The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 28, 2020, 08:53:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movie inspired steampunk toy  (Read 2478 times)
Mr. Consciousflesh
Snr. Officer
Poland Poland

« on: January 10, 2011, 11:47:11 pm »

It's been a while since I posted here last time. Everyday life is draining my time like a hungry vampire but I was able to find enough free time to make a toy which may interest some of you :

It is a small spinning top inspired by a movie 'Inception" with a base containing an electronic circuit keeping it rotating for hours. In a stable conditions a set of fresh batteries will keep it spinning for over 20 hours .

The upper part of the base is made from a clock glass painted from the bottom with a black paint to give a "black mirror" effect.

And finally the video :
Electromagnetic spinning top - Inception inspired toy

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:00:19 pm by Mr. Consciousflesh » Logged

The reason we chase is lost in romance.
And still we try to justify the waste for a taste of man's greatest adventure.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:13:55 am »

Ahhhh, it´s all just a dream!

Have you ever seen the tops that can float in midair thanks to magnetic levitation?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 01:57:29 am »

Very clever, sir. Well done! Smiley
Dr. Eldritch
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:20:55 am »

Whimsically ingenious!

I'm curious...what's the principle involved?  I was thinking some sort of magnetic principle, but that top looks like it's made of brass, and the last I checked, brass wasn't magnetic.

Regards,
Eldritch

Ennui is the mind-killer.
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:26:57 pm »

I like! Cheesy

Mr. Consciousflesh
Snr. Officer
Poland Poland

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:18:07 pm »

Thanks !  

@Atterton :  You mean The Levitron ? Yes , I know its design but it was impossible to make a brass top like this in the movie floating . It would be simply too heavy . Additionally in order to keep the Levitron spinning you need two large coils and much more power than in this toy .

@Dr. Eldritch : Yes , it is a magnetic device . I cheated a bit and made the top from two parts  
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
so I could hide a small neodymium magnet inside it .  In the base there are two coils : one which detects the position of the magnet and a second one which is used to repel the magnet . A simple electric circuit uses the signal from the first coil to control the second one and also keeps the speed of the top constant .

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:59:46 pm by Mr. Consciousflesh » Logged
cyberjacques
Zeppelin Captain

Inventor, Member of the Van Helsing Society

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:27:28 pm »

Very nicely done, sir.  I liked that movie a lot, and this is just brilliant.  I wonder if one could make a similar device and have it mounted under a table, so the top could just spin with no visible means of keeping it going...?

"To mewl and blabber about a treasure map, in front of this particular crew, demonstrates a level of ineptitude that borders on the imbecilic.  And I mean that in a very caring way."
                                                     ~Captain Amelia of the RLS Legacy, Treasure Planet
Dr. Eldritch
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:54:00 pm »

Thank you for the explanation, sir, and a mighty fine job of hiding the seam between the halves of the top. 

I'll admit that I'm easily entertained and I find this device, like a Stirling Engine, fascinating to watch; they're almost like magic to me.

Had I the mechanological know-how, I'd be tempted to build one myself.  I quite like Cyberjaques' take on the principle...I'd build mine as a globe of Mars spinning on a nice walnut stand. 

Regards,
Eldritch
Mr. Consciousflesh
Snr. Officer
Poland Poland

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 11:38:24 pm »

Yes , you can hide the whole electronics under the table. The range of my prototype is about 2-3 cm but it can be easily extended by using a bigger coils on a bigger core  and/or increasing the input voltage.
If any of you is interested in replicating this toy here is the schematic of the circuit :
Spinner.pdf
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:48:22 pm by Mr. Consciousflesh » Logged
Revd_Jericho
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

AKA Arthur Foot III

karlthulhu
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:40:35 pm »

Beautifully done and terribly ingenious!

My congratulations, excellent work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: