The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 17, 2021, 11:37:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clothing sites?  (Read 3427 times)
NatzTheNutter
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Aka. Miss Natalie Anne

Hi_natz
« on: January 07, 2011, 02:51:28 pm »

Back again asking for help but this time on steampunk clothing sites.

I've seen alot of rather pretty items online but the prices are crazy some are ok but ive seen rings for £83 and guns being in the 100's and crazy high prices like this for clothes and jewelery.

An example: £46 for a plain top just because it has a holster on it (but i still want it as its really pretty)

So does anyone know good sites for items also my major worry is buying from random sites online for the price of these things it would be horrible to buy from a fake site or simply a seller who takes the money but never actaully sends the item.

Gharak
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:04:02 pm »

It depends what you are after? Period clothes, modern clothes with a steampunk twist, or costume clothing? What are you aiming for?

From the site you linked to at £46 for a fake leather holster I can't see it being worth it. Picking up 2nd hand leather shoulder holster on Ebay should cost less than that. Picking up a puleather costume shoulder holster is under a tenner.. and a black t shirt isn't exactly expensive.

As for being ripped off, for anything over £100 I always use my Barclaycard as they cover 100% of any fraudulent online transactions or Paypal as I've never had any problem claiming money back via their disputes process.

If you want to check about for a websites legitimacy, use a service like whois to see who owns the domain name, check for a working phone number and proper address details.

Stella Aberwitz
Snr. Officer
Liechtenstein Liechtenstein

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:08:03 pm »

Look at the stickified threads here: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,10.0.html
Lots of great stuff to find.
Sir Ninian Marsh
Snr. Officer

1st mate of the Discombobulous Airship

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:20:25 pm »

A general rule I go by is that if a vendor is offering an item that is descrided as Steampunk then it's generally overpriced and badly made. I'm not talking about the artisans that work within the Steampunk community, I'm referring to the larger vendors that have jumped on the SP bandwagon.

A good source for items and clothes are Ebay, car boot sales, flea markets, etc.

NatzTheNutter
Deck Hand

Aka. Miss Natalie Anne

Hi_natz
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:31:57 pm »

It depends what you are after? Period clothes, modern clothes with a steampunk twist, or costume clothing? What are you aiming for?

Really anything that wearable as normal clothes

I did see that etsy does have some cheap items but it seems more US based, amazon and ebay do seem good (i prefer amazon but they dont have as much on offer)

As for car boot sales i dont really know of any in my area and charity shops only have a good selection of old fashion household items.
plum phlogiston
Zeppelin Captain

Riding the flying anvil from Moominvalley to Spong

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 05:58:48 pm »

I have to agree that the majority of mass produced steamware is overpriced and looks somewhat fancy dress, which I am presuming is not the look you are going for with everyday wear...

At risk of being really annoying and not really answering your question I do think that a steampunk wardrobe is something that has to be built up over time, keeping your eyes peeled and your mind open to pieces that can be adapted or that coupled with other items will suddenly acquire a hitherto unseen steaminess. It is worth having an afternoon on ebay thinking of the type of clothes you consider steamy and looking them up under a description of what they are, not including the word steampunk!

Equally, have a go at making stuffs. The holster for example...a couple of adapted belts could to the job with the holster formed from some dodgy leather garment found in a charity shop Wink. Provided you have the right needles leather work is pretty straightforward.

Keep on with the charity shops, the good stuff is there, you just have to be persistent and visit as often as possible. New stock goes out every day. 95% of my clothing comes from the chazzers and I have some really gorgeous items among that.

Is there a particular look you are aiming for?
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:09 pm »

It would appear Hell Bunny have started a label called Spin Doctor especially to cater for the "emerging market in steampunk style".

http://www.attitudeclothing.co.uk/category_105-1872_Spin-Doctor.htm

I can't find too much more info and I have no idea as to the quality. But at least I haven't seen any randomly applied cogs yet. The advice on adapting regular clothes to your own look is very sound. That holster T shirt could very easily be emulated for a fraction of the cost, and personally I don't see anything much steampunk about the style of it.

Still, one mans meat and all that  Wink
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:52:47 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
plum phlogiston
Zeppelin Captain

Riding the flying anvil from Moominvalley to Spong

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 07:50:56 pm »

Noooooo! I have been won over by the big bunched-up skirts, they are lovely. Actually I have a couple of Hell Bunny 50's style garments and they are pretty well made so these could be good. Can't help thinking some of them are a bit over-designed but I might just be being a snob.
NatzTheNutter
Deck Hand

Aka. Miss Natalie Anne

Hi_natz
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 08:17:35 pm »

I do have small collection of clothing but its more just victorian mens wear, some shirts and waistcoats in a mix of mens and womans styles.
(I do own some T-shirts but im wanting to get rid of the plain style i sometimes wear)
I hate dresses and skirts i always wear jeans or suit trousers so im fine on finding legwear i like.
But its not very steampunk and yeah its not very lady-like but its what i like wearing.

So yeah searching for shirts,waistcoats,tailcoats etc would find me what im looking for in either online or charity. really its just puting the steamyness into my clothing style.

The holster idea is good but i have the problem of i can only sew by hand so anything that requires a machine i cant make myself.

...Now that i think it's really just the brassy/clockwork Accessories i need.
Gharak
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 08:22:57 pm »

For everyday wear hit the current sales, there's loads of suitable jackets around at the moment, my wife picked up a particulary fine military style wool blend frock coat for around £30.

I've struggled a bit but that mainly cos I'm broke after spending all my money on leatherworking kit.

If you want a holster is it for the look only? in which case have a look for some leather holsters which double up as bags etc, make the accessories useful.

Add buckles, belts, extra straps, rivets etc and industrialise it or embroider additional details to any items.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 03:44:26 pm »

I do have small collection of clothing but its more just victorian mens wear, some shirts and waistcoats in a mix of mens and womans styles.
(I do own some T-shirts but im wanting to get rid of the plain style i sometimes wear)
I hate dresses and skirts i always wear jeans or suit trousers so im fine on finding legwear i like.
But its not very steampunk and yeah its not very lady-like but its what i like wearing.

So yeah searching for shirts,waistcoats,tailcoats etc would find me what im looking for in either online or charity. really its just puting the steamyness into my clothing style.

The holster idea is good but i have the problem of i can only sew by hand so anything that requires a machine i cant make myself.

...Now that i think it's really just the brassy/clockwork Accessories i need.

Hmm, bit of a steampunk female dandy in the making me thinks. How deliciously scandalous haha.

http://www.mybeautyhome.com/n/Fashion-Trend-Female-Dandy-10000084.htm

I assume from your signature you are aware of the Gothic Lolita Boy Style as well

http://www.fyeahlolita.com/2009/11/boystyle-wearing-pants-in-lolita.html

I've always envied the fact that ladies clothing tends to be far easier to find and cheaper than mens. I brought my friend a full lenghth black wool high button double breasted peak collared womans coat (I'm fussy about details) on Ebay for 25 quid. I payed well over 100 to get a similar equivalent for myself. Also a lot of genuine Vic/Ed clothing is often quite small, because many of them were.

Ebay and Etsy are great for accesories and inspiration. Both can be pricey so you do need to look around. But little things like vintage style keys, little watch pendants etc are quite common. And often a lot cheaper than some glued on gears and clock parts labelled steampunk (a very good excuse to charge way over the odds for anything at the mo, so be careful of that) just look for vintage and antique stuff and adapt it to your preference.

Personally for casual daywear I tend to go for the more working class Vic/Ed style. My Baker Boy hat is glued to my head it seems. I've been wearing shirts and waistcoats for years, ties/cravats are optional, grandad collars do the job just as well. I love trousers with button on braces (not clip ons) Oxford style ankle boots (ubiquitous at the moment) it's a classicly vintage look, and seems coincidentally to be quite fashionable  Undecided. And of course it works just as well for girls, (just be aware that if the stuff you wear is all black, some people may assume you are Jewish Grin)

On a personal note, do be careful with things like holsters. I don't know what it's like where you are, but we have a slightly over zealous armed response unit here. I'm pretty sure if I stepped out wearing a gun holster in my area, I'd quickly find myself dotted with laser sights like that guy from predators.

Here is a rare uk source for american made vintage style clothes amongst other things.

http://www.flbwesternwear.co.uk/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:57:22 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 05:35:44 pm »

If you're after vintage clothing, two sources I have used (and received great service from) were:

Style Service (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/STYLE-SERVICE)

Savvy Row (http://www.savvyrow.co.uk/blogs/news)

Very reasonable prices, many many photographs so you know exactly what you're buying, many measurements so you can make a good guess as to what you're looking at will actually fit, they're actually the people I go to when I take it in my head to expand my wardrobe before even bothering with the high street. 

I do think that a steampunk wardrobe is something that has to be built up over time, keeping your eyes peeled and your mind open to pieces that can be adapted or that coupled with other items will suddenly acquire a hitherto unseen steaminess. It is worth having an afternoon on ebay thinking of the type of clothes you consider steamy and looking them up under a description of what they are, not including the word steampunk!

There is a lot to be said for this approach- I've been putting mine together for almost.... 4 years, I think(?) and still even now there are gaps in it.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
CptFancyBreeches
Officer
United States United States

Maker/Airship Captain

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 03:23:06 am »

Back again asking for help but this time on steampunk clothing sites.

I've seen alot of rather pretty items online but the prices are crazy some are ok but ive seen rings for £83 and guns being in the 100's and crazy high prices like this for clothes and jewelery.

An example: £46 for a plain top just because it has a holster on it (but i still want it as its really pretty)

So does anyone know good sites for items also my major worry is buying from random sites online for the price of these things it would be horrible to buy from a fake site or simply a seller who takes the money but never actaully sends the item.

it looks like a plain tshirt with some fake leather bits stuck on, you should skip it and get yourself some real leather belts or straps and make the holster/harness yourself and wear it over a nice shirt or waistcoat. it would look a lot better and cost a lot less than
£46

as far as just victorian style cloths check out www.gentlemansemporium.com  they have mens and womens victorian clothing and its a good place to start

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 03:35:58 am »

as far as just victorian style cloths check out www.gentlemansemporium.com  they have mens and womens victorian clothing and its a good place to start

*Whispers* not if you're in the UK it isn't.
CptFancyBreeches
Officer

Maker/Airship Captain

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 03:58:31 am »

let me amend my statement, its a good place to start for ideas and as a jumping off point in a search for a suitable style. I know international shipping is a pain in the ascot. i am working now to purchase a beautiful leather coat from a shop in piccadilly and the hardest part is getting it shipped from London to the US
Gharak
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 09:58:09 am »

Some of the same lines from gentlemans emporium are available from flbwesternwear:

Recently ordered from them with good service, Callum who I spoke to was most helpful in discussing the items and colours (the pictures on the website are not the best) and ordered in the size I wanted in time for my last steamy outing.
NatzTheNutter
Deck Hand

Aka. Miss Natalie Anne

Hi_natz
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 04:52:03 pm »

Hmm, bit of a steampunk female dandy in the making me thinks. How deliciously scandalous haha.

I assume from your signature you are aware of the Gothic Lolita Boy Style as well

ha ha i could be! But looking at some of those gothic lolita pictures my style is similar to the Aristocrat pictures
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 05:10:01 pm »

I've used FLB western wear to get a few items.
It's run by a very friendly couple who spend a lot of the summer travelling around the country (UK) and setting up shop at all sorts of events.
We managed to find a local event and sneak down the day before the event officially opened to try a load of stuff on rather than buying online.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 05:14:17 pm »

My personal steampunk style is similar to aristocrat and I have to say almost every single fashion shop in the UK at the moment had tail coats in the sale. I own over 20 blazers and tail coats and while some are vintage, most are from TopShop, New Look, River Island and similar. The most I ever paid for a blazer or tail coat was £40 and that was on Camden market.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 05:30:40 pm »

Some of the same lines from gentlemans emporium are available from flbwesternwear:

Recently ordered from them with good service, Callum who I spoke to was most helpful in discussing the items and colours (the pictures on the website are not the best) and ordered in the size I wanted in time for my last steamy outing.

I also recieved good service and help from Callum and I'm building a collection bit by bit.
 Started with the 'gunslinger' trousers and 'suspenders' (one pair black, one pair brown) and will be adding waistcoats and coats as I go.
 I find that for 'accesories' there are always bargains on eBay if you don't get 'gazumped'.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
redcurrydesigns
Swab

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 07:37:20 pm »

I did see that etsy does have some cheap items but it seems more US based

I'd definitely recommend Etsy even though it's mostly US based. Most sellers will ship international and with the exchange rate you can find some great deals. I admit there are a lot of really expensive things for sale but there are also more reasonable costume pieces. For example I sell waist cinchers and corset belts for about $28 to $52 or £18 to £32 on my site at http://www.etsy.com/shop/redcurrydesigns

I've also ordered from clockworkcouture.com and was very happy with their customer service and prices.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 02:40:04 am »

ha ha i could be! But looking at some of those gothic lolita pictures my style is similar to the Aristocrat pictures
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a slight sidenote, that Lolita site? Good lord how many substyles of that are there? And the rules are so....specific! Shocked

I hope to God steampunk never becomes that defined or complicated. I'm getting on a bit now and am far more easily confused these days  Tongue
CptFancyBreeches
Officer

Maker/Airship Captain

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 09:00:11 am »

Hi there, from time to time we offer items which may be of interest.

Wow...the most recent reply to this post is over 10 years old.....till just now
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:32:01 pm by Rockula » Logged
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2021, 12:31:13 pm »

Hi there, from time to time we offer items which may be of interest.

Wow...the most recent reply to this post is over 10 years old.....till just now

And I'm removing it 'cause they've already put a link in Trading which is quite sufficient.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: