The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 30, 2014, 10:16:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scientist/Explorer Outfit Ideas (or Alchemist)  (Read 3337 times)
Langes
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: December 05, 2010, 12:03:17 am »

Hello,

I am new here yet I have had an interest in Steampunk for a while now and have finally decided to find my first bits of clothing. I have an idea that I would like to run by others "of my kind", as any friends or family usually say I would look "gay". Fantastic.

Suggestions are always welcome.

General Look:

I am unsure if this matters, but I have heard it mentioned in similar discussions.

Eyes: Brown

Build: Thin

Hair: Long Black Ponytail

Beard: Small Van Dyke

Outerwear:

Duster from 1880 Western Wear:

I have a thing for long flowing clothing and I am not sure of the cause. A red long coat would suit my style most (this is where the "gay" part comes in I think), though men's stock colors are very dull so it would have to be a custom order.

This is what it may look like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Accessories/Miscellaneous

I was thinking of black/white clothing underneath (much like the photo above), with a pair of black harness/engineer boots. I had thought about getting a Fedora the same color as the coat, but I may accidentally look like a pimp if done wrong. So I threw out the hat idea. lol

I want to keep the metals all the same color (spectacles, pocket watch, etc). I was thinking of either Silver or the traditional Brass. I will be wearing many small accessories with this outfit, each with a purpose no matter how contrived.

These spectacles caught my eye during my search, but I would prefer sunglasses if anyone knows of a pair.

Thanks for your time,

Langes
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:09:21 am by Langes » Logged
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:32:45 am »

I like this look, even though it says it's for an 'intrepid motorist'.

I think that with a Wolseley pattern pith helmet you could carry the look off quite well.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:35:25 am by Major Wolfram Quicksilver » Logged

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:15:39 am »

Are we talking "gay" as in homosexual or as in daft?

Personally I´m not sure the outfit you describe would look much like an explorer or a scientist. Then again, you never mentioned which type of scientist.

In space, no one can hear you steam.
Langes
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:30:14 am »

Are we talking "gay" as in homosexual or as in daft?

Personally I´m not sure the outfit you describe would look much like an explorer or a scientist. Then again, you never mentioned which type of scientist.

That would be the homosexual gay, simply quoting them though they may have meant both on a subconscious level. lol

This is based on an Alchemist I roleplay in most games, a sort of mad man who brews potions and transmutes with the help of steam technology though he is not shy of the odd adventure. Perhaps using "scientist" was a mistake as I made the assumption that Alchemy was too far into the fantasy genre. Premature, I think as I look deeper into the subject.
Langes
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:39:59 am »

I like this look, even though it says it's for an 'intrepid motorist'.

I think that with a Wolseley pattern pith helmet you could carry the look off quite well.

Could not see an edit feature...

Thank you for the links. This is not exactly what I seek, but it gives me some more ideas and I have to say that I love that hat.
Camillia du Chine
Snr. Officer

Blithely combining Comestibles and Combustibles

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 12:15:05 am »

Decide to assume that "gay" is going to mean colourful and lighthearted (unless you wish it to also mean homosexual - which is just fine  Grin)  and go with that red coat!  My partner loves red, loves dressing the part of a mechanic, and would love that coat. 

These must be your 'going out' clothes (?), as I picture more laboratory type garb for doing alchemy. You'll want some pouches on your belt for gathering materials, plus some bottles and tubes, gloves, stout boots or gaiters, perhaps a face mask/respirator to protect yourself while gathering...?
Langes
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 02:09:01 am »

Yes, this would be the stuff that is thrown on when stepping out of the lab. I was planning for everything else you mentioned, but I never thought of a mask and now I must have one! Something like this would work. I am really into Alchemy (plan to have a lab in my home at some point, just because), so any more alchemy suggestions or links would be great.

I think I have decided on a red coat, as it is what I want. With black I look goth, with brown I am a cowboy and with red I am going to an anime convention (I hate most anime). I guess I will just have to deal with the labels of others. lol Going to have a gay time. Cheesy
Narsil
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 03:12:52 am »

Well there's red and there's red. If you go for an earth toned red, a red ochre type of thing, then it should look distinctive without being outlandish. You'll probably also find that it goes with more stuff.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Langes
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 03:55:46 am »

Well there's red and there's red. If you go for an earth toned red, a red ochre type of thing, then it should look distinctive without being outlandish. You'll probably also find that it goes with more stuff.

Yea, I get the feeling I am going to have to find the right type of red that I like. I was thinking of looking at some patterns and working on my own coat, though I have never done anything like that before. Then, there is a first time for everything and I will likely be sewing extra bits to my clothing anyway.
akumabito
Goggleologist
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 11:59:43 pm »

Long coats don't need to break the bank.. if you buy one in white or a natural color, it wouldn't be too hard to dye it..

http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=RW107&type=store&category=3450
http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=CM90&type=store&category=3940

Langes
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 05:07:36 am »

Long coats don't need to break the bank.. if you buy one in white or a natural color, it wouldn't be too hard to dye it..

http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=RW107&type=store&category=3450
http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=CM90&type=store&category=3940

I suppose you have a point there. I have never dyed anything, so I would have to look into it a bit. It seems rather hard to find a red coat. Hell, I can find a purple coat before a red one and all of the red are from anime I have never heard of. lol

Thanks for the suggestion.
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 03:04:35 pm »

If you're really concerned about getting just the right shade of red, make it yourself. I've made this pattern (the Range Coat, at the bottom of the page), and it's extremely easy even if you're a novice tailor. You can make it with or without the shoulder cape.

Samuel Xavier Watson
Langes
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 12:07:02 am »

Update!

I found a Wild West Mercantile nearby that has a huge antique shop right next to it. Inside I actually found a crimson duster, though, the coat I want would be light and flowing and this duster was both heavy and... Crunchy.
Within the store I found a white long-sleeve shirt, a black vest, black trousers and a pair of black boots. I will be returning to try on a natural duster and see if I like it enough to dye it red. Same suggested by Akumabito.
Now, I just wonder what "metal" would work best with this. I will either go with a brass or silver for buttons, glasses, watches, etc. I am leaning toward Silver as I think it may look better with this outfit.
DrArclight
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 03:14:44 am »

Alchemist with a long red coat....  Hmmm...  Not Edward Elric by any chance???
Langes
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 04:20:56 am »

Alchemist with a long red coat....  Hmmm...  Not Edward Elric by any chance???

Although that is one of the few anime I like, I was planning this before I knew about it. I prefer the alchemy that involves potions and elixirs. (Harry Potter alchemy, if anything.)

Besides, I have long black hair so it would be more like that Hellsing one or the Trigun one since I like revolvers. So much anime with red coats. lol If only they were so readily available...
Xenos
Immortal
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 09:15:22 am »

As far as the glasses you linked in you first post (these), that is actually a magnifying loup attachment for whatever pair of glasses you currently have.

If you're looking for sunglasses that have the look of the glasses in that pic, I'd suggest trying to scrounge up the Burger King "Wild Wild West" glasses (they had both silver and gold/brass rimmed versions, depending on if you liked Gordan better than West-like ME!).  Hard to track down, as all three pair I've found from my preliminary searches have already sold.

That's about all the advice I've got for now!

I look forward to pics when you get it all together!

Regards,
~X

WARNING:  THE ABOVE MAY BE POSTED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF PAIN MEDICATION AND/OR ALCOHOL (read: Don't blame me for bad spelling or incoherence!)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Are you guys ready?  Okay, let's roll.
Langes
Deck Hand

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 03:48:34 pm »

So it would seem that the world of Dyes is not as simple as I would have liked. I purchased Rit Fabric Dye (Wine color) and now wonder if it will turn out too purple or will just wash off into pink rather quickly. The coat was only $70, but why waste that if I can help it?

Anyone know a decent dye to use with a "Natural" duster? (60% cotton, 40% linen)

ValancyJane
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 07:24:14 pm »

This is based on an Alchemist I roleplay in most games, a sort of mad man who brews potions and transmutes with the help of steam technology though he is not shy of the odd adventure. Perhaps using "scientist" was a mistake as I made the assumption that Alchemy was too far into the fantasy genre. Premature, I think as I look deeper into the subject.

That game wouldn't be Pathfinder by any chance.  Because it sounds you trying to create a look like the illustration, as seen here.  In which case, accessories are really going to make your outfit.  Are there any Crafts 2000 by you?  Because I was there the other day and they had test tubes for a nickle each.

Edit:  Reading along, you might want to look at coat/duster used for cosplay as they are lighter something like this, this, this this, orthis
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:50:49 pm by ValancyJane » Logged

"Steampunk makes me feel like we can rewind the future, take tech in new directions, and wear better clothes." Scott Westerfeld via Twitter.
"Steampunk is...a fish...with a cog on its head"
Langes
Deck Hand

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 08:14:01 pm »

That game wouldn't be Pathfinder by any chance.  Because it sounds you trying to create a look like the illustration, as seen here.  In which case, accessories are really going to make your outfit.  Are there any Crafts 2000 by you?  Because I was there the other day and they had test tubes for a nickle each.

Edit:  Reading along, you might want to look at coat/duster used for cosplay as they are lighter something like this, this, this this, orthis

Wow, there is a lot going on in that picture. I have actually never heard of that game. I will have to look for a store like Crafts 2000 nearby as it sounds perfect. As for the coat, I think the one that I linked above is certainly light enough for my needs. I plan to wear some of these clothes everyday, minus the more "insane" accessories of course. lol
Ms Fisher
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 08:52:03 pm »

sorry didn't read the thread properly, ignore me, been a long day

-Now I have dye, yes, thats a  sod. If you dye it and its not all you hoped for you can overdye i.e. if it comes out to pink try a different red (my approch when I get frightend of dyeing things). Check what fabric the dye works on (I would have thought linen/cotton would be fine), and that there's enough of it for the dry weight of fabric. If your really worried you can always see if theres somewhere in the coat (along the seams/round the hem for instance) you can cut a little fabric swatch from to test the dye on. Or, find another cotton linen blend to test it on.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:44:17 pm by Ms Fisher » Logged
ValancyJane
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 09:25:28 pm »

Wow, there is a lot going on in that picture. I have actually never heard of that game. I will have to look for a store like Crafts 2000 nearby as it sounds perfect. As for the coat, I think the one that I linked above is certainly light enough for my needs. I plan to wear some of these clothes everyday, minus the more "insane" accessories of course. lol

Pathfinder is a lot like Dungeons and Dragons 3.5.  The alchemist is class from their Advanced Player Guide (there is another illustration of him on the cover).  I don't know if its what you were going for, but I love the look of the bottles and test tubes hanging off his belt and the barrel boiler backpack as if he's brewing something as he walks along.

Crafts 2000 is very similar to Micheals or Hobby Lobby.  The big difference is the discount area in the back of the store where everything is marked way, way down.  It doesn't look like they have stores outside of Michigan, Ohio, and West Virginia.
Tardisoid
Gunner

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 09:46:04 pm »

You said scientist and I thought of lab coat. I love lab coats. A lot. A lot a lot.
Khem Caigan
Zeppelin Admiral

Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 10:27:57 pm »

I am really into Alchemy (plan to have a lab in my home at some point, just because), so any more alchemy suggestions or links would be great.

Here are a few links that may prove useful:

The Alchemy Website
http://tinyurl.com/y8hfj4

Practical Alchemy
http://tinyurl.com/25xx9a8

John Reid's Course on Practical Alchemy
@AlchemyWebsite.com
http://tinyurl.com/c8xy4w

The Chemistry of Isaac Newton
http://tinyurl.com/knxs3n

Newton Project: Newton's Alchemical Writings
http://tinyurl.com/y8e3ja3

Alchemy Tried in the Fire: Starkey, Boyle, and the Fate of Helmontian Chymistry
by William R. Newman and Lawrence M. Principe
(Preview @GoogleBooks)
http://tinyurl.com/34sga9s

Tractatus Mago Cabbalistico-Chymicus et Theosophicus von des Saltze Uhrsprung
by Georg von Welling
(Read/Download @GoogleBooks)
http://tinyurl.com/32llrea

Collectanea Chemica
(Read/Download @GoogleBooks)
http://tinyurl.com/3yvy7g7

Bibliotheca Chemica:
Collections des Traités Alchimiques

http://tinyurl.com/24qtzhq

"Let us create vessels and sails fashioned for the heavenly Æther, for there
will be plenty of people who do not shrink from the vastness of space."
~ Johannes Kepler, letter to Galileo Galilei, 1609.
Lord Wraste
Rogue Ætherlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 01:19:52 am »

I was wondering how long it would take Khem to show up in a thread with the word "Alchemist" in the title. Grin
(Cool links, Khem)

I've had really good experiences with Procion dyes. They come in a myriad of colors, so you can adjust your tone as you like.
Dharma Trading has good customer service too. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: