221 on: March 05, 2011, 04:12:02 am »

"Well if no other alternative presents itself we can be there in just under three days... I'd rather avoid that if possible, God only knows what'll happen to this place..."
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2011, 04:20:34 am »

He didn't really know anyone in England besides Garrick, who he'd rather avoid... even so, Garrick was no geologist.

"Is there a geologists guild around? There'll certainly be a geologist or two hundred there..."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2011, 04:43:37 am »

"He's right. Surely to God, there's a Geologist at the London Museum."
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2011, 04:46:14 am »

"Well, museum it is then..."
He didn't like agreeing with the doctor but he was right...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: