The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 21, 2019, 12:30:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Who Lives By The Sword...  (Read 49149 times)
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2011, 03:00:33 am »

" A lot could happen before all in this business is revealed, sir, " Madd retorted. "The fact is, I was sent a post stating my skills were needed and to meet someone here.
If they were mistaken, you should talk to them, not me. I would have been content to have remained in South America among the headhunters."

What do we want? Decapitations!
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2011, 03:05:10 am »

It was then that he decided he should involve himself. These gentlemen knew a fair bit more about the deaths than he did.

"if 'skills' are what you're after then I could be of more than some service. If you fill me in, I can provide plenty of combat capability."

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2011, 03:09:27 am »

"the More the merrier, but I'm not in charge here. What say you?" Madd looked at the body , using a small knife to scrape at the skin here and there. " This man had some toxin in his system at the time of death."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2011, 07:22:16 am »

Firebird Island smoked and steamed and flamed withg the near-constent, round-the-clock activity of the majority of the membership of the Order of the Flame. every so often, a plume of flame would shoot skyward, or a column of smoke would mark the location of a firemagery ritual or experiment. Teh Island was moored securely to the floating Island of the Monarchical government, which was tied in tandem to the Houses of Parliament and Commons. othe rIslands were tied to thos etwo main Islands, and others to each of the moored Islands. Firebird itself sported more than a hundred floating eyots, Islets, and Islands proper tied to its aerial shores, and more than one house on Firebird had residential air yachts tied to their roof.; teh same was true of all of teh other elemental Islands.

When Yarrow arrived at his home, he hurried inside, and enquired about his acquaintances from the murder scene in the Pub.

"No, Master," Umlaut the doorman and butler answered. "No one has called at our door since the cleaning staff left ove ran hour ago."

"Hm. I wonder what's keeping them?" Yarrow wondered out loud.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2011, 08:31:40 am »

"I have little to add to be honest. As accustomed as I am to dead bodies I'm not too flash on 'cause of death', seeing as the bodies I'm used to were subject to the basic 'death by violence'"
He looked at the body.
"There's been other deaths like this..." he added
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2011, 09:24:49 am »

"It'd take a necropsy to determine whether or not this man was dead when the stake impaled him, But one things for sure.. You see this lividity in the veins under the flesh.. Feel the skin.. Those muscles are taut. His muscles were locking down even before he died. Currare I shouldn't wander." Madd paused to stroke the back of that ever-present Python.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2011, 12:21:11 pm »

"Well an extra hand is never a bad thing... but you are right" He nodded to James, "at the moment I doubt poison was this person's main problem... Now splinters might have done him some injustice... You're welcome to join us if you wish Sir!" Longeye said.

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2011, 06:00:42 pm »

"Of course, sir." Madd replied, moving the python to the other shoulder.

"One thing about the currare troubles me. The stuff only grows in South America unless there is a botanical garden that carries it, or perhaps a truly exotic apothecary."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2011, 07:14:45 pm »

"Well if someone were to have any wild or processed Curare I know who... you guys are going to be glad to know it's where I was actually going. Do any of you know much about London's booming assassination business?" Longeye asked them, looking rather smug.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2011, 07:19:52 pm »

"Not really, I've been in the Tropics of South America, the South Pacific, India, and Africa for the last decade. Though I'm sure that given the trade within the empire, There are Apothecaries in town who would possess the stuff."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2011, 07:29:44 pm »

"Ah, then sir you have missed much. Poisons of all kinds, whilst not directly illegal, are very heavily frowned upon. Apothecaries especially have to have licences to even own them, and the Watch do their best to slow these licences being handed out. A great deal of these apothecaries will have Curare, but they won't admit it to you nor I. If we were informants they would be strung up on the gallows before sundown. The biggest group of assassins are the Timely Blade. They're more likely to have contacts in apothecaries and be able to tell us if anyone has bought the stuff, or if any shops have had it stolen..."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2011, 07:37:04 pm »

"One reason I've been abroad. Civilized people have a tendency to react to misuse by abolition. The Jivaro use the stuff in their own defense and to hunt with. All the rage through the Tropics, you know. Just about anything too small to overpower something else to eat or too slow or small to fight back directly with an adversary packs a chemical punch. The way of Nature, you know."

Madd thought to himself, his hand straying to the small pouch on his belt, where his quiver of blowgun darts waited to be used.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2011, 11:32:45 pm »

With little to add, he decided to sit back and wait for gaps in which he could ask other questions of the gathering.
"where exactly are you headed?"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2011, 11:40:03 pm »

"I'm going to meet with the Timely Blade, have a chat and then head off to my ship. After that we're meeting with Yarrow who is very big in the fire magic department. A few other people are going directly to the ship and missing out the slightly less legal meeting."
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2011, 11:44:32 pm »

He loved airships, he always had. Just something about taking to the skies was glamorous and somehow right in his eyes.
"I think I'll head to the ship with the others. If you point me in the right direction then I'll find it sure enough."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2011, 11:53:01 pm »

"Sure..." Longeye pulled out a slip of paper and his pen and ink again. He scribbled down some directions, stopping for a second to think the route through in his head. Once he was done he handed it over.
"Here, follow those directions and head to Pier 9. The Shadow Moth is a big sod so you shan't miss her. Just tell the crew you're there on my orders and give my first mate the pass code 'Umbris'... he's got a huge metal arm so you won't miss him either." He quickly stuffed the pen and ink back into his pockets.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2011, 01:05:28 am »

"I might as well head off..."
He turned away with little assertiveness and began following the directions on the slip of paper.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2011, 07:38:04 am »

Madd likewise followed, Python in Tow. He had no idea why someone brought him from his jungle laboratory, but He aimed to find out and he was certain that this dead body had something to do with it. He shouldered his blowgun, he approached Pier 9 and spied the First mate..

"Who're you?"

" Dr. Madd.. Umbris."

The metal armed man's expression changed.

"Cap'n send you?"

"yes. if I jot down some instructions, can you send of your crew to collect my bags and my animals?"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2011, 08:21:09 am »

He mumbled "Umbris..." as he boarded. He was somewhat with the man in front, Dr Madd he said he was, and he figured the first mate would assume as much.

The airship he found himself on was nothing like the one he had jumped from only a few hours before. It was less of a formal 'transport company' ship like the one he had taken here but was by no means less sophisticated. Or at least that's what his first impressions gave him.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2011, 11:06:31 am »

Once the two had moved off, Longeye nodded to his companions and continued his walk. They very quickly entered the broken and stinking parts of London; the slums. People sat on the streets in the mud, as the houses themselves were crowded and falling apart. Nobody lived here by choice, unless they had a reason to hide. It was that fact that Longeye was counting on.
He rounded a few corners, working further and further into the squalid mess, before finally coming to a small courtyard. It was hardly worth bothering with, except that the buildings weren't quite as broken as the rest. In actuality Longeye know that they were pristine inside, and that the façade of ruination was simply to deter the Watch, who barely bothered with this part of the city anyway.
Just as he turned and looked behind him to see who was keeping up, he saw their eyes widen and felt a slight coldness at his side. Without any fast movements he turned slightly. The figure behind him was dressed as any other beggar, rags and filth clung to him.
"We're here to see the boss. She knows me."
"I'm sure she does, but unfortunately she's been busy recently." The figure muttered, his voice deliberately masked as much as possible.
"anything to do with the hordes of dead that appeared overnight?" And there was a brief silence.
"What do you know about hordes of dead?" The figure asked him, the weapons he was holding pressed a little tighter.
"Not much, only that there have been a few, and that for the most part they died in the same way. Now put that little toy away, if you were honestly going to kill me I wouldn't mind, but you know who I am and you won't try it." Another pause. The blade withdrew with a click as it was pulled back into the spring mechanism most likely on the beggar's arm.
"Thank you, now what were you saying about bu-"

There was a ripple in the world, as the fabric of existence bunched up for a moment, and then unwound. As fast as it unwound at one end, it was re-spun by something at the other. Then it was done, and nothing was different. Almost nothing.

There was a crack, and then an explosion. It was loud, and very deep. It echoed across the whole of London, from the docks to the slums, the river and the Island's themselves. The windows of the Palace shook, and windows across the city popped gently, showering the streets with glass.
Life stopped for a moment, as every person in the city heard the explosion, and there was a moment of stillness as people wondered what to do. Then there was panic.
People ran, screamed and fell, a few were trampled in the rush to... well, nobody was sure where they were going. The explosion had been so loud and so strange, that it could have come from anywhere. There were yells and whistles as the various units of the Watch tried to impose order, but failed.
In the slums; the beggar looked terrified, and quickly ran away from the group into one of the buildings, ignoring everyone around him. Longeye's first though was his ship. He clapped a hand on each person with him, and then pulled out a vial and smashed it between them. With a pop they all vanished, and when the blur around them cleared; they were on the 'Moth.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:06 pm »

"That was unexpected, " Madd said, seated at a tea-table, sipping a Rooibos, His Python slithering about on the table between the saucers of cakes and cups.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2011, 12:43:35 am »

the Islands of the rich, the noble, and the well-connected floated tranquilly in the lovely sun-drenched clouds above the great city of --

KA-POWWW

Suddenly every bird both low and high took to the air as even many of the windows of the nobility shattered. On Firebird Island, where massive explosions were somewhat more commonplace, the windows stayed put, but the Island itself and those of the Royal Family and the Legislature all swung and rocked and shook from the impact of the shockwave of the detonation.

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL WAS THAT!? Yarrow thundered as the Royal Hotline clanged away...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:28:44 am by MWBailey » Logged
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2011, 12:58:51 am »

Longeye strode across the deck of his ship, the sleek underside shadowed slightly by the wooden "upper hull" covering the hydrogen sacks.
"What the bloody hell was that? Someone tell me something useful!" he yelled.
Someone shouted back to him; "Big ball of smoke and dust around the posh part of town! About three hundred meters south of the river that way." he pointed to what was evidently a large cloud of dust. He quickly ran off and began preparing the ship to take off.
"Anybody have any objection going to Mr. Yarrow? I think we're in a spot of bother.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2011, 01:11:11 am »

"I'll scout ahead. If you know what you'll find there you can better prepare for it."

He leaped off the ship and headed toward the centre of the explosion with his augmented rooftop running. As he neared the event the rooftops became steadily more ruined making the running increasingly dangerous.
He never missed a footstep.
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2011, 01:24:31 am »

"Bloody hell" said James, ducking down and pulling out a revolver from his bag.
"what was that?" he asked the people around him. "it sounded like some kind of explosion."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: