The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 22, 2021, 12:38:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer/Spring Steampunk  (Read 6165 times)
basketbchic
Deck Hand
United States United States

Whovian. Steampunker. Geek.

« on: January 24, 2011, 03:48:11 am »

Hello there! I am in need of new clothes, and with spring and summer on its way,  I have started to look around for/ brainstorm Summer/Spring Steampunk ideas, with little success.  I understand what to look for for the fall and winter months, but what do I look for when it comes to the warmer months?

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
-Abney Park-The Wake (Dream Mix)
Kelley
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:25:49 am »

I suppose it depends on your "character" if you have one, and if not - then whatever your personal sense of style is. I wouldn't go with "what everyone else is wearing" just to fit a cliche.

Take some inspiration from what you believe steampunk is and imagine from there.

Generally, you'll want lighter, natural fibres if you're in a hotter climate, but the rest is up to your imagination. Smiley
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:39:00 am »

This thread has some interesting ideas in it.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27747.0.html

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
ValancyJane
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 03:08:36 pm »

This thread as well:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24259.0.html

"Steampunk makes me feel like we can rewind the future, take tech in new directions, and wear better clothes." Scott Westerfeld via Twitter.
"Steampunk is...a fish...with a cog on its head"
Strange-Sara
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:42:15 pm »

Hello there! I am in need of new clothes, and with spring and summer on its way,  I have started to look around for/ brainstorm Summer/Spring Steampunk ideas, with little success.  I understand what to look for for the fall and winter months, but what do I look for when it comes to the warmer months?

Safari wear is an interesting place to start, and is comfortable is hot sticky weather.  Also, it's relatively easy to cobble together from ready-made pieces, with some easy modifications and accessories.

"From my heart & from my hand, why don't people understand, my intentions...Weird Science."
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 02:20:34 am »

This summer I plan on rocking a sarong and maybe hakkama at some point (and if the girl has any say there'll be a kilt at some point too. Cheesy). Flowy things that breathe well.

Natural fibers like linen. Avoid heavy cottons, as they get a bit swampy. Tongue Linen wicks moisture, as does hemp and bamboo fabric.

Correctly layering light weight cottons works in the middle-east, it can work well in arid climes.
I've used a combo of undyed cotton muslin under a slightly heavier dark linen with good results.
basketbchic
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:38:53 am »

I suppose it depends on your "character" if you have one, and if not - then whatever your personal sense of style is. I wouldn't go with "what everyone else is wearing" just to fit a cliche.

Take some inspiration from what you believe steampunk is and imagine from there.

Generally, you'll want lighter, natural fibres if you're in a hotter climate, but the rest is up to your imagination. Smiley

That's what I've been trying to do. When I think steampunk I usually reference clothing styles from the Victorian era, and kind of mold it to what I think is more...modern day and "punk". I've found it quite difficult to do this with Victorian summer clothing because of how much more restrictive their clothing was. I like what you are saying about a "character" I think I may develop that a bit. Thank you! Smiley

aha! I guess I overlooked this one. Thanks!
Safari wear is an interesting place to start, and is comfortable is hot sticky weather.  Also, it's relatively easy to cobble together from ready-made pieces, with some easy modifications and accessories.

ooh. interesting. I'll definitely look into it! Smiley
This summer I plan on rocking a sarong and maybe hakkama at some point (and if the girl has any say there'll be a kilt at some point too. Cheesy). Flowy things that breathe well.

Natural fibers like linen. Avoid heavy cottons, as they get a bit swampy. Tongue Linen wicks moisture, as does hemp and bamboo fabric.

Correctly layering light weight cottons works in the middle-east, it can work well in arid climes.
I've used a combo of undyed cotton muslin under a slightly heavier dark linen with good results.

I'm sure that will look fantastic! Due to your discription I'm currently I'm thinking along the lines of Luke Skywalker's clothing on tatooine.  Grin  Anyways, I will keep my eyes open for light layering pieces. Thanks!
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 05:28:06 am »

I'm sure that will look fantastic! Due to your discription I'm currently I'm thinking along the lines of Luke Skywalker's clothing on tatooine.  Grin  Anyways, I will keep my eyes open for light layering pieces. Thanks!
Heh, actually.... It's a layered tunic in the style of western Europe C.1250-ish. But a little Luke Skywalker action would work fine too. Grin
Kelley
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 06:23:08 am »

What sort of things are you looking at so far ?

Thinking of even women's summer clothing, I can think of some designs that would retain the feel but better fit a warmer climate and arguably more active lifestyle.

Try to retain textures and details and basic shapes, but don't be afraid to change them. Smiley
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:44:10 pm »

This is an observation not a criticism (quel suprise  Grin), but many Steampunk ladies outfits I've seen have been so minimalist, I would imagine their characters adventuring in the tropics. They certainly go well beyond Artistic or even Bohemian. A look which, although associated by many far more with the sixties, actually has it's roots in the Victorian era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_style

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think summers a great excuse to go Boho myself lol

Suffice to say, taking influence from Victorian/Edwardian era Ladies wear is always an option. ( I think some of the tea gowns are very summery)

And you have all the other influences from around the world too of course.

Steampunk does have it's roots in that period, but it is definately a style of it's own, and we are certainly not Victorians.

Anachronisms, aren't we all!

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
basketbchic
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 02:59:43 am »

What sort of things are you looking at so far ?

Being inspired by the above comments I'm thinking:
General colors: olive green, tan, light grey, dark reds and purples, muted gold, blacks, white, cream, lace, and floral. I usually lean a bit more to the military/post-apocolyptic side of the genre, but I really like the tea dresses, and the layering concepts.

(the trench/belted/romper)

Also, in reference to the above comments regarding layering, I'm thinking of The Great Gatsby's Daisy Buchanan:

I'm also thinking rompers, balloon skirts, olive green capris and shorts.

Shoes:

Suffice to say, taking influence from Victorian/Edwardian era Ladies wear is always an option. ( I think some of the tea gowns are very summery)

And you have all the other influences from around the world too of course.

Steampunk does have it's roots in that period, but it is definately a style of it's own, and we are certainly not Victorians.

I LOVE the feel of the 1st tea dress!!! I also looked into the world influences, and remembered harajuku, and then thought that maybe I could do an india inspired outfit. Cheesy

Thanks for all these ideas!!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:01:26 am by basketbchic » Logged
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 06:10:22 am »

I go all gothic lolita in the summer as I cannot BEAR being hot. Lots of floaty layers, poofy short skirts and accessories. So many accessories.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 11:36:01 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: