The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 17, 2019, 02:08:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A day in Ipswich, Saturday 19th February  (Read 10744 times)
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2011, 12:18:07 pm »

I have just booked a table for 20 at the Mariners Resturant for 12.30pm on the 19th.
That gives us two spare seats for late additions.
However If anybody wants to add themselves to the list for the meal, please let me know asap, so that I can keep the Resturant informed.
Calliope Hawthorn Dove
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2011, 01:34:51 pm »

What a wretched thing to happen.  And we booked a hotel.  We were so looking forward to the whole day and night of fun as our first true steampunk outing.  Well we will defo join others at Cricketers and make an evening of it there, I suppose.

But I probably won't bring my evening dress.

Does anyone know why the IBC suddenly charge extortionate room hire fee?  Is there possibly an element of discrimination or perhaps a misunderstanding of what Club Incarnate is?
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2011, 03:52:10 pm »

Does anyone know why the IBC suddenly charge extortionate room hire fee?  Is there possibly an element of discrimination or perhaps a misunderstanding of what Club Incarnate is?

I don't know but I can guess. Venue is council owned. Council has had cuts imposed. Council decides to put up it's 'rent' to claw back some cash. It's happening everywhere. I really don't know but that seems quite possible.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »

I have done a bit of asking around about this, and I can find no evidence that the council did increase the charges for this venue.
Whist the cost of the venue is doubtless a factor, other information that I have recieved, suggests that the organisers may have been slightly creative with the truth.
I don't want to say anything more until I get all the facts. Also I dont want to post anything negative about Club incarnate, at least until everybody has received their payment back, because I dont want to Harm the potential for future Club Incarnate events, if they can get their present issues sorted out. And I don't want Steampunk in general to get a bad reputation.
However I should have enough information by next Saturday, to shed a bit more light on this story.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:57:02 pm by Mr Addams » Logged
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2011, 03:09:47 pm »

Anyway, The Steampunk day out is this coming Saturday.
It is not too late if anybody wants to add to the booking for the Mariners, but please do so ASAP.
If anybody has any concerns about timing, or meeting up at the venues, please send me a personal message, and I shall let you know my mobile number.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:55 am »

I'm still on for the day but must excuse myself for after the museum visit in order to attend my grand-daughters birthday party (oh joy...)

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Calliope Hawthorn Dove
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2011, 02:07:59 pm »

It is quite likely that Ipswich BC cottoned onto the fact that Club Incarnate really wanted to book dates into future (possibly 6 to 12 months) and they would necessarily need to get a substantial up front payment for that. 

I was an event planner in former incarnation and venues lose lots of money from last minute pull outs even with cancellation fees. 

In other news

I have just discovered (in case anyone is interested) from my boss that St Jude's Brewery is having a grand opening of St Jude's tavern this week.  The Tavern is supposed to be like a real proper tavern withouth the big screen tv and noisy gambling machines.

ST JUDES BREWERY TAVERN OPENING FRIDAY 11TH FEBRUARY 2011

69 ST MATTHEWS STREET, IPSWICH.

18 Real Ales straight from the cask!**

Ipswich Winter Beer Festival 16th  - 21st February 2011

http://www.stjudesbrewery.co.uk/beers.shtml

Doesn't matter to me as I am not much a drinker.  But it sounded interesting.

Captain Sal
Swab

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2011, 08:11:52 pm »

Hi

I would definitely recommend St Judes tavern as a drinking hole for Steampunks - its chock full of antiquated gothic charm (and the staff are fabulous too!) and a vast array of tempting real ale amongst other alcoholic delights!....and its just down the way from the museum..... Tongue

Captain Sal
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2011, 08:20:02 pm »

Indeed I have heard very good things about it, and would respectfully suggest it be considered for the itinerary. Cheesy

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2011, 09:55:22 pm »

It is a little bit close to the day to start changing things around, but 96 St Matthews Street is fairly close to the museum.
I suggest that we proceed to the Cricketers as planned at 5:00pm and possibly have tea or coffie instead of something alcoholic, (Although that is down to personal choice) Those of us who are hungry can get something to eat.
After we have eaten,  those who feel inclined can proceed to the St Judes. (Formally a disused photographers shop.) Now that the evening is cancelled, we have less worry about time.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2011, 03:39:23 am »

Well I just got home, so before I sign off I would just like to say...

Thank you sincerely Mr Addams for persevering with this event. And of course happy birthday to you.

Thank you everybody that came and made it so special (I finally met some actual Steampunks in the flesh)

Thank you Ipswich for being as cool as I always knew you could be (even all on my own I still have had nothing but compliments and genuine interest all night Grin)

And last but by no means least, thank you Steampunk, I think you came along just when we needed you the most!

Best regards

Argus Fairbrass.

PS You may not hear from me for a little while folks, as I'm about to play Fallout New Vegas (and as the game geeks amongst you will know, that's serious business Cheesy)
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2011, 11:33:01 am »

What can I say?

Thanks to everybody who came along yesterday, and thank you all for making it a memorable day.

Pictures to follow.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2011, 04:18:14 pm »

My thanks to Mr. Addams for arranging this 'mammoth' day out.

A wonderful day, a fine itinery, a lovely meal, some fine ales and, most of all, most excellent company. And the rain did absolutely nothing to dampen our spirits.

Hope to meet up with this particular crowd in the not too distant future.

Ps. I too will upload a few pictures once I am recovered.
Calliope Hawthorn Dove
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2011, 07:28:01 pm »

Yesterday was a treat and fabulous first time Steampunk experience.  Thanks to all and especially to Mr. Addams for making it so.

Apologies for any hold ups i caused.  I am a bit slow on the walks.  In the summer I get injections which should quicken my step.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2011, 11:55:24 am »

Excellent day, perfectly rounded off at the St.Judes Brewery (and Public House) - I think I could get used to celebrity status  Wink

Mr.Addams - did you get my PM? We should strike whilst the iron is hot...
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2011, 05:01:05 pm »

Forgive the double post esteemed colleagues of the LoEG&G but I thought this way you will get a 'new' post indicator and it will appear in 'unread' post lists, which you may not if I just update the previous posting.

Photos!

...makes the weather look almost passable doesn't it?

Sadly, the other photos are not good enough for publishing so my apologies if you have been missed out - hopefully you will appear on someone elses pictures. Everybody was so splendid you all deserve to appear on the thread! Massive day - thank you to existing friends (Paul, Rockula and Mrs.Rockula ~sorry missed the name...) and new ones (all the rest!)

ffitz
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:39:33 pm by Angus A Fitziron » Logged
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2011, 10:17:16 pm »

A link to my photos on The Book Of Faces...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=100000361401136&aid=41562
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:22:11 pm by Rockula » Logged
Ambrose Booth
Deck Hand

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2011, 04:49:32 pm »

It was a Grand Day Out. Thanks to Mr Addams for organising and everybody for making it fun.

When's the next???
MillicentFinnVonHerts
Gunner

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2011, 08:00:55 pm »

Larkin and I had a fantastic time, despite the rain haha

I can't wait till the next, thanks for everyone turning up and making it awesome and thankyou Mr. Addams for making it happening.

The Ohara foundation and steam power assisted JCBs will stay with me forever XD

MillieFinn & Nicolaus Larkin/ Jeanette & Lewis
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: