The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 24, 2019, 04:33:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Victorian Boombox ~{Update}~  (Read 7886 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 09:49:42 pm »

Good luck with the rebuild - the casings shown above do look rather handsome. There may very well be some weight savings to be had with the PSU as power supply designs have come on leaps and bounds over the past few years, as would be evidenced by comparing the PSU from a laptop of a few years ago to one today - it's remarkable how much smaller and lighter they have become.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 10:11:14 pm »

Yeah. The easy part is outside. Adding the wooden tablet case will be the most trivial. I may want to add one (or two!) hinges so that the hinge is able to remain open without slamming shut due to the weight of the tablet/case. That is just screws and drilling some brass inserts into the bumper case.  I will want to add a locking mechanism so that the tablt case trap door doesn't just open during transport and eject the tablet!  Shocked

The real bear is to break in to replace those old DIN style connectors. They're a mess. The tonal control plug (red) is a nightmare.

During SXSW in March, I managed to curtail some of the inconvenience of the weight by adding back-pack style straps to the boombox - attached to the lamp bolts which are very strong.

The thought occurs to me that most of the weight may be the subwoofer driver itself  Undecided  in which case reducing weight will be nigh impossible. I laready leave the external power supply chest at home as it is (shown below). but I'd like the boombox to be battery powered is at all possible to be able to showcase it when there's no AC plug in sight.

The laptop style PSU is a really good idea. Also there might be some solid state supplies like those used in Mini ITX motherboards

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:25:35 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 11:49:38 pm »

Running off battery power would probably really mean using LiPo, which could give the capacity required for little weight but of course need very careful handling.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 06:47:04 am »

Good luck with the rebuild - the casings shown above do look rather handsome. There may very well be some weight savings to be had with the PSU as power supply designs have come on leaps and bounds over the past few years, as would be evidenced by comparing the PSU from a laptop of a few years ago to one today - it's remarkable how much smaller and lighter they have become.

Yours,
Miranda.

This will be done in parts. I think practicality demands that I tackle the simplest mod first - just mounting the tablet.

I may have encountered a problem though. Looks like if I retain this box as-is, I would have to remove the dock, which I don't want to do. The corner of the dock protrudes a good 3/4 inch from the bezel of the lid. BTW you can finally see the two black iron hinges I used as mounting brackets on either side of the wooden box. These removable hinges allows me access to the electronics from the rear.

Technically I don't need the dock, since nothing will ever dock to it again.The pre-amplifier could stay in place -it's a small circuit board below the green LED and a sheet of black neoprene. The LED confirms the 5V supply to the pre-amp. The black dock is mounted on a pair of triangular wood "stilts" glued to the side of the box, and the red felt sides are a "false bottom" made from 3 mm craft plywood.

UGH! it's just a shame to let it go and rip all that, and I'd lose the dock's video (yellow plug) output and what is basically a great electrical buffer between my pre-amplifier and the input jacks - plus a remote control volume that is part of the dock.

I guess it'd be easier to build a 1/2 inch wood frame to "float the tablet" above the wooden box bezel. So the lid has to go altogether (not much weight savings there. And a metal plate has to old the edge of the bumper case by a good inch or so - I need really strong hinges now. Minimum two. I can forget about doing that tonight   Cheesy

Photoshopped: It would look very similar to this (it is a monster! But it looks very good)
*facepalm* this boombox is going to be so heavy!

Oddly enough, I can "mount" the tablet/case -inside- the open lid...(not photoshopped)
The copout is that I can just carry the tablet separately and use the existing lid as a "socket mount"
Grin  Why not? It's connected via Bluetooth anyway!! *double facepalm*  Lips sealed

I need to go to bed...  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:36:23 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 10:25:49 pm »

oh my
love the attention to detail

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print