Author Topic: The New World  (Read 81551 times)

Rosalia

• Gunner
  • Professional Opheliac
Re: The New World
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2011, 11:58:39 pm »
Everything was a blur to Rosie. She had quickly changed into a shirt, some britches, and a pair of boots. Nobody could find a hat that was able to fit her hair under it.

There was a great ruckus going on, and Rosie could hear her friend's voices mixed with it. She followed close behind Falko, as this was her first heist and she was utterly confused.
"I AM THE CONFUSED MALE ALIEN IN THIS RELATIONSHIP!"

Vancouver Air Privateer

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Privateering off HMAS Landeythan
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2011, 12:45:10 am »
The last crew member entering the boiler-room was apparently not willing to ask questions first and pulled out a pistol, firing towards where his comrades had gone down, the bullets impacting into the piping and causing more damage.

As the man started to reload, Cenek slipped out of the shadows, a wrench coming down hard on the man's skull. Cenek took the moment to relieve the fallen man of his gun and ammunition. However, as he loaded the new weapon, the door burst open again as two armed men rushed in, spying the masked man and reaching for their guns.

In a flash, Cenek turned around and fired off two shots with expert precision, with the calm movements of a duelist. The two men looked shocked before they fell. Cenek's eyes were hard, then softened slightly. Though he had made no mention of it, he was apparently a very skilled shot.

"I had hoped I would not have had to do that..." he sighed, holstering the weapon. "But come, let us go! We are found and must escape and pray that Falko is ready with the boat."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:04:01 am by Vancouver Air Privateer »
"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

Man of Steam

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2011, 01:56:16 am »
the man tried to force his way towards Alex, but was held back by two of his friends
"I bloody didn't steal your wallet!" he said,an angry look on his face.
"Oh really?" Said Alex, reaching into the man's coat pocket.
"Then explain this!" Alex proclaimed, whipping out a red wallet with a theatrical flourish from the man's coat.
"what?, I've never seen that before!" the man exclaimed.
"Liar!" shouted Alex, "When I fell, you reached into my pocket and stole this." As Alex saw this, he saw more of the crew members come towards the crowd "perfect, now to escape he though.
"can someone get this man away from me! My father is one of the owners of this ship, and you can be sure I'll be reporting this!" With an exaggerated flourish, he parted the crowd, marching off to what appeared to be the cabins. Once he got a safe distance away, he turned his head, and seeing that the crowd had either dispersed, or was occupied explaining the crew, he began to head towards where Falko and Rosie would be.

The Corsair

• Defective Inspector
  • Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #253 on: February 02, 2011, 03:56:23 am »
The sound of the tug hit a steamy crescendo before quieting to an idle pattering as it got tied on. No conversation was held between the last two crewmen and the tug crew so he had no idea how many men he'd be facing. Nobody would be looking toward them so he moved his head out to the side to watch the tug ropes being tied to the vessel.

The ropes were tied and the tug began to bring its engine back up to full running power. He guessed the process would take a minute or so.

He held Rosie for a few short moments and let the reassuring nature of her physical presence calm him. his heart rate slowed. He went to make his move.
In a last-minute decision, he handed the pistol back to Rosie. He may have been better off keeping it for the next few minutes but he wanted her to be safe. It was an instinctual decision, his conscious mind was already disengaged.

He sprung off and vaulted over the crates, landing down half-on one of the crewmen, who was also met with a fist to the head. the man went out cold and Falko spun, using the momentum he still had, and knocked the second man down where he was promptly kicked off the edge of the boat. He hit his head on some heavy-looking chains on his way down. Falko half-realised the crewman was most likely going to drown.

He leaped on to the tug and kicked one deckhand in the head, which was quite a feat considering the relative heights of the two individuals, and hurled the other against the cabin wall before disposing of him in the waves to the side.

The door to the cabin buckled quite quickly thanks to the adrenaline-fueled kicks of Falko and the sole man inside had his neck snapped before the revolver in his hand could be of any use to the slowly-reacting man.

He grabbed the revolver for himself and disposed of the man after he had brought the engine down to an idle level once more.

It was then that he truly realised he was on the successfully captured tugboat. He had only a fleeting memory of the combat he had just been engaged in.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Rosalia

• Gunner
  • Professional Opheliac
« Reply #254 on: February 02, 2011, 04:25:14 am »
Rosie was confused at first but after Falko grabbed the gun back she jumped into action. She punched the first crewman who came her way. Her fist made a satisfying cracking noise as it connected with the man's nose. She drew her hand back and shook it, the punch hurt. She smirked, feeling proud of herself.

Once she got into the tugboat, she had to sit down because of the excitement. She grinned at Falko, shaking.

The Corsair

• Defective Inspector
  • Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #255 on: February 02, 2011, 04:55:42 am »
Falko went back out on to the deck to wait for the others where he met a grinning Rosie.
He stood there grinning back and shacking equally as much as her.
He crouched down and held her hand, which he noticed was beginning to bruise already from some blow she must have given during the fight.
His own hands now steadied, he held hers and looked up at her.

Rosalia

• Gunner
  • Professional Opheliac
« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2011, 04:59:26 am »
Rosie looked up at Falko, eyes wide and ignoring the pain in her hand. But she wasn't afraid.

The Corsair

• Defective Inspector
  • Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #257 on: February 02, 2011, 05:15:59 am »
She stopped shaking but through her hands he could feel her pulse racing.

The way she looked back let him know exactly what she was feeling.

He leaned in towards her face, heart pounding

Rosalia

• Gunner
  • Professional Opheliac
« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2011, 05:27:33 am »
Rosie leaned her head towards his and stood don her toes. She was still extremely nervous, but it didn't matter now. For all she cared, the ship could explode right now.

The Corsair

• Defective Inspector
  • Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #259 on: February 02, 2011, 05:33:53 am »
The moments took on their usual habit of dragging into hours.

Their lips met and they sunk into each other while the world stood gloriously still

Rosalia

• Gunner
  • Professional Opheliac
« Reply #260 on: February 02, 2011, 05:41:02 am »
Rosie reveled in her first kiss. She could hear chaos happening around on the ship, but she simply didn't care.

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #261 on: February 02, 2011, 06:47:49 am »
Fergus followed Cenek out of the boiler room, and up through the rest of the ship. he managed to get in front, and did what he had been exstremely good at during the African campaign: bulling his way through the enemy's ranks. He was not exactly a towering figure, but that fact actually made it easier to get under a two-legged obstacle's guard and send him tumbling backward or off to one side.

Several crew members were quite simply knocked down and trampled by the three men, until Fergus held the hatch-door to the promenade deck open for the other two saboteurs, and then slammed the iron waterproof door in the very face of their leading pursuer. Fergus chuckled as he heard the fellow hit the door with a comically-loud CLANNGG, and his compatriots slam into him from behind, causing all five to fall down, probably backwards, and one or two, judging by their screams, to fall back down the inner hatchway ladder.

He  followed a bit behind the other two, and when an officer burst out of another hatchway, yelling, "YOU THERE--!" Fergus grabbed him by the front of his buttoned-up uniform deck-coat, and yelled in response "WHO, ME?!" as the muscles built up over ten years spent first in the army, and then as an apprentice carpenter and Ironmonger, came to good use for the purpose of throwing the fellow over the rail. The officer screamed an indignant, frustrated yelp all the way down to the water, and Fergus yelled "MAN OVERBOARD!" and then took out after his comrades, leaping aboard the tug at the last second. "Weeeel, now, lads 'n lasses," he drawled, his brogue almost as thick as the steam of his breath in the cool night air as he drew himself back upright, adjusting his satchel and straightening his hair before donning the black deck coat he he'd snagged on his way up from teh engine room, "Wasn' that a bit o' fun!" He took the shortaxe from its loop on the satchel's strap, and stood ready to chop the line free when the others arrived aboard. he drew his own pistol, then, prepared to use it to defend the tug...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:00:02 am by MWBailey »
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

The Corsair

• Defective Inspector
  • Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #262 on: February 02, 2011, 07:02:43 am »
Their moment, as perfect as it was, found itself cut short by the pounding of Fergus' team on to the boat, lead by the Irishman himself.
He wheeled around, holding Rosie's hand, and stood in awkward embarrassment for a moment before regaining his composure somewhat.

"Ok, Luke, Julius and Alex should be here soon..."

He marched into the cabin to warm up the engine

Mickey Malone

• Deck Hand
« Reply #263 on: February 02, 2011, 08:00:59 am »
A skinny youth, dressed in rags, loitered in the shadows.
She observed people as they walked past, completely oblivious to her presence. She estimated how much they were worth.
Absorbed in her habitual activity, Anna was suddenly stricken by an affluent looking young man with slicked back hair and a velvet coat, walking with heavy intent.
Rich, she thought. Filthy rich.
She jumped at the opportunity for some loose change, and, donning her cap, started in quiet pursuit.
Louder than God's revolver, and twice as shiny!

Alexis Voltaire

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Shàlle We Dànce?
« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2011, 08:06:03 am »
Luke took the small knife out of his pocket, opening it and concealing it in one hand with the blade against his wrist. He moved back against the wall as he listened to Julius talking to the two crewmen, not quite sure if he was ready for what he would have to do.

I may be able to help... Ashima's voice came unexpectedly in his mind as the crewman came out into the passageway, looking suspiciously at Luke and about to ask him what he was doing there.

Luke noticed his field of vision narrow suddenly, and a feeling as though some intense power was staring from behind his eyes and through them. The pupils of his eyes began to change, shifting from an ordinary bright blue to a pale yellow, and then to pools of mesmerizingly bright, clear gold.

"You shouldn't... you shoul... the crewman started to say, but then became silent, staring at him blankly and open mouthed.

Luke was only slightly less surprised and uncertain than the man standing in front of him. He had only done something like this once before, and at the time it hadn't been entirely effective. He stood still and unblinking, afraid that if he moved or said anything the power would fade.

"Go to sleep..." He heard himself say in a quiet but commanding tone after a moment, and the man's eyes slowly closed and he slumped down against the wall. Luke blinked several times, feeling whatever power that was in his eyes recede. He will remember nothing, but it does not last long. Be quick! Ashima cautioned.

Luke turned, seeing Julius standing in the doorway with his sword in hand, apparently having taken care of the other crewman. He wondered just how much and exactly what Julius had seen. So far he had been able to keep the nature of what he was secret during the voyage, but he realized it wouldn't be so easy now.

"He won't be out long, so we'd better hurry... Long story. I'll tell you later, if there's time." Luke said quickly. "The best way I can think of to destroy the documents is to burn them or throw them over the side, we'd best just take the ones we need with us and get rid of them when we can."
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

The Sammy

• Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #265 on: February 02, 2011, 02:00:12 pm »
A good point... if we throw them overboard they can be fished out, I say we burn the lot and keep our bits... a fire will help distract people as well.
Julius quickly went back inside and searched around for the crew roster and the passenger list. Having procured two thin books he stuck them inside his shirt and tipped the spare oil al around the office. He looked pityingly at the man he had knocked out, realising that the man would recognise them anywhere. He rolled him over and very quickly pushed his sword through the base of his skull into he man's brain. He dies instantly, not even feeling the blade enter.
Once that was done he quickly went outside.
"We need something to light it and then we need to be off quickly. You got anything?" He asked Luke.

Man of Steam

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2011, 05:15:16 pm »
Alex paused. He thought he heard someone.
"Damn" he though, he had to get to the tug and any distraction would just stop him
"I've got a knife and I know how to use, so back off!" he shouted, turning to where he thought his would be assailant was hiding.
"Forget it.." he muttered, running to the tug.
He was almost at the tug, when he saw Rosie and Falko kissing.
"Hope I'm not interrupting anything!" he shouted with a grin as he climbed down into the tug.
"So are we all here?" Alex asked to the couple.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:18:22 pm by Man of Steam »

Alexis Voltaire

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Shàlle We Dànce?
« Reply #267 on: February 02, 2011, 05:56:37 pm »
"Yes, I think so..." Luke said, searching the pockets of his borrowed coat, hoping that the book of matches he thought he had felt earlier was still there. He found it after a second and handed it to Julius. "here, this should do it."

The Sammy

• Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2011, 06:51:08 pm »
Julius quickly took them, lit three at once and gently dropped them in different places through the door. Two of them went out from the fall, but one landed and quickly lit the oil.
"Right my good man, we'll want to get away from here pretty fast. I've got the books with me, and I'm looking forward to your explanations... let's go to the tug." and with the he walked off, as the fire quickly engulfed the room and all the paper. There would be nothing left within about five minutes, and if left unchecked the fire would catch hold of the main ship in ten.

Lyca

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2011, 07:05:47 pm »
Lyca leant back against the rough, unpainted boards of the tugboat cabin and closed her eyes. Having dropped onto the roof softly as the tug passed beneath the stern, she crept to her current hiding place noiselessly. Within moments, she heard the arrival of Falko and the girl - Rosie, that was her name - then the unmistakable sounds of fists meeting flesh. She counted the dispatches; one, two, three... five. All the tugboat crew. She hoped one of them knew how to sail the tugboat into harbour.

The Corsair

• Defective Inspector
  • Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2011, 08:31:39 pm »
It was Alex who had the guts to mention Falko's moment with Rosie.

"Please, Alex, do not let your jealousy go unchecked" he responded with a grin.

"That leaves Julius and Luke"
Before two seconds had passed, he heard mad calls of "Fire! Fire!" from the decks above.
"Ahh, that'll be them."

Rosalia

• Gunner
  • Professional Opheliac
« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2011, 08:43:07 pm »
Rosie grinned at Alex and then Falko.

After hearing the shouts of fire, she looked up, "We better get ready."

The Corsair

• Defective Inspector
  • Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2011, 08:54:25 pm »
With the engine warmed and ready to go it was only a matter of switching the propeller on and driving.

"We should cut the rope about halfway in to shore, that way it looks like a genuine rope failure."

Rosalia

• Gunner
  • Professional Opheliac
« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2011, 08:59:26 pm »
"I agree, if it seems like it's just a failure, there is less of a chance of them coming after us right away. They don't seem like the smartest of people."

Mickey Malone

• Deck Hand
« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2011, 09:27:00 pm »
In the midst of the strangers' talk, Anna slipped onto the tugboat (hopefully) unnoticed.
She quickly hid behind a stack of crates.
"...we should cut the rope...looks like a genuine rope failure...."
"...they don't seem like the smartest of people..."
What in the name...?