The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 19, 2019, 08:26:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Who Lives By The Sword...  (Read 49037 times)
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2011, 10:11:22 pm »

"I have heard of something that is practised by a small group just off the coast of the Americas. They have a volcano on the island, and their... spiritual leader so to say, draws power from the heat of the volcano and uses it to accomplish things their own mages can't trough natural power. Do you think it could be possible to find a source of energy big enough to do this without drawing on your own magic?"

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2011, 10:36:19 pm »

"Perhaps... In my travels through the tropics, I have encountered many tribes in the South Pacific, many of whom worship the Volcanoes. I seem to recall a Goddess named Pele in the Sandwich Islands......"

What do we want? Decapitations!
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2011, 10:40:43 pm »

"And did you notice the leaders were more powerful? Generally?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2011, 03:58:12 am »

"Their people generally thought so." Madd replied, "Enough they'd sacrifice people to the Volcano."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2011, 04:10:50 am »

"So it is possible that they were all drawing power from this volcano? Yarrow, you've already said magic can't come from nowhere, but what if you had access to a big enough source of magic. What limitations would there be on what you could do with it?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2011, 04:53:49 am »

"Ability, mostly," Yarrow answered. That, and perhaps training, or in some cases a degree of practice in handling huge amounts of energy. One would have to be used to such or risk burning one's self out from the inside." He paused as if remembering something, then said somewhat excitedly, "A machine, such as a temporal transductor or viaductual enabler would make the risk of burnout a great deal less, of course. I wonder..." His vloice trailed off.

"A while back several of we Order-leaders received several reports of someone buying up large amounts of conductive metals in both wire and cast-object form, and also rather massive quantities of casting and whitesmithing supplies. The art of smithing brass, copper, and bronze is a major source of talismanic objects, and ideal for conducting Thaumaturgical Enginery, you see..."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2011, 05:01:15 am »

"All fine and good, " Madd interjected, "But the point of this is: How do we stop it?"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2011, 05:04:54 am »

"If we don't know what it is, then anything we do to try and act against it could make it worse. If we don't know where it's coming from we can't block it... I'm at a loss really." He thought for a moment, then; "Yarrow... you've got all sorts of magical machinery... have you got something that can locate where a specific tree or rock came from? Using it's ambient signature? I've seen it done twice before, the first was completely wrong and the second took six hours to complete and was so vague we ignored it anyway. I guess you might have progressed somewhat since that?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2011, 05:37:44 am »

"I have brought a promising device with me," Yarrow said. "The Origin triangulator, just recently developed by my cousin Hubert. It's based on the Blood Compass, which uses their own blood, or traces thereof, or even skin scrapings left behind on a doorknob or wherever, for finding specific victims and even (in a few cases) their assailants. All I need is a sample from said object below, and it should at least give us a heading if not an actual triangulated beacon line to follow."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2011, 07:19:57 am »

Madd's eyes narrowed, and then his brow raised as if some bolt of lightning charged his brain.

"Can you track living creatures- a chemical trail, perhaps?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2011, 03:52:06 pm »

"Indubitably, if a sufficient blood or tissue sample is available for use." Yarrow said.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2011, 04:01:41 pm »

"We need some of that... stuff then. There is a slight problem, that the 'Moth can't go that low without a dock of some kind."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2011, 06:27:40 pm »

"Captain Longeye," Madd looked up. " Do you have any Grappling hook launchers to hang onto objects on the ground, perhaps? "
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2011, 06:42:22 pm »

"Oh we have grapples, but they fire sideways. If we try and lift something too heavy I'll bet the ship will just flip over."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2011, 06:44:03 pm »

"Do you have an undercarriage door, Captain?" Madd replied, " Perhaps we can drop our grappless above it, open the undercarriage and use block and tackle cables to lift it?"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2011, 12:31:39 am »

"Unfortunately I don't... this ship has vents lining the back, front, sides and underside so that it can be manoeuvred with air blasts... I had to sacrifice a lot to put them in, and an undercarriage door was off the table immediately. We could, however, go down ourselves. I can have the 'Moth stay at this altitude and we could be lowered. You could get any samples you think necessary and we could be bought back up, as long as we don't bring anything too heavy. Much more than, say, 100 pounds in weight?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2011, 12:38:06 am »

"I weigh 276 pounds, " Madd replied, Glumly. "What would we need down there?"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2011, 12:42:55 am »

"My good sir, your weight has nothing to do with it. I simply mean on top of all our weight with distribution in mind, it will be more bother than it is worth to have more than about 100 pounds. I would suggest you bring any collecting gear you need, any containment and possibly a weapon if you have one. It will be pandemonium down there and people will take advantage of it. Several well dressed people are a target, several well dressed people with weapons are to be avoided. I can lend you some things if you need them." Longeye motioned to his bosun and started rattling off a list of their requirements, whilst the crew hauled out two large cranes on either side of the ship.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2011, 12:51:04 am »

" I shall return momentarily.""

Below decks, he grabbed a few reptile collection bags, another pair of blowgun dart quivers, and his blowgun.

Returning topside, Madd looked at Longeye, blowgun in hand, " Who else is going? I may have something to keep the wolves at bay as it were..."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2011, 01:00:13 am »

"Well sir there shall be you, myself-" he spun his 'staff' from behind his back so it smacked onto the deck, "and anybody else who wishes to join? Any volunteers?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2011, 01:02:39 am »

While Longeye looks up, Madd slide downstairs and wheels up with cables a large wooden crate. " We won't need anyone else, with what's in this crate, Captain."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2011, 11:27:08 am »

"What... is it?" Longeye went to open the crate and thought better, gently pulling his hand away from it.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2011, 05:48:24 pm »

"An army of millions, Captain. " Madd replied, and opened the crate. Inside it was lined with smooth, slick glass, and at the bottom a horde of millions of South American Army Ants. " Collectively as smart as a man, and fearless individually. " He produced a dark glass vial. "A drop of this in a trail will lead them wherever we want them, and they will destroy anything that gets in their way. " He closed the lid.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2011, 06:13:20 pm »

"My God... Those things are evil buggers if you'll pardon my pun. I've never seen them first hand before, but I've heard the traditional pub tales of men being eaten whole... Well as long as you warn me before you unleash them I don't see a problem... try not to cause too much collateral, we are supposed to be helping vaguely here." Longeye wandered over to the port of the ship and slipped on a harness.
"These have a quick release on them, just un-clip it here-" he pointed to a little latch "and you can clip it back on quickly as well."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »

"The Game's afoot, then" Madd  replied , putting first his harness, then the chin strap on his pith helmet and harnessed the crate with the crawling, angry mass inside as well. "we're ready, Captain."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: