The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 19, 2019, 06:02:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The International Steampunk City  (Read 2951 times)
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

Werebears RULE!

« on: January 06, 2011, 09:34:19 am »

(Swiped wholesale from http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=123983284334924):

Time   
Friday, May 6 at 10:00am - May 8 at 8:00pm
Location   Throughout all of Waltham, Massachusetts
Created By   
Jeff Mach
More Info   
Simply this: Never before in the history of the Steampunk movement has an ENTIRE TOWN opened its gates to you, the Steampunk community.

Moreover, this event features over a thousand hours of events, activities, shows, entertainments, interactions, exhibits, games, and other fun--much of it wholly free! And there's more, for this event benefits a good cause--the nonprofit Charles River Museum.

What's going on here?
Allow us to introduce to you (if you're not fortunate enough to live there, or to already know of it) the lovely, friendly, and historic town of Waltham, MA, one of the birthplaces of the Industrial Revolution. Waltham is, in turn, home to the Charles River Museum of Industry, one of only two museums in the world (and the only one in the United States) to have put on a Steampunk exhibit.

This past March, the Charles River overflowed its banks and flooded the Museum--doing an enormous amount of damage. Rather than give in to the flood and close up, the Museum decided to fight back...with a grand celebration! It has teamed up with Jeff Mach (co-founder of the Steampunk World's Fair, creator of the Wicked Faire, The Steampunk Anachronism NYC, and others) - to build a fundraising saga of Teslaic proportions. They, in turn, have teamed up with the Town of Waltham to bring you a completely unprecedented Steampunk experience.

Never before has an event allowed you to enjoy Steampunk (and related) fun on this grand a scale! Whether you chose to purchase tickets for the Museum and various special events, or simply wander through the town, enjoying the many free or suggested-donation events--you are sure to have a unique and incredible time!

Meet like-minded souls! Take in Steampunk film at the cinema, dine with other Steampunks in their many restaurants, see the world-famous Steampunk exhibit, enjoy art from international artists! And that is merely the veriest tip of the iceburg!

Follow this space, and our upcoming websites, for frequent updates of details, new delectations, and new adventures. And spread the word! Spread the word! We invite you! We need you! And we will show you the time of your lives! Come out! Come out! Come out!

(Would you like to participate? While the website will have assorted contact information shortly, you can temporarily contact jeffmach@wickedfaire.com for vending, sponsorship, performing, exhibiting, volunteering, and other information.)

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
ehagney
Swab

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:20:44 pm »

International Steampunk City is steaming up with over 1000 hours of entertainment, 85 vendor, 5 live stages, 3 historic houses, 2 city streets, 2 museums and One amazing weekend.  Interested in learning more visit http://internationalsteampunkcitywaltham.org.  Organized by Charles River Museum of Industry & Innovation, this event blends authentic Victorian history  with the steampunk movement.  Please note Jeff Mach is no longer affiliated with this event.   
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:27:05 pm »

There seems to be quite a lot of ill feeling about Jeff no longer being part of the event if various threads on facebook are anything to go by.

Shame really.  The event held a lot of promise.

BE SPLENDID!
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 12:30:51 pm »

Last year's Waltham Festival (the first) impressed me with its focus on Steampunk from the vantage of the Museum of Innovation. I have avoided all the other Steampunk/Renaissance Fair events in the Northeast because of their sideshow influence, the Waltham show seemed to take Steampunk more seriously. I'll be attending this year as well, I'll be set up inside the museum on Saturday. I hope the vision of the Waltham Festival which was so successful last year can be expanded into this larger city-wide theme, and I hope to meet some of you at the museum on the 7th.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 03:00:54 pm »

I attended Saturday.  Got to meet Will and see some of his great creations. 

I have mixed feelings about the event:

Negative - It was spread over a VERY large area.   Walking miles in my boots left me with sore feet.  Unfortunately, my rocket pack was insufficient for carrying me around the event.

Positive - Some wonderful steampunk items, on display, for sale and on attendees

Positive - Attendenced seemed pretty good.  Lots of people in the SP finest.

Negative - Finding all the different events and displays rather confusing, again being spread out so much didn't help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: