The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 22, 2019, 08:40:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Who Lives By The Sword...  (Read 48599 times)
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2011, 07:09:53 am »

"And I need to check on my... cargo crates." Madd replied and disappeared into the hold.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2011, 02:04:39 pm »

Longeye watched him go, somewhat suspiciously, but decided to leave the fellow to it.
"Right you daft buggers, why am I not in the air yet?" He yelled, and someone ran up to him again.
"Ready to go Captain, just waiting for you at the helm!"
Longeye nodded and strode to the wheel. It was surrounded by an array of valves and levers that controlled everything from height to rotation (an advantage over the larger ships, the 'Moth used hydrogen to remain perfectly weightless, or close to it, and then used pressurised steam to push it in any direction. this meant it could turn on the spot if needed, and also change direction a lot faster).
He grabbed it and yelled "Brace for take off!" before yanking one of the levers down hard. The whole ship shook for a second, and then rose smoothly into the air. He swung the wheel about, and slowly moved off in the direction of the plume of dust.

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2011, 07:50:52 pm »

Down in the hold, Madd opened the first crate, packed with ice and raw meat. Removing a piece of it, he opened the first crate, wherein seethed millions of tiny, angry bodies in a huge mass of clamping jaws: Army ants! He tossed in the meat and closed the lid, replacing the lock and lead seal. He opened a smaller crate and removed a small, brightly colored bird, and placed Hannibal in a similar small crate, and allowed the python to eat.  Then he removed another such bird and placed it in the crate with a massive hairy spider.

"Dine well, my friends," He whispered, " Your day in the sunlight comes soon."
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2011, 08:25:17 pm »

He arrived at what appeared to be the epicentre but rather than a massive clear space, as would be expected after an explosion, there was a mass of all manner if enormous objects. Giant blocks of metal, iron girders, wooden slats, railway sleepers. Just things.

He ran back to the now acending ship and leaped from a rather high building onto the edge of the gondola where he loudly banged on a window.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2011, 09:40:07 pm »

Longeye noticed a tiny figure jump from a building onto the ship, and ordered a crewman to let him in. "Never thought I'd have to do that..." he muttered to himself. The man was lead up to the deck Longeye was on, and he saw that it was Mr. Forsythe.
"Done your re-con? What did you find?"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2011, 10:07:14 pm »

"um, stuff. Actually just objects, hundreds of odd things that just... Materialised."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »

"Well that seems rather strange... Things don't just appear, the laws of physics say that quite clearly..." Longeye gently swung the ship near the dust, lowered it a touch and told his first mate to take the controls. He walked to the edge of the hole and looked over.
"Damn..."
It was a mess. No explosion would do this, there were no scorch marks or explosive damage, it just looked like somebody had hit everything around. It went in every direction, mess spiralling all over the place. There were some things that looked distinctly out of place; rocks nearly twenty meters long and whole trees.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2011, 10:54:56 pm »

Yarrow raced to the array of glass globes, arcing electrodes, varuious ceramic jars and grandiose-appearing loops and veritable arabesques of brass and copper wire, and threw a knife switch. sparks flew, a wick ignited, and the frosted quartz panel in the midst of the weird assemblage flickered, twice, then coalesced kinto the face of Her Majesty's Seneschal.

"Yarrow! Are you there? Can you respond?! Yarrow!?"

"Yes, milord, I am here," Yarrow said, just as another Change swept over him. He now too the form of a golden-haired youth, athleticbody and all...except that he was as bald as an egg. his clothes hung upon him, making him look as if he were Yarrow's as yet unconceived son, playing at being Daddy in Daddy's clothes. " I can hear you perfectly."

"Yarrow, Her Majesty commands that,
one, you release your regiment to join the others is quelling the city's unrest, and

two, that you get abiout the business of hunting down the culprit of this latest series of events. Is that understood?!"

Yes, Milord. I shall send Colonel Swagg to the Staging Barracks as soon as he can get the regiment mobile..."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2011, 07:44:03 am »

"Captain Longeye..."Madd said, appearing without the ever present Python, That blast-"

Madd paused as he looked at the crater. "Good god! What is this?"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2011, 10:42:16 am »

"You tell us... It appears, and I'm mostly guessing here, that like our friend in the pub something just appeared. A large chunk of wood appeared inside him, and it looks like lots of things just appeared here. Imagine this; something moving very very quickly suddenly appears inside something stationary. What would happen?" He gestured to the destruction below. "That basically."
They looked at it for a moment in silence.
"Hang on... where's the snake? No offence, but I don't want it slithering around my ship freely!"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2011, 03:33:34 pm »

"Slither around freely? Heavens no, He'd get stepped on or hurt. "Madd replied with a shudder to exclamate at the end."

"Hannibal is quite secure in his travel compartment crate. I fed him a young parrot. He's napping."

Looking at the hole he replied, " Question is, of course, what manner of technology or Jiggory Pockery was employed to prosecute this effect?"

Madd eyed the hole warily, fingering his brass and copper blowgun.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2011, 03:54:16 pm »

"Hmmm... Yes, I think you may be right, captain." Yarrow said, floating closely in atop a pillar of fire that had suddenly manifested in midair (Fire wizards are notoriously bad at flying, so they must use fire-related forms of lifting themselves. Fireballs are quicker, but unfortunately they tend to cause massive collateral damage at the point of arrival...). Several people gasped as they realzed who was speaking, and it connected in their heads with the seemingly jarring prospects both of his sudden appearance, and that of what he was riding upon -- right next to the airship!

" I wonde if, perhaps, what is happening is the secondary or tertiary result of experimentation in a new genre of magic," Yarrow pondered out loud. he irritably pulled the cagelike device from his weskit, folded it open, lit the wick, and silence d teh tiny, irritating bell."Yes, Milord?" he said.

"YARROW! What's taking so long!? What was that big Bang?!" The Seneschal's form in the tiny crystalline visual panel gesticulated wildly and demonstrably. the poor man was obviously fit to be tied.

"We are investigating now, Milord," Yarrow said in a rather dry tone, "here," he said, and turned the device so that the panel faced the weird floating, Orbitally-tending assemblage below. "I t is the opinion of Captain Longeye adn other friends of mine that it was a collision in one discreete locality of what appears to be several hbundred items, from large boulders to railway carriages, to... eugh.  Livestock; also parts of several buildings."

we are working to ascertain the oringins of these anomalous objects."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2011, 04:09:55 pm »

Longeye glanced at the man and said "Okay then, if you're sure... And as for that thing, God himself only knows. I've travelled a lot, and nobody has ever said anything about this happening before. I wonder if Yarrow would know..."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2011, 04:15:03 pm »

Madd's large mutton-chop whiskers bristled a little as he stared into the hole.

" I wonder what happens to what was in the hole.  I mean we know the wood apparently disappeared and re-appeared inside the dead man, but this" He gestured to the blast, "Was hardly a corpse."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2011, 06:00:02 pm »

"Knowing of,' 'knowing' and 'suspecting' are all different things, Captain Longeye," Yarrow intoned, catching hold of the rail and vaulting over it from the pillar of fire, which subsequently whirled away to nonexistence. "I know of several things that could produce this effect, and I strongly suspect three or four, but which, exactly, it is, I cannot yet say."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2011, 06:06:01 pm »

Longeye gave a start. "Yarrow! How did I not see that... Hello there. I agree there are several different options, but the process is surely the same? Things appearing in other things. That seems to be the problem. Do you know of any processes that can teleport or transfer something so big and have it maintain it's momentum?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2011, 07:48:49 am »

Polishing his glasses,, Madd spoke up, his mutton chops ruffling with each word, " Is it possible that it was not teleported, but was merely well camouflaged?"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2011, 07:59:58 am »

He had something of an idea.
"The power the Mages use. It has to come from something. Perhaps this is another form of something coming from nothing, just like the magic in the world."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2011, 08:02:32 am »

"at least nothing we have yet detected. In South America, Shamans use a lot of chemicals found in nature in their work."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2011, 12:26:04 pm »

"But surely" Said Longeye, trying his best to keep up with the conversation, "If it were a chemical of some sort, it would have to be put on the object? And there is a lot here... you'd need a lot of whatever it is. If there is such a thing, would any of the colleges know about it?" He asked Yarrow.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2011, 04:09:59 pm »

"Not as much as you'd think. All you need a small explosion that forces air outward from itself.  Displacement, you know."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2011, 04:41:19 pm »

"Magic does not spring from 'nothing,' young fellow," Yarrow said.

He had seen, as he approached, the young man leap off of the Shadow Moth and down to the rooftops below; as a rule, as long as it contributed to the performance of his bounden duty, Yarrow tended to not be too terribly strict about who did what with what -- and sometimes he gave a bit of information out, just to prevent disaster later. This business of magic coming 'from nothing' was just the sort of thing he tried to prebvent from becoming a strong belief, simply because people who believed it tended to assume that 'it' (meaning magic) would always be there or always come back once a supply was depleted; such beliefs had resulted in the destruction of whole empires.

"As this erudite gentleman," He indicated Doctor Madd, " has stated, it is much more a case of 'nothing we have yet detected.' We have 'inklings,' so to speak, of magic's origins, but nothing truly concrete. It does not always come back to the user who drains his or her supply, either. My condition tends to cause a certain amount of magic to always be present about my person, but it's unreliable as a source. Most people do not have the luxury of such a self-renewing source, miniscule as mine may be, and thus can be caught by surprise when it runs out, or worse, fails to return at all. a very awkward situation to be in, in a pinch, let me tell you.

That's pertinent here, because whoever is using so much power is taking the gargantuan risk (proportional to usage, you see) of burning him or herself out, or simply draining their supply. At the wrong moment, such an event, when coupled with the results we have so far seen, could spell disaster for both the worker and his work. He or she might even destroy the city inadvertently."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:30:03 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2011, 04:47:24 pm »

"well said. " Dr. Madd said, as he poured himself an Earl Grey from a nearby Tea Kettle.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2011, 05:43:07 pm »

"Now," Yarrow said to Longeye, "To answer your question, Captain, I know of three particular avenues for producing the result here before us.

1. A series of portals, or wormholes, of some kind. A very dangerous possibility, due to the massive amount of thaumic power involved just for one such anomaly; two or more stupefies the imagination!.

2. An engine of some kind, such as, say, a Time machine or device for transmitting matte rover great or small distances. such a machine could be run on electericity, but it would have to be a truly gargantuan amount of it, which carries its own dangers, or

3. A specific and discrete spell, applied in multiplicity in the manner already described by... this young fellow -- Excuse me, sir, but what is your name?" Yarrow asked genially, "I can't keep referring to you in the second person, it'd be impolite..."
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2011, 10:06:26 pm »

"Ethan Forsythe. And Perhaps there is a larger energy this magic draws from that some people have connection to. Or at least they have connection to an 'alloted amount' so to speak. I'd be clueless on the factual side really but I'm always prepared to theorise."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: